The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 5:04 pm

[ 8 posts ] 
Story I'm currently writing.... 

Currently Playing: FE6-8, Radiant Historia, TWEWY
I've been working on a story for a good amount of time now, and I've decided to share it with the community.

The structure's like this: I'd have short chapters, author's notes and parts from the protagonist's view. First up would be the prologue, which is told in first person. The chapters however, are told from third person, and the author's notes and protagonists' chapters are in first person.

Enough with the chit-chat. Here's the prologue:

I’m an ordinary 13-year old. Well, at least I used to be ordinary. But that’s why my story is being told. If I were normal, there’d be no point in my story being told. Let me tell you in advance: this story will not end happily. For those of you that love happy endings, look away now.

OK. First, before we begin, a little about myself and what in the world is going on. I’m Jacob Li. As you can tell from the name, I’m Asian. Live in China, 2012. Living the difficult Asian life, filled with months of homework, constantly trying my best just to impress my parents. High expectations do get to your head.

I’ve always been as successful as successful can get, especially when it comes to grades. Where I’m from, they’re all that matter. At least to my parents anyway.

By now you’re probably thinking: “What’s so interesting about this kid anyway?” Well, I could go on about some drab cliche about how one day, my life was changed forever by something that was out of my control. It’s, to be honest about it, not that easy to explain. There’ll be multiple high notes, and multiple low notes. Expect a lot of twists and turns. I’ll stop talking now, and let the story explain itself.

And Chapter 1:
“Drat it!” Jacob shouted, as he raced out of his parent’s car door towards the nearby hall, not even leaving enough time for his mother to mouth a short “Goodbye.” “I’m going to be late for that silly, unnecessary Morning Assembly!” He rushed through the strangely empty hallway, and raced up the stairs, knowing he was late. “I can still make it!” he thought, just as he reached the doors. To his dismay, he saw the familiar face of his principal waiting at the hall’s doors.

“Well, well, well, what do we have here? Another latecomer, waiting for your punishment?” Principal Rief snarked. The principal stood tall as always, her eyes shifting in search of something important, though no one knew why. In her signature pressed suit, she looked as inviting as could get. Jacob knew better. The unassuming, kind figure of Principal Rief hid an evil spirit bent on satisfying her own desires.

“What do you want from me, Principal?” Jacob sarcastically replied. “Oh, just total and complete submission and acceptance that you've been misbehaving and that you'd listen to me.” Principal Rief replied, in a mocking, almost motherly tone. “Why should I, Principal?” Jacob snarked, and then proceeded to stare her down. She, however, remained unfazed, and told him, as sternly as possible, to "Come to the hall now for appropriate punishment." All Jacob could do was smirk as he sprinted away from the hall.

Jacob’s face turned from a sarcastic smile to that of seriousness once he heard the Principal whispering into a walkie-talkie. He ran off down the stairs, already hearing the footsteps of the guards behind him. “Not again!” he muttered, as he dashed down the long staircase. “This day can’t get any worse.”

Jacob lost track of time until he realized he reached the gate. Sprinting towards the gate to escape, he, for a moment, thought he was going to make it. The horror on his face was eminent as the guard awoke from his slumber to block him from exiting. As he found himself surrounded, he muttered a few choice swear words.

If there's any doubt about anything here, ask away. Updates will(hopefully) be weekly.

Sig courtesy of Arthur: eternally grateful.

Last edited by Terra on Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:17 pm

Terra wrote:
I’m an ordinary 13-year old. Well, at least I used to be ordinary. But that’s why my story is being told.

I don't think "but" is the word you're looking for here.
Quote:
If I were normal, there’d be no point in my story being told.

Does this parse?

Quote:
OK. First, before we begin, a little about myself and what in the world is going on. I’m Jacob Li. As you can tell from the name, I’m Asian. Live in China, 2012. Living the difficult Asian life, filled with months of homework, constantly trying my best just to impress my parents. High expectations do get to your head.

That's quite racist.

Quote:
By now you’re probably thinking: “What’s so interesting about this kid anyway?” Well, I could go on about some drab cliche about how one day, my life was changed forever by something that was out of my control. It’s, to be honest about it, not that easy to explain. There’ll be multiple high notes, and multiple low notes. Expect a lot of twists and turns. I’ll stop talking now, and let the story explain itself.

Why even add this to the prologue? It serves no purpose. Cut it out.

And Chapter 1:
Quote:
“Drat it!” Jacob shouted, as he raced out of his parent’s car door towards the nearby hall,

Parents', not parent's.

Quote:
not even leaving enough time for his mother to mouth a short “Goodbye.”

You could just say "a short goodbye" instead of "a short 'Goodbye.'" the extra quotation marks are completely unnecessary. Also, mouth a goodbye? Is he mute? How... tragic, I guess.

Quote:
“I’m going to be late for that silly, unnecessary Morning Assembly!”

Then why does he care?

Quote:
He rushed through the strangely empty hallway, and raced up the stairs, knowing he was late.

Awkward... does this parse?

Quote:
“What do we have here? Another latecomer, waiting for your punishment?” Principal Rief snarked. The principal stood tall as always, her eyes as sharp as a blade.

That sentence is hilariously bad. "eyes sharp as a blade" sounds like something a 5th grade creative writing teacher would mark as "powerful symbolism."

Quote:
The unassuming, kind figure of Principal Rief hid an evil spirit bent on satisfying her own desires.

Spirit. Gender neutral. Its own desires.

