The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 10:09 pm

Forum rules

DO NOT POST SSF2 OR GAME IDEAS/QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM!

For SSF2 Discussion, please go here: http://forums.mcleodgaming.com/viewforum.php?f=4

[ 15 posts ] 
Allow regular video game talk in the VG section 
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: Ninja Gaiden Black, Battle Chasers: Nightwar, Titanfall 2 MP
Waifu: Makoto Nijima
Or at least make a subforum for it.

A big reason why this needs to be done.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:36 pm
Legendary Ghost

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XI, Left 4 Dead 2
I... Why wouldn't that be in the VG section?

I can see no valid reason not to put it there.

"Jesus promised the end of all wicked people. Odin promised the end of all ice giants. I don't see many ice giants around."

Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:43 pm
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: Ninja Gaiden Black, Battle Chasers: Nightwar, Titanfall 2 MP
Waifu: Makoto Nijima
Hakker wrote:
I... Why wouldn't that be in the VG section?

I can see no valid reason not to put it there.

viewtopic.php?p=1157233#p1157233

Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:44 pm
Legendary Ghost

I'm gonna need a minute for this one...

"Jesus promised the end of all wicked people. Odin promised the end of all ice giants. I don't see many ice giants around."

Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:53 pm
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Undertale
I wouldn't mind a sub forum in video gaming for this kind of stuff, I just don't want them all littered together in one forum. While we're at it maybe we should have another sub forum in video gaming for PC games as well.

Video Games
-> PC Gaming
-> General Discussion

GD being where all of those question and suggestion topics go. Might be nice.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:36 pm
Legendary Ghost

Ramsey wrote:
I wouldn't mind a sub forum in video gaming for this kind of stuff, I just don't want them all littered together in one forum. While we're at it maybe we should have another sub forum in video gaming for PC games as well.

Video Games
-> PC Gaming
-> General Discussion

GD being where all of those question and suggestion topics go. Might be nice.
Who croaked and decided the video game section had to be your exact vision? Putting general discussion in it's own sub forum is a silly idea because all it does is complicate the section with no real benefit, same with PC gaming (+creating tons of duplicates for cross-platform releases). Besides, I even checked your prefixes, you HAVE a prefix for general discussion, it's [G]. I frankly don't see what the problem is, next to "I don't personally like the way it looks when there are actual general discussion topics about video games in the video game forum".

Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:44 pm
Site Admin

Relax, big guy. I'm just throwing ideas around. I'm just saying that if we're thinking of the idea of a subforum for everything related to video games, but aren't video games, then I thought we might as well go all the way. Keep the main forum just for games, let the people who are solely or mostly interested in PC games but don't want to weave through the other games have a place they can access directly, and then allow a place for people to make whatever topic they want that is on the subject of video games.

And I really wouldn't call it.. "complicating" the section. If anything it gives the users a lot more freedom to make those types of topics without worrying about oversaturating the main section, like Kuro Kagami's multiple questions regarding hardware n stuff. And then there would be less prefixes. Idk. You're the boss.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:12 pm

Currently Playing: UNIST
Ramsey wrote:
If anything it gives the users a lot more freedom to make those types of topics without worrying about oversaturating the main section, like Kuro Kagami's multiple questions regarding hardware n stuff.

Oh, y
Albeit, it would help quite a bit, especially asking about things like how Gamestop's policies work and all of that fun stuff.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:42 pm
YIM

Ramsey wrote:
Relax, big guy. I'm just throwing ideas around. I'm just saying that if we're thinking of the idea of a subforum for everything related to video games, but aren't video games, then I thought we might as well go all the way. Keep the main forum just for games, let the people who are solely or mostly interested in PC games but don't want to weave through the other games have a place they can access directly, and then allow a place for people to make whatever topic they want that is on the subject of video games.

And I really wouldn't call it.. "complicating" the section. If anything it gives the users a lot more freedom to make those types of topics without worrying about oversaturating the main section, like Kuro Kagami's multiple questions regarding hardware n stuff. And then there would be less prefixes. Idk. You're the boss.

a suggestion: stop thinking of solutions to problems that don’t exist

the video gaming section is not as hard to navigate as you think it is

there are tags, a search function and f*** EYES for anyone who wants to find a certain topic

none of these suggestions you’re giving are actually needed at all

Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:40 pm
Site Admin

It's just about optimizing really, not solving a problem. And I mean I personally just don't like the idea of oversaturating the section with the general threads, but It could just be me. I won't die either way, but I do think those sub forums would do more good than harm. It can live without them though, you're right.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:55 pm
Site Admin

Hakker wrote:
Besides, I even checked your prefixes, you HAVE a prefix for general discussion, it's [G]. I frankly don't see what the problem is, next to "I don't personally like the way it looks when there are actual general discussion topics about video games in the video game forum".

^This

Also, adding sub-sections to accommodate for situations like this just ends up with another trashed section a few months down the road. If these types of topics come up so often, why not just make a master topic for things like gaming streams? (In the case of the Apex Countdown, it should probably by stickied in the SSF2 section imo)

Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:25 pm
Legendary Ghost

Ramsey wrote:
It's just about optimizing really, not solving a problem. And I mean I personally just don't like the idea of oversaturating the section with the general threads, but It could just be me. I won't die either way, but I do think those sub forums would do more good than harm. It can live without them though, you're right.
How is splitting it up into sections optimizing it in any way, shape or form? Splitting up the section into different, not quite clear what goes where subsections, AND causing duplicate topics between the PC section and console section? If anything is going to cause oversaturation, it's gonna be that. It achieves NOTHING positive whatsoever, except for solving some non-existent saturation problem.

Pro tip : oversaturation doesn't mean different topics discussing completely different games, situations or consoles.

Also, what Cleod said.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:26 pm
Site Admin

Ohh okay. Sounds good to me. I was just spitballin .-.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:27 pm

Currently Playing: SC2, SSBB (4168-0287-1402)
rams' post was more about how it was fine that the guy posted the tournament thread in other than about not wanting video game tournament threads in the vg section

i dont think he ever meant that he would explicitly remove topics that were just general discussion from the vg forum if they ever appeared

Adopted by Shounic

Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:20 am
Site Admin

I think we're done here, regular VG talk shall be allowed as long as it has a general [G] tag. I also still recommend creating some stickies if there are any re-occurring trends

:lock:

Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:09 am
 [ 15 posts ]