The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 9:40 pm

[ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Why do you think..... 

@Tid

Hmm, everything else in that ridiculous book eh?

ridiculous book? I don't mind you not believing the spiritual side of the Bible stories, but all of the physical stuff in the Bible can be proven to have occurred. and a ton of them have been proven already, either through scientific/archaeological study or historical reference.

Let's take a few examples huh,

first, let's look at the flood.

Bible states that there was a flood that covered the entire earth. - Science has proven that at some point in time there was water at least 700 m above Mt. Everest, and fossilized sea shells and remains of sea creatures have been found on mountains and in highlands far from shore.

Bible states that Sodom and Gomorrah was destroyed by fire from God - Science has proven that there have been and still are traces of sulfur and evidence of burning in the area that the Bible states S&G would have been, even though there is no evidence of there ever being volcanic activity in any highland in the surrounding area.

Bible states that God struck Egypt with many punishments. - Science has proven that most of the judgements did occur. Egyptian historical literature details the rest of them.

Bible states that Moses parted the Red Sea and the Israelites walked through to the other side. - Atheist scholars state that the Israelites were not a sea-faring people and the time it would have taken to build boats and ferry all of the Israelites to the other side of the Sea would have been more than enough time for the army of Rameses II to overtake and capture them and bring them back to Egypt. Which obviously did not occur.

And so in denial of the God parting the Red Sea story, they deduce that there was a drought and the Israelites were able to cross the sea on dry land.

Bible states that Pharoah's army was drowned when the parted Red Sea collapsed on them - Science has proven that the remains of a large Egyptian army are at the bottom of different areas of the Red Sea. (Scholars do not think that the entire army was foolish enough to drown themselves)

Bible states that Joshua prayed that the sun would be held in the sky for a day and God answered his prayer - Science has proven that thousands of years ago, the Earth has held the same face toward the sun for 24 hours before continuing it's normal rotation during it's orbit.

It has been proven that the Israelites did in fact conquer every region that the Bible states that they conquered. At the same times that the Bible states that they conquered them.

Abraham, Job, Moses, Joshua, King David, Wise king Solomon, Elijah and Elisha, Queen Esther, Daniel, John the Baptist, Jesus, Peter, Paul and many others have been mentioned in various historical manuscripts, from many different cultures, and so have been proven to have lived.

In fact,

The History Books from many countries have proven that most of the characters mentioned in the Bible actually existed. and then the Jewish and Arab History books and Genealogies fill in the rest of the blanks.

Even if I wasn't a Christian I'd believe the spiritual stuff too just because the physical stuff that have been proven to have happened, have a better explanation as to why they happened than; just a bunch of freak accidents that randomly occurred when the Jews were around, which the Jews decided to blame God for making them occur on their behalf.

ridiculous book? I'd say that statement you made is more worthy of ridicule. :o

Black Knight F.E. (85%) an edit
Ganondorf T.P. (83%) new
Black Shadow F-Zero (80%) new
WarGreymon (78%) new
Nightmare S.C.II (60%) new

pm me if u already made these expansions. I'll stop

Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:11 pm
YIM

Waifu: I'm married
you run your arrogant mouth like that again and i'll tear into that post you just made and make you look like an idiot -- i don't think you understand what "scientific evidence" means

very few of those sentences had even a modicum of truth to them
i would like to see some citations or something because i can't seem to find any actual supporting evidence for most of what you said

keep in mind that while many of the things described in the bible can be supported with evidence that suggests they might be true, apart from the historical figures mentioned very little of what it says can be explicitly proven -- but certain religious figures will try to play it off as if "the possibility that it may have happened" is the same thing as "it happened"
again this is the same "reverse scientific method" that conspiracy theorists use -- take everything that you can construe as supporting your claim and then simply ignore any evidence or logic that goes against it

not only that but oftentimes theists will simply state that something they believe has "scientific evidence", but usually that evidence is nowhere to be found, and since few people will ever bother to actually look it up it gets circulated as true

