The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 9:07 pm

[ 606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 41  Next
Album a day in February -- with MG! 

MGN Username: Nixter
Currently Playing: Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
omfg girlfriends is the best!!

lovely little record i love it to bits love love love

term i wish you understood radiohead like the rest of us........

also thanks Auraka c: Mem(e)trix sounds cool!

WOW REVIEW TIME!

Cynic - Kindly Bent To Free Us

So I like Cynic from past albums, they've been a nice addition to my library with their mix of death metal, progressive metal, and their very clean rock influences and jazz fusion influences. So I'm used to a more heavy Cynic. KBTFU is NOT a heavy record; at all. At first, I approached this with an open mind, and hoped for the best, at first it felt really held back, and was nothing too special, mainly being watery progressive rock, with maybe a few cool parts here and there for the first two tracks, then the title track came, Kindly Bent To Free Us, way more into the jazz fusion aspect, damn did it get me ready for the rest of the album, the rest of the album kicked a**, you get the nice vocoder the whole way through for the vox, the melodies being superb and while not heavy, is interesting in its own right, could it have been heavier? Yeah, I wouldn't have minded that, but hey, it's a pretty alright record and some nice moments are in the experience, and it's good enough for me to hold onto 8 tracks, 42 minutes, you aren't held onto for too long, either.

I'll rate it a 7/10, a 6 would be too harsh after listening to some of the melodies that really have the stuff that I like to listen to, they just coincide with my aural senses.

Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:31 pm
Site Moderator

Waifu: Trollbean
Nixter wrote:
term i wish you understood radiohead like the rest of us........
same

Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:05 pm
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Sekiro, Persona 4
Waifu: That’s right. PS4.
maybe if term listens to amnesiac he'll get it

anyways, today was very long and i'm tired so this is gonna be pretty short and quick and i'll update my calendar later

Why? - Alopecia

Why? is a musician that I appreciate a lot (mostly just for his involvement in cLOUDDEAD) because of his left-field and abstract lyricism, his distinct and interesting voice and his clever wordplay. His songs can make you laugh, cringe, sigh and smile all within the same span of 45 minutes. His music has never really, like, grabbed me, though. I hate to constantly compare this album to cLOUDDEAD's self titled (an album that i love and have loved for a good while now) but I find it difficult to get into any of the individual members' solo efforts. The music they make seperately may be interesting and stuff but it feels a bit more hallow in comparison.

Standing alone, however, Alopecia is at the very least a super interesting album, with hooks that you could honestly be humming for days, and lyrics that will make you insanely uncomfortable at times. It's definitely different.

Some parts are kind of stale, though, or at least that's the way it seems to me. I've listened to it once before and today I gave it a second shot, but it's still not a record I'd really listen to very often at all. It has a couple of great tracks but at the end of the day I'd really much listen to cLOUDDEAD's first album, or maybe any other side groups that Yoni Wolf (Why?) was in. (Hymie's s****, etc)

5-6 outta 10. It's not bad by any means, but I probably need to give it a hell of a lot more time to really sink in for me to like it and appreciate it more. My favorite tracks were probably Good Friday, These Few Presidents, and Brook and Waxing.

So yeah, it has some really cool parts. The cool parts are worth hearing even if I don't enjoy the album all that much as a whole.

Blue wrote:
lol Cry more, Terminex. f*** f**. lolololololol What a b****.

Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:01 pm

Waifu: I'm married
Opeth - Still life

1. The Moor - This sounds completely different from Morningrise, really close to Opeth's modern sound. I like this song but some of the lyrics are, well, lewd. The acoustic parts are... Meditative.
2. Godhead's Lament - Godly, this song is brilliant. Opeth is so amazing. Everything flows together so perfectly.
3. Benighted - This is a beautiful song. It's almost completely an acoustic piece, and the sense of peace is what makes Opeth so great.
4. Moonlapse Vertigo - The energy and sheer thought-provokingness of this song is also what makes Opeth so awesome.
5. Face Of Melinda - Who the f*** is Melinda? Perhaps I will know after this song. Okay I just listened to it and it's decent.
6. Serenity Painted Death - Yoyoyoyo we be gettin gangsta up in da heazy. Beyond that part, which was bad, this song is actually pretty good. Standard Opeth s***. IT ENDS SUDDENLY
7. White Cluster - AND THEN THIS SONG COMES ON. I had it really loud and then this song blasted in my ears. I'm going to leave it like this and listen to this song. So far it's f*** great. There's a refrain, which is rare in Opeth songs.

