The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 3:11 pm

[ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Nicko's Art Topic "Gaster - Undertale" 
SSF2 Developer

MGN Username: KingTremolo
Currently Playing: Super Mario 64, Monster Hunter 4, Sonic Generations
You're most welcome!

I'd just like to add that I really like the hair on the Ellie Jackson picture. The entire drawing has a very good sense of color!

Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:32 pm

Waifu: your dad
Update! Haven't been bothered to update in a while but I finally got off my a** and did some drawing so take a look at these new portraits for a visual novel my friend and I are working on!

Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:35 am

been a while since i updated but im lazy af so i dont draw much
but this one was for school and i thought it looked pretty nice so i put it in the OP, enjoy

EVENTUALLY i'll get around to doing some new work and finishing my current wip drawings

Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:05 am
Site Moderator

Waifu: ElvisDitto
What I really like about your stuff is that you explore different kind of styles so vividly.

I really dig the colours on Fiora, everything just seems really well done, really cohesive, basically what you look for in colours. The end result is a piece which captures quickly. The only thing I'd like to give you, if you're in the mood, is that the proportions and placement of the eyes and nose seem somewhat off which is a tiny bit jarring. But overall I feel like the goods far, far outweights the bads and you should be proud of yourself.

(you can now tweet mean things at me on Twitter @StevenEggplant)

Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:25 am

Steven wrote:
What I really like about your stuff is that you explore different kind of styles so vividly.

I really dig the colours on Fiora, everything just seems really well done, really cohesive, basically what you look for in colours. The end result is a piece which captures quickly. The only thing I'd like to give you, if you're in the mood, is that the proportions and placement of the eyes and nose seem somewhat off which is a tiny bit jarring. But overall I feel like the goods far, far outweights the bads and you should be proud of yourself.

you've pretty much captured my biggest issue right now haha

my skill with lineart is slowly getting worse because i dont really have a defined style when i draw and im currently hating myself atm because of it, i get frustrated easily when something doesn't look the way i want it to so therefore i'm wanting to draw less and less

i've been told my best ability in art is colouring and shading so im glad i can do that well, here's an example of how my colouring and shading looks in someone else's lineart (second to the right at the bottom)

i just get really disheartened when i try to draw a picture myself and there are so many flaws with it that i can never seem to fix myself and i feel like i never have the patience to draw anything so i give up and dont draw anything for such a long time and the process repeats. unless i get the lucky ones out or the ones i need to do for school

Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:08 am
Site Moderator

LyokoBlight wrote:
Steven wrote:

you've pretty much captured my biggest issue right now haha

my skill with lineart is slowly getting worse because i dont really have a defined style when i draw and im currently hating myself atm because of it, i get frustrated easily when something doesn't look the way i want it to so therefore i'm wanting to draw less and less

i've been told my best ability in art is colouring and shading so im glad i can do that well, here's an example of how my colouring and shading looks in someone else's lineart (second to the right at the bottom)

i just get really disheartened when i try to draw a picture myself and there are so many flaws with it that i can never seem to fix myself and i feel like i never have the patience to draw anything so i give up and dont draw anything for such a long time and the process repeats. unless i get the lucky ones out or the ones i need to do for school

Alright first of all I want to say that I love you and your art and I'm sad you feel bad about yourself because of your art. If you ever need someone to talk about this kind of stuff I'm here to hang out with you pal.

Secondly, you and I are very similair in these aspects. I'm not going to bore you with the quasi-inspiration 'don't feel bad about not improving just draw and you will improve' stuff since I think we've both heard those lines already (not that they aren't true though). It can be difficult to improve, even moreso because in this day and age since you're constantly aware of all the artists better than you on things like Tumblr and dA and not measuring up to the can be dissattisfying

HOWEVER

There are people that like your stuff, I like your stuff very much for example. Do remember that. There are people that look at you the same way that you might look at other artists and I figure that that's great, right? Whilst it's definetly worthwhile to sometimes take a step back and evaluate (or have others evaluate them!) your drawings by picking out stuff you don't like, it can be just as insightful to pick out the stuff you do like about it. So maybe the proportions aren't quite right, but the shapes, style and accuracy with which you've drawn your stuff is great. Empathise on that. Do not worry too much about defining a style, as it will come gradually.

When you draw, you get this pretty picture in your head and you're like "Alright! This is what I wanna make". This picture draws upon your influences and what you like in the art and thereby the skills of others. Then when you draw, the result that you produce will be determined by your own skill and motoric skills. Having the two not match up can be frustrating, but think of it the other way around; the actual drawn picture has various strenghts. Adjust your mental picture/expectation accordingly. Eventually the two will start to match up.

When you want to practise with style, make lots and lots of sketches. Pick one character, Poliwrath or so, and draw him multiple times. Draw him as fast as possible. Eventually you'll see that you will do certain things to draw as comfortably as possible. You'll develop the specific brush strokes you find comfortable.

