The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 4:58 am

[ 5 posts ] 
Corvid's Application 

MGN Username: Corvid_Crow
Currently Playing: With nice hens out there...
Name (aka Handle):

Corvid

How old are you?:

Which characters do you play in SSF2? Why do you play these characters? (Note: do not list characters that are not currently in the game):

Black Mage, Samus, Lloyd and Zelda

Black Mage because I always loved zoning based characters and Final Fantasy,
Samus because she was an awesome character to me and I loved her moveset,
Lloyd because he always felt good to play and satisfying to win with,
Zelda mainly for Matchups that i may fall flat on.

How much experience do you have with official Smash titles? (SSB64, Melee, Brawl. Include in this answer which characters you play/played.):

I professionally play Smash 4, as well as Melee. I main Charizard, Mii Brawler and Corrin in the former, and Samus and Sheik in the latter.

Have you ever attended any Smash tournaments? If so, give some details about the tournament (number of participants, which games, etc). How well did you place?

I attend local Smash 4 tournaments in my state, and place relatively above average. My highest placing being 17th at a 100 man tourney.

When did you start playing SSF2?

Late 2014 was when I first played the game, and I entered the competitive scene in early 2015.

What is your favorite stage in SSF2? Explain.

I adore Hueco Mundo, mainly due to its atmosphere and calming but intense music. My only real problem is with the slanted hill on the left side, which could have been designed better.

Who, in your opinion, should be placed first on the SSF2 tier list? Under competitive settings why would this character perform on a higher level than all others?

In my opinion, Zelda is the best character in the game, due to her great neutral, outstanding punish and edgeguard game, as well as her ability to perform amazingly well against every other character in the game.

Who, in your opinion, should be placed last on the SSF2 tier list? Under competitive settings why would this character perform on a lower level than all others?

Wario is the worst character in the game to me, with a horrible neutral, pathetic kill options as well as little to no answers against a majority of the cast.

If you could make only one change to SSF2 as it currently is, what would it be and why?

I would change the hitstun values to be a little stronger overall

What is your view on items in competitive play?

Items should not be allowed at all, in any way, shape or form, unless they come in the character's moveset.

Do you have or can you download Skype? You don't need a mic or webcam.

I have Skype already.

Why do you want to join the Smash Flash Back Room? What will you contribute? Why are you an exceptional applicant? Be as detailed as possible.

I'd want to be able to give insight on the game, based on my experience and knowledge in the game.

Additional information (Include in this section anything relevant to your application. This could include links to videos of yourself playing.)

I'm currently one of the most prominent players in the scene, arguably in the top 20 players of this game, as well as the current best Black Mage main, and a prominent Samus and Lloyd player.

:ichigo: :gameandwatch: :isaac: :bowser: :luigi: :lloyd: :chibirobo: :bomberman: :metaknight: :megaman: :donkeykong: :sonic: :samus: Image Image

Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:22 am
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
For all questions, use the official BR stagelist for online play.

1. You're playing a tournament, and your BM is very on point so you aren't using anyone else. You come up against a Marth in tournament.
a. Assuming you strike first and there is a 1-2-1 striking system, how do you think striking will go? Why would each player do what they do?
b. Analyze the BM-Marth matchup in detail (neutral game, punish game, offstage game, whatever else). Finish with a matchup ratio (60-40 would be unambiguous but small advantage to BM, 30-70 would be very large advantage to Marth)
c. Your opponent lost the first game and is thinking of switching to Samus. Would this be a good idea, from a matchup perspective?

2. I propose the following stagelist while we're deliberating on an update to the current BR stagelist for offline play.

Neutral:
Battlefield
Castle Siege
Final Destination/Nintendo 3DS
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium 3

Counterpick:
Yoshi's Story
Tower of Salvation
Dreamland
Dracula's Castle

a. I'm guessing you support the removal of Sky Sanctuary Zone from this list. Why?
b. Is this list better than the official offline BR one? Why?

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:12 pm

TheCodeSamurai wrote:
For all questions, use the official BR stagelist for online play.

1. You're playing a tournament, and your BM is very on point so you aren't using anyone else. You come up against a Marth in tournament.
a. Assuming you strike first and there is a 1-2-1 striking system, how do you think striking will go? Why would each player do what they do?

