The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 7:32 am

[ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
The Story of Your Mains 
BR Member

MGN Username: joey
Currently Playing: joey
Waifu: joey
RemPrower wrote:
It's truly a hard thing when you love something so much that you want to put all of your time into it, only to find that your time is being wasted.

Let me tell you something about me. Something some of you may have already figured on. I want you to know the severity of it. Some of you know that I have a profound and profuse love for foxes...you don't really know. No, you really don't know how much I love foxes. There's one fox in particular that never leaves my thoughts. That fox is Miles "Tails" Prower. I ceaselessly obsess over him and other foxes I keep close (I will not bring up the other two). There was a point in time where I was running out of things that others made for him that I could acquire, so I thought I'd make up my own stuff. Not there was anything else out there right? And then I found this...

When I first discovered Super Smash Flash 2, version 9a was brand new. I found Tails as a playable character and immediately fell in love. I could not stop playing him. I would fight the computer for hours each day because I could not get enough. At the time I didn't understand that I wasn't actually any good at this game. Eventually version 9b was released and online mode was open to the public. I still had a several years long habit of not being able to fight seriously out of fear of offending another player. Then I met DescendedSun. At that moment I changed in a heartbeat. I had to beat him. I was going to do whatever it took to win. I did win, but it was a sloppy fight and I didn't really have a coherent playstyle. DS was prolly just beaten by the sheer nonsense of what I was doing. (He would proceed to have a positive winning record against me in the future.) From that time forward I thought real hard about a lot of things. I loved foxes, I loved Tails, and I loved this game. I wanted to be the best Tails player this game would ever see.

I would log in to play any moment I was not at work. I would fight countless people. As I fought with him I felt like I was actually there. That I was the fox in that arena. I wanted to be someone that when I entered a room, they didn't see Tails Prower, they saw Remilia Prower. That when they saw me they would sit up and take me seriously because they knew that if they didn't they would not be able to overcome me. I can't say I've reached that point. But I keep trying. I try to make myself known. I try to get others to take me seriously. And thus I take myself seriously......too seriously.

This isn't a goal anymore. It's an obsession. I can't make it through my life without thinking about Tails or Remilia. I'm unable to concentrate at work. I'm easily irritated. I can't bring myself to remain calm. I can hardly eat and I can hardly sleep. I have to keep building her up. I have to make her better. I don't even see Tails anymore. When I pick my character, all I see is Remi. I jump from fight to fight looking for a challenge I record every fight I can to figure out what I did right and what needs to be changed. I'm always looking for newer, better competition. I want people to see me. I visit forums and stream sites everyday in hopes that I will have a chance to compete where others can see me.

Tournaments would show up and I would put everything I could on hold to attend if it was in reason (I will not call out of work to play this game). I've only had the chance to seriously participate in five SSF2 tournament. I've placed 2nd I four of them (the other one I tied for 5th). It was hard to bear losing being that close to the end, but I was content with being that close. With the arrival of the X tournament qualifier I said to myself "This is my chance to shine again". So I practiced endlessly against idle targets, computers, and players, in an attempt to truly prepare for it. I wasn't gonna be perfect, but I was gonna be ready for it.

The day of the tournament comes. The workday sucked and my co workers spent time complaining or spacing out. I tried to help all of them but I could not maintain the necessary efforts to make everything work the best they could. I wished Remi was there. But that was ok. Come 6pm est I would be ready to take my shot at the title. It's a silly title that most of the world cared nothing about. But to me it meant everything. I was gonna be ready for it. It was 20 minutes till 6pm. I turned my computer on and got everything ready. I went to the challenge website and witnessed a nightmare worse than death itself "Starting time 3pm est". I misread the tournament time.

I snapped for the 2nd time that day (which is actually still today). But I wasn't gonna yell and scream. I wasn't gonna break something. I was gonna get over it. It's just a game. Everything was gonna be fine. There's always next time..............No, there isn't a next time. I wasn't smart enough to prepare properly. I missed it.

I walked over to my Tails and other fox dolls, went to the corner of my room, curled up, and cried like a quiet child. "You stupid little fox. You should not have stayed at work overtime. You should not have stayed and had food there. They didn't need your help. Can't you do anything right?" I could not stop attacking myself. I still can't let go. These should be simple things. They should be fun. I should not be so upset over one missed little tournament. So what's the big deal?...It's that I cannot stop. I have to be there. I've found something that I love and can't let go of. I'm an addict and I cannot let it go.

This isn't me being salty. This is me bleeding. I'm not here for pity. Everything I do wrong is my own fault and my own problem. I wish Remi was here to hold me and tell me I was doing a good job; that I wasn't wasting my time; that I'm not crazy.

This is the story of my main and my sorrow. It is a pleasure, and it is a pain. Except for the time that I am gone to be a missionary (which will be in about a month) I wish I could let go. I wish I could calm down. Sometimes I even wish I never found this project, but I did. I will not allow myself to regret it. I will be here till this project ends.

I will never stop. I will never let go.

