The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 1:02 pm

[ 432 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 29  Next
Tails 

Thanks! :)

It might be awhile as I want to get the basics down first

Credit to Sachamel and Saikyoshi for the pic.

Beginner alert :p Learning how to play Tails

Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:30 pm

Currently Playing: SSF2, LOZ:PH, Pokemon Showdown!.
We are here to help. I might not be a master of Tails, but I can compare with my other knowledge to give some basic tips.

ImageImage

Link!

Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:25 am
YIM

I apologize if this is a old discovery but apparently with Tails' up throw by moving the direction during the attack you can have him move in that direction

Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:17 am

What is the exact amount of degrees that tails shoots his neutral special at in the air?

ImageImage

Link!

Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:52 am
YIM

Shocker14 wrote:
What is the exact amount of degrees that tails shoots his neutral special at in the air?

I would have guessed 45° because the projectile is in fact going at that angle, but actual measurement proves otherwise, giving 55° or so.

Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:53 pm
Site Admin

MGN Username: [TSON]
Currently Playing: with myself
It'd be actually be negative 52°, aka 308°.

Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:27 pm

I am glad you guys know this stuff :p.

Curious but what can knowing the angle do to increase your performance?

Last edited by TailsCopter on Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:45 am

It tells you where to position yourself to hit the opponent. Making it easy for you not to miss, and to hit with a single attack.

Thanks for the details.

ImageImage

Link!

Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:08 am
YIM

So I think we need to start using Tails like a "normal character" rather than the run away and fight character. I think once you play him like that he will be better. Again last time it was annoying having to scratch your opponent for damage then run away :/ So try playing him like that and see if you discover anything

EDIT: I am saying this because I think he has potential but there is no way you can play him like you used to which might be what everyone is trying

Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:11 am

Currently Playing: probably melee
Dashing and then using his Up B is he covers great distance(not sure how to explain it exactly). This is really helpful for a surprise attack, or to attack the opponent who is on the other side of the stage. I love the way tails is handled in this version, since he was a little OP, especially when you could just Side B the opponent off the stage then Down aerial for an easy KO.

Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:33 pm

FancyChicken wrote:
Dashing and then using his Up B is he covers great distance(not sure how to explain it exactly). This is really helpful for a surprise attack, or to attack the opponent who is on the other side of the stage. I love the way tails is handled in this version, since he was a little OP, especially when you could just Side B the opponent off the stage then Down aerial for an easy KO.

See yeah that is what I was saying where I didn't like how in last demo that was the only way you pretty much could even use Tails by getting the opponent off stage and then down aerial... it was repetitive.

But in a sense though he does need some of his buffs back but they should keep his current style of fighting but give back some buffs so the gap closes so he doesn't loses his viability.

EDIT: Discussion Topic

If Tails is kept the way he is now where you can fight with him close in personal, which aspects would you rebuff him with to not make him broken to balance him from 0.9a? All of them? Some of them?

I am not a professional so I wait for someone else to speak.

As I mentioned numerous times I want a Tails that is fun to play, not broken, easier to play than 0.9a, able to actually fight up close, but still have the other things that make him viable

Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:36 pm

Location: ...Beneath the high tide centrifuse covered and hidden under the bermuda complex
Currently Playing: with my ****
...not every character is meant to be a rushdown character.
..tails had a lot of moves last demo that was a bit rushdown oriented but he was terrible at that playstyle for a lot of reasons.

Tails had no good kill moves last demo..none at all, but dair was a strong meteor. he also has the ability to jump 5 times, so there's little rooms for error when attempting... This made tails one of the best characters at punishing, since on a classic stage layout, he could take a stock away per mistake.

Misconceptions: Tails cannot confirm any attack on any character (as a combo) after hitting multiple times with sideB - the CPU might occasionally get hit by sideB(2hits or more) > Dair... but that was never a true combo, It was always pretty punishable.
-Tails wasn't only considered high tier because of Dair - Tails had one of the best combo games last demo(It's still good now considering every one was toned down)...If he had Kill moves he would have be able to ToD as well as Lloyd last demo per hit confirm.

Now it's glaringly obvious tails is no longer as technical as he was last demo, and his punishment game is not good at all... considering he was allways the best for some time now in SSF2. He's a completely new character which is kinda weird cuz he should be played more similar to a traditional smash character now. smash 9a tails required a lot of skill to use now he doesn't by a loooong shot. So If you played tails in 9a, transitioning over to 9b tails is not hard, although you have to play different.

...I initially though tails was gonna be terrible because I figured he would get wrecked if hit like in the last demo - I was wrong...now you have a lot of room for error in comparison to the last demo. The amount of options you had out of downB basically covered his issues with approaching last demo - now he can approach regularly or with sideB.

