The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 4:03 am

[ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
SSF2 Strategies 

MGN Username: Ganondoof
Currently Playing: Vanguard Princess, Upkmnfg, YGOPRO
lol, just walking back and forth in rapid succession.

Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:51 pm

MGN Username: knight223
Currently Playing: SSF2, Brave Frontier, Unison Leauge
Doof wrote:
lol, just walking back and forth in rapid succession.

Oh I've see it done but it has never baited me to approach so is it really that useful?

Characters I barley use: Marth

Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:43 am

I dunno, I always have Auto Dash on and never walk (cause Wario).

Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:44 am

MGN Username: coollogic16
I... got turbo stuff. if you want to make some cool combos watch this and use those. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siyI5p0f2Mc is the vid. i am doing turbo a lot. if you were in the chat yesterday and today and battled me you would know i love turbo. also something you might not of known, I am gonna use turbo on most of my online matches. But yeah. turbo is AMAZING!

Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:12 pm

MGN Username: Huey
Currently Playing: Smash 4. Waiting for Beta. They better code in Bidou...
Bomberman can reflect with sh Bomb Kick for those who didn't know

edit: I also recommend doing it as an attack in general. On the ground it's good to push them off you and rush in for grab or f-air. In air it's good for kicking bombs (you get a pretty nice amount of distance kicking bombs midair) and for kicking opponents too. Launches them in the same trajectory a bomb would go more or less. Just don't miss this move or you'll be punished by anyone competent

And grounded bomb kick destroys Naruto's clone mines if you didn't know

Last edited by Huey on Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:01 pm

lol as soon as we finish our match you go on and post here

Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:02 pm

Doof wrote:
lol as soon as we finish our match you go on and post here

lol I knew about it, I just always meant to post it here and doing it reminded me

Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:06 pm

MGN Username: coollogic16
Anyway, I got BM things that most of you know, but it's nice to help a noob. also, sonic's down b is different in Air... didnt know that till 9.b started. anyway, Turbo i want to make amazing combo's with, because you got at least 20 combonations per character, except for maybe bomber...

Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:05 pm

Currently Playing: All smash games, pokemon
stand and tilt pressure :P

Mains:ImageImage :fox: ? :zelda:?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWPfLs ... BiEiGXBaQg

Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:22 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: CSWooly
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, SSF2, SSB4, League of Legends.
Play like Chudat
Nuff Said

Click to expand thumbnail

SSF2 Backroom Character Analyst and Labber

Mains: :lucario: :simon:

Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:07 am
BR Member

MGN Username: TSF|Cookies
Currently Playing: PM, Melee, Ultimate, Hollow Knight
DarkSwiftN wrote:
Play like Chudat
Nuff Said

I cant do the Chu... I Kirbycided twice and got us down to one stock. Then I camped the ledge again, wanted to punish an approach with Final Cutter Meteor, missed the ledge and SD´d.

Shoutouts to Harr for this sick player card!

Join Chibi Nation, the 20CR Discord for all aspiring Chibi-Robo mains!

Click to expand thumbnail

Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:30 am

MGN Username: ohgosick
Currently Playing: Anything not called 'Undertale'.
Waifu: ur mum lmao
Skailler wrote:
DarkSwiftN wrote:
Play like Chudat
Nuff Said

I cant do the Chu... I Kirbycided twice and got us down to one stock. Then I camped the ledge again, wanted to punish an approach with Final Cutter Meteor, missed the ledge and SD´d.

playing like the kirby cpu is better, offscreen final cutter for game? lgi

The Americans came in and burned my village with their flaming uppercuts,
killing our water buffalo and leaving this scar on my chest...

Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:42 pm

Hello all. Today I will be sharing a few Bomberman tactics I use, as well as some basic information about how he works. Anyone familiar with him should skip the basic information, other than maybe what is in bold. My hope is that this will encourage people to play as him and also that it may help the people who struggle against him. Anything in bold is the most important stuff.

Basic Info #1
Bomberman's speed at the start of his dash is much greater than the rest of it. Basically, he leaps like a frog at the moment you press dash, followed by a slower paced sprint if you continue to dash. Knowing this, you can use the leap to your advantage. There are two base techniques for using the leap and those bases lead to all sorts of useful moves and setups.

