The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 1:09 pm

[ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next
Black Mage 

Currently Playing: Mario and Luigi: Dream Team; SSF2; Mega Man II, Project M
You got most of it down Cyan, but I want to share my opinions on BM's moveset as well.
Cyanradio wrote:
It's also an ok ledge guarder, again better in the last demo with the dash Sspec where the momentum would just send them flying if they were in the air, but to be honest that was pretty cheap
This move does 16% and can force opponents offstage. The move is really annoying to deal with if you are on the receiving end due to it's range and it is easily spammable if used correctly. Unfortunately, dair has been nerfed so haste's overall effectiveness is shaky.

I agree with U/Ftilt but I don't really bother with A or Dtilt, I just never found a use for them
Lol Black Mage's jab. I would just grab if you are at the range to be forced to use this move. I haven't tried it in 9b, but I doubt it has been significantly improved from the last demo.

I don't often use it but, it can be used to hit someone whose on the ledge, then once they're in the air, follow up with a Usmash or Utilt
Dsmash is a lot better than it was in 9a, that's for sure. I have to test it further to see what can come out of it.

Fsmash- Pretty bad. The charge seems predictable and takes forever and the regular has tremendous windup for really eh payoff. I

Fsmash is probably his best way of finishing someone now since his dash has been nurfed. It's awkward arc hitbox makes it perfect to hit someone on the ledge without really risking getting hurt and if they do a ledge attack the smash remains for a while and hits them before they hit you. It is also a double edge sword though because it last a long time, and if you miss, well you're definitely getting hurt.
Dash attack was highly situational in 9a. I'm not sure why you would think that was his only KO option. Utilt, fair and usmash KO'd pretty nicely as well. As for fsmash, it is worth the start-up lag it has. The lingering disjointed hitbox makes the move kinda safe, and the reward is well worth it.

Usmash- The absolute worst supercharge as far as I can tell(i've never figured out a way to land this besides high stop levels), but the normal smash is actually very very good, and seems like his go to kill move.

I agree with all this. It has to be a very niche situation to use a full Usmash, like someone is trying to recover and you do the Usmash to pull them in. You can dash and do a sliding Usmash, as well as Utilt, for a bit of maneuverability
I'm not going to talk about how situational charging moves in this game is until the end of my post, but yes firaga (fully charged usmash) is bad. Usmash can KO (unless it changed from 9a) pretty well and it easy to land. Nair to usmash is a solid BnB.

SH into a Nair is great, pulls them in, surrounds the character, and after it's done can be grabbed right after

I don't agree with this. Black Mage does NOT want to be stuck in the air. While the move has a pulling effect, it can easily be baited and punished if the opponent stays out of its range. Simply put, you miss the move, you are a sitting duck. Black Mage has poor falling speed and poor aerial mobility. An opponent can bait a nair and punish you in a plethora of ways. A Black Mage does not want to be put into a situation where he can be juggled or where he has to recover. Try using fair in neutral game over nair. I would say only use nair when an opponent is in hitstun or possibly out of shield. Nair out of shield seems good.

Feels fine to me, pseudo-wavedash still works so i'm fine. also to pseudo-wavedash you SH and then Fair just before you hit the ground
Fair is very strange in this demo. It appears to have worse range than in 9a, but I think it is due to the knockback changes in this demo. It isn't as viable, at first glance when edgeguarding anymore, and it seems that double fair is harder. I think I need to use it more.

Yeah it lost a lot of it's kill power but to me it feels easier to get death with the longer reach
Death is very hard to land now imo. You can't get death on a short hop and you can't connect dair at all on a full hop unless you fast fall slightly. I need to test this out on FD or 3DS, but death seems hard to land on a stage with platforms (sans ToS).

It's like you said, really really bad, at least in this demo. the only reason to use it last demo was because if it hit the knockback was amazing, but now it has so little knockback that, with combined with all that ending lag, it's just not worth it when they only went like 3 feet and then immediately punish you
Also note that the lingering hitbox during it's ending animation has been removed from it.

Throws- Forward was mostly to setup the second dair hit, down seems good, back feels pretty garbage, up might have combo potential, but i've yet to be able to do much.

Fthrow is fine, Dthrow is great and can be chaingrabbed, I don't really use Uthrow or Bthrow

Combos- i'm having input issues(can't shorthop easily with my current setup for some reason), so I've yet to really find anything outside of stop and shorthop fairs. I'm guessing theres more?

