The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 5:45 pm

[ 4 posts ] 
Mcleodgaming Website Design Analysis 

MGN Username: masterwex
Currently Playing: SSF2 Beta, Yeah Jam Fury: UME, CrossCode, Ace Attorney
Waifu: Lea (CrossCode)
I did this for my website design class I just started and thought I would share it here. What do you think?

The purpose of this website is it's the official website for the gaming company McLeodgaming, formed by Greg Mcleod. The company is known for their successful free flash game known as Super Smash Flash 2, which is currently under development. The website is very eye-catching to the viewer, with a preview of their game in the background and designed for mobile devices. On the top of the website, the speaking block navigation contrasts well with the background, with each category having a corresponding mini logo and color. As you hover over each section the bottom color of the category fills the group and the text and logo turns black, ensuring readability. Social media links are below the fold, allowing followers of the company ways to keep up with them. Overall, the homepage is very straight-forward and pleasing to look at, with a lot of animation that attracts the company's 8-16 user group. Navigating throughout the site, each page has a breadcrumb trail to allow users to know where they are. Improvements to the website could include a search bar somewhere in the top righthand corner to find specific things faster and an about section. The news from the website could also be better organized with a table of contents section to easily click into all of their posts, instead of having to click "older posts" multiple times. They could also use a numbering system under their navigation bar, where "3" would have the latest news, "2" would have older news, and so on. Finally while very appealing, the site designers should consider replacing the video in the homepage background with a slide show to cut bandwidth the site uses up.

Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:56 pm

MGN Username: ;Danny;
Currently Playing: Poker
Waifu: Gwyndolin
Sounds good.

Pochiman wrote:
Frank stretches his dick to the other side and asks his son to grab it. Then he ties his balls into a rock, and after that he cuts off his dick with his knife. Then he crosses by his dick.

Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:14 am
Site Moderator

ill proofread a bit. expect no real effort and dont take this as gospel lol

Master Wex wrote:
I did this for my website design class I just started and thought I would share it here. What do you think?

The purpose of this website is it's the official website for the gaming company McLeodgaming, formed by Greg Mcleod.

awkwardly phrased. try opening with something less stilted like "This website functions as the official website for" etc - not that exact opener though, use your brain

Master Wex wrote:
The company is known for their successful free flash game known as Super Smash Flash 2, which is currently under development. The website is very eye-catching to the viewer,

eye-catching to the viewer as opposed to whom? assume the viewer is the only person with eyes

Master Wex wrote:
with a preview of their game in the background and designed for mobile devices.

clarify that the website is designed for mobile devices, not the game

Master Wex wrote:
On the top of the website, the speaking block navigation contrasts well with the background, with each category having a corresponding mini logo and color. As you hover over each section the bottom color of the category fills the group and the text and logo turns black, ensuring readability. Social media links are below the fold, allowing followers of the company ways to keep up with them. Overall, the homepage is very straight-forward and pleasing to look at, with a lot of animation that attracts the company's 8-16 user group. Navigating throughout the site, each page has a breadcrumb trail to allow users to know where they are. Improvements to the website could include a search bar somewhere in the top righthand corner to find specific things faster and an about section. The news from the website could also be better organized with a table of contents section to easily click into all of their posts, instead of having to click "older posts" multiple times.

all of this is fine/serviceable

Master Wex wrote:
They could also use a numbering system under their navigation bar, where "3" would have the latest news, "2" would have older news, and so on.

you give a very vague description of what this numbering system is supposed to be. either explain in better detail or exclude this part

Master Wex wrote:
Finally while very appealing, the site designers should consider replacing the video in the homepage background with a slide show to cut bandwidth the site uses up.

yeah w/e

there. now you have at least a B. im assuming this is a high school/early college Intro to Web Design class so you'll be fine probably

Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:46 am

MGN Username: masterwex
Currently Playing: SSF2 Beta, Yeah Jam Fury: UME, CrossCode, Ace Attorney
Waifu: Lea (CrossCode)
Thank you for the proofread. I already turned this in by the time I posted this so this was not here for me to get a better grade but I will definitely remember your proofread when writing other papers. The only thing I would object to in your proofread is clarifying that the website is compatible for mobile devices, not the game. The paragraph was on website analysis, so the only reason I mentioned ssf2 was to give a brief explanation. The subject of the sentence you refer to also concerns the website, so I think my professor will not mistake it with the company's game.

Oh and as to the vague part maybe if I said to divide the news section into different pages to navigate it would make more sense. It would be similar to navigating a long thread in a forum?

Thank you again.

Japanese Goblin wrote:
ill proofread a bit. expect no real effort and dont take this as gospel lol

Master Wex wrote:

The purpose of this website is it's the official website for the gaming company McLeodgaming, formed by Greg Mcleod.

awkwardly phrased. try opening with something less stilted like "This website functions as the official website for" etc - not that exact opener though, use your brain

Master Wex wrote:
The company is known for their successful free flash game known as Super Smash Flash 2, which is currently under development. The website is very eye-catching to the viewer,

eye-catching to the viewer as opposed to whom? assume the viewer is the only person with eyes

Master Wex wrote:
with a preview of their game in the background and designed for mobile devices.

clarify that the website is designed for mobile devices, not the game

Master Wex wrote:
On the top of the website, the speaking block navigation contrasts well with the background, with each category having a corresponding mini logo and color. As you hover over each section the bottom color of the category fills the group and the text and logo turns black, ensuring readability. Social media links are below the fold, allowing followers of the company ways to keep up with them. Overall, the homepage is very straight-forward and pleasing to look at, with a lot of animation that attracts the company's 8-16 user group. Navigating throughout the site, each page has a breadcrumb trail to allow users to know where they are. Improvements to the website could include a search bar somewhere in the top righthand corner to find specific things faster and an about section. The news from the website could also be better organized with a table of contents section to easily click into all of their posts, instead of having to click "older posts" multiple times.

all of this is fine/serviceable

Master Wex wrote:
They could also use a numbering system under their navigation bar, where "3" would have the latest news, "2" would have older news, and so on.

you give a very vague description of what this numbering system is supposed to be. either explain in better detail or exclude this part

Master Wex wrote:
Finally while very appealing, the site designers should consider replacing the video in the homepage background with a slide show to cut bandwidth the site uses up.

yeah w/e

there. now you have at least a B. im assuming this is a high school/early college Intro to Web Design class so you'll be fine probably

Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:58 am
 [ 4 posts ]