The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 6:27 pm

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Zane Kura 

Zane Kura

Male

Everyone never seems to notice him unless he speaks

Very strong and smart

He is a dark minded kid at the age of 12 and barely ever seems to care about life and death

He has powers He And Everyone Else Doesnt Know About

He wears black t-shirt and black jeans ruffled black hair and strange red eyes

Weight 82.8

Height 5.4 and very slim

(give ideas if you think it needs work)

~A secret place for me and you. Where everyday was fun and new. A simple time played in our heads. We'll tell this story again..~

Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:03 pm

Currently Playing: Mandolin

Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:10 pm
Site Admin

It needs some work. Your whole bio seems to be jumbled and lacks organization. You should probably set it up as

Name:
Race: (not always necessary)
Personality: (What they're like, here you can elaborate how dark minded he is and perhaps touch upon why he is, though don't give it all the way because that's what the bio part of the profile is usually for)
Appearance: (Personally, I like to describe what they look like physically and then describe their clothing. Also discuss what is so strange about his red eyes. Is he albino? Are they enchanting? Do they creep people out while he's staring at them? Do they have a slight glow? Also I'm getting the picture of an emo kid is that what you want? Or perhaps is he some sort of punk rock kid? What about his shoes? Or are they boots? Are his clothes neat? Or do they look rugged?)
Abilities: (Don't always have to be something razzle dazzle, they can be even that he's got a knack for typing or he's good with a screwdriver. You mentioned powers though you didn't even describe them...or what they are? Also if he doesn't know about his powers it doesn't mean that you (the creator) doesn't. Feel free to elaborate on everything just state that he has yet to acquire said abilities. You can also mention how he is combat wise in this section such as is he capable of hand to hand combat etc maybe even mention a weapon (or you could make that another section if you wish to describe the characteristics of the weapon itself.
Background/Biography: (Personally my favourite part of the character creation process. : D You kind of wrap everything together from everything above and explain why everything is, and other facts about his life that make him live as a character. It's good to mention things about family, or daily life. Personal experiences especially childhood ones because those usually end up being pivotal. You can explain his dark nature and why he's like that, and especially discuss the origin of his powers and when they manifested. When working on this part try your best to almost make it a story it makes a much better bio than "He did this then he did that then he did this and that. Now his life sucks." Also it's good to leave the ending of the bio on a cliff to show that the character is still going to grow and there is much that he or she has to go through/learn/accomplish etc.

Happy RPing ^.~

Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:18 pm

i think i got an idea on the bio and his powers

~A secret place for me and you. Where everyday was fun and new. A simple time played in our heads. We'll tell this story again..~

Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:24 pm

Name:Zane Kura

Race:Half human half demon

Personality:He has split personaliltys good and evil he thinks of how he is going to do next and what will happen to him.Good Mind wants to get rid of his demon counterpart and find any family or someone to help him.Evil mind wants to take over this body and become Fully Demon when angry or in a state where he need help the demon will take over or help him

Appearance:Looks Young For his age and has a scar across his left eye with his demon half gave him some non human apearences like red eyes his eye sometimes creep and charm people clawish fingers and can change voice from demonic to human.His height 4.7,weight 70 pounds

Abilities:Can generates shadows of himself and throw fire/shadow balls.jumps 10ft and strong enough to at least make a dent in metal and smart enough to hack a computer good with lock picking and his eye can charm and creep people in a way to his adavantage and hiding and sneaking around

Background/Biography: When he was Born a demon manifested inside of him.Over the years his parents stressed him do that do this and it triggered his demon when his was 6 it awakened he lost control and killed his family expect his Older brother who hid at the start he has no memory from this.He was horrified when he gained control he wanted to know who it was then the demon spoke inside inside his mind.Demon:"Muahahaha Like What I Did".Zane:"What Whose There".
Demon:"me you us whatever you want to call it".He Lived Alone as a theives from them since he had no family (note: he doesnt know his older brother is still alive) He stealed,He hid ,he was striving to live.

