The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 2:45 pm

[ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Ryu 

MGN Username: bagrielmarmanjo
Currently Playing: SSF2, M.U.G.E.N (rarely), GBA Kirby Games, SSBC, Deltarune
Waifu: i like bepis
Is the "facing the opponent" thing present in this Ryu? Because i can properly do the EX moves when i'm facing the opponent, and i only seem to be able to correctly execute them in stadium only facing one side. Maybe it's an oversight or i just don't know how Ryu plays (i mostly don't lmao).

out of ideas here '-'

Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:37 pm

MGN Username: VanillaKunikida
Currently Playing: SSBU, SSF2, SIFAS
Waifu: Hanamaru Kunikida
bagrielmarmanjo wrote:
Is the "facing the opponent" thing present in this Ryu? Because i can properly do the EX moves when i'm facing the opponent, and i only seem to be able to correctly execute them in stadium only facing one side. Maybe it's an oversight or i just don't know how Ryu plays (i mostly don't lmao).

nope.

also quick reminder that his input specials can't be used with the attack button like in the official games. :chibirobo:

Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:52 pm
YIM WWW

MGN Username: SonGoku9000
Currently Playing: SSF2
Waifu: Takahashi Saki
Vanilla wrote:
bagrielmarmanjo wrote:

nope.

also quick reminder that his input specials can't be used with the attack button like in the official games. :chibirobo:

Welp, they should add this feature in the future and also the combos like in Smash 4/ultimate Ryu

POWER!!!

Mains: :goku: :ichigo: :naruto: :luffy:
Secondaries: :gameandwatch: :sandbag: :pacman: :bowser:
For fun: :luigi: :sora: :pit:

Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:49 am

MGN Username: T-Permutation
Currently Playing: Parsec and sometimes Fightcade.
Well, at least this ryu is a good helper for the beginners who didn't play any fighting games whatsoever.

Good times at helping this great community
My discord: TheGodTierCeviche#0303

Also join Zimbax's discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/eevq7YJ

Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:51 pm

MGN Username: MegucoRepi
Dust_the_1000 wrote:
Well, at least this ryu is a good helper for the beginners who didn't play any fighting games whatsoever.

Actually I think it's the opposite, since being always facing the opponents is a change that smash specifically made to make his combos and imputs be easier to do, like in common fighting games.
But if you have experience at doing imputs and combos and played a lot of the usual fighting games like street fighter or played smash 4, there are no problems at doing those imputs, so I'm okay if they don't change it.

Pockets: :jigglypuff: :tails: :metaknight: :peach: :naruto: :sora: :kirby: :sheik: :sonic: :wario: :bowser: :ichigo: :mario: :fox: :falco: :bandanadee: :pacman: :luffy: :goku: :isaac: :lloyd: :pikachu: :pichu: :lucario:

Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:31 pm

MGN Username: Knuckles for SSF2
Currently Playing: Super Smash Flash 2
Ryu seems... eh.
He's just not that much fun in this game.
I think he's not that good, probs mid tier.
Him or Simon are the worst of the new characters.

Ultimate Secondaries: Toon Link, R.O.B. Richter, Roy, King K Rool, Lucas

Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:47 pm

Currently Playing: Melee, SSF2
Waifu: I'm not a weeb
Am I the only one having an extremely hard time inputting the sf side-b? I've slowed the game down to 1/3 speed and it still only works 1/4th of the time at best. The only reliable way I've found to do it is to time the inputs so they are buffered at the end of another move. Is there truly no reliable way to do it without doing another move before?

Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:20 pm

MGN Username: moGi
Currently Playing: MGR:R, GE3, etc MHXX
Waifu: Lancer Arthuria P.
ryu losing his mechanic of facing the opponent probably hurted him more than it should, inputting moves is kind of a chore here.
his normals are nice to use, but i feel like there is a lack of freedom regarding his combos.
also focus punch being overall worse compared to lucario's down-b, maybe make it like ultimate so it could at least give ryu some movement techs.

black keys will be removed in the future anyways

*sniff*

Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:07 am
BR Member

MGN Username: CSWooly
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, SSF2, SSB4, League of Legends.
Ryu does not feel like Ryu in this game.