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:31 pm
YIM WWW

MGN Username: Tid
Currently Playing: Deep™ The™ Game™
You know you cant just say s*** has scientific evidence behind it right? It has to actually like, exist. Maybe you could point to some of these brilliant scientific discoveries for us?
The only thing that has a bit of truth to it is the great flood, but you're making an awful lot of assumptions about how accurate the bible must be based on the sole fact that there was indeed a flood. The fact that the sea level was once immensely higher than it is right now, within unknown context (i.e. there couldve been a stage where the sea level was just constantly much higher, or there could have actually been an immense flood) does not in any way give us reason to believe the rest of the story. First of all, f*** every religion under the sun has a different story about the great flood, so if we invest our belief in the tale of Noah we may as well also do so with the millions of other Great Flood stories. Secondly, the Noah story specifically is wildly unbelievable in its own right. Have you ever considered the logistics of storing two of literally every single species on the planet? How does he keep the polar bears cooled? How does he keep the lions from eating the zebras? How on earth does he keep a hold of all the different breeds of elephants on the one goddamned boat? Not to mention repopulating. Incest tends to be a bigger issue for humans than other animals, but f***, that doesn't make it good. Oh, and s***, the two border collies I grabbed don't like each other. Guess that's that species extinct.

Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:50 pm

Tid wrote:
You know you cant just say s*** has scientific evidence behind it right? It has to actually like, exist. Maybe you could point to some of these brilliant scientific discoveries for us?
The only thing that has a bit of truth to it is the great flood, but you're making an awful lot of assumptions about how accurate the bible must be based on the sole fact that there was indeed a flood. The fact that the sea level was once immensely higher than it is right now, within unknown context (i.e. there couldve been a stage where the sea level was just constantly much higher, or there could have actually been an immense flood) does not in any way give us reason to believe the rest of the story. First of all, f*** every religion under the sun has a different story about the great flood, so if we invest our belief in the tale of Noah we may as well also do so with the millions of other Great Flood stories. Secondly, the Noah story specifically is wildly unbelievable in its own right. Have you ever considered the logistics of storing two of literally every single species on the planet? How does he keep the polar bears cooled? How does he keep the lions from eating the zebras? How on earth does he keep a hold of all the different breeds of elephants on the one goddamned boat? Not to mention repopulating. Incest tends to be a bigger issue for humans than other animals, but f***, that doesn't make it good. Oh, and s***, the two border collies I grabbed don't like each other. Guess that's that species extinct.

You're a f*****.

Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:30 pm

Just because something is unbelievable.... must mean it can't happen!

Add ALL the discussion.

Section for the dick suckers moderators to make them feel special talk about important issues on the forums. It's just a forum that is named "moderator section"

Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:02 pm

Tid wrote:
There's nothing wrong with holding yourself to a high standard in reference to how you treat yourself and others, but that doesn't in any way have to relate to being religious, nor is it the only aspect of any religion.

Er, if you mean that people without a faith can do good, I believe that. But if you're implying that the point of religion is something other than a way of life designed to better your character or health, you watch too many Christian broadcasts. There are wolves in sheep skin, people who act like part of the "flock" to get people to act a certain way by bending their faith to their whim. You can spot these people a mile away because they pretend to hold the key to heaven. Just like the priests during the crusades who thought they had the power to absolve sins...for a pretty penny.

Belthazar666 wrote:
You're a f#%$&.

Now he didn't deserve that...as much as some other people.

Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:19 pm

people get a pretty bad impression of christians from tv and the internet
obviously nobody is going to make one of the thousands of reasonable, intelligent pastors on youtube because they'd much rather just ridicule an entire religious group
but if you go to an actual church (i think your mileage may vary depending on what specific little splinter group you're dealing with) you'll find that most of them just want to praise their god and get on with life

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:19 pm
YIM WWW

kittenpuncher wrote:
you run your arrogant mouth like that again and i'll tear into that post you just made and make you look like an idiot -- i don't think you understand what "scientific evidence" means

i would like to see some citations or something because i can't seem to find any actual supporting evidence for most of what you said

keep in mind that while many of the things described in the bible can be supported with evidence that suggests they might be true, apart from the historical figures mentioned very little of what it says can be explicitly proven -- but certain religious figures will try to play it off as if "the possibility that it may have happened" is the same thing as "it happened"
again this is the same "reverse scientific method" that conspiracy theorists use -- take everything that you can construe as supporting your claim and then simply ignore any evidence or logic that goes against it

not only that but oftentimes theists will simply state that something they believe has "scientific evidence", but usually that evidence is nowhere to be found, and since few people will ever bother to actually look it up it gets circulated as true

What do you mean not even a modicum of truth! :huh:

Did you even look any of these up?

