The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 7:51 pm

[ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
What I did wrong 

MGN Username: Bedoop
Currently Playing: Rayman Origins
Waifu: CLEOD-BOT
no copyright law in the universe is going to stop me :sandbag:

Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:21 am

MGN Username: [BANNED]
Currently Playing: SSF2TAS
Real talk: what you did is f*** up and is a fine example of people completely disregarding fair use because they're salty about something completely irrelevant. It was 40 seconds of footage to use in the background of a video. Tbh, it was a dick move and imo it's not justifiable

Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:52 am

Ravin_Raven wrote:
Yo mac, are you sure you're retired?
As infrequent as you are, you still appear from time to time, making us think that you still care about the SSF2 community enough to not be considered retired.

When I say retired, it means I'm not touching the game.

Never said anything of not being here.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:25 pm

Real talk: I've already expressed how using the Copyright Strike system to take the video down was not something to be celebrated. The system favours the individual who striked the video and it's not something I would want to happen to me either. Pewdiepie VS. Firewatch was (is?) a very clear example of an abuse of the copyright strike system from what the developers had initially stated.

How is it irrelevant? What could be more simple than not wanting someone to take your footage. Does it warrant using the Copyright Strike system? I would disagree. As of now, I do not mind the footage being in the video. But asking someone to not use your footage when it is clearly not needed is not something unreasonable or irrelevant by any means. I have no issues with people using my content like Bowler is doing NOW (that's the reason I made my post), but it's not something completely arcane or unreasonable to feel the way I did.

I'm not justifying putting the copyright strike on. I'm explaining the reasons as to HOW I justified putting the copyright strike on and how those reasons are not actually that unreasonable. The intentions of the action were not good, but the reasons I state are by no means "crazy". Please read more carefully.

I can go film people at a park. There would be cases where I need that specific park footage and cases where I do not. If I am recording someone, they tell me that they don't want to be recorded, and the video can work without their footage, then I do not see the problem with respecting their wishes. I feel similarly about this situation.

You're missing all of the nuance that defines the situation. I would hardly call the footage used in the video to be Fair Use. It's definitely considered to be Fair Use for very good reasons. The laws need to be as broad as possible in order to protect content creators from being exploited by bigger entities (movie companies / gaming companies who don't like what you said about their product for example). Fair Use is AWESOME and I would never, ever, ever want it go away.

However, I truly look at the video and see no clear value in having my footage be there. The video does not expand on the footage, offer criticism, or even acknowledge it. It's quite literally just video filler and I don't see it valuable to the video itself. I am not taking the video down, but I would not call it some paragon of the merits of Fair Use.

---

Looking back, I feel that the above statement could use some revision. It would imply that it is morally wrong to take something without someone's permission (legally of course). By that same token, it would state that you would be immoral, in say, for example, if I were to have a profile picture of Mario and Shigeru Miyamoto asked me to take it down. I personally would not agree to that. I don't feel its fair to advocate for some parts, but not others, so you can consider the above statement void.

Subscribe to my channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvRau009BhLEGvBRrMTGcLA. I like to upload tournament replays, highlight videos, and other SSF2 content

Last edited by AxeEnding999 on Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:28 pm

MGN Username: RavinRaven
Currently Playing: SSF2, The Game of Love
Waifu: Luna (Gwain Saga)
Ok dude, at this point, I think it's best if you just leave it alone. Don't respond to anymore posts made here. You're making yourself look worse.
We understand your case, and we'll make sure not to make the mistake you made, but what you say here is very damaging for yourself.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:39 pm

AxeEnding999 wrote:
Real talk: I've already expressed how using the Copyright Strike system to take the video down was not something to be celebrated. The system favours the individual who striked the video and it's not something I would want to happen to me either. Pewdiepie VS. Firewatch was (is?) a very clear example of an abuse of the copyright strike system from what the developers had initially stated.

How is it irrelevant? What could be more simple than not wanting someone to take your footage. Does it warrant using the Copyright Strike system? I would disagree. As of now, I do not mind the footage being in the video. But asking someone to not use your footage when it is clearly not needed is not something unreasonable or irrelevant by any means. I have no issues with people using my content like Bowler is doing NOW (that's the reason I made my post), but it's not something completely arcane or unreasonable to feel the way I did.

I'm not justifying putting the copyright strike on. I'm explaining the reasons as to HOW I justified putting the copyright strike on and how those reasons are not actually that unreasonable. The intentions of the action were not good, but the reasons I state are by no means "crazy". Please read more carefully.

I can go film people at a park. There would be cases where I need that specific park footage and cases where I do not. If I am recording someone, they tell me that they don't want to be recorded, and the video can work without their footage, then I do not see the problem with respecting their wishes. I feel similarly about this situation.

You're missing all of the nuance that defines the situation. I would hardly call the footage used in the video to be Fair Use. It's definitely considered to be Fair Use for very good reasons. The laws need to be as broad as possible in order to protect content creators from being exploited by bigger entities (movie companies / gaming companies who don't like what you said about their product for example). Fair Use is AWESOME and I would never, ever, ever want it go away.

However, I truly look at the video and see no clear value in having my footage be there. The video does not expand on the footage, offer criticism, or even acknowledge it. It's quite literally just video filler and I don't see it valuable to the video itself. I am not taking the video down, but I would not call it some paragon of the merits of Fair Use.

My n**** went through the paragraphs and s*** lmao.

If you say it's over, then it's over. Don't stay typing essays for some dumb s*** like this lol.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:41 pm

If you feel like Bowler used your content unfairly without appropriate consent, perhaps it'd be better to contact him directly rather than making an entire thread about it.

Would save everyone's time. Especially yours. Absolutely no need to even consider taking this to court.

Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:17 am

MGN Username: Skewy
Currently Playing: No lag
why bump -_-

Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:27 pm

MGN Username: KotalaGod
Currently Playing: idfk
Waifu: Camilla
This is old af. But I can't help but come in real quick and say that clearly nobody understood anything this person said, then tried calling him out on things he explained already multiple times. Honestly, it looks like people were trying to get at him with these responses. All I see is a man trying to defend himself.

Waifu ↓

Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:26 pm

MGN Username: [BANNED]
Currently Playing: SSF2TAS
Necro.
Axe, please lock this thread.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:38 pm

MGN Username: Randumbness132
Currently Playing: around doing nothing
Waifu: Yul. B. Suhray
Please do.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:37 pm