His special moves are alright and cancelling barely exists in this game, and it’s unfortunate that there’s so much weird s*** with how he works as a character, but HOLY s*** he’s so fast and he builds so much damage with his combos and True Shoryuken kills so bloody early.

I think he’s got a lot of room to be optimised, but if he felt a little bit more like he does in Sm4sh and Ultimate, I think he’d be a lot less viable. He’s probably on par with Rayman in mid high tier, if a little worse. He could be a lot worse though, and we’ll have to see how far he’ll go.

Click to expand thumbnail

SSF2 Backroom Character Analyst and Labber

Mains: :lucario: :simon:

Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:15 am

MGN Username: CraftGMC
Waifu: Random No. Generator
So, while it seems you cannot quite "cancel" into special input moves, they still become buffered for as long as you keep holding B after doing the directional inputs, which may help with timing it outside of, say a charged Focus or a spot dodge/roll

Or, even better - out of his aerials
gifs i forgot to resize before uploading: show
(Buffered a true shoryu during his DAir)

As you can see with my air movement in the next 2 gifs, i'm buffering a Shakunetsu during the aerials and the move still comes out as intended

Also, his input moves seem to require much more precision than simply timing when on the first or last directions (except for Shakunetsu in which only the last input can "wait", holding on the first direction will make it think you're trying Tatsumaki Senpukyaku when doing the rest of the inputs)
more gifs but this time smaller: show
Image          Image

Image          Image

Perhaps this could help for people who are having trouble with his Input attacks.

~-~-~-~-~- WALL OF EDIT (Feb 24th 11:42 AM) -~-~-~-~-~
I think i might actually have Ryu as my secondary

his SideB (and the input equivalent) is too laggy when done on ground to true-combo into Shoryuken, but if you do it mid-air, it has much less endlag (assuming you don't land during the move) and can reliably combo into Shoryuken, even at kill% with proper spacing (and as you can see from my previous things, you can buffer his input specials for as long as you hold down the B button during any move)
combo i guess: show

By the way, did you know you can tap left/right twice during his Focus Attack not only during the move to cancel it, but also after landing a hit? I certainly didn't, and you can cancel the "dash" into anything!
focus tech: show

This can allow you to land a true shoryu even with an UNCHARGED focus attack if you're absolutely frame perfect

If you're curious - yes, it works mid-air too, so go make some awesome combo clips with these Focus techs

Also, i noticed one thing - his SideB and its Input equivalent seems to have literally no difference in anything at all, is this an oversight or just a result of 1.2 coming out early?

Well, old friends, this is the day where everything will be archived for all to see and reminisce about.
This isn't a farewell, but rather a "See you later", as we move on to the next world

who'd've guessed my secondaries bit would have a new purpose!

Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:40 am

MGN Username: NASAPeepo
Currently Playing: It's my personal life.
Ryu can't face his opponent always so that hinders his skill by a bit but you can still get surprisingly good at this character. The guy above has already posted some techs, I already use those. His up-B sometimes doesn't go as high as it looks, it's janky. His n-special either pushes you back or forward so don't do it near the ledge. I died many times because of it. Unlike Ultimate, it has a lot of ending lag, especially in mid-air; you will mostly die.

If you use his up-B on his stage from the bottom platform while running, there will be no landing lag on the upper platform. It can be used to either confuse or combo into your opponents. Buff him.

Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:15 am

MGN Username: CraftGMC
Waifu: Random No. Generator
NASAPeepo wrote:
His up-B sometimes doesn't go as high as it looks, it's janky. His n-special either pushes you back or forward so don't do it near the ledge. I died many times because of it. Unlike Ultimate, it has a lot of ending lag, especially in mid-air; you will mostly die.