Last edited by Silverthorns on Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:38 am, edited 10 times in total.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:32 pm

Please, instead of creating several incomplete drafts, do us and yourself a favor by working on it until you get all the information done.
Otherwise no C+C can come of it.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:33 pm

Oh dear. You need some help, sir, and I will provide it without exempting a natural harshness~ Brace yourself for constructive criticism so you don't get all defensive, though I tried to avoid decaying into my normal slew of insults.

Hollow King wrote:
Zane Kura Since we aren't told what era nor what country this character is from, we cannot determine if this is an odd name or not. That being said, it sounds Japanese, which can drag a character down quite severely, especially if it is not in an appropriate setting.

Male

Everyone never seems to notice him unless he speaks Miscellaneous information like this is best worked into a personality or background (preferably given reason if you take the latter route) rather then left floating in a sea of misplaced sentences. Coming to that, this is a very disorganized attempt; try using the format Kiki laid out for you.

Very strong and smart How strong? Strong for a twelve year old, or strong for a human? How smart? Again, a misplaced sentence; these would classify as abilities. How is he so strong and smart? "He just is" isn't very valid.

He is a dark minded kid at the age of 12 and barely ever seems to care about life and death And here's where things get rocky. Immediately crying out for my attention is those two numbers. Those two goddamn numbers do not belong together in any sort of good character. A child prodigy without VERY good reason is one of the worst literary crimes you can commit; And you shouldn't settle for a teenager, either. It should be quite obvious that a (pre)pubescent character has simply not lived long enough to accumulate enough experience to meet the standards of ability that are laid out for them; aim for the twenties, at the very least. Moving on, why is he dark minded? Just how dark minded is he? Why doesn't he care about life and death? These aren't questions you can leave lingering; A good writer will answer them in a way that leaves the reader a base to build on in their mind; visions of a character will differ from person to person, and a writer must do their best to nudge these visions in the right direction without setting them in stone.

He has powers He And Everyone Else Doesnt Know About Another terrible crime. "It is unknown" is a very bad excuse to use to get out of the (very little) effort you would exert imagining these abilities. Furthermore, a character unaware of their own abilities are often difficult to write, as it is likely necessary to be completely normal until these abilities are brought into light. I could go on about this, but you should get the point by now.

He wears black t-shirt and black jeans ruffled black hair and strange red eyes Characters who wear all black and have strange, intimidating features about them are generally considered emo, which is rarely a stereotype fit for use. Why are his strange eyes so strange? Another question you shouldn't have left lingering. If it wasn't obvious, this needs far more detail and thus effort. Misplaced sentence.

Weight 82.8 A word affixed with some numbers. What weight system is this? Also, misplaced sentence.

Height 5.4 and very slim Kind of tall for a prepubescent, but it's not my call. Misplaced sentence.

(give ideas if you think it needs work) This most definitely DOES need work. For one, you need to put actual effort in to writing, as this is a very bare bones example of a character. I don't know anything about him other then his clothes and hair, that he has mysterious powers, and that he may or may not be emo. Make an effort and maybe you'll churn out something decent.

And since you have given me another draft to work with, I will review this one as well. As Whimskull said previously, you've left entire parts out.

Hollow King wrote:
Name:Zane Kura See previous comments on this field.

Age:14 (i didnt want 12 i missed typed) Better, but still mind numbingly bad.

Race:Halfhuman half demon Ugh. Did a demon rape his mother or something? This is very unstable ground to be treading on. I won't go into further detail as you haven't even bothered to finish this draft.

Personality:He has split personaliltys good and evil he thinks of how he is going to do next and what will happen to him Bare bones and a cliché. Split personalities are a very cheap way to tackle keeping in character as it is at the writer's discretion to misuse the boundaries he has set.

