The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 3:16 pm

[ 4 posts ] 
HFF's sprites 

MGN Username: [BANNED]
Currently Playing: SSF2TAS
SPRITES YAY
First off, this isn't really a sprite but rather a ton of sprites put together in paint.net, but here's a cool wallpaper
inspired by a classic:

What I did is I went through each character and recolored the devs' wonderful works of art to make them fit in with this simplified style. I chose several sprites for each character, but some weren't good enough or didn't fit in with the final product. Here are all of them:

Mario: show

Luigi: show
The trail was made by using the sprites for his individual "puffs" and simplifying them and looking at the length of Misfire (and the proportions of the different "puff" sprites).

Peach: show
This project was started in 9b, when I only had 9b sprites to work with, so I had to make Peach look pretty. I think I did a pretty good job, but in the end, Beta came out and I didn't end up using this sprite. However...
Open up SSF2 and look at Peach's sprites. They're so shaded! It makes it impossible to choose/distinguish one color in particular from the rest. This isn't a bad thing, as Peach's sprites are very pretty. However, it does make it very difficult to simplify in the style that I did. In the end, I ended up taking a few bits from the 9b sprite, a few bits from this sprite, and the semi-corset from Melee and merged it all together to create a pretty recolor for an extra-pretty princess.

Bowser: show
Bowser was an adventure. When I first recolored him, I made the rims of his horns and spikes red.
I thought that maybe a darker color for the rims would look better, so I chose a darker color.
I thought this was cool, but then I checked the original wallpaper and realized that Simplified Melee Bowser doesn't have rims on his spikes, so I colored them the color of his spikes.
However, I wasn't quite satisfied with this. I decided to ask around on several Discords what people thought in hopes of getting advice. In the end, Red Rims won, so I deviated from the original wallpaper and let Bowser have red rims.

Yoshi: show

Wario: show
As I started this in 9b, I feel it's only appropriate for me to show you the recolor I had for Wario:
Hideous. I know. Fortunately, Beta came to the rescue, and I was allowed to pick between these four beauties:

Donkey Kong: show
That's actually the first one of these I did. Yup. I asked my good friend 27 if I should make it lighter, and he said "Yes." So I did:

Link: show
Link was annoying to recolor due to the outlines on his sprites. I had to take guesses and even delete some pixels. This would happen a lot more later, but this was my first time deleting pixels while doing this.
Fortunately, being a recolor, Link was easy enough to update to Beta.

Zelda: show
Had to get creative here since SSF2 Zelda is Brunette Zelda, not Blonde Zelda.

Pikachu: show
9b:
God that looked ugly. Beta to the rescue!

Jigglypuff: show
This was my 9b Jigglypuff sprite. Not the best.
The melee wallpaper had Jigglypuff with a small mouth. However, this looked bad.
This looked better, but just for s*** and giggles, I expanded the mouth a bit.
This looked better, so this was yet another deviation from the original wallpaper.

Captain Falcon: show
God Captain Falcon looks sexy as hell in this. I'm sorry, I just love the way he turned out.

Mr. Game and Watch: show

Kirby: show
Shield sprite but with a mouth didn't seem like it'd be as good a choice for the wallpaper as Dash attack endlag, so...

Meta-Knight: show

Bandana Dee: show
GOD I f*** LOVE BANDANA DEE
I had a hard time choosing which of these to include in the wallpaper, but I ended up going with Spear Toss.

Fox: show
I'M SORRY I MADE FOX LOOK LIKE A PUPPY
Oh also I edited his visor away

Falco: show
I also edited the visor away for this

Marth: show

Pit: show
Halfway through the second one, a friend asked me "Why is Pit so pale?" I palleted the different shades of his skin and showed said friend that it looks better pale. Either way, I went with the first one, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Samus: show

Zero Suit Samus: show
I went through and placed ZSS in different places with different sprites until I found a good match. 5th sprite.

Ness: show
Ness doesn't have a lying down seductively sprite, so I had to improvise and deviate from the original wallpaper.

Chibi-Robo: show
I decided to put Telly Vision in Pichu's place here. However, Telly Vision was hard to do because his default sprite is facing right, but I needed him to be facing left.
This was a recolor of his default sprite. This wouldn't do.
This is his default sprite flipped. As you can see, his weird circle thing under his left eye was now under his right eye. This would not do.
I edited the sprite to have the dish be on the left side. This didn't look good, so I moved it left slightly more.
This was much better.
Now for Chibi's sprites:
I was satisfied with all of these, so since Skailler/Cookies is the best (and only) Chibi main, I asked him what he thought. He told me he prefered the third one, so that's the one that went into the final product.

Isaac: show
Went with the last one to have a "swords touching" thing in the wallpaper.

Sonic: show
Here are the 9b sprites:
As usual, Beta makes everything better.
Initially, I made Sonic's sprites show his mouth. They were ugly, so I removed the mouths.
I ended up going with mouthless neutral stance.

Tails: show
The 9b sprites were actually kinda cute.
The Beta sprites were far from bad, though.
Ended up going with the 2nd Beta one because duh.

Black Mage: show
You know, I could've asked Corvid what sprite to put since he's the best black mage main...
But Forum Bros before Tier Hos; I asked Bedoop.

Sora: show
I asked Star what he thought, and he told me the second one's better, so I used it.

Mega Man: show
9b Sprites:
9b sprites weren't bad, but Beta sprites are superior as usual.
Ended up going with the first one because you can see Rock's hand better and because there was already too much in the sky.

Pac-Man: show
Ended up going with the first sprite, because the second one didn't look pixel-y enough to me, and the third one was out of place in that spot.

Lloyd: show
"OH GOD WHAT THE f***
"WHY
"OH OK SO THAT'S HOW LLOYD'S SWORDS WORK NOW. I SEE. f*** YOU, DEVS."
That was my initial reaction to seeing Lloyd's sprites in DAT___.ssf (Not saying the number because Nimbleo wouldn't like it).
So, let me explain for anyone who doesn't know how they work:
The swords are each 3 sprites: The frame, the filling, and the glowey effect. Lloyd himself doesn't have the swords in his hands in the sprites, they're simply pasted there during an animation.
This meant I had to do each sword seperately and put it all together in the end. f*** me.
Vorpal Sword:
Flamberge:
Lloyd:
Fortunately, the Vorpal Sword is perpendicular to Lloyd the way he holds it when he walks, so I could just fuse the two sprites.
With Flamberge, I waited until I knew how big I wanted Lloyd to be, and then I pasted it onto the enlarged sprite.

Bomberman: show

Ichigo: show
Chose the last one to make the "Swords touching" thing work.

Naruto: show
Went with the first one to fill in space. Put him where Ganondorf was on the original because Narutards were the Kings of Evil in 9b.

Luffy: show
Edited the second one's smile and used it.

Goku: show
I decided to put Goku where Mewtwo is in the original.

Sandbag: show
Who's side b could possibly keep up with Luigi's? Sandbag's, of course!

Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:18 pm

Waifu: zero suit wario
holy guacamoli this looks so friggin unique man!
I love this style.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:42 pm

I wish it was unique. It's inspired by something else tho lol

Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:25 pm

This style is really fun, so I did a new gif for my PFP.

Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:09 pm
 [ 4 posts ]