The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 3:35 pm

[ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
MG Mafia 25: UPick Literally Anything-Game Ended 
BR Member

MGN Username: Doq
Currently Playing: one of thousands of variations of Solitaire
Waifu: Es
rip

Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:17 am
YIM WWW

Terra wrote:
as well as Lightning’s incredibly powerful role(there are no other cops in game).

You did great, I'm so proud of you.

Click to expand thumbnail

Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:27 pm

Currently Playing: Dota 2, CSGO, MGSV
so I won right

Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:52 pm

Currently Playing: Dota 2, CSGO, MGSV
Would've liked to post my chord progression too

Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:56 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Savvy, eh?
Currently Playing: Savvy's Art Academy
So, let me start off by saying that I love UPick. The mod gets to stretch his creative powers further than usual and the players get to insert some of their own personality into their roles. The issue with this setup is that thanks to the "most amazing role ever" role, it turned into a "bastard mod" game to the extreme. I'm all for unique roles, but when the players can't get a grip on whether the information that they are being fed is true or not, it really puts a damper on the cat-and-mouse-with-a-gun game that is at the core of mafia. I think the game would have been more fun with simpler roles, but specifically without the supermod role. Now, this is nothing against you, Terra. I'm simply speaking from experience as a guy that has made some poor design choices in the past. What's important is to learn from that and move on towards more elegant roles and better games. With that in mind, there are a few other design choices on which I would like to comment.

The items.
Not the items inherent to roles, but those that were planned to be introduced later in the game. There are several problems with these. First of all, there was no mention of items in the opening post. People generally like to know what they are getting into when they join a game, and I think a mention of the plan to include game-altering items distributed essentially by time zone was important to include right off the bat. Second, the items themselves - at least the one that was specifically described in the docuent that you shared - were waaaaaaaay too powerful and had the potential to be devastatingly game altering. Can you imagine if a mafioso had gotten a hold of the Aegis of the Immortal in such a small setup? It would pretty much have meant a guaranteed loss for town.

Skye's killing ability
The idea is cool, but it is simply waaaaay too swingy, especially for a game of this size. While it was unlikely, 194 could have won the game in a day if three people decided to target the same player as he did. That shouldn't be possible.

As a side note, I don't think that this role really needed a vengekill, but that's up for debate.

TWOK's passives
I'm not a big fan of warning players of things that aren't in the game, but eh, that's not a huge deal. What I do take issue with is the Bloodlust passive. That is super powerful in such a small setup and could have made the game extremely difficult for the mafia to win.

Lightning's random redirect and point system
Random redirects are not very fun, in my opinion. I don't like taking control away from the players or having control taken away from me. Also, while I understand the purpose of the point system, it's really easy to amass a lot of points in the random voting stage if all that is required is voting for someone that someone else is already voting for. Personally, I would have reduced the number of points necessary for the 3-pointers by 1 and the 6-pointer by 2 and defined a wagon as three players.

Anyroad, thank you for hosting, Terra, and I do hope that you will reconsider going on hiatus. I think we're ready to put this section back in action, but we need people to make that happen. Everyone makes mistakes, and moderating a UPick is quite difficult. Don't be too hard on yourself. Cheers. :peach:

Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:37 pm
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: Dota 2, BoI: Rebirth, Fallout 4, Bloodborne, MGSV
I was 100% baiting a killing role btw. If that wasn't obvious. I also chose a very morally ambiguous character in order to also bait third party but I guess SOMEONE baited harder.

While this game was incredibly town-sided, I think it still would have been fun had people not just started quitting. I was thinking harder this game than I have since probably SSBB Mafia. I love role madness and Upick because they make the game really fun and I'm more invested in my role because I helped make it. This game was fun because I was constantly doubting what DJ was telling us and turns out I was right!! I didn't believe for a second he was unkillable and it was pretty much confirmed when he fought our "attempt" to lynch him so hard. I was actually planning on killing him tonight and giving my sword to Brik so we'd still have the vig kill. He was also bluffing pretty hard about how much power he had. I'm pretty sure we could have made this a town win even with him there.

Seriously though Terra, don't be hard on yourself for this. Keeping playing, modding, etc. You're one of the most creative people here.

Anyone have ideas for next game? Brik/DJ?

AMA

Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:41 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: Chaconne
Yeah, you got me. I was trying to fake it till I made it, but y'all still read me anyways.

I hold absolutely no hard feelings for this game towards you Terra, if anything I think it was an interesting learning experience.
Personally, I've learned that
1) Broken roles with difficult win conditions are still broken.
2) Unusual third parties can and will completely destroy an otherwise beautifully crafted game if you're not extremely careful.
3) Don't claim third party unless the town has a really good reason to want you to win.
4) Fake post restrictions are always hilarious.

I'm working on an open 8P that I think will be interesting, but I'm planning on it being 5v1v1v1 so I'm going to be extremely cautious and run through it as thoroughly as possible to make sure it's balanced before hosting. Not sure when it'll be ready but hopefully it'll be soon.

I'd be down for a relatively vanilla open, maybe Carbon 14 with an extra townie?

Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:13 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Savvy, eh?
Currently Playing: Savvy's Art Academy
TOWK wrote:
Seriously though Terra, don't be hard on yourself for this. Keeping playing, modding, etc. You're one of the most creative people here.
Imageed for truth.

TOWK wrote:
IAnyone have ideas for next game? Brik/DJ?
Terra gave me the itch to host a UPick because despite being short-lived, this one was super fun. I'm down for that in the near future and I'm tossing around a couple other ideas as well.

Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:56 pm

To be honest, I liked my role in this game quite a bit.

I haven't felt like I had this much power in a role since the Gun Slinger role from Cowboys & Cattlerustlers.

Also, I hate getting killed near the beginning in games, because I feel that I get better as they go on.
My role in this game helped prevent that from happening.

Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:05 pm

I had an idea for a Pokémon UPick (probably limited to Gen I or I and II only) but I'm not a very organised person and probably wouldn't be a good mod, so if anyone wants to take that idea then they can

I figured people would easily see that I was mafia simply because I was so opposed to Semicolon's plan

Anyway I won't complain about this too much, I'll just look past it and enjoy the next game

Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:11 pm

Also Doq I was totally gonna pick John Cena but I was looking at pictures of jellyfish and decided to be one of those instead

Actually that's a good question

Terra, did you pick teams after getting role names or before

I need to know if I should dream of the two-Cena mafia that never was

Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:28 pm

If you make a Pokémon UPick, can I still be John Cena?

Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:33 pm

You can be Machamp, yes

Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:34 pm

MGN Username: 194
Currently Playing: most likely Celeste
Waifu: Curly Brace
I picked my role by randomizing a letter and searching on my google search history for the first noun or name starting with said letter.

I considered to pick Elsa for 0.05 seconds too. Then I decided to go random, since the last time I went Random in an UPick I got a cool role (Ice Climbers).

Avatar and signature pics by Semicolon.

Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:30 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Doq
Currently Playing: one of thousands of variations of Solitaire
Waifu: Es
I was tempted to pick God.

Just God.

But I felt that would be OP as hell.

Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:08 pm
YIM WWW
 [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next