Appearance:Looks Young For his age and has a scar across his left eye with his demon half gavehim some non human apearences like red eyes his eye sometimes creep and charm people in a way to his adavantage A fourteen year old who is tall and supposedly thin as a stick will not look young; If anything, he would look much older, and the supposedly dark mind compliments this well. How did he obtain the scar? This is something to factor into the background. Again, how is he half demon? Why is this an excuse for his eyes to have some sort of emotion bending magic s***? And if his eyes are his only unique or "demonic" feature, he does not have a few unique features, he has one. Needs a lot of work.

Abilities:can generates shadows of himself and throw fire/shadow balls can jump high and very strong and smart While it should be obvious due to his cliché race, why can he generate shadows and throw balls of fire/the absence of light? Why can he jump high? Does he just have strong legs? And again, why is he so strong and smart? Is he strong and smart for his age or as a human/demon in general?
Background/Biography still needs work Along with everything else in this pathetic excuse for a character. Don't work on it in the way you've worked on it with every other part of this s***, work with EFFORT.

Well, I tried to be as helpful as I could, but you didn't give me much to work with~ The main problem you have is a lack of effort. With effort will come detail, and I'm not seeing either in these drafts.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:14 am

im trying ok its just that well...im new and made this character along time ago that i used for something else im trying to convert him to this.........i edited it to put my bio in there and a few updates on it

Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:36 am

On that "Split Personality."

Something like that is HARD to pull off successfully, otherwise it looks cheap and seems as if no effort went into either of the character's personalities. A split personality consists of two constant emotions that plague a person; it is not at will. You cannot go from calm to RAAAAAAGE in a split second and call it a split personality. A split personality is somewhat like being bi-polar. There is often a trigger to such a reaction.

I will use (through lack of a better example that I know well) an older character of mine, Serene Lefia. Now, Serene's personality played out differently than I originally planned, and actually built off my earlier base ("A woman who wished to be strong and acted as such, but in reality was weak both mentally and physically. Therefore, she would often try to fight, but in the end only severely injure herself because she was much weaker than she believed herself to be.") In this, Serene's personality was already complete.

However, during the RP, certain events triggered painful memories, revealed terrible scars, and fostered hatred for others. In this situation, Serene had basically began to loose her sanity. When she was with the man she loved, she was levelheaded (and a bit headstrong); HOWEVER, at a drop of a pin, an event could trigger a completely different reaction from within.
i.e. The sight of something that brought back memories of her mother's death instantly plunged her from levelheaded to suicidal or on the verge of breaking down. She would also go s*** insane when around said hated members of the group.
Now, what seals the deal and makes this split personality-ish, is the fact that she went from levelheaded to a breakdown, and then instantly back to levelheaded based of the events that triggered the reactions.
Inasmuch, it is not at will that the personality shifts, but instead based on several key factors that have the ability to cause this change. That in a, somewhat still vague, nutshell, is a split personality/bi-polar syndrome.

Hey, Serene isn't the best example, and I certainly did not pull off the split personality perfectly, but it was the only example I had on hand.

Now, let's look at yours.
Quote:
Personality:He has split personaliltys good and evil he thinks of how he is going to do next and what will happen to him.Good Mind wants to get rid of his demon counterpart and find any family or someone to help him evil wants to take over this body and become Full Demon

You have barely explained what makes the personalities differ, which is important, because they can either be direct parallels or diverge completely. Personality is very important to the character! DO NOT BE VAGUE ON THIS SUBJECT!

My major issue with this is that there is NO TRIGGER that fluctuates the two personalities. What makes the demon awaken?
Temporal gates weaken? The lowered guard during sleeping allows the demon to control the slumbering mind? Anything?
PLEASE, EXPLAIN!
YOU CANNOT JUST SAY, "OH THE DEMON AWAKENS" at random without a trigger. The trigger is the most essential factor in a split personality!
Without a trigger, you cannot have a split personality pulled off even slightly well, and in the end it looks like shoddy workmanship because you did not want to put in the effort to create a character at all!