-The first way you can use leap is simply by tapping dash at a controlled pace. Kind of like a pulse. You'll noticed that doing this will result in Bomberman doing leaps rather than him just sprinting. Doing this makes you much harder to hit because you are moving from the point where you start to the point where the leap ends in a very quick manner. Even if you just tap dash one time, you'll leap a decent distance. It takes about 4 or 5 leaps to move across a flat stage and only 1 leap to fall off soft platforms (like the ones on Battlefield). This dash technique is called Foxtrotting.

-The second way to use the leap is a bit more advanced. It is taking full advantage of the leap through a technique called Dash Cancel Boosting. It can increase Bomberman's speed greatly but in my opinion takes away from the control you have over him for as long as you're doing it. It's a very useful tactic for rushing an opponent unexpectedly, chasing after a good hit, or for running away but I think it should be used sparingly. However other Bombermen play entire games through Dash Cancel Boosting so it's entirely preference. When doing this technique correctly you'll move across the stage as fast as Captain Falcon.

To perform the Dash Cancel Boost I recommend that you have a sprint button rather than tap dashing. You need to hold your sprint button and start running, then repeatedly tap crouch in a quick succession while continuing to dash and also holding the direction you wish to go.

It's much easier for keyboard users but as a controller user, I can say it's possible by making crouch a button input (like B or X button making you crouch) through whatever mapping program you use for you controller. If you have questions on how to do this it's pretty simple and in my opinion it's not cheating at all because well... An input is an input. Anyway, just PM me and I'll talk you through it. It's easy.

So those are the 2 base techniques for increasing Bomberman's speed. When used seperately in my opinion he's not as good as when you use the two together. I'll explain some attacks each technique can setup for right after a bit more basic information about Bomberman.

Basic Info #2
Bomberman can use bombs. Shocker, right?

-There are three bomb sizes, the longer you hold the Special button the bigger the bomb gets. P bombs are the most powerful and KO often at the right %. Small bombs are great for followups. As soon as one is hit it's a guaranteed followup hit if you rush in quick enough. I don't really use medium bombs. Not sure what they're for.

-He can throw the bombs up, down or forward. Throwing forward is just the Special button. Throwing up is Special button then quickly tap up. Throwing down is Special button then quickly tap down.

-It doesn't matter if you're on the ground or in the air, throwing bombs downward will always plant them quicker. When knocked up high it is sometimes smart to rain bombs down from above by dropping them downward. It can make for a safe landing.

-Forward bomb toss can put pressure on camping opponents, can be used for tech chases and offstage recovery gimps, and is also a better option when coming back to stage from a high trajectory, since dropping them down would throw them offstage.

Throwing bombs up is good if your opponent recovers high a lot or if you want to throw them off. People seldom look up, even if they just watched you throw a bomb they'll still rush it. Just wait and pop. Also good as an intimidation tactic when mixed with plating bombs downward. Throw one up then down then one up then one down. No one will go near you and if they do pop the bombs.

PEOPLE FIGHTING AGAINST BOMBERMAN; Don't fear the bombs, fear the followup. Even if there are 5 bombs on the field you rush him no matter what. It's hard to detonate accurately when your opponent is coming at you constantly. Just remember to jump and shield at times to try to stay safe. It's honestly just a guessing game for you since detonate is so quick. Try to pick up on detonating habits and use them to your advantage. And if they're P bombs, disregard all I just said about rushing, especially when you're at high %. P bombs kill so often. Just try to shield or set off a bad detonation. When at very low % it's good to take the P bomb hit then rather than running from it and letting yourself get picked at. And remember once a bomb is hit, a smart Bomberman is rushing is for some kind of aerial. Be on notice and try to jump out of the way or airdodge.

Knowing those basic things about Bomberman (His leap and his bombs) here are a few techniques I use all the time. Hopefully you'll find use for them too.

-I call this one Bomb Substitution. It's a staple technique for Bombeman in my opinion. Basically you cook a bomb in your opponent's face (but at a safe enough distance to react) and when they try to punish or rush you, plant the bomb in place and leap away once. Then detonate. Works a lot of the time with all size bombs. Good for P bomb KOs at high percents. Another way to bomb substitute is to cook the bomb, throw it down and full hop straight up as they are rushing in for the attack, then detonate. However, getting a P bomb is hard to do on speedy characters or ballsy opponents, so sometimes it's better to settle for an M bomb hit instead of going for the p bomb kill.