9/10 f*** excellent

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:27 am
YIM WWW
Site Moderator

Kittenpuncher wrote:
Yoyoyoyo we be gettin gangsta up in da heazy.

you just reminded me of that one rap song that sampled an opeth riff

Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:34 am
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: FFXIV
Waifu: you get ONE guess
#4: Funeral For A Friend - Casually Dressed & Deep In Conversation
Post Hardcore

anthony fantano here: show
The first band of the month I've had little to no experience with. I heard their song "Best Friends And Hospital Beds" a while back and thought it was okay. Besides that, I've heard nothing else by them so I was looking forward to checking out this album.

I liked this album. It's nothing groundbreaking, but it's very solid from start to finish. Opening with Rookie Of The Year, the album kind of keeps to the same formula: fun guitar melodies, catchy choruses and good-but-not-outstanding playing from the drummer and bassist. It's not until Your Revolution Is A Joke that there's a noticeable change in style. The sole acoustic track, it's a very welcome change of pace near the end of the album, and is a standout not only because it's acoustic, but because it's very good.
Escape Artists Never Die is the best of the post hardcore tracks here, reminds me of The Illusion Of Safety era Thrice.

I feel like I should talk about the vocals a bit here. I think they're fine, but throughout the album I couldn't help but think "these sound almost out of place, like they're a tad higher than you'd hear from a post hardcore album". I've seen the Emo tag thrown around in some discussions of this album, and while I don't think that it fits 100%, it's something to think about.
There's some harsh vocals too. While I don't outright hate them, I do think they sound a bit dry. The previously mentioned Rookie Of The Year makes good use of them. They don't wear out their welcome and enhance the cleans directly after them. Red Is The New Black uses them more than any other track on the album, and suffers because of it despite having catchy guitarwork.

Overall I'd give it a 6/10. It's catchy, but it doesn't really do anything I haven't heard before. Not added to my main library but I'll probably listen to the standouts every now and then.
Recommended Tracks: Rookie Of The Year, Escape Artists Never Die, Your Revolution Is A Joke

Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:27 am
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Probably the new patch of SSF2 Beta.
Album 1, 5th Nov: Dragoide - Black Lines
IDM / Ambient / Industrial / Chip

Thanks to being from the future, it's already the 5th of November. Amazing.

I probably don't need to make the reviews this in-depth, and cover every song separately, and I probably won't do it again! Especially considering the next one up to review is 17 tracks long, and this review took like 3-4 hours. And that doesn't sound fun.

Anyway, here's my first review!

I didn't expect much from this album, I'd listened to it a few times, and the fact that I didn't really remember any of it didn't say anything positive about it. I remember it being not bad, but nothing interesting. For the most part, I still feel the same way.
-
Favourite tracks
DNA - Ospati Bosemoi - Coleskova

Review: show
#1 - 64 ready
Starts out very upbeat, with very chippy instruments, but the bass doesn't really fit the rest of it.
It's interesting and strange, certainly, but it's not particularly enjoyable to listen to, as far as I'm concerned.
Most of it works okay, and it's not a bad song, but it's not something I'd choose to listen to again.

#2 - DNA
The pattern it starts off with, straight away, I like a lot. It reminds me of a whole bunch of things, from other artists to music from old games.
All of the layers work together, and the sound overall is fairly consistent.
When the bass comes in, it fills out the song a lot, and it really improves the atmosphere of the song, and it only goes up from there.
It's definitely one of my favourite tracks from the album and I'd definitely recommend it, if not the album itself, but sadly, it's also the shortest.