Quote:
“What do you want from me, Principal?” Jacob sarcastically replied. “Follow me, now.” Principal Rief replied, in a commanding tone. “Why should I, Principal?” Signs of anger and rage were already forming on her face. “Security!” she shouted, “Get him!”

Why does he call her principal? Awkward. If he doesn't show any respect you may as well go the full mile and make his dialogue disrespectful.
Also, calling security on one of your students!? Wow!

Quote:
Jacob’s face turned from a sarcastic smile to that of seriousness.

Does this parse?
Quote:
Sprinting towards the gate to escape, he, for a moment, thought he was going to make it.

Too many commas.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:06 pm

First of all, noook, I'd like to thank you for your criticism, as it shows that you've actually read my work.

I'd like to say that I'm writing in a highly informal style. This is why I use the words and phrases I use. Regardless, they can still be improved, and I'll take your word for it, as will be mentioned in my comments.

noooook wrote:
Terra wrote:
I’m an ordinary 13-year old. Well, at least I used to be ordinary. But that’s why my story is being told.

I don't think "but" is the word you're looking for here.
I use the word "but" here because it's informal.

Quote:
If I were normal, there’d be no point in my story being told.

Does this parse?
To define parse, it is to analyse. I, to be honest, have no idea what you're talking about here.

Quote:

That's quite racist.
It's part of the "laid-back yet angry at times" personality of the protagonist. To be able to laugh at your own life is something good.

Quote:

Why even add this to the prologue? It serves no purpose. Cut it out.
As I've mentioned before, he's telling a story. It's informal.

And Chapter 1:
Quote:
“Drat it!” Jacob shouted, as he raced out of his parent’s car door towards the nearby hall,

Parents', not parent's.
Made a mistake here. Will fix it.

Quote:
not even leaving enough time for his mother to mouth a short “Goodbye.”

You could just say "a short goodbye" instead of "a short 'Goodbye.'" the extra quotation marks are completely unnecessary. Also, mouth a goodbye? Is he mute? How... tragic, I guess.
Yes, the quotations weren't necessary, but I use them anyway for the effect. I'll take them out.

Quote:
“I’m going to be late for that silly, unnecessary Morning Assembly!”

Then why does he care?
He's saying that it's unnecessary. Discipline in the school is quite harsh though.

Quote:
He rushed through the strangely empty hallway, and raced up the stairs, knowing he was late.

Awkward... does this parse?

Quote:
“What do we have here? Another latecomer, waiting for your punishment?” Principal Rief snarked. The principal stood tall as always, her eyes as sharp as a blade.

That sentence is hilariously bad. "eyes sharp as a blade" sounds like something a 5th grade creative writing teacher would mark as "powerful symbolism."
I'll make a little edit to that, make it less dramatic, maybe more commanding?

Quote:
The unassuming, kind figure of Principal Rief hid an evil spirit bent on satisfying her own desires.

Spirit. Gender neutral. Its own desires.
Could I know what you're trying to get at here?

Quote:
“What do you want from me, Principal?” Jacob sarcastically replied. “Follow me, now.” Principal Rief replied, in a commanding tone. “Why should I, Principal?” Signs of anger and rage were already forming on her face. “Security!” she shouted, “Get him!”

Why does he call her principal? Awkward. If he doesn't show any respect you may as well go the full mile and make his dialogue disrespectful.
Also, calling security on one of your students!? Wow!
Need to add italics to that for the effect. Forgot when I was transferring it. Also, I think I'd add Jacob throwing a punch in.

Quote:
Jacob’s face turned from a sarcastic smile to that of seriousness.

Does this parse?
Same problem as previously.
Quote:
Sprinting towards the gate to escape, he, for a moment, thought he was going to make it.

Too many commas.
The alternative is to use brackets, which I hate.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:38 pm

Currently Playing: Fable III
Informal/colloquial english and bad grammar are different things.
Quote:

"But" indicates a small negative, almost like a contradiction. There is nothing contradictory about not being ordinary and telling your story. In fact, if you removed the but, the sentence would make more sense.
Quote:

"Living in China", not "Live in China". Unless you mean "I live in China"? Here, it's not clear he's laughing at his life or poking fun at it.
Quote:

He's rambling here. I guess you could do it, but try to keep it down (it's not interesting).
Quote:

As a pronoun, "her" refers to the last noun. "Spirit" is not a "her". "Spirit" is an "it".
Quote:

You could always say "Sprinting towards the gate to escape, he thought for a moment that he was going to make it".

Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:46 pm

Drat. Haven't updated this in a while. Anyway, FoD, your points are all valid, and I'll change it as soon as I have time, which will not be until a few months later, due to me working on SPAM.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:52 am

MGN Username: Goombario64
Currently Playing: SSB4
This is really good! Other than what's already been said, there's really no other mistakes to be fixed. Hope you can update it soon! Maybe by Christmas?

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Mains:
SSB4: Pika, Mario, and Yyyoshiii! I also enjoy Captain Falcon Dittos (who doesn't?!)
Pokkén Tournament:
Weavile, Pikachu-Libre, Shadow Mewtwo
Looking forward to playing as the Sandbag in SSF2. Time for some Revenge to be dished out.
~Formerly Goombario64~

Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:08 pm

Waifu: I'm married
Goombario64 wrote:
Other than what's already been said, there's really no other mistakes to be fixed.

other than the story, everything is fine

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:53 am
YIM WWW

Goombario64 wrote:
This is really good! Other than what's already been said, there's really no other mistakes to be fixed. Hope you can update it soon! Maybe by Christmas?

Have a few chapters but someone needs to remind me to work on this.

Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:33 am
 [ 8 posts ]