The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 6:11 pm

[ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Why Your RP Failed: Tips & Tricks to making a successful RP 

Dunno if I can even place this here. Nini, go ahead and delete/lock if it doesn't belong.

Well, looking through this board, it's easy to see that many RPs have failed, sometimes before they began. I was thinking that we should have a topic, as a database on why and how RPs have failed over time, which can help newer people who are just starting to make RPs by showing them what should be avoided.

Lack of detail - One of the most basic reasons. When an RP doens't give the most basic details (which set up the story, world, NPCs, etc.), then it can fail in an instant. Lack of detail doesn't draw people as well compared to a fleshed out set of ideas. Lack of detail can also tie in with bad grammar (somehow, you can find bad grammar and lack of detail appear around each other quite a bit)

Lack of Interest - Another common reason. You could have the most fleshed out plot, leveling system, NPCs with a rich background, BUT all that doesn't guarantee people will be interested enough to join it. Some prefer fantasy RPs, others like modern RPs, and some like futuristic RPs. Due to these preferences, people may or may not join. Lack of interest can also go hand in hand with lack of detail, as very little detail doesn't generate interest.

Lack of Commitment - You have to face it, sometimes people get bored. Not every RP can last one million pages. Some people become lax and stop posting. Some disappear, sometimes for good. A great RP can be torn apart by members (or a GM) who lose their sense of commitment to the cause. This can leave committed players with nothing to do, and the RP eventually dies.

Bad Events - Sometimes events in an RP can cause others to quit. Though rare, it is possible for someone to be so fed up with what happened, that they can quit. This won't always kill an RP, but it can cause friction. Others can easily feel like it's unfair and quit as well.
Though this has most likely never happened here (because we all luv each other), I have seen it happen on other forums.

Bad Starting Post - So, you got your RP ready to go and everyone is ready to begin your amazing adventure. You start the RP off with your beginning post...but there is something wrong...some people seem to be turned off from the idea...
Most likely, they may not have liked how the beginning post was written. The first post sets up the building blocks for the entire RP, and is very important.

Last edited by A Cat on Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:43 pm
Legendary Ghost

Location: Where angels fear to tread, and man is but a cautionary tale.
Actually this is a good idea.

I think ill sticky it.

Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:52 pm

Waifu: I'm married
It needs a ruder name, so people will read it. Like "Why everything you try to do in life fails miserably and quickly."

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:57 am
YIM WWW
Site Moderator

Masochist Mac wrote:
It needs a ruder name, so people will read it. Like "Why everything you try to do in life fails miserably and quickly."

"You're dead. Your friends are dead. Your family's dead. Your pets are being skinned alive. You suck at life. Deal with it."

Let's do that.

Jin wrote:
I support the bombing of Israel.

Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:38 am

Currently Playing: The Game
Blue Mage wrote:
Masochist Mac wrote:

"You're dead. Your friends are dead. Your family's dead. Your pets are being skinned alive. You suck at life. Deal with it."

Let's do that.

AVGN reference get!

Oh and some people just can't seem to handle my realistic and serious RPs.

Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:58 am
Site Moderator

Thaiberium wrote:
Blue Mage wrote:
Masochist Mac wrote:

Let's do that.

AVGN reference get!

But I like realistic and srsness RP's...

Jin wrote:

Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:29 pm
Site Moderator

Thaiberium wrote:
Blue Mage wrote:
Masochist Mac wrote:

Let's do that.

AVGN reference get!

Perhaps they just think it might be grimdark or something.

Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:50 pm

Or maybe they just don't know how the jet fighters work.

Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:36 am
Site Moderator

Thaiberium wrote:
Or maybe they just don't know how the jet fighters work.

Uh what was this?

Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:44 am

Want me to post an RP that requires the RPer to know how fighter jets work? Because I can do that and have no one join because it'd be too complicated.

Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:44 am
Site Moderator

I'd join. My brother's in the air force. I have the operating manual and everything.

Jin wrote:

Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:47 am

Well I won't ask you to know how to start up an F-16 (that alone takes five minutes and even I don't remember all the steps). Still apart from blue, who else would join?

Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:57 am
Site Moderator

I'd try at least, I know they won't turn instantly or something, though a detailed knowledge of jets I don't have, though a place I could check would be useful.

Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:23 am
Site Moderator

lol This would be the most technical, hard-fueled role playing game I will have ever joined. We would win the skies with our quadruplex FBW FLCS and brand spanking new core FLCC's with built in coffee makers!

Jin wrote:

Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:23 am

That's right, let me flip the switch that turns on the radar of the littlest AWAC and splash you from over 100 nautical miles. I kid, it won't be that technical. If you can at least play Wings Over Europe on the easiest difficulty, I think you should be able to RP this. Of course, those that can play Falcon 4.0 and LOMAC and still enjoy it will have a greater advantage as well as those with a general knowledge of military jets.

Right-o, let me post a prototype.

Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:54 am
 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next