The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 4:24 pm

[ 8 posts ] 
Advancing Character Metagames 

MGN Username: EaglePie
Currently Playing: Melee/PM, SSF2, FEH
Waifu: ...idc
What kind of things do you think are underused/necessary for a character to get good? Currently I think there are a few things that can be used in competitive play for mindgames and optimal usage that are underused/unused. Maybe it's a combo, maybe it's an undiscovered tech, or a certain attribute you think could make that character better.
This next part is my stuff, it's a rant. Read it if you want.

Sheik - Sheik sliding is very useful. If used on stages with large platforms, you can just trick the opponent and temporarily confuse them, in theory. Also, needle canceling (done by needle charge->attack (like grab/down smash) to immediate shield input) seems like a useful mechanic for mindgames and getting some grabs or a kill like down smash, again in theory because no one uses them and no one uses Sheik smh

Peach - Recovery shenanigans is great. Pulling turnips and properly spacing with double jump cancels and float cancels is KEY. Nair and d tilt (to fair/nair) for egdeguards IS SO GOOD. Nair is probably better than nair since it is good for getting people off you and is strong while being pretty fast and having good range. I think down throw is good for quick mixups and can lead to a float cancel dair or nair/up air. Immediately releasing float will allow for quick and easy access than anything else. FLOAT CANCEL PEOPLE USE IT. Not only that but she has chaingrabs. Rising double jump cancels are really good as well as that can lead to other aerials or a float. Her full hope dair, or short hop dair for heavyweights and fastfallers, is super good for linking into a nair or up air and edgeguarding. again, float canceling dair can be useful for edgeguards.

Falco - I know he's good but still... He has some things that people have bias towards and aren't used. First is shine bair. I don't get why people don't use this, it's so good and covers many DI options, and also kills well or sets up for edgeguards which Falco excels at. It goes until decently high percents. His throws are also underused, more than in Melee. Using up throw can get extra damage and maybe lead into a combo if you're good enough. Down throw is good if they don't tech or if you read it for some interesting tech chases. Also, like in Melee, facing backwards is a lot better than facing forwards. Spacing AUTO CANCEL (using it instantly after short hop) bairs and up tilts this way gets you lots of combos and creates a wall to stuff approaches.

Falcon - People are just too unoptimal. Please stop using Falcon Punch, "reads", horrible unoptimal combos, and disrespects and horrible knees/dairs offstage. Usually you just end up killing yourself, whether it's being unable to get back onstage or getting reverse edgeguarded. In neutral, SH nairs are the best and go behind them. SH dairs are worse but combo better. SH knee is no good at all but can get you far if it works. SH up airs are better but not as good as nair. Space bairs as well, they create a wall. Grabs in neutral are usually a no-no unless you're invincible (e.g. Off spawn platform) When people are on ledge, use up tilt. It creates walls and hits pretty far down, and can cover options before that option gets invincibility. While recovering (this is a no-brainer) but falcon kick when you're high enough and always sweetspot with side b, otherwise do a low up b. If you're high up and close to the stage, up b and mix up your drift. Down throw and up throw are good, but up throw at low percents is better, since down throw is DI'd easily. At later percents down throw and react to techs and DI.

I think that's it, what about you? Do you like these? What are your thoughts? Anyways, hope you guys like this idea

Brawl: Sheik, Meta Knight
Project M: Falco, Roy, Mewtwo
Smash Flash 2: Falco, Captain Falcon, Marth, Fox, Pichu
Smash 4: Roy, Dr. Mario
Ultimate: Lucina

Currently working on my own Smash Java project as a hobby

Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:00 pm

MGN Username: RavinRaven
Currently Playing: SSF2, The Game of Love
Waifu: Luna (Gwain Saga)
:blackmage: : F-smash and charged U-smash are massively underestimated. Sure, they can be read and punished pretty easily, but both kill at around 100%, and have large and long-lasting hitboxes that can catch opponents off guard easily.
:link: : Arrows are really good at punishing landings, and if you hit someone with a bomb-arrow off stage when they're above 70%, it kills. Arrows are practically broken. Also, Dair, even though it can't spike like it should, is an excellent kill move with very little end-lag, especially when it connects. If someone's in the air trying to send you upwards, Dair is a super easy reversal.

That's all I have for now, and I'm sure I'm gonna trigger someone, since these are pretty n00b tactics.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:45 pm

the charged smash attacks could probably be used for edgeguards, in fact BMs do use f smash for it, up smash should be for high recoveries since it covers a lot of space
Link's arrows should be short hopped and used to space out opponents in neutral, and bomb arrows are broken af. If you know how to aim them perfectly they're dead. Dair sets up for combos and can kill really bad. RIP me

Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:23 pm

MGN Username: Excecutioner12
Currently Playing: Ssf2
:naruto: should use stage control more often because he can capitalize off of it and get hits or a grab for combos.
:sonic: PLAY CAMPY LIKE WRATH

https://discord.gg/v4mVf4n
JOIN THE MEGAMAN DISCORD FOR ALL SUPER FIGHTING ROBOTS! [color=#404000][/color]

Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:32 pm

yeah lol Naruto gets tons of punishes and his neutral is super duper broken. Sonic should camp, and his forward air actually is better since it kills very safely. It's annoying but Sonic is underrated like most characters. People are so biased based on "majority" opinion and others are either making the character look worse or don't try to MAKE them seem good f*** smh. All techs should be used. I've seen most techs done in tourneys in Melee (Even PK Thunder jacket/YYG) and they don't stop because others don't think it's good. Only hard bs stuff consisting of certain teamworks or hard to pull off game mechanics (like Black Hole and Link's shield stuff, weird, schmoo made a video on it). Anyway, ignoring my rant...

Fox's should run double shine more. It's relatively easy to double shine and it STILL works on most characters. I think neutral should now consist of more mindgame dash dance/crouch-canceled dashes and nairs. It's harder to do much else besides run-up dair behind them or their shield to grab, which isn't too good. Up throw is okay now, but down throw to mix up really quickly or f throw CG. I feel like Fox got nerfed hard for people like me who ground hours of tech skill/combo/movement practice and feels different now. I HATE THIS PATCH AND SO DOES SMASH LADDER. JUST ASK DANY2THENY, MONTE ADEPT/WEONITSO, BOXGENERAL, GOATLIFIC (3rd best on Smash Ladder) OR ME. I'M SURE OTHERS DO TOO.

Falcon needs more good edgeguards like bair, bair kills at decent percents. Space it out and you'll most likely get a hit because they're scared and want to get as much percent, but bair beats them out lots of times.
His edgeguard should consist of ledge grabs (easier because you can now run and let go at the edge and fall off, grabbing the ledge) and bairs, on-stage knees, up airs/tilts, and/or on stage dairs to be safe.

Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:09 pm

I was going to say something for pac, but the character limits were too low as its only 60k.

Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:39 pm

"say something for pac"
holy s*** how do you do 60k words
just summarize it like me lol I do that kind of rant/essay too, hard for me not to

Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:04 pm

MGN Username: RavinRaven
Currently Playing: SSF2, The Game of Love
Waifu: Luna (Gwain Saga)
playridise wrote:
I was going to say something for pac, but the character limits were too low as its only 60k.

:xd:

Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:00 pm
 [ 8 posts ]