There was a program on History Channel where they were investigating the 10 plagues of Egypt.

and another one on the Hist. Channel where there were probing into Israel's conquests.

There was also program on Nat Geo Channel where they were exploring various bodies of water for treasure and the Red Sea was one of them, and they found the remains of the army and what was thought to be Pharoah's golden chariot (which was bought from them by the Uffizi Gallery in Italy and is still there).

There was an article in a National Geographic magazine where they seemed figured out at what time in history the story of Job took place, using historical manuscripts from an Inuit (Eskimo) community, (which are believed to have originated somewhere in Asia before migrating to the Americas) which mentioned a man named Job with whom they used to trade livestock, and detailed relationships with his children and the fact that raiders took away most of his cattle and all of his children perished.

I watched a tape about various stories that are more than likely to be true because of the archaeological evidence supporting them. and it detailed some of the stories from the Bible. Then I went and looked up Sodom and Gomorrah on Wiki and saw a lot of the same things that were stated on the tape.

Okay, so maybe these sources don't have to be infallable. but they seem pretty solid imo.

But anyway, go on thinking what you like. You obviously have it all figured out. :huh:

But don't go acting like I'm trying to spread some false information or something :eew:

I'll try to find the stuff that I read on the earth keeping a certain face toward the sun for 24 hours.

Black Knight F.E. (85%) an edit
Ganondorf T.P. (83%) new
Black Shadow F-Zero (80%) new
WarGreymon (78%) new
Nightmare S.C.II (60%) new

pm me if u already made these expansions. I'll stop

Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:27 pm
YIM

Raph_the_Great wrote:
kittenpuncher wrote:

What do you mean not even a modicum of truth! :huh:

Did you even look any of these up?

There was a program on History Channel where they were investigating the 10 plagues of Egypt.

and another one on the Hist. Channel where there were probing into Israel's conquests.

There was also program on Nat Geo Channel where they were exploring various bodies of water for treasure and the Red Sea was one of them, and they found the remains of the army and what was thought to be Pharoah's golden chariot (which was bought from them by the Uffizi Gallery in Italy and is still there).

There was an article in a National Geographic magazine where they seemed figured out at what time in history the story of Job took place, using historical manuscripts from an Inuit (Eskimo) community, (which are believed to have originated somewhere in Asia before migrating to the Americas) which mentioned a man named Job with whom they used to trade livestock, and detailed relationships with his children and the fact that raiders took away most of his cattle and all of his children perished.

I watched a tape about various stories that are more than likely to be true because of the archaeological evidence supporting them. and it detailed some of the stories from the Bible. Then I went and looked up Sodom and Gomorrah on Wiki and saw a lot of the same things that were stated on the tape.

Okay, so maybe these sources don't have to be infallable. but they seem pretty solid imo.

But anyway, go on thinking what you like. You obviously have it all figured out. :huh:

But don't go acting like I'm trying to spread some false information or something :eew:

I'll try to find the stuff that I read on the earth keeping a certain face toward the sun for 24 hours.

oh god this kid
someone else explain to him the difference between published scientific papers and christian-targeted tv shows, i've already tried to explain to him what source citation means but he just wouldn't have it
"did you even look any of these up"
you are the one who didn't look them up, that you had the audacity to say there were "scientific facts that explicitly proved all of these things happened" would of course lead me to search for them
while i think christianity has a much more sound basis than almost any other religion, it's pretty disappointing to see how easily some people accept what they're told

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:59 pm
YIM WWW

MGN Username: Tid
Currently Playing: Deep™ The™ Game™
belth f*** you

Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:16 am

Tid wrote:
belth f*** you

Whatever f**.

Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:23 am