But because he is easy to handle now doesn't make him better than he was before, he still get's wrecked by ranged fighters, projectlies, and speedy aerials all the same... It's like he traded his options of being unpredictable and deadly to be more stable and efficient. How that'll work out in the future tier wise .....IDK.

GM

Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:42 am

MGN Username: Nstinct
Currently Playing: Smash Bros. 4 3DS, Super Smash Flash 2
I didn't play Tails much last demo but I decided to give him a try a few days ago. I learned the WaveDash tech for Tails and got more familiar with his attacks. I really enjoy playing him because his movement feels really smooth and his air game is pretty good.

When I play against people locally I use really fast spindashes(down-b) and tailwhips(side-b) to rush them down or trick them out. His dair, fair, and down-b combined with his 4 jumps, bair momentum, and/or up-b make for really good offstage gimps. Nair works really good on shutting down some character's Ledge attacks(hanging on a ledge and getting onstage with an attack.) Most of my KOs come from gimping with tails but I can get a Dash canceled Down-Smash if I catch my opponent whiffing.

I'd say Tails can still be unpredictable with the addition of being really solid. I can't give a strong opinion yet but I see a lot of potential for a great character and flaws that could lock him down to mid-tier. I'd have to play him against more human players playing different characters.

Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:21 am
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
Nstinct wrote:
I didn't play Tails much last demo but I decided to give him a try a few days ago. I learned the WaveDash tech for Tails and got more familiar with his attacks. I really enjoy playing him because his movement feels really smooth and his air game is pretty good.

When I play against people locally I use really fast spindashes(down-b) and tailwhips(side-b) to rush them down or trick them out. His dair, fair, and down-b combined with his 4 jumps, bair momentum, and/or up-b make for really good offstage gimps. Nair works really good on shutting down some character's Ledge attacks(hanging on a ledge and getting onstage with an attack.) Most of my KOs come from gimping with tails but I can get a Dash canceled Down-Smash if I catch my opponent whiffing.

I'd say Tails can still be unpredictable with the addition of being really solid. I can't give a strong opinion yet but I see a lot of potential for a great character and flaws that could lock him down to mid-tier. I'd have to play him against more human players playing different characters.

He is similar to Fox in that he requires a lot of technical practice to succeed with; he has a high learning curve.

Youtube: NinjaLobsterStudios
Stream: twitch.tv/ninjalobster

Click to expand thumbnail

Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:38 am

GreaterMaelstrom wrote:
...not every character is meant to be a rushdown character.
..tails had a lot of moves last demo that was a bit rushdown oriented but he was terrible at that playstyle for a lot of reasons.

Tails had no good kill moves last demo..none at all, but dair was a strong meteor. he also has the ability to jump 5 times, so there's little rooms for error when attempting... This made tails one of the best characters at punishing, since on a classic stage layout, he could take a stock away per mistake.

Misconceptions: Tails cannot confirm any attack on any character (as a combo) after hitting multiple times with sideB - the CPU might occasionally get hit by sideB(2hits or more) > Dair... but that was never a true combo, It was always pretty punishable.
-Tails wasn't only considered high tier because of Dair - Tails had one of the best combo games last demo(It's still good now considering every one was toned down)...If he had Kill moves he would have be able to ToD as well as Lloyd last demo per hit confirm.

Now it's glaringly obvious tails is no longer as technical as he was last demo, and his punishment game is not good at all... considering he was allways the best for some time now in SSF2. He's a completely new character which is kinda weird cuz he should be played more similar to a traditional smash character now. smash 9a tails required a lot of skill to use now he doesn't by a loooong shot. So If you played tails in 9a, transitioning over to 9b tails is not hard, although you have to play different.

...I initially though tails was gonna be terrible because I figured he would get wrecked if hit like in the last demo - I was wrong...now you have a lot of room for error in comparison to the last demo. The amount of options you had out of downB basically covered his issues with approaching last demo - now he can approach regularly or with sideB.

But because he is easy to handle now doesn't make him better than he was before, he still get's wrecked by ranged fighters, projectlies, and speedy aerials all the same... It's like he traded his options of being unpredictable and deadly to be more stable and efficient. How that'll work out in the future tier wise .....IDK.

Interesting analysis! Yeah he isn't necessarily better but he is different. So you think it is a trade off of get some win some but what he lost was really bad. So about even or a little worse now?

So do you think he is better than when you first played 0.9b? Also what specifically do you think should be changed assuming that the easier to play style is kept (right now)

Edit: also is it possible to keep a easier play style and add back some technical things without breaking the character? That would be the ideal situation for me to keep him as now but give back some. As much as having the technical aspects in 0.9a was cool, I also like leeway to fight upclose without having to be all dodgy.

Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:02 am
 [ 432 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 29  Next