The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 2:44 pm

[ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next
Falco 

MGN Username: WilE04
Currently Playing: A lot of games
Waifu: King Dedede
TheCodeSamurai wrote:
The thing is, all the directional specials got mega-nerfed because of the switch from analog to digital. In Melee Fox could do M2K angle crazy sweetspots to avoid onstage coverage, Mangles (going as high as you can and still grab ledge), directly at the opponent, onstage platforms, etc., etc., often from really any place close to the edge. In SSF2 you have eight options, which is really 3 when you consider that 5 of them usually kill you. Fox's recovery wasn't bad in Melee, but in this game he's much easier to edgeguard. Falco will be even more so.

Not trying to derail, but on a side note, that combo in your signature is awesome! Did you do that? :tails:

Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:07 am
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
No. It's what's called TAS, or tool-assisted superplay (really tool-assisted speedrun, although obviously that doesn't apply.) The people or person who made that use a program to play the game frame-by-frame and rewind if they ever mess up, allowing for complete control over the inputs. The inputs are then played back and recorded. There are "TASes" of SSF2, but they can only slow the game down to 1 FPS as opposed to determining when to go to the next frame, and they can't rewind frame-by-frame and rerecord if you mess up, so it's difficult to make really good TASes (check out Starkiller for cool stuff, though).

There are LOTS of TAS videos of Smash (especially Melee), but in my opinion this is the best one, and that combo above is probably my favorite combo in all of Smash. The rhythm of the final few hits builds anticipation, and then Jesus Christ the ending.

If you want to see other TASes or learn how to make your own, go to http://tasvideos.org.

The source of the video:
YouTube Video:

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Last edited by TheCodeSamurai on Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:28 pm

MGN Username: thebeep41
Currently Playing: Void Els, BnS, AK, DFO, GA2, and SSF2
so er

back to falco pls

How do you guys think the matchups would go for Falco vs. characters like BBM, Ichigo, etc.

"Because if you were truly tired of it, you would've done something about it."

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
:idea: :ichigo: :chibirobo: :captainfalcon: :link: :bomberman: :sheik: :idea:

Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:45 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
I think it all depends on whether Falco retains the combo game he's so known for, or whether he's more like Brawl and gets his strengths from an amazing neutral and micro-game. Melee-style Falco does very well against Falcon which I think is indicative of how it will play out against a lot of big heavy fast-fallers. Ichigo in particular seems hard: how do you get around lasers?

Brawl-style, it'll depend. Ichigo and Bomberman specifically might have a huge edge, because Ichigo can close space really quickly and Bomberman has amazing implicit pressure. Other slower chars might have trouble not getting locked down (Bowser or DK).

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:41 pm

Waifu: waifu's aren't real
Falco's a pelican not a falcon

Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:07 pm

Currently Playing: SSF2, SSB, SSBM
TheCodeSamurai wrote:
I think it all depends on whether Falco retains the combo game he's so known for, or whether he's more like Brawl and gets his strengths from an amazing neutral and micro-game. Melee-style Falco does very well against Falcon which I think is indicative of how it will play out against a lot of big heavy fast-fallers. Ichigo in particular seems hard: how do you get around lasers?

Brawl-style, it'll depend. Ichigo and Bomberman specifically might have a huge edge, because Ichigo can close space really quickly and Bomberman has amazing implicit pressure. Other slower chars might have trouble not getting locked down (Bowser or DK).

I would like to have him use Brawl down throw.

Actually what lasers would you guys prefer? Melee blaster or Brawl blaster, we don't discuss Smash 4 blaster.

Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:19 am

ssb4 blaster
Click to expand thumbnail

Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:33 am

MGN Username: ShadowAssasin2600
Pls no short hop double laser, I don't want to get timed out because I'm using a character with like no approach options.

Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:57 am

MGN Username: JalStar
Currently Playing: SSF2
As someone who's not that big of a fan of Falco, can someone explain how he's any different from Fox :fox: besides his down air?

Jamaica to be exact... :)
Check out my friend's shop here: https://www.redbubble.com/people/jo3HD/shop?asc=u

Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:18 pm
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
JalStar wrote:
As someone who's not that big of a fan of Falco, can someone explain how he's any different from Fox :fox: besides his down air?

