The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 7:41 am

[ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Matchups Discussion Thread. 
BR Member

MGN Username: TSF|Cookies
Currently Playing: PM, Melee, Ultimate, Hollow Knight
Your rage quit is no match for my victory.

Shoutouts to Harr for this sick player card!

Join Chibi Nation, the 20CR Discord for all aspiring Chibi-Robo mains!

Click to expand thumbnail

Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:09 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: CSWooly
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, SSF2, SSB4, League of Legends.
Skailler wrote:
Lloyd lost a lot of his grab range. Its pretty average now, nothing like Links grab.

Point taken, but he still has a decent grab range.

I'll weigh in:

Ichigo > DK:
Ichigo can Zero-Death chaingrab DK with his down throw. His Down Throw spikes and Ichigo's chainspike can end with a guaranteed kill of the edge of the stage. Also, Getsuga Tensho can play havoc with DK setting up a grab. Ichigo also has access to the most meteor smashes in the game. (I believe he has three).
This is a very favourable matchup for Ichigo.

SSF2 Backroom Character Analyst and Labber

Mains: :lucario: :simon:

Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:13 pm

MGN Username: Zalozis Zemsis
Currently Playing: Gundam Wing: Endless Dual | Melty Blood: Actress Again Current Code | Super Smash Bros. Brawl
DarkSwiftN wrote:
Ichigo can Zero-Death chaingrab DK with his down throw.
You can tech to escape that.

Luigi Movement, Cancel, Tech, etc.
YouTube Video:
SSF2 Google Drive
". . . Emphasis . . . of players helping one-another"

Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:43 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, SSF2, SSB4, League of Legends.
Zalozis wrote:
DarkSwiftN wrote:

Is it techable?
Oh.
Still, Ichigo can still tech chase or dash grab/dash-cancel grab to get the grab

Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:05 pm
BR Member

DarkSwiftN wrote:
Zalozis wrote:
DarkSwiftN wrote:

Is it techable?
Oh.
Still, Ichigo can still tech chase or dash grab/dash-cancel grab to get the grab

Waveland grab is best grab

Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:41 pm
BR Member

I honestly don't see waveland grab being practical.
The timing is very specific, with wavedash you could button input jump and shield at the same time.
Don't get me wrong, with the chainspike it would be useful, but I don't think it's practical

Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:43 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
This waveland is like Luigi's, though: you can SH, wait, and then fair into anything: it's not easy to defend against.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:22 pm
BR Member

OK, any other matchups to contribute or is this thread dead?

Anyway:
Mario > Ness:
Fireballs. Ness gets gimped by these fairly easily, he can use PSI Magnet to counter this, but the ending lag of this doesn't go well with his recovery. Also, Mario has a lot of gimping options, including a reflector to counter the side B.

Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:48 am
BR Member

MGN Username: joey
Currently Playing: joey
Waifu: joey
Chibi > Samus
Chibi can just literally pocket everything Samus throws out, and Chibi is able to out space Samus with his aerials as well.

Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:52 am

MGN Username: coollogic16
basically; At least half>Chibi. At least... chibi cant really do good against most of the others.

Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:20 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: joey
Currently Playing: joey
Waifu: joey
coollogic16 wrote:
basically; At least half>Chibi. At least... chibi cant really do good against most of the others.

I only meant samus....

Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:33 pm
SSF2 Developer

Who voted for Goku .-.

Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:03 am

MGN Username: AfroWarrior
Voted Sonic. Slowly realizing that the effort I put into winning is actually too much. Any sword user can wreck him. Any projectile user can wreck him. Lightweights fly too far to continue most combos. Heavyweights fall too quickly to continue most combos. He's only on fair game with about 30-40% of the cast, and I can't think of one MU where Sonic actually comes out on top, or if he does, it's only slightly. It's all about adaptability with him and using the speed to your advantage.

Or I'm just saying that to make myself look good.

I have ran over a thousand miles
Unknown to Community, nor known to the World
Have withstood pain to perfect my technique
Yet this speed will never be remembered
My whole life was Sonic the Hedgehog.

Mains: :sonic: :bomberman:

Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:13 pm

MGN Username: Zalozis Zemsis
Currently Playing: Gundam Wing: Endless Dual | Melty Blood: Actress Again Current Code | Super Smash Bros. Brawl
135 wrote:
Who voted for Goku .-.
How Goku even on this list? He's really good withouth even using Kaio-Ken. Ridiculous fast Neutral-air, a safe landing Dair, and wickedly quick platform mobility. Especially when combined with his float maneuvers.

Worst are definitely Kirby, Mega Man, Sonic. Ness is probably close. But I believe that's mostly because online nerfs him. He feels like he has a ton potential with DJC.

