The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 5:18 pm

[ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Pilot's Art Tips and Tricks 

Pilot's Art Tips and Tricks
_____
Contents
Hold Ctrl + F to find one of these contents.
Brief Introduction and how to use this guide
Proportion
Being Colorful

Misc
-Tools for drawing
-Setting up for drawing on a paper (Not on the computer)
-Tips
-Extras
_____
Brief Introduction and how to use this guide.
Drawing is not easy so this is why I made this tips and trick guide, to help you people. This tutorial mainly contains sources of other websites and is a bit of a link archive.

Also to navigate around a bit easier, I added Legends/Keys, what every good guide needs.
Legend/Key:
Bold words = Child Topics
Italic and Bold words = Parent Topic
_____
Proportion
Proportion is really important to make a picture looking goood! So it's important to have good stance.
Big Image: show
Image Source: http://www.topanimes.com, Good proportion
I don't like to follow other people's "Have to do art rules" because it's your art, you can do whatever you think that will make your art better, you don't even have to follow this, I just made this so you can be inspired by ideas. Before making an image it's a good idea to sketch what you are going to do, now don't put too much detail in the sketch just in the final image.
Outcome: show
Image That's the outcome.

Added by KAZECoyote
KAZECoyote wrote:
to add to proportions/anatomy
http://gotham-1.deviantart.com/gallery/#_featured
Look through this gallery,.If you don't learn anything, drawing isn't for you. Also, don't use Anime proportions as a base. It tends to be off, start with realism and edit to your liking when your comfortable with it. Realism is the foundation that every style is built off of.

_____
Being Colorful
Well before I link you to another place let me tell you what a good picture needs, it needs color but even with color your picture might look boring. That is probably because it doesn't have Shading or light. Okay here are two links to a site which will help you, one is Here or a one which is a interactive flash one that I recommend for beginners is here here

Also, Smudge, it's really cool, when use it at on the right spot in a picture it makes the picture look deep, it's also good for shading and make things look more realistic!

_____
Misc
_____
Tools for drawing
Here are some tools for drawing, some are quite obvious and some will be a discovery!
Wacom Tablets (Not Medicine Tablets):They can be brought on http://www.wacom.com or on http://ebay.com
Wacom Info: show
A Wacom tablet is one type of a tablet there are many others, anyway the wacom tablet is like a mouse(The one you use to control the cursor on the computer with) except they are designed for drawing. Or instead of making me explain you can click here here

Pencil/ Grey led (A Trusty artist's side kick for drawing!)
Rubber/Eraser (A Trusty's artist's side kick for erasing!)
Sharpener (A good sharpener will be one of those they have a container so you don't have to sharpen at the bin)
_____
Setting up for drawing on a paper (Not on the computer)
Okay, here goes! It will be good to draw in a well lit place and have 3 sharpened pencils at your side, also some color pencils if you're planning on coloring. Okay this kinda looks bad so far, because (most) people like lists because lists are smexy and they don't really like a chunky whole lot of text, so I'll put this into a list and in the list I might repeat some stuffs already said.
To have at your side and to do:
*3 Sharpened pencils (So you don't have to sharpen much)
*An Eraser (Good for rubbing out mistakes)
*A Sharpener
Info: show
(A good sharpener are those which have a container built in them, so you don't have constantly go over to the bin. Or if you can't get those type of sharpeners, bring a small bin next to you or maybe a container.)

*Optional* Color pencils (If you are planing on coloring)
*A Well lit area
Info2: show
(So you can see what you are drawing, it's bad to draw in an area which is poorly lit, it's not good for you eyes...)

Okay, so we have our to do's and now our not to do's.

Avoid...

*Resting your arm on drawn parts (The led might get on your arm and you might blur the picture)
*Using a pen (Use a pencil first so you can rub out any mistakes)
Okay that's about it, next you can color in, draw, or something...But draw is what you're doing...right?
_____
Tips
Use a pencil first, use a pen later. A Pencil is better because you can rub it out, you can white-out the pen too but it won't look that good.

If you are using a pencil press lightly, and draw a sketch on that paper, after you are done rub out unwanted bits to save trees!

It's a good idea to think of what type of image you are going to draw is it going to be have a destruction theme? A Peaceful, relaxing? A Sorrow image? Think of your theme before drawing.
____
I will add more later this is all I got. Thank you for viewing this thread! :mrgreen: BTW By proportion I mean like the way somebody is moving, I'm not sure if it's the right thing to call it but I call it proportion
P.S
Post what I can improve about this or just post comments!
_____
Extra
Added by Blue

Sparksters Anatomy Lesson: show
Here's a great addition to the tutorials, courtesy of a friend of mine from a site I can't mention.

"Don't consider drawing the figure as a whole entity, but start with swift, impulsive strokes after the initial gesture line (fig A) to just give the idea of the pose. At this point, nothing is concrete about the drawing. You'll notice I drew in Z's for the feet, but I think of them as two flat squares (thus the instep is established already) and this lets me taper the character to any perspective plain I have going. It's also worth noting that the oval I use to position the head is forward of the neck, and is only a guide, not the actual head shape.

At the second step (fig B), you're establishing proportion at the major joints and giving the character some three dimensionality. This, at least in my mind, is the chief sin I see artists doing over and over again. Skipping over this step will always have a negative impact on the end result, short of close ups, where there isn't enough to see for it to really matter.

When you get to the third part, the main thing to do is give life to the form. S-bending is always awesome and while your first few experiments will probably be messy, the results, once you fall into your groove, make it completely worthwhile."

"What you need to do is sit down and practice stick figures or mannequins like the ones in figures a) and b). Drawing these very quickly is actually a good way to improve (doing them slowly will actually make them look worse) and it's certainly a great way to fiddle with a new trick you might have picked up (for example, the line of weight through the neck, or drawing figures onto short perspective plains).

