The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 3:37 pm

[ 14 posts ] 
Mafia Survey 

Currently Playing: FE6-8, Radiant Historia, TWEWY
Hello. It's me again.

Recently there have been complaints of low activity levels in the section, and I, truth be told, am very curious as to why this is. The players are for the most part the same, but I suspect the meta has shifted. That's part of the reason I have this survey.
Another reason is that I want to see how the people of MG think when they play mafia, and what is the "standard" here.
The final reason is that I want to see how many people on MG who play mafia use the same methods that I do when they play mafia.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/18A3Pm9 ... Q/viewform

Thank you guys in advance.

Sig courtesy of Arthur: eternally grateful.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:02 pm
SSF2 Developer

Done.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:35 am
BR Member

MGN Username: Savvy, eh?
Currently Playing: Savvy's Art Academy
D-d-d-d-d-d-done.

You may want to consider revising the last multiple choice question, though. It's rather biased and unclear.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:33 am
BR Member

Currently Playing: Chaconne
I'll do it, will the results be tallied and publicly posted?

Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:19 am

Currently Playing: SFV-FI: Shenanigans
Done.

(This is the only recorded instance of this happening)

Term wrote:
i am a huge advocate of your right to whine like a b****

Kuro Kagami wrote:
i have problems with colors

i mean i have problems in general but colors tend to be a recurring issue

Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:35 am

MGN Username: 194
Currently Playing: most likely Celeste
Waifu: Curly Brace
First, what information do you pretend to obtain from it, apart from basically all our relevant gameplay tactics, giving you a huge advantage against all of us?
Second, how will that information affect the current levels of activity in this section?

Avatar and signature pics by Semicolon.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:52 pm
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Undertale
DJ Wizard Cop wrote:
I'll do it, will the results be tallied and publicly posted?

They better be.

One of the reasons I didn't do this survey is because all it does is pave the way for some SERIOUS wifom, especially if Terra doesn't release the information publicly. I'd rather not publicize my play-style. This doesn't really promote activity either. On top of that, a lot of the questions can go either way depending on the situation in game.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:55 pm

194 wrote:
giving you a huge advantage against all of us?

Terra's sig wrote:
Retired mafia player

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:56 pm
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Undertale
DJ Kyuubit wrote:
194 wrote:
giving you a huge advantage against all of us?

Terra's sig wrote:
Retired mafia player

He's not though, he plans on joining new games in the future. At least that's what he told me on Skype.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:56 pm

MGN Username: Nixter
Currently Playing: Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
"hello tell me how you play exactly please"

I don't get it

Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:22 pm

Currently Playing: FE6-8, Radiant Historia, TWEWY
I will be releasing all information publicly, and though I am retired, I hope to host in the future.

Here is the reasoning behind every question I asked:
What I was looking for when I asked the LaL questions was how extreme the answers were. To be honest, I was looking at how extreme these answers were, and whether many people would answer a "one size fits all thing", because extreme answers, at least in my opinions, are a sign of laziness, and people who look far too much for scum on those things are very passive, and that's part of the reason why I'm worried about this.
What I was looking for when I asked the question on LyLo was how detailed the thought process was. I was expecting a lot of answers with explanations on why they believe what they believe, and I expected quite a few people to answer that the more townie person is disproportionally likely to be scum, but more on that later.
What I was looking for when I asked the question on NLing was passivity. I wanted to see how many people would no lynch when there is no content. I, again, was looking for extreme answers here: in this case, a "one size fits all thing", especially with considering No Lynching a viable option, because, again, this indicates passivity.
What I was looking for when I asked the question on the RVS was mainly explanation again. I swerve more towards the RVS myself, because gauging a person's reaction from an L-1 wagon built up on them is a good way to see who overreacts and who doesn't, and in my opinion, the RVS just doesn't have the same effect, in terms of eliciting overreaction. I thought that this question was the least circumstantial of all of them, since, you know, I think all of us have started off a game at least once before.
To be honest, the question I asked about self-hammering is a little off-beat, and I didn't really see what I wanted to see. I was looking to see how many people would answer the more conventional option, which is to fight your way out. I gave you guys a hint that I was looking for a crazier answer, which is to self-hammer. Of course, this question is the most circumstantial of all of them, which TOWK gladly pointed out, and I was also looking for people who said that this question was circumstantial without taking away from either option.

The question on scumhunting is slightly different. I wanted to see how many people would answer on observation, waiting for people to be scummy, which, in my opinion, is ineffective, because if there are no obvscum then it's not as effective. What I got, however, showed me otherwise.

Here are the results:
How strongly do you believe in "Lynch All Liars"?
Strongly Agree-0%
Agree-13%
Neutral-38%
Disagree-38%
Strongly Disagree-13%
How strongly do you believe in "Lynch All Lurkers"?
Strongly Agree-0%
Agree-13%
Neutral-25%
Disagree-38%
Strongly Disagree-25%
You are in LyLo, and there are two players alive other than yourself: one who has been moderately scummy, and another who has been very pro-town but you find suspicious for not being nightkilled. Do you agree that the moderately scummy person is more likely to be scum?
Strongly Agree-0%
Agree-13%
Neutral-38%
Disagree-38%
Strongly Disagree-13%
If there is no activity at all in the current game state, do you agree that the better option is to no lynch rather than risk a random lynch?
Strongly Agree-0%
Agree-38%
Neutral-13%
Disagree-25%
Strongly Disagree-25%
Do you agree that the RVS is always better than the RQS for the purposes of finding scum reactions?
Strongly Agree-13%
Agree-25%
Neutral-38%
Disagree-25%
Strongly Disagree-0%
If you are mafia, and a lynch is inevitable, do you agree that the better option is always to self-hammer rather than try to fight your way out of the lynch?
Strongly Agree-0%
Agree-13%
Neutral-38%
Disagree-25%
Strongly Disagree-25%
Excerpts from the scumhunting question, since not everyone posted.
Could be anyone? wrote:
Step 1 Make sure everyone is talking Step 2 Don't be terrible and draw logical conclusions based on the circumstances That's it, whole game, not hard. Everything else is circumstantial.

Yeah, not releasing names on this wrote:
Ask a lot of questions, look for "hard" contradictions, ask more questions

One more, for good measure wrote:
In the early stages of the game, my preferred method of scumhunting is to engineer deliberately uncomfortable situations and gauge player reactions. This strategy continues to be helpful throughout the game, but is most helpful at the beginning when there is no other content to analyze. As the days go by, I like to shift my focus to sniffing out inconsistencies in play and observing voting patterns. Once the first mafiosi flips, going through their "reads" and considering their play in a new light can also be quite helpful.

I think that this has overall been quite fruitful in terms of getting the results, and I've realized that the meta hasn't shifted a bit since All-Stars, where everyone played actively. I think it's in more part due to general apathy regarding certain games' inactivity rather than the overall meta, though I have to admit, self-hammering really suffocates the town of vital information.

Sig courtesy of Arthur: eternally grateful.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:32 pm

Currently Playing: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Waifu: Mina Ashido
And.....
done.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:16 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: Chaconne
If that third one isn't Brik then Brik isn't Brik.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:40 am

Currently Playing: Dota 2, CSGO, MGSV
Done

Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:59 am
 [ 14 posts ]