The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 1:22 pm

Forum rules

DO NOT POST YOUR OWN UNFINISHED GAMES YOU'VE CREATED HERE!

To post about your own projects go here: viewforum.php?f=41

[ 2471 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147 ... 165  Next
Super Mario Bros. 

MGN Username: Byllant
Currently Playing: A lot of Nintendo games as if there's no end.
Puffer, mine's a more interesting case, so I'll reveal my "sad" and crazy story, take some popcorn, and get very comfortable, is a bit long story:

My Super Mario Galaxy 2 problem: show
The farthest I have gotten in Super Mario Galaxy 2 is to the Clockwork Ruins Galaxy, beyond that galaxy, all galaxies have remained unplayed by me, why? because at that point the game tricked me and made me fail with my goal to clear the whole game without dying even once and thus not increasing the death counter revealed at the end even by one. What happened back then? Clockswork Galaxy was a very annoying level that indeed make me lost many lives several times, but that wasn't the true problem, after all, I could reset the game and start over the galaxy knowing that lost lives won't be scored unless the game is saved. Well, to de-stress me, I purposely kill Mario on purpose, I like the way Mario, or in this case Luigi (as he approach me in that galaxy to play with him), dies in the game, but the dying time is so short you have no time to appreciate Mario (or Luigi) collapsing and fainting into the floor (that damn Bowser iris), But hey! the Game Over screen allows for more time, a little bit, to actually see Mario die, Clockwork Ruins Galaxy has a portion that has a top-view perspective so that was perfect. I let the Game Over screen to scroll, a bit more than I usually do, and then I proceed to reset my game, but then... surprise! my damn save file was saved, everything got ruined, unable to continue (I kill myself like 20 times) I had to delete all my game file. The following days, I tried to replace my Super Mario Galaxy 2 game file, but thanks to my dreadful meticulous way to play new games, I was unable to get past through Bowser Jr.'s Fiery Flotilla, particularly because I lost interest in the game. I was like "screw it!" and from that time on, I focused only on playing Mario Kart Wii or Super Smash Bros. Brawl online. It's not that I suck at the game but that I am unhappy with the direction my gameplay is taking when first playing it, should it fails, I need to restart, but should it succeeds, i need to be careful and not screw it like that time. A similar thing happened to me with Ocarina of Time 3D. Super Mario 3D Land is in a similar situation but more under control, I actually finished that game. Because I hate spoilers, as everybody, I don't play a new game (or more exactly, start a new save file) after I have completed the last one, now you can guess my situation: because of my inability to finish Super Mario Galaxy 2 as I want, I haven't played Kirby's Epic Yarn, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Super Mario-All Stars - Limited Edition, Kirby's Return to Dream Land and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.

But I still I hope one day, I will post in this topic that I have finally experience the challenge of the Grandmaster Galaxy, so everybody wish me luck. ;)
Be aware people, I don't suffer of OCD, not to that scale, it's more an ambitious problem.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:33 am

what the hell is wrong with you

Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:51 am
Site Moderator

MGN Username: Pochi
Quote:
Well, to de-stress me, I purposely kill Mario on purpose, I like the way Mario, or in this case Luigi (as he approach me in that galaxy to play with him), dies in the game

Stopped reading here

TwitterAsk
Kittenpuncher wrote:
imagine having sex with a clown though
instead of a dick he just has one of those flowers that shoots water out

Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:28 pm

I was expecting some to called me a sort of crazy sociopath.

Pochi, keep reading, there's a big plot twist at the end.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:36 am
Site Moderator

Byllant wrote:
I was expecting some to called me a sort of crazy sociopath.

I think we already did

TwitterAsk
Kittenpuncher wrote:

Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:30 am

MGN Username: Tid
Currently Playing: Deep™ The™ Game™
There is absolutely nothing impressive about beating a game with a zero death counter if you just reset every time you die. That's called savescumming and it doesn't take any more skill than just beating the game normally. I hope you aren't proud of the fact that you've basically just made it more tedious to beat the game normally.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:38 am
Site Moderator

Also, that is no reason for not playing other games, dude.

