The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 3:40 am

[ 15 posts ] 
I'm DarkErmac, and I dunno what the hell is going on. AMA! 
BR Member

Location: The wonderful world of... someplace that isn't on fire.
MGN Username: Dark Ermac
Sure, why not?

Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:20 pm

MGN Username: Oreocackester123
Waifu: trollbean
T or A?

Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:22 pm

MGN Username: WRXJoey
Currently Playing: osu!
Waifu: yes
Whats your opinion on the Charge Shot Glitch and its legality?

Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:23 pm
BR Member

Oreocackester12 wrote:
T or A?

f***' A, man.

WRXJoey wrote:
Whats your opinion on the Charge Shot Glitch and its legality?

CSG is dumb as hell, but Samus' MUs vs high tiers are 100% retarded, so I don't see the big deal with it. CSG takes ~4 near-full shots to OHKO, and even then it's not fully guaranteed if you actually DI out of her setup. Meanwhile, pretty much everyone in S/high A tier have better kill options for less effort. To me, CSG is mostly just another thing that can rack up some real damage and kill at somewhat low %s due to its high knockback even with a low stack, but it takes too much effort to get the OHKO because she usually dies before she can set it up vs the higher tiers, and she doesn't really need it vs the lower tiers. It should definitely be fixed though, as long as she gets some real options to stop her MUs from sucking hardcore.

Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:38 pm

MGN Username: Oreocackester123
Waifu: trollbean
My mann okay serious question now where do you see Samus on the tier list and what kind of buffs,nerfs do you think she needs and you would like to see in beta

Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:40 pm
BR Member

Oreocackester12 wrote:
My mann okay serious question now where do you see Samus on the tier list and what kind of buffs,nerfs do you think she needs and you would like to see in beta

All right, a serious question warrants a serious answer.

Right now, including CSG, I'd say she's about 20th, or borderline mid-tier. She has a very strong projectile game due to power beam, missiles, bombs, and the CSG, which gives her a definite edge against characters who can't play the long range game. Power beams cannot be cancelled out, and will pass through anything, making it her best option VS characters who outrange her. Super Missiles can be fired very fast, move fast, and do a good amount of damage and knockback, usually killing offstage opponents at around 100%. Homing Missiles are slower and weaker, but can hit characters who could normally duck underneath Supers, can be used as "traps" to set up combos due to their long lifespan and vertical knock back, and will not reverse direction when powershielded or reflected. Bombs are an extremely versatile tool, which can be used to break out of combos, stay out of reach, extend recovery, edgeguard offstage, zip around the stage via morphsliding, maintain stage control, and combo onstage. And, of course, CSG can kill opponents extremely early, sometimes even OHKOing if stacked enough.

She has a few other options that are similarly pretty good. Ftilt is very fast and has a long range, dsmash can KO really early when sweetspotted, dtilt and utilt are both strong moves that hit the opponent straight vertically, nooch comes out very fast and can combo into itself, bair is good for spacing and edgeguarding, dair is pretty much a guaranteed kill if it connects offstage and allows for followups onstage, and uair is pretty underrated overall. She can also use Zair to outrange the more disjointed characters, as long as it's timed properly, and immediately follow up because it has no landing lag whatsoever. Her dash attack has high priority, allowing her to charge right through projectiles, and it can be used as a BTFO kind of move if it connects. Her throws aren't all too special, though her down throw leads to a guaranteed Charge Shot or down smash at mid-level %s against the average character.

Now, despite all these good things she has, there are a lot of drawbacks that prevent her from getting out of relative mediocrity. Her projectile game is largely gimped, due to how easy powershielding is in this game. Against a top-level player, it is virtually impossible to successfully hit the opponent with a projectile in the neutral game, as they will always be able to powershield it on reaction, thus limiting its use to aerial opponents. Even then, most characters can instantly cancel out her missiles and bombs without taking any damage just by throwing out a disjointed move, which all but invalidates the whole point of Samus' character.

Furthermore, Samus is sorely lacking in movement speed, attack speed, disjointed attacks, combos, and kill options. She gets outmaneuvered and overwhelmed by characters who are much faster than her, outranged by pretty much anyone who has disjointed hitboxes, and outpunished by characters who can actually combo beyond 2-3 hits. She has to work very hard to be able to kill her opponents, usually taking until about ~150-200% without CSG, though many characters have the potential to KO her instantly at the drop of a hat due to her floatiness, despite her high weight. Against characters who out-perform her in all these categories (Lloyd, Sheik), it's nearly impossible to win.

Also, her defensive options suck. her roll is really slow and easy to punish, her tech is really slow and easy to punish, her getup roll is very slow and easy to punish, her getup attack is very slow and easy to punish... you get the gist. Her only valid OOS options are to jump or Screw Attack. If she is forced into a bad situation, it's very, VERY difficult for her to regain her momentum.