Well, as with the Stop one i mentioned, I also use this combo: Dthrow-> SH Nair-> Utilt-> Usmash-> Fair/Bair/Uair-> Dspec, which if done right it should deal 71%-85%
I'm going to test these when I have access to a proper computer, but I have high doubts about connecting an aerial to Meteor at that high of a percent. I'm also having doubts about utilt to usmash.

You probably already knew the charge Stop and Pseudo-Wavedash anyways but hopefully this helps

Also if anyone else wants to offer some BM tips, tricks, and combos i'd gladly appreciate it too, always looking to improve

Gonna come back to this thread when I get some more practice with BM.

EDIT: I changed my mind about a few things. Sh nair is ok, but be careful in using it on an opponent's shield. Aerial haste's ending animation has been fixed and he goes into helplessness earlier. Double fair is a lot harder due to increased knockback on fair, unless you hit someone with the center of the hitbox. The sourspot can connect into another fair, the sweetspot cannot. Stop has a faster charge time, so lvl 4 stop is actually ok. Kinda like Giant Punch. Death is weaker imo. I think it's because cpus meteor cancel automatically now. Dthrow cannot connect into sh nair at higher percents. It can hitconfirm at 0 on maybe DK, but I think most characters are able to shield nair before it comes out. Even if nair connects, opponents can SDI away from Black Mage to escape follow ups from nair. I don't think meteor can come out of an aerial either, especially at that percent. Opponents should be DI'ing to avoid your onslaught, and should either be able to tech or shield the meteor before it hits them.

SSF2 Online Hitlist: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lU38_PwQ3UcEGLNfA8wdNNj6CSWZNl75Y09n1wL4pGg

Check out my twitter: https://twitter.com/CodeBlueSmash

Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:01 pm

CodeBlue wrote:

Dash attack was highly situational in 9a. I'm not sure why you would think that was his only KO option. Utilt, fair and usmash KO'd pretty nicely as well.

Bad wording on my part, I made it seem like dash was his only finisher. Dash was great if someone was down or recovering, other than that I never used it.Usmash and Ftilt are great finishers too, especially when you slide into it with a Pseudo-Wavedash combined with the sliding physics that they have.

CodeBlue wrote:
I don't agree with this. Black Mage does NOT want to be stuck in the air. While the move has a pulling effect, it can easily be baited and punished if the opponent stays out of its range. Simply put, you miss the move, you are a sitting duck. Black Mage has poor falling speed and poor aerial mobility. An opponent can bait a nair and punish you in a plethora of ways. A Black Mage does not want to be put into a situation where he can be juggled or where he has to recover. Try using fair in neutral game over nair. I would say only use nair when an opponent is in hitstun or possibly out of shield. Nair out of shield seems good.

Usually if both of us are in the air a meteor would get him off me, and if they aerial dodge Fair/Uair, if I Uair I get sent underneath them and pop a UAir then a meteor.
If i'm recovering above, which BM usually is since he's so light and gets knock up easily, I use a meteor to bait a PS and use stop to reflect it. Then I can get up no problem. Or just a well timed stop by itself.

However, I agree with the poor falling speed and poor aerial mobility

CodeBlue wrote:
Death is very hard to land now imo. You can't get death on a short hop and you can't connect dair at all on a full hop unless you fast fall slightly. I need to test this out on FD or 3DS, but death seems hard to land on a stage with platforms (sans ToS).

Maybe it's because I main him and play him so much that death seems easy, how long have you played him?

CodeBlue wrote:
Dthrow cannot connect into sh nair at higher percents. It can hitconfirm at 0 on maybe DK,

I've only ever use that specific combo as an opener, I should have mention that, of course as the damage racks up I make changes to the combo, like not using Nair, or adding a Sspec/Fsmash. It's also possible to do it on Ness,CF, and ZSS, and fox

CodeBlue wrote:
but I think most characters are able to shield nair before it comes out. Even if nair connects, opponents can SDI away from Black Mage to escape follow ups from nair.

You could skip the Nair all together and get around 63%

CodeBlue wrote:
I don't think meteor can come out of an aerial either, especially at that percent.