#3 - Mea Culpa
Dragoide occasionally does more Industrial sounding stuff, and this is an example of it, although, not a very good one.
His album "Plumbeum" definitely sounded very industrial inspired, but that album is one of my favourites, while this one isn't.
A fairly creepy and distorted voice sample plays near the start, and I guess it kinda works, but not very well.
It changes a lot, around the middle, to a more common Dragoide sound, and I like it a bit, the pattern and synth used is nice, but it's a bit bland, and the percussion doesn't really fit it, I believe.
Sections of it are pretty good, and overall it's not that bad, but it's definitely not a favourite, which is a bit disappointing, being one of the longest on the album.

#4 - The Butterfly
The beat at the start is very loud and punchy, which I didn't really like that much.
It changes up a little bit, throughout, but nothing really special.
It's not a bad song, but I didn't find it very interesting or noteworthy, at all, and I couldn't think of much to write about it.

#5 - Brand New Feeling
I thought this was one of the better songs of the album, but still not really a favourite.
I liked how it started, and it was sort of catchy, and had a nice feel.
The glitch elements and percussion in this song has a lot of high end, and is really clicky, which I kinda like. It sounds alright with the rest of the song, at least.
I feel like it went downhill from around the middle to near the end.
The end itself, I thought was really good, though it only lasted about 30 seconds, and I really wish it had gone longer.
The best parts are the first half and the last 40 seconds, with everything inbetween being fairly bland. I'd recommend those parts, at least.

#6 - Poor Ram
One of my least favourites from the album.
I imagine it was intentional for it to sound slightly off, which it did well.
It improved a little bit by the end, but I didn't really like any part of the song much at all.
Won't be listening to this one again, now that I'm done this review.

#7 - Ospati Bosemoi
I liked how it started, with wind noise and stuff, and the synth that sounds a little bit like strings.
This song reminded me a lot of Dragoide's latest release, "Low", which had a lot more drone-y sounds on it, which I liked a lot, after I listened to it a few times.
As the song goes on, it doesn't really improve that much, until the end, which is a bit sad, but it's never really bad.
It ends off the way it started, which I have no problem with, because the start is fantastic.
The majority of the track is pretty great, which is a good thing, being the second longest track.

#8 - Winter Twilight
Really big bass-y beat, right at the start, which doesn't really sound great, especially just after Ospati Bosemoi.
As the song filled out more, the beat felt a lot less out of place, too.
Throughout the middle of the song, it got quite cheery and, sounded fairly "wintery" which is fitting of the name.
I felt like this song wasn't bad, but it's nothing spectacular.

#9 - No Compute Love
The start is basically just drone, which is a good thing, I think.
It didn't really transition into the main part of the song very well, though.
The bass in the song only plays occasionally, but when it does, it's really loud.
A beat and synth start, later, but the beat is pretty boring, the the synth doesn't really sound right with the rest of the song at all.
Eventually, it basically just drops off, into a much more pleasant piano-like tone.
In the last parts, quiet voice samples play in the background, which works well, but mechanical noises also start around this time which take away from the rest of it, which was disappointing.
It's an okay song, overall, as well as the longest track of the album.

#10 - Sphera
I could tell I wouldn't really like this one from the start. It was very bass-y, and felt a lot darker than most of Dragoide's stuff.
It reminded me of "stadiumencore", the final track off Dragoide's release "Pop", which I never really liked, either.
The majority of the song doesn't really change, with only a few background melodies occasionally being switched out with other layers and stuff.
It makes the first noticeable change after the middle of the track, which isn't great, either.
There's a lot more glitching near the end, which is nice, I guess, but it doesn't redeem the rest of it.
One of my two least favourites.

#11 - Coleskova
This one gave a good first impression, which it followed up well.
The beginning repeated just a few too many times, which I can overlook, I guess, since the rest of the track is great.
It felt calm and pleasant, which I approve of.
Most of the album feels fairly emotionless, except for a couple tracks, which kinda sucks. This definitely being one of those couple tracks.
It gets more fleshed out around the last third, which is much appreciated.
What I didn't like, though, was that near the end, the song basically tuned down, which sounded very unpleasant, before going back to normal again, to finish off.
In general, I really enjoyed this track, and I felt it ended the album pretty well.