Though her recovery is usually pretty amazing, it's actually very gimpable. Her ability to recover from below is limited to her midair jump and Screw Attack. If she doesn't have her midair jump and gets semispiked, she's dead, just like everyone else. Furthermore, her Screw Attack is not intangible, and several characters (MK, ZSS, Lloyd, Marth, Zelda...) can easily hit her out of it by outranging her, thus effectively screwing her out of her recovery. Her Zair is a terrible tether, as it is only active for ~6 frames and possesses a very tiny grab box that can easily miss or even overshoot the edge if you are slightly too high, slightly too low, or slightly too close. Samus' position needs to be EXACT in order for it to work, and it's a guaranteed death if you miss.

So yeah. Samus has terrible MUs against everyone in S Tier, and many A Tiers as well, which pretty much nullifies her in the current meta. However, her CSG is really, REALLY stupid, which almost makes up for her shortcomings, thus almost putting her in mid tier.

Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:33 pm

MGN Username: 194
Currently Playing: most likely Celeste
Waifu: Curly Brace
Why did you never answer the invitation for MG All Stars Mafia? :/

Avatar and signature pics by Semicolon.

Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:43 pm
BR Member

0xC2 wrote:
Why did you never answer the invitation for MG All Stars Mafia? :/

I'm pretty sure something spontaneously came up out of the blue and distracted me long enough to miss the call. Sorry.

Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:47 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Suli Hyuga
Did you predict that doq would win the suite?
Also, if we get Falco in this game, what iteration would you want it to be similar to?

My YouTube page! Subscribe! (Currently on hiatus)
My twitter!

Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:12 am
BR Member

MGN Username: CSWooly
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, SSF2, SSB4, League of Legends.
Considering Lunary and Kyoz, the main people who got results with Meta Knight and ZSS, havs left. If a new tier list was made for 0.9b again maybe a few months later, would you expect their placings to change due to them being a less dominant force in the metagame, and if so, which characters would be likely to replace them in the #1 and #2 spot?

Click to expand thumbnail

SSF2 Backroom Character Analyst and Labber

Mains: :lucario: :simon:

Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:17 am

What is your opinion on the Black Mage match up? (Black Mage vs Samus)

Subscribe to my channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvRau009BhLEGvBRrMTGcLA. I like to upload tournament replays, highlight videos, and other SSF2 content

Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:59 am
BR Member

SoF | Suli Hyuga wrote:
Did you predict that doq would win the suite?
Also, if we get Falco in this game, what iteration would you want it to be similar to?

Well, duh. Doq wins, no question. I laugh at all the randos out there who pick fights with him because he's "weak". He's the guy who eats randos for breakfast, even when he's totally out of it like he was yesterday.

Also, assuming Falco returns, I'd like to see him play like he does in Melee, totally. Pillar combos and bairs for days. There's no reason we have to gimp him by turning him into his smuh-forsche or Brawl counterparts just because this game plays closer to them.

I'm totally gonna answer the other questions tomorrow. Sorry guys.

Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:55 pm
BR Member

DSwift wrote:
Considering Lunary and Kyoz, the main people who got results with Meta Knight and ZSS, havs left. If a new tier list was made for 0.9b again maybe a few months later, would you expect their placings to change due to them being a less dominant force in the metagame, and if so, which characters would be likely to replace them in the #1 and #2 spot?

Hell no. Let me tell you something: online mode doesn't count for sheeeit. MK is way better than people think he is because he has the ability to punish pretty much everything on reaction alone with surgical precision and combos that could make Lloyd sweat. Online mode totally gimps all of that though, making him seem worse than he actually is. It REALLY doesn't help that he has a steep learning curve and very high APM which makes him more susceptible to input drops than a character with low APM, like say, Dong Dong Never Die.

ZSSamus is just plain stupid with her planking abilities alone. If he really wanted to, Kyoz could've totally pulled the Brawl card and played like someone who would rather win instead of entertaining people. Fortunately for us, he's better than that.

AxeEnding999 wrote:
What is your opinion on the Black Mage match up? (Black Mage vs Samus)

I hate this matchup. To me, it is very even, but absolutely nerve-wracking and terrible and I HATE IT. As long as Samus maintains stage control, she has a clear advantage over BM due to her superior projectile game and better comboability/damage input/neutral resetting options. However, once offstage, assuming that this is a top-level BM player, Samus is dead. DEAD. Black Mage is one of the few characters in this game that has an answer for literally anything that Samus can do offstage, and the whole thing sucks because of that. So yeah, I'd say it's maybe 55-45 in BM's favor.

Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:11 pm

What's your opinion on Chibi vs Samus?

Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:40 pm
BR Member

0_ZeroSuitUser_0 wrote:
What's your opinion on Chibi vs Samus?

I haven't had very much experience against Chibi-Robo, but I did force Kyoz to switch characters when he tried to go all Chibi during one tour. I'd say that Chibi has a lot of problems that are similar to Samus, such as low comboability and lack of strong kill options. His brush move does not work on uncharged shot and his vertical recovery is terrible, which combined with his light weight and a somewhat high fall speed gives him a huge disadvantage when knocked offstage. I would say it's probably about 60:40 Samus' favor, but I don't think that I'm eligible for giving a real answer due to lack of MU knowledge.

Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:45 pm
 [ 15 posts ]