TwitterAsk
Kittenpuncher wrote:

Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:41 am
SSF2 Developer

MGN Username: ElvisDitto
Currently Playing: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire, Super Smash Bros Melee, Super Smash Bros 4, TF2, Super Smash Flash 2, Overwatch
Waifu: Applejack
So you want to play the game without dieing, but once you get stressed, you kill Mario on purpose?

You archive things not by NOT dieing, but by collecting stars and finishing levels.

Just have fun with it man.

Although, I understand OCD can cause strange things in the brain and make simple things like not washing your hands feel really wrong.

[8/02/2014 5:54:06 PM] TAC3: On 2/7/14, at 11:51 PM, Ya Dad wrote:
> ElvisDitto has a Ditto Safari : O

prime example of life doing things right

I love Geno

Last edited by ElvisDitto on Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:09 pm
YIM

let's hope he never plays Dark Souls

Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:15 pm
Site Moderator

Waifu: ElvisDitto
ElvisDitto wrote:
You archive things not by NOT dieing, but by collecting stars and finishing levels.

Speedruns or no-death runs can also be achievements of sorts, if you like that type of gameplay but I agree with you/Tid that he basically defeats the purpose of his supposedely 'no-death runs' by cheating and killing the character on purpose (for..... unsettling reasons, at that).

(you can now tweet mean things at me on Twitter @StevenEggplant)

Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:57 am

I try to keep my loss number in any game as low as possible, for Mario Kart for instance, it is preferable for me to have higher number for wins than losses, because it creates a more self-confident enthusiasm. It's about how I see my numbers, not the way they affect how I play my games, and keeping the death counter is the least important thing about SMG2, what I care is to actually finish the game, and in the second terms, having totally blank death counter. I achieved it with SM3DL! but I lost that game, so there's nothing to talk about it.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:45 am

it's just a video game. sit down and think about what you're doing with your life.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:55 am

Currently Playing: UNIST
this is almost physically painful to read
it's like playing a nuzlocke in pokemon but not releasing/storing away every KO'd pokemon

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:46 pm
YIM

Kuro Kagami wrote:
this is almost physically painful to read
it's like playing a nuzlocke in pokemon but not releasing/storing away every KO'd pokemon

It's something new, I didn't care for lost lives in the first Galaxy, I got over 180 deaths on that game with Mario, I got less with Luigi, about 120, but to match the numbers (and reach the count of 9999 star bits), I killed Luigi several times.

And guys, the hard thing is not to keep the death counter in zero (I simply reset the game and start over the mission). The hard thing is to getting started and pretend you don't know the moves, perform a move something or someone hasn't made me notion of, and it fails the game, but only on the first try. May sound stupid, and indeed it is, but that way I don't skip things, like dialogues, I'm supposed to read. I dig up for everything. For example, I cannot perform the triple jump until a signboard tells me I can. I play game like if I have never played it before, certainly painful and unecesary, but makes the game more enjoyable once this passes, it's only a matter of hours, but Galaxy 2 is certainly hard. I also got to reach a specific level when first playing it, like world 2. If I don't do this, I think I'm just wasting the effort for developers to actually teaching the stuff. That's the matter for Galaxy 2 only, in 3D Land, I'm free to perform any move, because there's no place someone tells me to do the move, well, maybe that tutorial level at the title screen. Yeah I'm somehow crazy. :sweat:

Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:58 am

Pretending you dont know the moves, and not using them until the game tells you about them is not hard in the slightest. And besides, theres nothing wrong with experimentation. A lot of people figure out how to do things before the game tells them about it. So it doesnt ruin the experience at all to be able to do the moves before you are told how to perform them. In fact, for many people, figuring out things on your own makes for a better experience rather than having the game telling how to do everything.

The only reason the developers put in instructions and tutorials in games is to teach players how to play the game, particularly people new to the game/series in question. Also to prevent players from getting stuck at times if its a plot point. Its not a waste if you dont make use of it, there are millions of other gamers in the world, its not wasted effort on the developers part.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:52 am
 [ 2471 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147 ... 165  Next