The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 5:33 am

[ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 24  Next
Your Religion? 

Currently Playing: Vanquish
Captain Blueballs wrote:
Sure it would, 99% of assholes, idiots, and genocide would vanish.

I have serious doubts about that.
Infact, I don't believe any of those would vanish.

Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:11 am

Waifu: I'm married
Not completely, but until the remaining assholes find other reasons to spread, there'd be a period of peace.

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:37 am
YIM WWW

Captain Blueballs wrote:
Not completely, but until the remaining assholes find other reasons to spread, there'd be a period of peace.

Maybe, but I still have my doubts.

Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:47 pm

Currently Playing: Ninja Gaiden III
Well religion gave people morals, if it wasn't for religion, what would the murder rate be? It wouldn't be morally wrong to kill someone (basically look at what I said about agnosticism vs. atheism). Also, religious groups set up Anglicare, St. Vincent de Paul's and stuff like that because fo their religion. Same with the doll, the idea was developed by Christians, people who did it for religion. We have historical sources saying that during times of bubonic plague, the Christians stayed to help the sick while others ran away trying to save themselves. Basically religion has given people reason to help others

Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:36 pm

|~DVDV~| wrote:
Well religion gave people morals, if it wasn't for religion, what would the murder rate be? It wouldn't be morally wrong to kill someone (basically look at what I said about agnosticism vs. atheism). Also, religious groups set up Anglicare, St. Vincent de Paul's and stuff like that because fo their religion. Same with the doll, the idea was developed by Christians, people who did it for religion. We have historical sources saying that during times of bubonic plague, the Christians stayed to help the sick while others ran away trying to save themselves. Basically religion has given people reason to help others

Morals are within the subconscious of most people. Religion has only bolstered it, not created it.
Besides, it's probably impossible for a large amount of people to exist without them forming some kind of group.

Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:38 pm

Ah yes, but what is the Subconscious? is it a way to escape reality? or is it something more?

The devil is even a little scared of you!
http://zero-xesend.mybrute.com

Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:53 pm

:'( wrote:
|~DVDV~| wrote:

Morals are within the subconscious of most people. Religion has only bolstered it, not created it.
Besides, it's probably impossible for a large amount of people to exist without them forming some kind of group.

I dunno if people would actually pay attention to those moral standards and more for their own desires.

Just my 2 cents on this.
But I'd rather not get into a huge debate about Religion vs. Atheism and what not.

Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:00 pm

|~DVDV~| wrote:

But they are based on external influences. Religion is a prime influence, not necessarily a direct one in all cases, but definitely an indirect one. I strongly doubt that you would have the same moral standing if you had a Muslim upbringing, (don't try to tell me that you'd change religions, you probably wouldn't) or a Buddhist one or whatever.

Octodooks wrote:

I dunno if people would actually pay attention to those moral standards and more for their own desires.
Just my 2 cents on this.
But I'd rather not get into a huge debate about Religion vs. Atheism and what not.

Well I think it's a good start that we've actually had intelligent debate without someone coming in and saying something like 'All Christians are brainwashed, gullible idiots' or 'Atheists need to have a closer look at the world around them' or something like that

Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:04 am

True, True.
It's nice having some educated people in this topic, I just don't want this to get super-heated.

Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:32 pm

Chernobog wrote:
Ah yes, but what is the Subconscious? is it a way to escape reality? or is it something more?

Sorry, I don't quite understand you
Octodooks wrote:
True, True.
It's nice having some educated people in this topic, I just don't want this to get super-heated.

Seconded

Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:23 pm

I am christian. In most cases I believe that being emo is a state when someone has no one to turn to for help, having a religion gives hope as well as happiness. Atheists think nothing comes from religion, but if anything, religion gives you a reason to get up in the morning and not look down at the world, even you realize that (I hope).

Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:17 am

Waifu: I'm married
Chernobog wrote:

... The subconscious is something that is not a conscious action or bit of knowledge. As in you never think about it, you just think/do it

Phratt Jr: Even when I believed in God, I had almost no faith at all in humanity or the world itself. I always thought that life only had meaning because some guy in space felt like giving it to me, and could have just as easily made me completely different or just made someone else instead.

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:34 am
YIM WWW

Captain Blueballs wrote:
Chernobog wrote:

Phratt Jr: Even when I believed in God, I had almost no faith at all in humanity or the world itself. I always thought that life only had meaning because some guy in space felt like giving it to me, and could have just as easily made me completely different or just made someone else instead.
But when you believed in God did you ever think that there was a reason he made you, why he put you on this Earth, he made you the way you are for he wanted you to fulfill your destiny and you couldn't do this if you were another person or looked any different, its just you have to find that destiny.

Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:17 am

Catholic.

The way I've been raised since I was born, no thoughts to change anytime soon.

Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:51 am

Captain Blueballs wrote:
Chernobog wrote:

... The subconscious is something that is not a conscious action or bit of knowledge. As in you never think about it, you just think/do it

I've never had much faith in humanity or the world itself, look around, there are wars, poverty, rape, murder, and none of it will change soon and in fact, I don't think it will change ever

Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:39 am
 [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 24  Next