If you want to do quick excercises with sketches, I have one that I always like to start with
-Go to Bulbapedia
-Hit 'random page'
-When you get a pokémon, draw this pokémon under 1 minute

I hope this may have helped you a bit or at least inspired in some way. I love you and I love your artwork and you've come so far already, so I hope you'll find more and more joy in crafting art.

Many hugs from me to you.

Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:25 am

Steven wrote:
Alright first of all I want to say that I love you and your art and I'm sad you feel bad about yourself because of your art. If you ever need someone to talk about this kind of stuff I'm here to hang out with you pal.

Secondly, you and I are very similair in these aspects. I'm not going to bore you with the quasi-inspiration 'don't feel bad about not improving just draw and you will improve' stuff since I think we've both heard those lines already (not that they aren't true though). It can be difficult to improve, even moreso because in this day and age since you're constantly aware of all the artists better than you on things like Tumblr and dA and not measuring up to the can be dissattisfying

HOWEVER

There are people that like your stuff, I like your stuff very much for example. Do remember that. There are people that look at you the same way that you might look at other artists and I figure that that's great, right? Whilst it's definetly worthwhile to sometimes take a step back and evaluate (or have others evaluate them!) your drawings by picking out stuff you don't like, it can be just as insightful to pick out the stuff you do like about it. So maybe the proportions aren't quite right, but the shapes, style and accuracy with which you've drawn your stuff is great. Empathise on that. Do not worry too much about defining a style, as it will come gradually.

When you draw, you get this pretty picture in your head and you're like "Alright! This is what I wanna make". This picture draws upon your influences and what you like in the art and thereby the skills of others. Then when you draw, the result that you produce will be determined by your own skill and motoric skills. Having the two not match up can be frustrating, but think of it the other way around; the actual drawn picture has various strenghts. Adjust your mental picture/expectation accordingly. Eventually the two will start to match up.

When you want to practise with style, make lots and lots of sketches. Pick one character, Poliwrath or so, and draw him multiple times. Draw him as fast as possible. Eventually you'll see that you will do certain things to draw as comfortably as possible. You'll develop the specific brush strokes you find comfortable.

If you want to do quick excercises with sketches, I have one that I always like to start with
-Go to Bulbapedia
-Hit 'random page'
-When you get a pokémon, draw this pokémon under 1 minute

I hope this may have helped you a bit or at least inspired in some way. I love you and I love your artwork and you've come so far already, so I hope you'll find more and more joy in crafting art.

Many hugs from me to you.

it really helps to know that someone is in the same boat as i am, it's been lonely ;-;

im so thankful for everything that you've said about finding the unique and appealing parts of my drawings and that i should appreciate every drawing i do even if they don't come out the way i thought they would come out in my head. i'll always take this into account now and i feel like it'll really help me out mentally

with the style practice thing, should i do it on a character i'm not familiar with? or someone i'm comfortable with drawing?

Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:32 pm
Site Moderator

LyokoBlight wrote:
it really helps to know that someone is in the same boat as i am, it's been lonely ;-;

im so thankful for everything that you've said about finding the unique and appealing parts of my drawings and that i should appreciate every drawing i do even if they don't come out the way i thought they would come out in my head. i'll always take this into account now and i feel like it'll really help me out mentally

with the style practice thing, should i do it on a character i'm not familiar with? or someone i'm comfortable with drawing?

If you ever need a bud to hang out with just let me know <3

As for practise, I think both familair and unfamilair have differennt pros and cons. With familair characters you know where the details are but with unfamilair characters you get more out of your comfort zone,since you try out new stuff. If you want to draw as quick as possible with a character you're unfamilair with things could get pretty challenging if you're in the mood for that.

Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:50 am

Steven wrote:
If you ever need a bud to hang out with just let me know <3

As for practise, I think both familair and unfamilair have differennt pros and cons. With familair characters you know where the details are but with unfamilair characters you get more out of your comfort zone,since you try out new stuff. If you want to draw as quick as possible with a character you're unfamilair with things could get pretty challenging if you're in the mood for that.

thanks for the tip, ill try out both sometime this week and post the results here. hopefully i should get over my self hatred lol

Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:36 am

UPDATE: Started my Sketch-a-Day Challenge! How this works is I draw at least one thing each day and post it even if I think it looks bad. The point of this is it's supposed to help me discover my art style and what I'm best at doing. I can test out many different techniques and artstyles to find out my own unique style.

I've updated to original post to include my new twitter account that's made specifically for posting my sketches for this challenge. Go check it out!

Day 1:
Steven and Lion: show

Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:37 am

Day 2:
Steven Proportions: show

Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:39 am

Day 3:
Unnamed Android: show

Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:02 am

Day 4:
viktor nicolas sketches: show

Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:09 am
Site Moderator

I really like all the sketches so far!

Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:29 am

thank you very much! i personally only like day 1-2.
it seems my old style is getting worse the more i try it, i think i should move on to new artstyles. i'll probably try something more cartoony and simple.

Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:40 am
 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next