The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 3:11 pm

[ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Reimu's Stuff 

Kittenpuncher wrote:
Zeldas looks Egyptian

I didn't mean to do that make her look like anything in particular, but if you can associate a nationality to it then I'll take that as progress

Text block - You can and probably should skip this - rambling: show
Whenever I post some amount of words, I feel like I'm treating this topic/place a lot like a blog, but most of the time I feel like it's related so I sort of keep going with it. I don't know if it's because of posting here or not (or maybe it's because of the summer vibe), but whenever I stop posting here I'm mostly not drawing at all on the computer (which is why I don't really have drawing dumps when I stop updating). I believe this might be because this is the only place where I post what I draw. So the solution I came up with is to move to deviantart or tumblr (I'm leaning more towards DA over tumblr since I'm more familiar with it) to post some stuff that I don't really want to post here, there. That being said, I have no idea what the pros or cons of either one is, which is part of the reason why I haven't started on either (the other is that starting/moving is terrifying). Or this could all be an elaborate ploy that my brain thought up to convince myself that I'm not being lazy. That and I really do think summer is making me lazy.

Anyways, going back to what I feel I should and shouldn't post here (and probably in my pixel art topic too). What I "feel" like I should post here is stuff more specific to Nintendo and interactions I have with people I talk to here (which is also part of the reason why I haven't been drawing). So that means that I "feel" like I shouldn't post anything outside of that in my topics. And I know this all sort of sounds ridiculous, but it's just how I feel.

Going back to drawing, part of why I didn't feel like drawing is a multitude of reasons including the ones stated above. Apparently I have gotten to a point where I really don't want to draw smash characters, and I say smash characters because I don't really play a lot of Nintendo games (or games in general). It's either I got really bored of drawing them, I really hate how I draw them or the feel I get when I draw them, parts of them just don't register (like Peach and Rosalina's hair), or a combination.

Enough about feelings, I still have been drawing just not on the computer. I tried coloured pencils recently and am very sad because I made my drawing look very bad. I think this is because I can't tell values of colours so I can't get the right shade, but it'd also be coupled with bad technique. I learned that I'm very slow at drawing and am very bad at doing shading, which is sad because when I take forever to draw a single thing I feel very dead (which I'm still in the process of doing the colour pencil thing). On the computer, I switched from SAI back to Photoshop because I felt like it, I don't really know. I should really draw more on the computer (like gray scales and such) to practice and get used to the tools since I feel very lost. That and I really want to try colouring without the lineart in the end.

Also, my mom stole my wide straw which I really liked and I thought that was worth mentioning since this is practically a blog post.

The gist of what I think is important from what I just typed is that, I'm going to make this (and probably my pixel art thread) more directed towards Nintendo and people I talk to here. That and that I'm tired of drawing smash bros characters.

I do have a couple of stuff that I do want to get around to drawing, which is mostly clothing and maybe anthro/gijinka/humanoid pokemon. The funny thing about clothing is that I don't really want to draw the character so I might just make up some person to wear clothes. I also sort of want to draw some Overwatch characters since I feel like the amount of fan art coming out has slowed down enough. And although I sort of know some people who like Overwatch here, I also sort of feel like it shouldn't be here (we'll see).

Pokemon Humanoid: show
I'm probably going with pokemon I like so I drew Reuniclus (I have a lot of trouble spelling/remembering that). The general idea was to make the green goey stuff into the rain coat/poncho and make the inside into a human. I made the clothes white to match how the inside was very white itself. I considered making the different coloured balls in the arm a pattern on the rain poncho, but I thought it wouldn't look too clean, so I ended up only keeping the red sphere and making her into a pokemon trainer. I made her into a kid to sort of mirror how it's like in a young state, but I probably could've/should've made her younger (and look happier). I got real lazy at the feet and raincoat (but I don't know how to raincoat).

Anyhow, I will hopefully be drawing more on the computer (or in general) and maybe update this more, but I've said that before. I really type too much when I post.

Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:55 am

I don't think I've posted just sketch things but I'm probably going to start now since I don't think I will finish things in one sitting anymore due to procrastination and who knows when I finish (hopefully tomorrow), so yeah. This was not my original intent for a Samus alternate design, but I just sort of went with it after getting the idea. I might circle back and make what I originally wanted, but I messed up how I wanted it to look the first time around so I gotta figure out how to do what I want first; it looked pretty ugly. Samus gets a free pass to my Smash Bros. not drawing character rule since I don't feel bad, I never really drew her, and I was doing an idea from a month or two ago before I got off track.

Anyways, here's a doodle (sorry if it seems messy) of how I might end up lining retro futurism Samus. If anyone has any ideas or early criticism they want to throw around about the idea/costume/doodle, that'd be nice. Hopefully I will line/finish this soon if at all.

doodle: show

side note: I don't think I will be posting in my pixel art thread any time soon

Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:20 am

I managed to disappoint myself from the sketch to the lining but w/e, is life. The box on the bust area made no sense so that got removed (was from another design anyways), and the skirt out of nowhere made no sense so I considered adding a cut top, but went w/ a dress. Maybe the dress went too loose; I liked how the body shape was clearer(?) in the sketch, or maybe that's just tight clothing. The expression looked nicer in the sketch, but I didn't want that expression. The hair also looked better in the sketch. Basically the drawing was disappointing, maybe I'll redo it, probably won't.

: show
updated sketch

Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:19 am
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Undertale
I understand never being happy with your own work, that's how you improve. I have to say though that I'm really digging this drawing. It has a sort of retro vibe to it. I really like the proportions, and I actually think that the hair in the final is better than the sketch. The shadows and highlights are placed really nicely. I feel like the leg that's in front should be behind not crossing in front, but that's minor. I could tell it was samus even before i noticed the helmet, which is great. Don't be so hard on yourself. It looks great. It's healthy to want to always strive for improvement, but don't forget to pat your own back sometimes.

Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:43 am
Site Moderator

Waifu: ElvisDitto
I 100% agree with Geno; although it's very natural for artists to occassionally dissappointement with drawings make sure to use said dissappointement as fuel/optimism to improve your next drawings. You have great control over shape and form and a great eye for aesthetic, you're amazing!

(you can now tweet mean things at me on Twitter @StevenEggplant)

Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:28 am

Thanks for the encouraging words, both of you and I'm glad you got the retro vibe off the picture, Geno. I just feel a tad bit bitter of how it turned out, but it's probably not as negative as you guys might feel from what I type and post. I see what you meant w/ the leg and I think that was my original intention, but I probably messed it up during the lining. For the hair, it's the hair line that's being to high and also the right hair flap area where it just seems a tad bit off where it's not stuck enough to the face while also not being away enough for it to be ok as it was in the sketch, but I flattened the image so I can't fix it anymore w/out messing up something.

Anyways, here's a fixed update on legs, minor hair, neck, and minor colour + some effects
fixed update: show

Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:42 am
Site Moderator

Waifu: ElvisDitto
I would make the area around the ankles a bit wider as well (maybe play with thinning the neck and widening the upper arms too if you want) also holy s*** what is that filter/effect I love it

(you can now tweet mean things at me on Twitter @StevenEggplant)

Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:57 am

The effect is not actually a real effect, it's more of shifting one (or multiple) of the rgb channels. I see the effect of likes a lot in digital art and I'm not exactly sure how they do it, but that's the closest or what I think they might be doing. I usually shift the red a bit since it's the one that I need to usually shift the least to see a difference.

I just angled and thinned the neck a tad bit and widened the ankle closest to the camera; don't really want to bother w/ messing with the arm proportions

I feel bad if I bump the thread updating the same picture, so did two Samus doodles. I should doodle more so I can get shapes and line better on tablet, mostly circles though.

Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:03 am

late but MRW there's still no new waifus added in ssf2

yay for Bandana Dee though (but srsly, 7ish new chars and no female additions ;;)

Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:59 am

More Pokemon

ignore the smudge over Hilda's face, I tried erasing and it's either ink-eraser smudge or some eraser malfunction

pencil paper is just too comfortable atm

Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:33 am
 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4