I would first ban Yoshi's Story. Due to the cramped nature of the stage, Black Mage will die earlier, his on stage game is hampered by the small stage, and overall I believe it to be Black Mage's worst stage in general.

I assume Marth would then ban Dream Land, due to its large stage and blast zone, which allows Black Mage to live longer as well as promote more of the character's long range zoning, effectively giving Black Mage a stronger neutral. He would also ban Nintendo 3DS. While the stage is small, the lack of platforms can allow Black Mage to effectively set up his defensive wall. The stage's blast zones are also much larger than Yoshi's, giving Black Mage a bigger advantage offstage while either edgeguarding or recovering.

This leaves me with the choice between Battlefield and Smashville. Battlefield's platforms allow Marth to breach Black Mage's zoning game much more easier than Smashville's lone platform can offer. Battlefield, due to the shape of the platforms, allows Marth to catch Black Mage's landings a lot easier as well, thanks to his long reaching sword and Black Mage's average air speed, while the Smashville platform allows Black Mage to effectively retreat from a situation at will, giving him more of a stage presence. Therefore, I would decide to ban Battlefield, leaving us to go to Smashville for Game 1 of the set.

b. Analyze the BM-Marth matchup in detail (neutral game, punish game, offstage game, whatever else). Finish with a matchup ratio (60-40 would be unambiguous but small advantage to BM, 30-70 would be very large advantage to Marth)

I honestly find Marth to be Black Mage's toughest matchup, mainly due to Marth's ability to safely pressure Black Mage with his sword. Black Mage will want to try and catch a miss-spaced aerial, or an unsafe approach from Marth while using his best spacing tools (Meteor, Ftilt, Uair) to pressure Marth to approach, in order to get a grab and rack up damage. Marth, due to his incredibly safe poking tools, can find safe and effective ways to break this defensive wall, with his long ranged aerials.

Black Mage can punish Marth well, with his weight and height being great for him to land both combos and juggles. However, Black Mage has to be weary while comboing Marth, due to his quick aerials which can easily lead into a punish. Marth, once he opens Black Mage up, can rack up damage quickly with his aerials, and force Black Mage into a disadvantageous state, letting him possibly take more damage. Marth's tipper moves can easily take an early stock, but if Black Mage can avoid them, he can live to extraordinary percents. Marth can also do the same in return, if he avoids Black Mage's kill moves (Bthrow, Bair, Usmash) and edgeguards.

Black Mage thrives off of edgeguards, and with moves like Meteor, Dair and Fsmash, he can take Marth stocks at extremely early percents. Marth has to resort to making a mix up to avoid Black Mage's guard. Marth however, can edgeguard Black Mage rather well. He can poke through aerial Meteor 1 with his own aerials, and edgeguard Black Mage hard, regardless if he goes for a tipper Bair or Dair while Black Mage is warping, or useing a move such as Fsmash to catch him after Warp. While Marth has to work harder for his edgeguards, Black Mage does not have the mix up game that Marth has on the opposite end.

Overall, I believe that Marth can capitalize on Black Mage's mistakes harder than Black Mage can to him, as well as having an easier time in disadvantage and in neutral. I believe the Matchup to be 65-35 in Marth's Favor.

c. Your opponent lost the first game and is thinking of switching to Samus. Would this be a good idea, from a matchup perspective?

In my opinion, no, due to my belief that Samus loses to Black Mage on a score of 60-40.
Black Mage can play around Samus much better and easier than against Marth.

2. I propose the following stagelist while we're deliberating on an update to the current BR stagelist for offline play.

Neutral:
Battlefield
Castle Siege
Final Destination/Nintendo 3DS
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium 3

Counterpick:
Yoshi's Story
Tower of Salvation
Dreamland
Dracula's Castle

a. I'm guessing you support the removal of Sky Sanctuary Zone from this list. Why?

