The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 7:40 am

[ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Smash Flash Back Room 0.9b Tier List 

I'm surprised naruto isn't in the top 3 I met like 3 or 4 shadow clone spammers that kicked my a** left and right.

Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:15 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
Naruto is difficult to deal with if you don't know the MU. If you have any moves that outprioritize clones, use those to approach. Otherwise, you have to evade his shadow clones with movement, which can be tricky but is doable. Shield side-special, run under down-special then shield Naruto's landing option, just stay out of the way of grounded down-special, and don't let him charge Rasengan.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:56 pm

I don't know. I feel like Link should be lower. The guy just feels like the lag incarnate and everything he does seems so predictable. Not only that, but I've yet to come across a Link that doesn't just abuse projectiles. Perhaps if I hooked up with a good Link player instead of doing randoms online I might see his true potential, but for now... I suppose it's Link's raw power that grants him this spot on the tier list.

Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:29 am

Currently Playing: SSF2, SSB, SSBM
UnbalancedTruth wrote:
I don't know. I feel like Link should be lower. The guy just feels like the lag incarnate and everything he does seems so predictable. Not only that, but I've yet to come across a Link that doesn't just abuse projectiles. Perhaps if I hooked up with a good Link player instead of doing randoms online I might see his true potential, but for now... I suppose it's Link's raw power that grants him this spot on the tier list.

Ummm That's what Link is about, zoning and gaining stage control. He can't just be all about combos and what not. He is that high for a reason. Also lag incarnate is not a good reason.

Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:38 am

ZERO_OR wrote:
UnbalancedTruth wrote:

Ummm That's what Link is about, zoning and gaining stage control. He can't just be all about combos and what not. He is that high for a reason. Also lag incarnate is not a good reason.

But all of his projectiles come out extremely slow. I put almost zero effort into perfect shielding most of what he does. The only real thing that annoys me is how his boomerang can sometimes carry you off the stage. And the only time I really see Link having stage control is on a completely flat stage or on Smashville. I also never said he had to be combo heavy. I just said that everything he does seems extremely slow and predictable. And what do you mean lag incarnate isn't a good reason? Just saying it isn't doesn't really do much for me. Please enlighten me.

Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:53 pm
BR Member

Link does have fast moves: jab, nair, bair, utilt, usmash, and Bomb throwing. He also has really good projectiles: arrows are hard to powershield, do plenty of knockback, travel far, and send at a good gimping angle, Bombs are fast and do lots of damage, Bomb Arrows combine the two and deliver a wallop that's hard to shield, and Boomerang gives pressure both coming towards you and coming back and gives Link some resistance from combos. Link also has really good punishes when he gets a good hit: dair can tech-chase well and is one of the best finishers in the game, uair has a great hitbox and kills, fair kills and can be comboed into, dtilt can spike a lot of recoveries for quick kills, fsmash can kill from Boomerang, dsmash is pretty fast on the front hitbox and can be used to tech-chase, and Bombs will kill fairly well in the right position.

Overall, I think Link has serious problems with a few fast characters (Fox in particular) who can take advantage of how easily he can be comboed, but I think Link does really well against characters that have trouble getting in, because the combination of disjointed sword moves and projectiles can be really tough.

For Doom:
For Kicks:

Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:15 pm

UnbalancedTruth wrote:
ZERO_OR wrote:
UnbalancedTruth wrote:

But all of his projectiles come out extremely slow. I put almost zero effort into perfect shielding most of what he does. The only real thing that annoys me is how his boomerang can sometimes carry you off the stage. And the only time I really see Link having stage control is on a completely flat stage or on Smashville. I also never said he had to be combo heavy. I just said that everything he does seems extremely slow and predictable. And what do you mean lag incarnate isn't a good reason? Just saying it isn't doesn't really do much for me. Please enlighten me.

Link has always been a slow character, but that doesn't matter sometimes.

Well saying lag incarnate doesn't really say anything. Are you referring to him lagging online?

Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:59 pm

ZERO_OR wrote:
UnbalancedTruth wrote:
ZERO_OR wrote:
UnbalancedTruth wrote:

Link has always been a slow character, but that doesn't matter sometimes.

Well saying lag incarnate doesn't really say anything. Are you referring to him lagging online?

I'm referring to how slow he is offline.

Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:12 pm

So how does everyone feel about :metaknight: vs. :zerosuitsamus:? Is there just a slight difference between the two? Because my MK is having a pretty difficult time against her. Mainly in regards to edge guarding as well as the fact that ZSS just seems to out range him.

Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:17 pm
BR Member

MK's initial dash allows him to get in against ZSS, but I still think it's in her favor.