Wow. I... Have no comments for this. This made me think a lot about what I'm doing with my life and what else I could be doing that would actually benefit me in some way. I love the everlasting crap out of smash bros. and I love ssf2 just as much. But I've been putting this game in front of everything I do. Every chance I get, I wanna just log in to my MGN account and just play my life away. It's getting to the point that I'm thinking Bout just knocking an opponent offstage, or performing some cool flashy combo 24/7. This one game is effecting everything I do IRL and not in a good way. I too, want to become the very best, like no one ever was. But trying to accomplish that, I would have to throw everything away, and that is something I'm not going to do for some flash game. I have a life and my purpose is to make something out of myself before I die, not to spending countless hours playing against the same people over and over again, witnessing the same moves and tactics because honestly, that becomes bland overwhile. I think it's time for me to find a new hobby. Something that would stick with me until I eventually become a adult. I just... Won't spend as much time playing this game as much as I already do now. It's time for me to actually do something with my life.

Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:22 am
BR Member

Im pretty addicted to the game too but i got job corps coming up so yeah

Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:48 am

MGN Username: Rossuizan
So this is what the forum is like.....

Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:35 pm
BR Member

Obsessive? Yeah.

Obviously the devs are doing something right.

Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:44 pm
BR Member

I just came here to share my thoughts. That's the whole point of a forum right?

Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:20 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Doq
Currently Playing: one of thousands of variations of Solitaire
Waifu: Es
I have an urge to out-storytell Rem, but I'll refrain from doing so, at least for now.

Also you weren't crazy, Rem. It did say 6 EST until about two days before, when I corrected it due to my own error.

Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:44 pm
YIM WWW

MGN Username: rhythmcesar
Currently Playing: SSF2
Goku: He's Goku.

Megaman: He's Megaman.

Ness: There's no Lucas in this game so oh well.

Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:32 am

MGN Username: Lunary
Currently Playing: Super Smash Bros. Melee , League Of Legends , Drinking
Marth (not anymore though) : First character I played in SSF2. He's the one I'm the most confortable with because I mostly play Melee and unlike Fox Falcon and Falcon , he doesn't require much technical skills. *cries in a corner*

MK : Arsenec said that my MK was solid.

Lloyd : His playstyle fits me so well. Moreover , I'm a fan of the Tales Of Symphonia series.

Last edited by Lunary on Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:01 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: CSWooly
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, SSF2, SSB4, League of Legends.
Mario - I mained Doc in Melee. I thought why not?

Zelda/Sheik - Random in a game. Found out I was decent with her, so I picked her up.

Marth - I've played this guy in every Smash game I've played

Lloyd - I'm a big Tales of Symphonia fan, and he had chaingrabs. I use him less because of nerfed grab game

Ichigo - He's interesting. I thought I might try him out.

Ness - I wanted to learn how to play as a PK Kid, so I picked him up.

Black Mage - Because his moveset is hilariously diverse

Click to expand thumbnail

SSF2 Backroom Character Analyst and Labber

Mains: :lucario: :simon:

Last edited by TSF.Strife on Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:31 am

MGN Username: Huey
Currently Playing: Smash 4. Waiting for Beta. They better code in Bidou...
Rossuizan wrote:
So this is what the forum is like.....

Bro that made me laugh so hard

I mained BM 'cause I like wizards and when I used him his moveset was cool. But people ALWAYS complain about him so I picked up BBM instead for no reason other than he was uncommon. At first I hated him but saw the potential. Now I love him. :D The end.

Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:02 pm
BR Member

I've added Megaman and Chibi to my list of mains a while ago, but I never said why.
Megaman: I was tired of seeing online being overrun by bad Megamans (y'know the ones who spam ftilt, crash bomb, etc) and I even used Megaman in prepatched 9b. Then for some reason, i decided to go into training mode and see what combos Megaman has up his arsenal and I found a death combo in less than 5 minutes. Ever since then, I've been playing with the Blue Bomber.

Chibi: No one really uses this character, so I tried him in online once, and I feel in love ever since. Chibi is defiantly the most underrated character in the game.

And I'm dropping mario from main status, to pocket status.

Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:17 pm

MGN Username: Ganondoof
Currently Playing: Vanguard Princess, Upkmnfg, YGOPRO
I'm actually starting to main Samus. I figure since I'm a boring player already, this would be easy.

Turns out I've been having so much more fun that I had thought.

Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:18 pm

MGN Username: Hurricane
Ness - I played earthbound and then threw ssb64 since then it has been my main since then :)

Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:57 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: KarmaPilcrow
Currently Playing: the waiting game
Waifu: Furry trash.
Yoshi: Main in all games since I was four. I just adore them that much.

Goku: Fun fact: it was SSF2 that got me into DBZ, not the other way around. I just find him satisfying to play as. Even though it's unhealthy to rely on the feedback an attack gives, damn is it satisfying.

Wario: Long story short, I picked him up due to starting to play his games again. I forgot how unique he felt.

Sora: I'm terrible at comboing with any other character, so playing as him makes me feel not-entirely-worthless.

Mr. Game & Watch: Aside from liking the G&W series, he feels very safe in Brawl, 4, and PM, and it seems like he's based on his PM self. So he'll be comfortable to pick up.

Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:32 am

Currently Playing: All smash games, pokemon
in this game i main kirby link and spamus. kirby i've loved playing since 64. link i always thought was fun and it's nice that he's a viable character for once! and spamus is just so fun who can hate spamus :) considering i play less than a lot of top players and dont practice much i'm surprised i win as much as i do! : D. i'll be around for a while but sometimes you wont see me for several dayz.

Mains:ImageImage :fox: ? :zelda:?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWPfLs ... BiEiGXBaQg

Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:13 am
 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next