Almost no one sees a bomb substitution coming no matter how much you do it because all they see is you cooking that bomb and they rush in immediately to stop you before it becomes a P bomb. They are more concerned with a punish/stopping the P bomb than they are the possibility of a Bomb Substitution. This technique is a lose lose situation for your opponent because they have 2 obvious options as I see it.

Option 1 (the option most go with): They rush in and try to hit you before you release the bomb. This is exactly what you want them to do so you can "substitute" yourself with a bomb as they go for the hit, then detonate for a followup or even better, a P bomb KO.

Option 2 (the option some, but not many go with. Also a bad option to be honest.): They understand that if they rush in, you'll drop the bomb and pop it. For this reason they sit back instead of rushing in. This results in a free P bomb most of the time unless the have a projectile to hit you from a distance with.

For those fighting Bomberman, there's also a third option. The best option. When a Bomberman starts cooking a bomb, rush him. If you hit him before he gets the bomb out, good. But don't expect to, instead be ready for him to jump and pop the bomb. Just shield it. The thing that makes this technique good is it's surprise element. If you go in expecting it to happen and shield instead of swinging, it becomes useless in a sense.

The next 2 are techniques I use for spreading bombs. There's Walk Spreading and Dash Spreading. Very straightforward names, very useful but different tactics. Only small bombs are needed for both tactics. Both are punishable and should be used at the beginning of a new stock or when the opponent is knocked off stage.

Walk Spreading http://gyazo.com/9534462f056e230d00fed3834e511468 - To spread bombs together in a close space; done by walking from edge to center and planting 5 bombs downward in a quick, rhythmic succession. You can cover half the map in bombs in a matter of seconds this way and keep the enemy afraid to even touch that side or the center. It gives you full control of half the map with them near the edge. Then if you manage to hit your opponent into the bomb field and detonate, almost all the bombs in the area will deal damage. Then follow up with f-air and Walk Spread again instead of chasing. This tactic manipulates the fear of bombs in people very well.

Walk Spreading is more mental than anything. When an opponent sees 5 bombs caked together from the center to edge, they tend to stay on the clear side. You only detonate once the opponent has lost fear of the bombs and is chasing you into them, you have a guaranteed followup, or you're in danger. If you hit with the bombs when using this tactic make sure to try and follow up severely to instill fear back into them. Then replant bombs. Keep in mind that hitting the bombs with this technique usually leads to about 16-20% damage since they're so close together. Use it wisely because it can lead to KOs.

Dash Spreading http://gyazo.com/4b42158588ee0abcc9100469ddee9225 - Using Bomberman's slow leap to cover the entire map in bombs; done by tapping dash to leap in a controlled pulse and planting bombs downward in between leaps from edge to edge. It should take you 4 leaps and 4 bombs to cover the entire map. Can be done in about 3 seconds. The 5th bomb goes in the center or on the side you wish to control more. Can also go on a platform. This will keep your opponent running around and randomly shielding to avoid bombs. Play off their fear but be ready to detonate since you can easily just spread them again.

Dash Spreading is more useful for a guaranteed followup through a single bomb hit and can be performed without needing to cover the entire map. Just 2 or 3 will control a good amount of space. However since the bombs are more widespread, they are easier to avoid. Makes sure to space them as tightly as you can. This technique can be used mid battle more easily that Walk Spreading and it's primary focus is to go for detonation. Once you hit a bomb through this tactic be ready to rush in and f-air. You can also dash spread 2 bombs so they're a good distance from each other, hit your opponent away, then Walk Spread 3 bombs in between the first 2 instead of chasing. It's not always going to be easy to spread bombs so sometimes this tactic is best because the bomb spreading done it 2 parts instead of one swoop. You can keep your opponent back this way and plant with less pressure.

Using these 3 basic techniques(Bomb Substitution, Walk Spreading, and Dash Spreading), your Bomberman's bomb game will improve greatly.

I'll talk more about his neutral and air game in another post, assuming this one generates any interest. Sorry if I worded anything in a confusing way, feel free to ask for clarification.

Last edited by Huey on Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:55 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:29 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
Shouldn't this be in the Bomberman thread?

Something I'll say with my limited experience against Bomberman is that bombs have deceptive vertical coverage, so on stages with platforms you want to have bombs at many levels. This makes you more difficult to approach and gives you more bang for your buck in terms of stage control.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:28 am
BR Member

I thought the dash cancel boost was called a foxtrot

Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:27 pm
 [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next