The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 5:36 pm

[ 11 posts ] 
DCliche's Sprite Topic 

Spyro the Dragon, classic incarnation. Reference: http://images.wikia.com/spyro/images/a/a0/Spyro_attack.jpg

What can be improved, and (most importantly) how can I improve it? I'm planning to use some distant descendant of this as the base sprite for an expansion.

I'd especially like critique on the feet, as I can't seem to get them quite right.

Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:34 pm

Well for starters, It looks like the color scheme on the lower body seems a bit gradient
Also, the tail, chest, and wings don't really match the picture much but mostly, doesn't also match the color scheme of that picture aswell

Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:44 am

Currently Playing: Ball Breaker with your sister. it's a real game...
Very good for a new guy:

fix up the lining. it will help you in the long run.
move the wings closer to the upper body.
make the tail smaller
pick 2 shading colors for each color. (dark purple) (light purple) (dark orange) (light orange)

Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:38 am

Michael M wrote:
Well for starters, It looks like the color scheme on the lower body seems a bit gradient

What do you mean by 'gradient'?

Michael M wrote:
Also, the tail, chest, and wings don't really match the picture much

Hmm. I see what you mean about the chest and wings, but what's wrong with the tail?

Michael M wrote:
but mostly, doesn't also match the color scheme of that picture aswell

I'll redo the colors, then.

luckycrime wrote:
fix up the lining. it will help you in the long run.

What in particular is wrong with the lining?

luckycrime wrote:
move the wings closer to the upper body.

Will do.

luckycrime wrote:
make the tail smaller

Smaller as in shorter, skinnier, or both?

luckycrime wrote:
pick 2 shading colors for each color. (dark purple) (light purple) (dark orange) (light orange)

I'll try that.

Thanks for the critique!

Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:46 am

What you don't have, is a sense of art. If you want to be a spriter I suggest you learn how to draw properly. If you can draw Spyro on paper WITHOUT looking at another picture of him, then you should try tackling his sprite again.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:44 pm
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Super Smash Flash 2
Gears wrote:
What you don't have, is a sense of art. If you want to be a spriter I suggest you learn how to draw properly. If you can draw Spyro on paper WITHOUT looking at another picture of him, then you should try tackling his sprite again.

He doesn't have to memorize what each thing he sprites looks like before he sprites it. As long as he doesn't steal he's fine.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:30 pm

PixelBoy wrote:
Gears wrote:

He doesn't have to memorize what each thing he sprites looks like before he sprites it. As long as he doesn't steal he's fine.

You completely misunderstood what I was saying, it had nothing to do with the fact of stealing. I was just simply saying that his sprite has absolutely no artistic sense to it, its almost as if he made a bunch of rectangles and labeled them body parts. Without a sense of art you can't properly sprite, mainly because you have no feel for what its suppose to be or how it should be. The whole point of drawing Spyro without looking at an existing piece is to try and develop that feel for what looks right, then jump back into spriting.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:06 pm

Gears wrote:
PixelBoy wrote:
Gears wrote:

You completely misunderstood what I was saying, it had nothing to do with the fact of stealing. I was just simply saying that his sprite has absolutely no artistic sense to it, its almost as if he made a bunch of rectangles and labeled them body parts. Without a sense of art you can't properly sprite, mainly because you have no feel for what its suppose to be or how it should be. The whole point of drawing Spyro without looking at an existing piece is to try and develop that feel for what looks right, then jump back into spriting.

I could sprite before I could draw. I'm still better at spriting than drawing too.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:16 pm

Glitch wrote:
Gears wrote:
PixelBoy wrote:
Gears wrote:

I could sprite before I could draw. I'm still better at spriting than drawing too.

The point is that you obviously aren't this f*** person, can you guys stop criticizing my goddamn advice?

Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:21 pm
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Super Smash Flash 2
Gears wrote:
PixelBoy wrote:
Gears wrote:

Oh k well... He doesn't have to draw it on paper as long as he practices...

Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:33 pm

Gears wrote:

This is the first sprite he posted on this forum... Go easy on him man...

Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:18 am
 [ 11 posts ]