I thought i didn't need to point this out but Ryu's UpB distance is dependant on whether or not you hold down the B button and for how long do you hold it down.
Same applies for SideB's horizontal distance but only on ground.
edit: Oh and i forgot, his Hadoken (and its variants) also goes slower or faster depending on whether you tap or hold B.

NeutralB, as far as i've tested, does not affect his horizontal momentum (edit: But the input variants completely stop his movement unless buffered from a previous attack), still it does stop his falling speed for a moment, but still has enough lag that you really don't want to use this for recovery.

Trying to play Ryu, Lucario and Simon like it's Ultimate will quickly lead into failure in several things even if mostly small ones, since SSF2 works quite differently from Ultimate in many, many things.

~-~ FENCE OF EDIT (roughly 1 and a half hour later) ~-~
NASAPeepo wrote:
If you use his up-B on his stage from the bottom platform while running, there will be no landing lag on the upper platform. It can be used to either confuse or combo into your opponents.

Indeed, it seems to entirely skip the landing lag if you UpB into the ledge or platform with perfect spacing
: show
This requires a bit of precision with how long do you hold down on the B button to control the jump height, and different arenas have different platform heights, so you may want to have more practice with controlling Shoryuken's jump and getting the timing right.

For comparison, here is how slow this is with the landing lag

Thanks to what you've said in the quote, you've reminded me about testing if anything else happens with Ryu when platforms get involved into the mix.
As expected, sliding off the ledge/platform also makes Hadoken completely skip the endlag animation
: show
you MUST use a normal hadoken as the first thing, unless you're already performing a move and cancel it into an input hadoken to maintain your momentum (Input hadokens don't make you completely stop in the air if they are buffered)

Did you know you can input-move out of shield? Yep, you can.
It is important that you MUST hold down on the last directional input while shielding though, so the input attack comes out as intended
Input out of shield: show
You can either roll or spot dodge and quickly perform the directional inputs mid-animation and hold down on the last direction until you are ready to use it as an OoS option
Image          Image

Another way to perform this is to do the inputs first and then shield while still holding onto the final directional input (i cannot stress this enough)
Image          Image

Well, old friends, this is the day where everything will be archived for all to see and reminisce about.
This isn't a farewell, but rather a "See you later", as we move on to the next world

who'd've guessed my secondaries bit would have a new purpose!

Last edited by CraftGMC on Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:58 am
BR Member

MGN Username: CSWooly
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, SSF2, SSB4, League of Legends.
After analysing the data, I discovered Ryu's run speed is the same as Mario's and ZSS.

Why?

Click to expand thumbnail

SSF2 Backroom Character Analyst and Labber

Mains: :lucario: :simon:

Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:24 pm

MGN Username: Knuckles for SSF2
Currently Playing: Super Smash Flash 2
what.
Isn't Ryu supposed to be slow?
I mean, that definently makes him a better character, but why tho?

Ultimate Secondaries: Toon Link, R.O.B. Richter, Roy, King K Rool, Lucas

Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:27 pm

MGN Username: NASAPeepo
Currently Playing: It's my personal life.
CraftGMC wrote:
NASAPeepo wrote:
His up-B sometimes doesn't go as high as it looks, it's janky. His n-special either pushes you back or forward so don't do it near the ledge. I died many times because of it. Unlike Ultimate, it has a lot of ending lag, especially in mid-air; you will mostly die.

I thought i didn't need to point this out but Ryu's UpB distance is dependant on whether or not you hold down the B button and for how long do you hold it down.
Same applies for SideB's horizontal distance but only on ground.
edit: Oh and i forgot, his Hadoken (and its variants) also goes slower or faster depending on whether you tap or hold B.

I already knew that some moves changes properties based on how long you hold a button. Playing Street Fighter did make learning Ryu easier but never really noticed that UP-B also changes its vertical distance. Ryu is the only character with weak and strong tilts in SSF2 which is why he is fun, unlike Simon. All you need to do is spam to win.

Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:52 pm
 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next