Certainly! There are quite a number of differences that all together make Falco play completely differently. Firstly, Falco runs and walks slower, but has higher jumps. Falco has his fair from brawl onward, his uair doesn't kill like fox's does, bair and nair fulfill similar roles to their fox counterparts (but given Falco's lower speed nair doesn't get used that much for raw approaches). Falco has less kill power on upsmash, but more on fsmash. His upb also doesn't go nearly as far as fox's, and Falco's side-b meteors.

But the two big differences that complete Falco's different playstyle are his laser and shine. Laser can't be shot as fast, but it deals a small amount of knockback (unlike Fox). Finally, Falco's shine sends upward rather than horizontally, which leads into down air for combos.

Falco tends to control mid range space with short hop lasers, and mixes up his approaches from there. Once in, he relies on pillar combos rather than throw followups or the more horizontal combo game that Fox has (ironic considering Falco tends to kill off of the bottom or the sides instead of the top like Fox). In many ways, Falco's combo game is drastically better than Fox's, and his strong onstage presence has the drawback of him being very susceptible offstage.

Youtube: NinjaLobsterStudios
Stream: twitch.tv/ninjalobster

Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:17 pm

Starkiller wrote:
JalStar wrote:

Certainly! There are quite a number of differences that all together make Falco play completely differently. Firstly, Falco runs and walks slower, but has higher jumps. Falco has his fair from brawl onward, his uair doesn't kill like fox's does, bair and nair fulfill similar roles to their fox counterparts (but given Falco's lower speed nair doesn't get used that much for raw approaches). Falco has less kill power on upsmash, but more on fsmash. His upb also doesn't go nearly as far as fox's, and Falco's side-b meteors.

But the two big differences that complete Falco's different playstyle are his laser and shine. Laser can't be shot as fast, but it deals a small amount of knockback (unlike Fox). Finally, Falco's shine sends upward rather than horizontally, which leads into down air for combos.

Falco tends to control mid range space with short hop lasers, and mixes up his approaches from there. Once in, he relies on pillar combos rather than throw followups or the more horizontal combo game that Fox has (ironic considering Falco tends to kill off of the bottom or the sides instead of the top like Fox). In many ways, Falco's combo game is drastically better than Fox's, and his strong onstage presence has the drawback of him being very susceptible offstage.

And that :fox: is low tier tr4sh

Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:15 pm

Currently Playing: DOTA 2, League of Legends, Warframe
Waifu: ZSS
Don't care how trash Falco will be, dropping Fox for Falco. Always preferred him.
Also, I was reallly scared that he was gonna get his Smash 4 shine but thankfully that didn't happen (I think?).
Also good that Falco looks pretty top tier.

Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:10 pm

MGN Username: thebeep41
Currently Playing: Void Els, BnS, AK, DFO, GA2, and SSF2
ZekE^ wrote:
Don't care how trash Falco will be, dropping Fox for Falco. Always preferred him.
Also, I was reallly scared that he was gonna get his Smash 4 shine but thankfully that didn't happen (I think?).
Also good that Falco looks pretty top tier.

He's likely not going to be top tier tbh.
His dash speed and his recovery being even worse than in Melee (which went longer and had 360 degree precision), his neutral will rely a little more in his lasers, I bet. Falco's recovery in Melee had many options, and here we have everything but a better-aimed Firebird.

We're taking glass cannon to paper gun imo

He's still going to be at least high-mid to me. His aerials seem legit, and his SH laser looks even more gay than in Melee

Now, if we had 360 degree movement with the controllers...
eyyy that's pretty good
what about walljumping tho :chibirobo:

"Because if you were truly tired of it, you would've done something about it."

:idea: :ichigo: :chibirobo: :captainfalcon: :link: :bomberman: :sheik: :idea:

Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:40 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Jammy
anyone else think shine is gonna be s*** for combos
you can't really followup if they DI away cause you can't WD out of shine
so you can only really combo off it if they DI poorly

unless they make it like fox's uthrow where you can't DI it (NotLikeThis)

Youtube         Twitch

<insert giant anime gif here>

Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:00 pm

I was REALLY hoping for his Brawl/Smash 4 Reflector... :( :( :(

Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:19 pm
 [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next