For Doom:
For Kicks:

Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:30 pm

TheCodeSamurai wrote:
MK's initial dash allows him to get in against ZSS, but I still think it's in her favor.

So how does that work in regards to the tier list? Does MK just have a couple more favorable match-ups than ZSS? And do you see ZSS taking the number one spot before beta comes out? Or is the difference just that minimal that it doesn't matter?

Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:48 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Savvy, eh?
Currently Playing: Savvy's Art Academy
I could see Zero Suit Samus taking the number one spot eventually, in a future in which she is abused to her full potential.

Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:43 pm

0_ZeroSuitUser_0 wrote:
TheCodeSamurai wrote:

So how does that work in regards to the tier list? Does MK just have a couple more favorable match-ups than ZSS? And do you see ZSS taking the number one spot before beta comes out? Or is the difference just that minimal that it doesn't matter?

This could be the case for instance Fox and Falco in Melee are 1st and 2nd respectively. However, Fox appears to have more favorable MU's with the top and high tier characters while Falco appears to have more even MUs when compared to Fox so that's why people consider Fox better than Falco even though the MU between them is considered even.

Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:17 pm
BR Member

A tier list measures competitive viability. This is not average MU spread. For example, a character that beats the top tiers but loses to the low tiers is more viable than a character that beats the low-tiers but loses to the top-tiers. MK is considered the best as of right now because he has great viability: ZSS is IMO his only losing matchup, and he goes even with many other characters, and solidly beats a few too. ZSS has overall worse viability in my opinion by a hair: I think she loses to Fox, does less well against the low tiers (which matters a lot in a game where every character is viable, unlike Melee where Pichu doesn't impact the meta at all), and overall a ZSS player has to work slightly harder to win a tournament, all other things being equal. I stress that the difference is negligible, but still there.

Viability also takes into account consistency and execution. Falcon, for example, is a very inconsistent character: get the right reads and land the right stuff, and Falcon can make any matchup look good, but if you can't get crucial neutral openings and can't capitalize off of punishes you can do really poorly. This makes Falcon inherently less viable than Sheik or MK all else being equal, who are extremely consistent and easy to use. Saying that the Sheik-Falcon MU is in Sheik's favor doesn't tell the whole story, because Sheik will play roughly the same (obviously players play differently from game to game, but not by a ton in Sheik's case), while Falcon might wreck Sheik one game and get wrecked the next. Overall, it's easier to win a tournament with a character that doesn't require reads or other inconsistent parts of Smash (difficult techniques as well, like tech-chasing into Rest or multishining) than one that does, and the tier list takes this into account as well.

For Doom:
For Kicks:

Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:25 pm

MGN Username: Shine!
Currently Playing: Minecraft Bedrock & Roblox
Waifu: All guys from Free!
TheCodeSamurai wrote:
A tier list measures competitive viability. This is not average MU spread. For example, a character that beats the top tiers but loses to the low tiers is more viable than a character that beats the low-tiers but loses to the top-tiers. MK is considered the best as of right now because he has great viability: ZSS is IMO his only losing matchup, and he goes even with many other characters, and solidly beats a few too. ZSS has overall worse viability in my opinion by a hair: I think she loses to Fox, does less well against the low tiers (which matters a lot in a game where every character is viable, unlike Melee where Pichu doesn't impact the meta at all), and overall a ZSS player has to work slightly harder to win a tournament, all other things being equal. I stress that the difference is negligible, but still there.

Viability also takes into account consistency and execution. Falcon, for example, is a very inconsistent character: get the right reads and land the right stuff, and Falcon can make any matchup look good, but if you can't get crucial neutral openings and can't capitalize off of punishes you can do really poorly. This makes Falcon inherently less viable than Sheik or MK all else being equal, who are extremely consistent and easy to use. Saying that the Sheik-Falcon MU is in Sheik's favor doesn't tell the whole story, because Sheik will play roughly the same (obviously players play differently from game to game, but not by a ton in Sheik's case), while Falcon might wreck Sheik one game and get wrecked the next. Overall, it's easier to win a tournament with a character that doesn't require reads or other inconsistent parts of Smash (difficult techniques as well, like tech-chasing into Rest or multishining) than one that does, and the tier list takes this into account as well.

I'm not trying to start a discussion but I'm just pointing this out TCS.

Isn't Zelda vs MK like 70-30 in Zelda's favor.
Supported by the countless 3-4 stock matches against your MK?

Just wanted to point that out since you said ZSS was his only losing matchup.

Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:13 pm
YIM
 [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next