Overall Rating: 5/10
There were some nice tracks, but most of it wasn't anything I'll probably listen to again, considering the rest of Dragoide's discography is better than it.

Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:56 am
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Sekiro, Persona 4
Waifu: That’s right. PS4.
hi friends i'm early today (and i updated my calendar)

Portishead - Portishead

I really like Portishead's first album, Dummy. It's awesome, very passive and relaxed and, well, "chill" (for lack of a better term). I like every track on Dummy. I've listened to Portishead's self titled once before but it didn't stick out to me. I gave it another try and like it a lot more than I remember originally!

It's even more passive and relaxed than Dummy, which originally sort of made the album fade into the wallpaper when I wasn't paying attention. This is still pretty much true, but I was a bit more compelled to pay attention to detail this time. The grooves and nuances from Dummy are still here, just a bit more subtle and faded. Beth Gibbons' voice is more passionate and varied than on Dummy, I think. It's nice. I really prefer tracks like Humming that are more reminiscent of the Boom Bap Boom Bap beat oriented tunes of their first album, though.

Like I said earlier, the album has a tendency to fade into the background if you aren't paying attention to it. It's probably a grower as well. For me, it's probably not quite as rewarding as Dummy is, so I'd really just rather listen to that (and I did. Right after I finished the self titled. I listened to Dummy. Right afterwards. Directly afterwards. And I enjoyed it more.)

I hate comparing albums to other albums in artists' discographies but it's hard not to when one album is really spectacular and the others don't match up.

I'm feeling a light 6. Favorite tracks: Over, Humming, Western Eyes

Basically, just listen to Dummy if you haven't. If you really like Dummy, there's something for you here. If not, just listen to Dummy instead. It's better.

c***.

Blue wrote:
lol Cry more, Terminex. f*** f**. lolololololol What a b****.

Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:50 am

MGN Username: blossom
Ultimate Spinach - Behold and See

A friend of mine sent me a track of this album once and I just knew I had to get it. I never actually listened to it though.

Ultimate Spinach is a psychedelic rock band from the late 60s, and this is their second album.

This album is made for chilling out to, for real. It's a smooth 50 minute ride with wonderful sounds that don't break the chill, and the lyrics are are always interesting. I liked the male vocalist a ton but I'm not a big fan of the female vocalist, that's really my only negative feeling towards this album. Don't have much to say, I just really enjoyed the music throughout the entire album. Would recommend

Visions of Your Reality is a great song to try.
I loved most of the tracks, "Where You're At" is my least favourite but even that ones alright. 8/10!

Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:56 pm

MGN Username: Nixter
Currently Playing: Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Piñata

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of hip-hop, but I've never payed attention to either of these two artists, Madlib the producer, Freddie Gibbs the rapper, the duo make a collab album that is just over 1 hour long, unfortunately I started to get bored of the weak rapping by the 3rd track, we get it Freddie, you're a thug; now what else do you have to say? The lyrics have a lot of swearing, which I don't really mind but it's just annoying when that's the whole basis of the lyrics, the beats sound classy but no way in hell they carry Gibbs here, blah blah blah cocaine, blah blah blah n*****, this album is pretty chill I will give it that, but after that, it's just a very boring album, I don't live the lifestyle of Freddie and I don't get anything from it, and he doesn't stray from there at all, the features aren't that interesting, either. There is also interludes at the ends of songs, either some samples or dialogue, which annoy me to be truthful.

Thuggin' is pretty chill, for the sake of a preview for y'all.

I rate this album a 3/10, bleh

(hopefully tomorrow's hip-hop album from Shad fares better, it's the only other hip-hop record for me this event!)

Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:26 pm

Night By Night - NxN

The album features 10 tracks, there were some pretty good gutar melodies here and there, and these vocolists are also good.