Not quite sure what you mean, if you mean can I meteor right after an aerial then, yeah. I also charge it, if you're wondering

All and all, you made great points, if there is a way to upload replay files to the forums I'd show you the combos (I don't have a recording software), but I don't think there is. (could be wrong though)

Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:22 pm

Currently Playing: Mario and Luigi: Dream Team; SSF2; Mega Man II, Project M
Cyanradio wrote:
CodeBlue wrote:

Maybe it's because I main him and play him so much that death seems easy, how long have you played him?

I forgot to note this in my edit section. It is fairly easy to land in general. I had the platforms of Battlefield in the way; making it difficult to land dair out of a short hop.

Cyanradio wrote:
CodeBlue wrote:
I don't think meteor can come out of an aerial either, especially at that percent.

Not quite sure what you mean, if you mean can I meteor right after an aerial then, yeah. I also charge it, if you're wondering

I meant as a legitimate combo. Opponents can DI out of the aerial to avoid the meteor. If the meteor is based on a read, then that is a different story.
Cyanradio wrote:
All and all, you made great points, if there is a way to upload replay files to the forums I'd show you the combos (I don't have a recording software), but I don't think there is. (could be wrong though)

You can upload the file to something like mediafire, or just use bandicam or hypercam to record the footage.

I'm really doubting the validity of your combo. DI comes into play with these types of combos, and even some of them have enough leeway to shield the other hits. I think, while this may work on AI, it won't work on human players. We will have to see.

SSF2 Online Hitlist: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lU38_PwQ3UcEGLNfA8wdNNj6CSWZNl75Y09n1wL4pGg

Check out my twitter: https://twitter.com/CodeBlueSmash

Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:01 pm

Edit: I will say the combos are a lot harder to pull of in this demo, with meteor only having a hitbox going down and not up. I think I relied to heavily on that small game mechanic
Meteor going up has hitbox again

But it's like you said, I just have to wait until the online accounts are active, and then I can try it out on human players and not AI.

Last edited by Cyanradio on Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:49 pm

MGN Username: Huey
Currently Playing: Smash 4. Waiting for Beta. They better code in Bidou...
Am I the only one who thinks Black Mage is waaaaay better now? First off, what they did to Haste is great. That purple line was so long it was uncalled for. I would hit Haste from so far and my friend would just rage quit. And no one liked watching him do that long a** animation. Not even the user. His F-air seems exactly the same or better even, his hulk hand is amazing now or at the VERY least the same, his n-air seems like it does more damage and stuns harder, he's a lot faster on the ground and with his combos, his spike was nerfed a bit but it was justified. Plus you can see when the repear will come now so that's cool. Not sure why they took the knock back from the meteor when it comes up from the ground or in his hands in the air though. That didn't seem like a huge problem and it really helped keep pressure off sometimes. All in all, I disagreed with basically everything most of you guys said. lol Opinions are weird.

And to the guy who said Stop is useless unless against projectiles: You're high. Stop is such a gimper. Keeps the pressure on when you use it like an aggressive tool. Jump at your opponent like... Like a puma. You gotta pounce, you know? Like kind of a horizontalish jump. And it doesn't even have to be charged when you do it. That half second stun is more than enough time to lead into a grab, bird foot, fire spin, etc. Which can lead to more stuff in capable hands.

EDIT: I used to lose a stock or two against an AI here and there but now I 4 stock the s*** out them all 90% of the time. Pretty sure it's the improvements they made and NOT my skills improving drastically overnight. Can't wait to use him online!

Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:45 pm

Black Mage's Neutral air is a very good combo starter, following up into Up Tilt and whatever else, I have yet to experiment with further combo's into this.

Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:50 am

Currently Playing: SSF2, LOZ:PH, Pokemon Showdown!.
I like Black Mage. I am going to get more practice in later, as soon as I can, yet I agree with the improvements, I think anyway.

ImageImage

Link!

Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:07 pm
YIM

Can someone please tell me how to beat black mage?
He has super high priority on his dash attack, plus super-armor when using it, has his side-b which can't be dodged or countered easily with its super long animation, he has the persistent poison damage on down-thrown, what looks and feels like a disjointed hitbox on every one of his moves, making it hard to hit him when he's attacking, amazing zoning and control with his charged smash attacks, the insane combos with Dairs into grabs into smashes into whatever you want because you can make anyone your bit­ch, one of the best recoveries in the game, and being able to reflect projectiles which makes range cheese not even an option against him.