Luigi Movement, Cancel, Tech, etc.
YouTube Video:
SSF2 Google Drive
". . . Emphasis . . . of players helping one-another"

Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:34 pm

Currently Playing: Patty-cake
Zalozis wrote:
135 wrote:
Who voted for Goku .-.
How Goku even on this list? He's really good withouth even using Kaio-Ken. Ridiculous fast Neutral-air, a safe landing Dair, and wickedly quick platform mobility. Especially when combined with his float maneuvers.

Worst are definitely Kirby, Mega Man, Sonic. Ness is probably close. But I believe that's mostly because online nerfs him. He feels like he has a ton potential with DJC.

[TSON] wrote:
(keep in mind goku is my secondary lmao)

Phoenix Wright wrote:
He doesn't need to float to recover, he has both KK and Kamehameha to recover horizontally, so he can save his float for later.

You have to have horizontal momentum for these to work. The most efficient way is to do a dair first then do downb or nspec. If I use Kamehameha to recover and I get hit with a meteor smash, I die. Goku has pitiful upward recovery and the Kamehameha trail won't follow me. It has more than 3 seconds of endlag, so the push isn't worth it most of the time - especially against anyone who can hit you downward. That brings us to downB, which is relatively safe, but is only useful for recovery if you tap it rather than hold it. This can (and usually does) leave you wide open due to the startup and endlag of each burst.

Phoenix Wright wrote:
He has a lot of strong moves that he can use to put his opponents offstage, either killing them outright or setting up edgeguarding.

Speaking within reason, Goku has such terrible range and a projectile that is only useful for disruptions when fullhopped. Using a grounded sideb against anyone with a projectile will end up with Goku getting a face-full and probably being comboed out of the projectile. If he manages to get in, ftilt has too much startup to be useful unless you get a hard read, dtilt doesn't kill, his smashes are weaker than ftilt, and upB should only be used if you can't think of anything better to do in time. So, I would disagree with this. Especially since he can't combo into any of these moves.

Phoenix Wright wrote:
Most of the characters he would be incapable of edgeguarding (MK, Jiggs, Kirby) are really light so he can just forego edgeguarding and try to build up a bit more percent to get his strong moves to kill. On most characters, he has a fantastic egdgeuarding game. Think Peach, but he has a meteor. A METEOR!!! Giving a floating character a meteor is a crazy tool, not to mention his huge bair with high knockback can be used too.

Two big things here:
- His meteor smash isn't a real meteor smash
It has less hitstun than a normal meteor smash and doesn't hit straight down - it's a semispike. What does this mean? If you hit a character with that sweetspot and they aren't at kill percentage, by the time your endlag is over they'll probably have already hit you with something.

- His meteor smash is a terrible edgeguarding tool
It has a TEENY TINY sweetspot. If you land it on a floaty, kudos to you. It is nearly impossible to combo into at a percentage that it would do any good at. If you miss that sweetspot the opponent goes right in Goku's dead zone without enough power to KO, meaning you may be susceptible to being edgehogged or meteored yourself.

Phoenix Wright wrote:
His neutral game isn't lacking, he has a lot of speed so he can techchase effectively and chain moves like nair together. I don't think he can do extremely long combos, but he is capable of dealing damage and then getting his opponent offstage to transition into edgeguarding mode.

If he can get in, it's hard to stay in.
Goku's designed to be fast, yes, but he can't string together long combos and thus his attacks magnify his range issues. Typically with a character of this sort, you'll have the ability to combo a stock off once you get in. Look at Mario. Now look at Goku. Unless you tech chase or roll read someone with downB to get KK going, it's not going to happen.

Phoenix Wright wrote:
And KK really is strong. One of my favourite combos with it is jab reset->KK->grab->dthrow chaingrab until they get offstage->fair meteor (this part requires a read, run off fair for no jump read and SH fair for jump read.

Dthrow doesn't CG if DI'd correctly. The combo is fast enough where they may not notice it but yeah.

We basically have a jack-of-all-trades in Goku. He does a lot of things... spacing, comboing, zoning... but he doesn't excel in any category until you get a downB. If he didn't have Kaioken he would be a flat out bad character. However when you go Kaioken, you get EASILY the best character in the game - but with a heavy penalty. With the high damage rate and the unfortunate carry-over of the huge hurt animation, Kaioken can easily blow up in your face if you don't keep that combo going. Goku is not S tier. Goku is probably not A tier either.

This is why Goku is on the list. He is a s*** character.
#TrashoverGoku

WelfareWednesday wrote:
Why should it be better? And who's asking for a huge nerf?
ProjectBrawl7 wrote:
Nobody is asking for a nerf, the SSF2 did it...

Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:08 pm
 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next