Nonetheless I didn't really enjoy too much of it alltogether.
I wanted to throw in many kinds of different genres to my list to discover new music, and so I've come to the conclusion that I'm not into this stuff, not seeing that the music isn't good or well made, On the contrary, these songs are p. well written
Preview of my favorite: Night By Night - "Holding Onto Holding On"

giving it a 5/10

Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:04 pm
Site Moderator

Today:
Late Registration by Kanye West
Preview: Diamonds from Sierra Leone

At first, this album wasn't really doing it for me. Despite how much I love MBDTF and how interesting I find Yeezus, College Dropout never really gripped me. The first few tracks seemed fairly weak to me, and I was about to give up on it admittedly. Despite its (mostly) weak start though, it goes on to really wake up and become a very interesting album. The thing that stands out the most to me is how human yeezy seems in this whole episode. Despite how much he tore into himself on MBDTF, the album still had an air of grandeur (and I don't think I even need to talk about Yeezus in that respect). Tracks like Roses and Hey Mama aren't just human -- they're downright touching.

The musical quality of the album has some huge highs too. Addiction really stuck with me, and especially Diamonds from Sierra Leone, which emphasizes the production, beat & sampling that makes me love MBDTF to death. And don't even get me started on Gold Digger. That s***'s a 10/10 pop song. When MTV does their stupid a** "top 100 songs of the 2000s" or whateverthe f*** that song will be top 10 every time. Up there with Hey Ya. & Feel Good Inc. f***' awesome.

Skits are always f***' dumb though and they never remain interesting in future listens. Prove me wrong

Rating: Good!

Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:45 pm
Site Moderator

MGN Username: Arel
Currently Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Waifu: Jesus of Nazareth
The Velvet Underground: show
The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground

So here we are, the follow up album to TVU's infamous "The Velvet Underground and Nico." While their debut album may have sounded to some like they were just playing it safe or just uninspired, you have to think of the music in context of the time it was created in. On that album they had fantastic production, mixing, and mastering, very bright and shiny guitar tones that hadn't been used by too many big bands at the time (not to mention go on to inspire future generations of twee and indie pop), interesting use of reverb and distortion which could have inspired the entire genre of shoegaze itself (especially on Venus in Furs), as well as some early forms of sampling. Although it may sound like nothing out of the ordinary by today's standards, you have to respect it for what it did for music for the years to come.

Now, "The Velvet Underground" is a whole new beast. No, the production/mastering/mixing isn't as on point, but I have a feeling that's not what they were shooting for on this album. It doesn't provide the new ideas and original sounds that they used on their debut, but I feel as if the songwriting has improved a lot. There's not as much going on, sometimes their will just be guitar and Lou Reed's vocals instead of having a ton of different sounds going on at the same time, making it feel more folky. Maybe some piano and drums every now or then, but nothing too noisy or intrusive. I really can't find a weak spot on this thing, and Jesus may in fact be one of my favorite TVU songs ever.

Both Albums are great and original, but in their own ways. I feel like the quality of the albums over all are about equal, however. This one might be an instant favorite of mine, and I'm glad that I took the time to listen to it this month. I feel like I'll come back to this album time and time again.

Rating:10/10

I'll either review Are You Experienced later tonight or some time tomorrow.

@Term: Late Registration is cool. Not as good as MBDTF, Yeezus, or Graduation, but still really cool.

@Nix: Sorry you didn't enjoy you're album, buddy :( Hopefully the next one is better to you!

@Luke: Remind me to listen to Portishead next month!

@KP: I need to listen to Opeth, too. Don't let me forget!

@Scott: Great review, man. Keep it up!

Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:04 pm
Site Moderator

Arel wrote:
@Term: Late Registration is cool. Not as good as MBDTF, Yeezus, or Graduation, but still really cool.
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy > Yeezus > Late Registration > The College Dropout > Nickelback's All The Right Reasons > 808's & Heartbreak
Haven't heard Graduation or Watch the Throne yet

Fight me and my hot opinions

Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:21 pm
Site Moderator

MGN Username: Arel
Currently Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Waifu: Jesus of Nazareth
It's ok I don't like 808's either.

Personally, Graduation is almost as good as Yeezus or equal.

You should give it a shot next month c:

Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:34 pm
 [ 606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 41  Next