Playing local multiplayer with people, and I've never lost as black mage, besides playing against other black mages.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:03 am

MGN Username: DescendedSun
Currently Playing: SSF2
skyy0731 wrote:
He has super high priority on his dash attack, plus super-armor when using it That may be so but it is very punishable. Simply Shield Grab and your done., has his side-b which can't be dodged or countered easily with its super long animation If you shield this attack it wont actually hit you. And because it has a long animation it's punishable too. Especially if your opponent uses it recklessly., he has the persistent poison damage on down-thrown, what looks and feels like a disjointed hitbox on every one of his moves, making it hard to hit him when he's attacking, amazing zoning and control with his charged smash attacks Practice Spacing, press Black Mage into doing something he doesn't want too and then follow up on the mistake. Don't play too aggressive against Black Mage, he will punish you., the insane combos with Dairs into grabs into smashes into whatever you want because you can make anyone your bit­ch, one of the best recoveries in the game His recovery is actually predictable. If he's going for the ledge, grab it. If he's going for the stage, Tech Chase., and being able to reflect projectiles which makes range cheese not even an option against him. He can reflect Projectiles with Stop (Correct me if i'm wrong) but Stop is just as punishable as his other attacks.

Playing local multiplayer with people, and I've never lost as black mage, besides playing against other black mages.

Youtube

Latest video!
CPU Battles!
YouTube Video:

Support my songs! Soundcloud

MG: Descended_sun - YT:Powerofzarak/DescendedSun - MGN: Descendedsun

Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:22 am

Good to see BM being used properly, I cannot use him well myself.

ImageImage

Link!

Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:37 am
YIM

skyy0731 wrote:
He has super high priority on his dash attack, plus super-armor when using it, has his side-b which can't be dodged or countered easily with its super long animation, he has the persistent poison damage on down-thrown, what looks and feels like a disjointed hitbox on every one of his moves, making it hard to hit him when he's attacking, amazing zoning and control with his charged smash attacks, the insane combos with Dairs into grabs into smashes into whatever you want because you can make anyone your bit­ch, one of the best recoveries in the game, and being able to reflect projectiles which makes range cheese not even an option against him.

Dash attack can be blocked or he can be grabbed out of it, Haste (side b) can be blocked, his recovery has a boldly outlined circle showing you exactly where he's going to land. The other stuff you mentioned makes it seem like the people you're playing against are just letting you do stuff. lol Fully charged smash attacks are rarely succeeded and I definitely have no trouble getting hit. I think it's just the people you play against. How do you do against level 9 AIs so we can have a comparison?

I used to think BM was god too until my friend and I started improving.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:28 pm

Now that I've actually monitored my gameplay here are my final thoughts on the new Black Mage

Improvements:

-Forward tilt (I call it staff slap) has less knockback and is faster for more repeat hits, especially on heavy characters. I've hit it 6 times in a row more than once. lol

-Meteor comes up faster on ground and charges faster in air

-Up tilt (I call it hulk hand) has a faster start up it seems

-Neutral air (I call it fire spin) does more damage and hitstuns more

-Haste animation is faster and the move is overall more balanced

-He's much faster on the ground with a less tractiony feel

-More aggressive and combo oriented now (imo), rather than mostly small (2-3 hit) combos or strings followed by a lot of defensive play

-Stop immediately reflects projectiles now!

Dislikes:

-I think he turns around a bit more slowly now during his dash

-Meteor spike is less powerful, but it's justified. It was pretty strong before.

-Meteor (Down Special) is overall less powerful and effective. Not exactly my go to move for KOs but it still saves my a** coming back to the edge so can't complain too much

That's pretty much it for the dislikes. lol Anything else they changed doesn't seem to affect my playstyle so I haven't noticed. I already loved the character and they made him faster, a bit stronger, just overall better. 2 thumbs up!

EDIT: I'll post some combos and what not later for those who like that stuff

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:29 pm

What parameters does the MISS have for BM's shield?

ImageImage

Link!

Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:54 pm
YIM

Currently Playing: ...SuperSmashFlash2?
Shocker14 wrote:
What parameters does the MISS have for BM's shield?
Nothing, it's just a visual.

Also, just a personal request, could you move the Togetic in your sig to be next to Link instead of taking up more vertical space?

Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:48 pm

Ok, but I don't know according to the format. Help please?

ImageImage

Link!

Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:05 pm
YIM
 [ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next