I honestly find Sky Sanctuary Zone as an extreme counterpick stage, considerable to the likes of Mute City and Delfino Plaza from Melee and Smash 4 respectively. The stage has a smaller than average ceiling, and with a stage list already featuring plenty of low ceiling stages, (Pokemon Stadium 3, Yoshi's Story, Mirror Chamber) having a fourth stage with similar blast zones seems too much for an overall stage list. I find the extremely small offstage area to be too much of an issue for characters with poor options offstage, regardless if they have a great recovery or not. The uneven platform at the bottom of the stage is also an issue, hampering characters with projectiles while travelling up it, while making those same projectiles even stronger while travelling down.

Overall, I find the main reason for the banning of this stage to be its overall campy and extremely defensive nature, and its ability to make some matchups extremely lopsided, especially towards top and high tier characters. Sitting underneath the platform while using a move that forces approaches (Lloyd's Grave Blade, Donkey Kong's Giant Punch, Zelda's Din's Fire, etc) can result in opponents having no choice but to approach. Due to their position under the platform, and the risk of challenging strong anti air combo starters (Lloyd's, Donkey Kong's and Marth's Utilts, for example), characters such as Sora, Sheik, Captain Falcon and Tails are forced to approach in a linear and usually unsafe way. This extremely strong camping spot, strengthened by just how long the top platforms are, as well as the stage's small blast zones, can make neutral a nightmare for characters who dont possess quick anti camping moves (Fox's Lasers and Chibi-Robo's Chibi-Blaster are good examples). The stage honestly just sways too many matchups for characters that already do extremely well in normal situations.

b. Is this list better than the official offline BR one? Why?

I find the position of Castle Siege over Yoshi's Story as a neutral stage to be questionable, as I would of personally removed it for Dream Land The removal of Sky Sanctuary Zone and Mirror Chamber allows some low tier characters to compete better. I feel that the position of two large stages (Dream Land and Dracula's Castle) as both counterpicks to be questionable, especially without more stages to make it not as big of a problem. I overall believe that it is slightly better, but a knowledge of how many stage bans one gets before a counterpick on both lists might sway my position.

Thank you for reading and acknowledging my application.

:ichigo: :gameandwatch: :isaac: :bowser: :luigi: :lloyd: :chibirobo: :bomberman: :metaknight: :megaman: :donkeykong: :sonic: :samus: Image Image

Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:45 am
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
This is a bit more informal of a followup, but I'm interested in hearing you elaborate more on this. Opinions on this are pretty divided, so I'm just interested in what arguments you have.

3. Is part of the role of a stagelist to balance the game (i.e., keeping stages that top-tiers struggle on, removing stages that top-tiers are extremely good on)? For example, in the history of the Brawl metagame some stages were banned (Rainbow Cruise) for not being amazing stages to fight on perhaps, but more importantly because Meta Knight was extremely good on those stages and the main concern of the Backroom at that point in time was preventing MK from becoming better than he already was. Similar examples in other games abound. Do you agree with this mindset? Why?

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:17 pm

TheCodeSamurai wrote:
This is a bit more informal of a followup, but I'm interested in hearing you elaborate more on this. Opinions on this are pretty divided, so I'm just interested in what arguments you have.

3. Is part of the role of a stagelist to balance the game (i.e., keeping stages that top-tiers struggle on, removing stages that top-tiers are extremely good on)? For example, in the history of the Brawl metagame some stages were banned (Rainbow Cruise) for not being amazing stages to fight on perhaps, but more importantly because Meta Knight was extremely good on those stages and the main concern of the Backroom at that point in time was preventing MK from becoming better than he already was. Similar examples in other games abound. Do you agree with this mindset? Why?

I believe that a part of the stage list is to ensure that character matchups overall are not massively swayed by the stage list. It's completely fine for a character to have one or two poor stages (Melee Falcon on Fountain of Dreams is a good example) as it allows counterplay to some characters. Meta Knight in Brawl had many amazing stages, and since so many gave him a ridiculous advantage while playing on them (The aforementioned Rainbow Cruise, as well as Delfino Plaza and Brinstar). With the amount of stages that gave him an overwhelming advantage, there had to be some way to restrict just how much of an advantage he can have. The SSF2 community has used this arguement in some ways (most prominently in the eventual phasing out of WarioWare Inc. as a legal counterpick), so overall i find it a postive thing for the metagame and the community to ban stages for the sake of a more balanced competitive metagame.

Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:48 am
 [ 5 posts ]