The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 7:37 am

[ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Dec 2014 X Qualifying Tournament [SIGN UP IN THIS THREAD!] 

MGN Username: blossom
oh man that was crazy long
ggs to everybody i'm completely wiped out

Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:46 pm
BR Member

Location: The wonderful world of... someplace that isn't on fire.
MGN Username: Dark Ermac
Well dammit, I didn't realize there was a bracket afterwards. Oh well, I'll be sure to kick a** at the Monthly.

Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:37 pm

MGN Username: Sekanor
Currently Playing: Melee, SSF2, SA2B, SM63, MKDD (all the games I'm playing from an advanced side)
Congrats to Kyoz for winning, and gg to everyone I played and the others ! =D
That tournament was absolutely great !

http:twitch.tv/sekanor <- streaming speedruns, and smash sometimes
Melee & SSF2 Advanced Player
Sonic Adventure 2 & Super Mario 63 & Mario Kart Double Dash Speedrunner

Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:54 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Doq
Currently Playing: one of thousands of variations of Solitaire
Waifu: Es
Congratulations for Kyoz winning (again...).
RESULTS: show
Kyoz 20
Sekanor 8
DarkErmac 6
blossom 5
Doqtor Kirby 4
WRXJoey 3
Gosick 2
Jammy 2
BensonObama 1
Perfect Hell 1
TzOG C 1
Infernape 0
Miracle--7 -1
SageHarpuiaJDJ -3

I do want to ask the competitors, is this generally better than raw Double Elim, or is DE better? And which one should be the format for X1 two weeks from now?

Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm
YIM WWW

Swiss seemed fine i just didnt like some of the methods to determine its top 8. Mainly what happened with byes. If people drop out, imo a fresh swiss should be created so at most 1 person gets a bye.

As an example of the bye problems:
I placed 9th. 8th through like 14th or 15th or something were all at 2 points, so the next determinant for placing is tie-breaker wins, or wins against other players in your point grouping. I had one of these, 8th had 2 of them, and everyone else in our group had none. When i looked deeper into it though, i found that both of 8th place player's TB wins were against players who should have had only 1 point, but got free points from byes. My TB win however was against someone who actually had earned their 2 points. Another player placed higher up had 3 points, thanks to a bye. Without that bye, it's possible he would've been in the 2 point tier, and who knows how his placing actually would have been.

Now, in all of these cases it's perfectly possible that if those guys had had to play 1 more real match, they would've won anyway and ended up with those point totals. But even then, those wins would've meant losses for someone else so no matter which way you slice it, byes completely screwed up the points procedure. And not just for me, for everyone. For example the 3 points guy i mentioned before, his presence in that tier likely had an effect on the rest of that tier of players in terms of TB wins and such. In the same way that the 2 guys in the 2point tier with byes affected the 2 point tier TB counts.

I think Swiss is fine in concept but you need to minimize byes. If people drop out of the tournament round 1, literally create a new round 1.

Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:13 pm
BR Member

Byes are going to become a thing in any sort of tournament that isn't 8, 16, or 32 etc. However giving byes a free point was for sure not an option, so I am considering (and will likely implement) 0 points/bye instead of 1. I am not sure half is possible.

Also the three points guy... I didn't even count his X points because he had multiple reports of cheating.

Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:20 pm
YIM WWW

Dreamland's Only Elf wrote:
Byes are going to become a thing in any sort of tournament that isn't 8, 16, or 32 etc.

There's a difference though. In smash tournaments, byes are given to the highest seeded players and they earned that seed. These byes gave free points out literally randomly.

Having a bye equal 0 points sucks too though, now that player has 1 less chance to earn a point than other players. Like i side, i think if people disappear at the start of a tournament a new round 1 should be created. Thanks to the Swiss format logically there should never be more than 1 bye in the entire thing.

Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:35 pm
BR Member

perfecthell4 wrote:
Dreamland's Only Elf wrote:
Byes are going to become a thing in any sort of tournament that isn't 8, 16, or 32 etc.

There's a difference though. In smash tournaments, byes are given to the highest seeded players and they earned that seed. These byes gave free points out literally randomly.

Having a bye equal 0 points sucks too though, now that player has 1 less chance to earn a point than other players. Like i side, i think if people disappear at the start of a tournament a new round 1 should be created. Thanks to the Swiss format logically there should never be more than 1 bye in the entire thing.

Looking at the bracket the only reason we had byes this time was because one dropped out, so creating a new round 1 entirely would have been moot anyway.

I don't know how I would arrange byes as of right now. I will likely just say no byes and either find a player in the crowd the day of or cut a player entirely. Probably the former, though.

Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:02 pm
YIM WWW

Oh, i see. An odd number of players means that byes will happen once per round, not just once overall. That makes sense.

You could also try round robin pools instead of swiss. For example; 4 pools, top 2 in each pool make it out. Pools has the added benefit of accounting for player seeds.

Or, you could make an even number of players by adding in a CPU player :smug:

Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:02 am
BR Member

perfecthell4 wrote:
Oh, i see. An odd number of players means that byes will happen once per round, not just once overall. That makes sense.

You could also try round robin pools instead of swiss. For example; 4 pools, top 2 in each pool make it out. Pools has the added benefit of accounting for player seeds.

Or, you could make an even number of players by adding in a CPU player :smug:

Exactly.

I'm pretty sure that the attendance isn't large enough to justify pools. Only 16 people showed up, which I don't think should have pools at all.

Amiibo confirmed? :smug:

Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:58 am
YIM WWW

Pools is great for low attendance honestly. I once ran a melee tournament of like 10-12 people using RR pools. Means everyone gets to play more games, and then the top segment of players who made it out get a normal bracket. It was a successful event, RR pools was definitely a good thing. Just an option.

Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:42 pm
BR Member

Location: The wonderful world of... someplace that isn't on fire.
MGN Username: Dark Ermac
Still, you have to remember that not everyone has the time for pools and bracket.

For the next event, I would suggest that you go with either swiss or DE bracket, but not both. Maybe have a small series of X events that use swiss, which determine points for entering into a larger DE event.

Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:54 pm
 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2