Last edited by Whimzer on Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:05 am

Hollow King wrote:
Name:Zane Kura (last name father american mother japanense they went with the mother last name he is not japanense he didnt inherit it) I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to convey with the annotation, and I don't think I want to. but from what I can interpret, you are saying that this child, presumably born in America, used his mother's maiden name instead of the family name, which is almost always the father's. I digress, it is your character.

Race:Half human half demon I suppose it's just part of the character. You don't pull this off even half decently in your background, so I can't say I approve.

Personality:He has split personaliltys good and evil he thinks of how he is going to do next and what will happen to him.Good Mind wants to get rid of his demon counterpart and find any family or someone to help him evil wants to take over this body and become Full Demon In agreement with Whimskull, I have decided to omit this section so he may cover it far more thoroughly then I could. See his post above.

Appearance:Looks Young For his age and has a scar across his left eye with his demon half gave him some non human apearences like red eyes his eye sometimes creep and charm people Not changed at all. See previous post.

Abilities:Can generates shadows of himself and throw fire/shadow balls.jumps 10ft and strong enough to at least make a dent in metal and smart engough to hack a computer good with lock picking and his eye can charm and creep people in a way to his adavantage and hiding and sneaking around All you added here was vague boundaries of his abilities, which you are no doubt going to violate. His strength makes very little sense, even if he is a demon, as he is barely pubescent. A kid on the streets does not learn how to hack computers or pick locks. The sneaking talent makes sense, I suppose.

Background/Biography When he was Born a demon manefested inside of him it was.When he was 6 it awakened he lost control and killed his family expect his Older brother who hid at the start he has no memory from this.He was horrified when he gained control he wanted to know who it was then the demon spoke inside inside his mind.Demon:"Muahahaha Like What I Did".Zane:"What Whose There".
Demon:"me you us whatever you want to call it".He Lived Alone as a theives from them since he had no family (note: he doesnt know his older brother is still alive) He stealed,He hid ,he was striving to live Oh jesus, where to begin. First of all, your sentence structure is terrible; some of your sentences end unceremoniously, and others just don't make sense. A demon manifesting inside a baby sounds awfully like something out of Naruto, which I have no doubt you watch religiously. The "killing his family" gig is a TERRIBLE cliché; if nobody ever used it again, it would be too soon. The older brother and convenient amnesia are clichés as well, and unoriginality is a plague to any decent writer, fiction or otherwise. The following sentence makes little sense; the word "horrified" does not properly convey a six year old murdering his entire family, and he seems to lose any emotion by the next sentence. Never mix dialogue into a background- although we do need to know the details of his life, we do not need to know the conversations during or after them, merely the events themselves. I doubt a child would simply leave, emotionless, and become an effective thief, but this is not my character so I won't go into depth as long as you get the point. The end leaves a lingering sense of rushed writing, as you did not even bother to add a period at the end. Overall, this is a serviceable character, but it still needs a lot of work.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:06 am

ok i did update personality abit still need work i get that and some other stuff got put in there

Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:40 am

That trigger is terrible.

RAGE = DEMON is so damn cliche (f*** you Kyzak no accent)

Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:41 am

what do you suggest

Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:44 am
Site Moderator

Code:
Name:Zane Kura

Kura is a female Japanese given name, not a surname. Therefore, it has no business being there. Now, Zane is a given name, but it's Arabic. Why is he Arabic? What's the purpose?

Code:

Way too young. Your character has no experience and will not function well in specific situations. As such, his physical strength and other characteristics have not been fully developed, making him more dead weight than anything else.

Code:
Race:Half human half demon

Bad. The reason you've given for him being half demon is utter crap. If anything, he's merely possessed. If you wanted him to be a successful half demon, you should've had his mother either fall in love with a powerful one or have her kidnapped and impregnated by one. Plus, there's no reason for him to become possessed. Where did the demon come from? Why did it just pop up in his... stomach?