And before you tell me no, keep in mind that the best artists always practice this, no matter how ridiculously good they may get.

Once you do move onto the detail phase (figure c) try to avoid any unnecessary lines. I get a lot of people telling me I'm good with the folds in clothing but if you actually look, I draw very few of them and instead tend to do a puff at any point where the weight would sit. Otherwise, it just sits on or hangs from the character. Speaking of clothing, try to remember that it wraps around the character, as opposed to being decal, one of the best ways to give the sense of space is to keep any pattern on fabric in at least a partially rounded curve."

"These are strange things to get used to when you first start using them, but after a while they're just second nature. To be entirely honest, I actually had to stop and think about quite a few as I don't even think about them any more."

~Tutorial by Sparkster~

Last edited by Pilot on Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:19 am, edited 23 times in total.

Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:52 am
Site Moderator

Well, first of all, try to improve the proportion and pose for your example pic. It looks terrible and has an impossible stance. No one will believe you or take you seriously if you can't pull it off, yourself.

Jin wrote:
I support the bombing of Israel.

Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:14 am

Blue Mage wrote:
Well, first of all, try to improve the proportion and pose for your example pic. It looks terrible and has an impossible stance. No one will believe you or take you seriously if you can't pull it off, yourself.

Sorry ^^" They are just ideas to inspire people, I might suck but I don't care.
Besides I don't fine anything impossible there, can you circle the impossible parts for me? Thanks!

Last edited by Pilot on Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:47 am
Site Moderator

He's leaning much to far to his left and his arms are warped to the point where it looks utterly painful. Now, if you straighten out his left leg, you'd find that it's much longer than his right one. Try to fix these issues.

Jin wrote:

Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:50 am

*Updated! Please visit, I put some time in this tutorial.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:10 pm
Site Moderator

That's much, much better. I'm sure people will find this very helpful, now.

Jin wrote:

Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:12 pm

If you find this helpful, please post a comment

Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:56 pm
Site Admin

How 'bout I just sticky it for you?

Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:31 pm
Site Moderator

Sure, why not? It's one of the few attempts we have at actually trying to teach people stuff. Be sure to update it if you have any other good ideas, Enternal.

Jin wrote:

Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:46 pm

Thanks both you! :D
-EDIT-
Added Setting up for drawing on a paper (Not on the computer)
-EDIT2-
Added Contents
Updated Tips

Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:40 am

to add to proportions/anatomy
http://gotham-1.deviantart.com/gallery/#_featured
Look through this gallery,.If you don't learn anything, drawing isn't for you. Also, don't use Anime proportions as a base. It tends to be off, start with realism and edit to your liking when your comfortable with it. Realism is the foundation that every style is built off of.

Sun May 09, 2010 6:30 pm
YIM WWW
Site Moderator

Here's a great addition to the tutorials, courtesy of a friend of mine from a site I can't mention.

"Don't consider drawing the figure as a whole entity, but start with swift, impulsive strokes after the initial gesture line (fig A) to just give the idea of the pose. At this point, nothing is concrete about the drawing. You'll notice I drew in Z's for the feet, but I think of them as two flat squares (thus the instep is established already) and this lets me taper the character to any perspective plain I have going. It's also worth noting that the oval I use to position the head is forward of the neck, and is only a guide, not the actual head shape.

At the second step (fig B), you're establishing proportion at the major joints and giving the character some three dimensionality. This, at least in my mind, is the chief sin I see artists doing over and over again. Skipping over this step will always have a negative impact on the end result, short of close ups, where there isn't enough to see for it to really matter.

When you get to the third part, the main thing to do is give life to the form. S-bending is always awesome and while your first few experiments will probably be messy, the results, once you fall into your groove, make it completely worthwhile."

"What you need to do is sit down and practice stick figures or mannequins like the ones in figures a) and b). Drawing these very quickly is actually a good way to improve (doing them slowly will actually make them look worse) and it's certainly a great way to fiddle with a new trick you might have picked up (for example, the line of weight through the neck, or drawing figures onto short perspective plains).

And before you tell me no, keep in mind that the best artists always practice this, no matter how ridiculously good they may get.

Once you do move onto the detail phase (figure c) try to avoid any unnecessary lines. I get a lot of people telling me I'm good with the folds in clothing but if you actually look, I draw very few of them and instead tend to do a puff at any point where the weight would sit. Otherwise, it just sits on or hangs from the character. Speaking of clothing, try to remember that it wraps around the character, as opposed to being decal, one of the best ways to give the sense of space is to keep any pattern on fabric in at least a partially rounded curve."

"These are strange things to get used to when you first start using them, but after a while they're just second nature. To be entirely honest, I actually had to stop and think about quite a few as I don't even think about them any more."

~Tutorial by Sparkster~

Jin wrote:

Mon May 10, 2010 4:49 pm

Thanks Blue and KAZE.

BTW Blue, you're images are broken D:

But thanks!

I don't know if I should spend my time on this anymore...No one bothers to read except for you guys, Kiki, Blue and KAZE.

But no one else D:

But thanks, again.

I updated it.

Mon May 17, 2010 3:41 am

MGN Username: Tid
Currently Playing: Deep™ The™ Game™
No-one posts in it, but that doesn't mean it isn't used.
For all you know heaps of people are using this to help them with their art, and just aren't saying anything.

Tue May 18, 2010 9:50 am

Currently Playing: Fallout: New Vegas, Portal 2, Assassin's Creed 3, League of Legends, Gang Garrison 2, Team Fortress 2, Bioshock 2, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
Like me...

Somewhat.

Tue May 18, 2010 4:17 pm
 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next