Code:
Personality:He has split personaliltys good and evil he thinks of how he is going to do next and what will happen to him.Good Mind wants to get rid of his demon counterpart and find any family or someone to help him.Evil mind wants to take over this body and become Fully Demon when angry or in a state where he need help the demon will take over or help him

Another hole. If he has two distinctly different personalities, your posts in any RP would be overly complex. He would be constantly contradicting himself, arguing with himself, and probably wouldn't be mentally stable enough to travel or fight effectively. This raises another question, as well... why wasn't the demon able to take control over the human? If he attached himself to him as an unborn fetus, then he would've had control from the start. Babies cannot resist, thus he would've been born completely evil. Possession is only ever combated if the person is fully aware of their surroundings and self at the time of attack.

Code:
Appearance:Looks Young For his age and has a scar across his left eye with his demon half gave him some non human apearences like red eyes his eye sometimes creep and charm people clawish fingers and can change voice from demonic to human.His height 4.7,weight 70 pounds

s***. A demon cannot partially manifest itself on the host unless a barrier is cracked or the soul allows the creature to go through. Once it's out, it cannot be resealed. Don't argue that Naruto s***, either. In that show, they're dealing with magical chakras and ninjas. With an actual demon possession in standard fiction, it's known that the beast is kept at bay solely by sheer willpower. He cannot "pop claws" at any time or use a little bit of its power. Deformations may occur if the demon's strength is overpowering, however it's anything but charming.

Code:
Abilities:Can generates shadows of himself and throw fire/shadow balls.jumps 10ft and strong enough to at least make a dent in metal and smart enough to hack a computer good with lock picking and his eye can charm and creep people in a way to his adavantage and hiding and sneaking around

Being able to sneak and pick locks is understandable in a medieval time period, but requires substantial technical expertise to do nowadays. I don't buy the hacking s*** because we're never told where he learns it. It comes out of nowhere. It's impossible to create shadow versions of yourself unless the demon takes full control and just so happens to have the ability to shape matter and form sentient life. Shadow balls do not exist, fireballs are completely unfounded in the sense that we don't know where he learned these magical hadoukens. They're clearly not from the demon's stock, if he hasn't been released. Jumping and strength are also a mystery.

Code:
Background/Biography: When he was Born a demon manifested inside of him.Over the years his parents stressed him do that do this and it triggered his demon when his was 6 it awakened he lost control and killed his family expect his Older brother who hid at the start he has no memory from this.He was horrified when he gained control he wanted to know who it was then the demon spoke inside inside his mind.Demon:"Muahahaha Like What I Did".Zane:"What Whose There".
Demon:"me you us whatever you want to call it".He Lived Alone as a theives from them since he had no family (note: he doesnt know his older brother is still alive) He stealed,He hid ,he was striving to live

Complete and utter... I...

No quotations, period.
    No reasons for demon picking him.
    No reason for him not to have been able to take control from the start. Laying dormant is not an excuse.
    No reason for his parents being strict.
    No reason for his older brother to live through a slaughter.
    No reason for him to become a thief. He would've likely died on the streets at six years old.
    Horrible ending and too short.

I can't think of anything else to say. There's literally so much wrong with it that I'm at a loss for words. It needs to be completely scrapped. None of it is worth saving. Nothing whatsoever.

Jin wrote:
I support the bombing of Israel.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:52 am

HK, you need to understand that constructive criticism is not something solely to hold your hand and tell you exactly what to do and nothing else. It is suppose to tell you what to focus on, yet continue to be diligent in improving in general. Taking suggestions for a potentially original part of your character is nothing but a cheap way out of work. You won't learn if you continue to take suggestions as blindly as you are now.

I appreciate it, Blue~ If he doesn't learn from that, he's not worth exerting any more effort over.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:57 am
 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next