The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 16, 2020 2:06 am

Forum rules

DO NOT POST YOUR OWN UNFINISHED GAMES YOU'VE CREATED HERE!

To post about your own projects go here: viewforum.php?f=41

[ 2471 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 165  Next
Super Mario Bros. 

Currently Playing: Awesomenauts, SSBB, Project M
My personal favorite is the Fire Flower. It's in almost EVERY Mario game.

Also, I freaking hate NSMBW.

Mon May 02, 2011 7:15 pm

Kyuubit! wrote:
Genis wrote:
My personal favorite is the Fire Flower. It's in almost EVERY Mario game.

Also, I freaking hate NSMBW.

you only hate it because you have no friends to play it with

Please shut up, Kyuubit.

I hate NSMBW because of the crappy levels, the gay flying power up, and the sophisticated way of running.

Mon May 02, 2011 7:24 pm

Kyuubit! wrote:
and because you have no friends to play it with

I don't own the game. I play at my cousin's house.

Mon May 02, 2011 7:33 pm

Kyuubit! wrote:
Hey, buddy. Not my fault you don't have any friends~

I have a lot, thank you very much. If you're going to talk about Mario games, talk about them.

Anyway, back on topic:
Worst game?

Mon May 02, 2011 7:38 pm

Currently Playing: Pokemon Black, BlazBlue: Continuum Shift, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4, Marvel vs Capcom 3, and a bunch of old fighting games.
I loved NSMBW. The level design makes it challenging, especially with multiple people creating chaos. And I actually like the Propeller Cap better than the Leaf and Tanooki suits, actually.
Kyuubit! wrote:
Hey, buddy. Not my fault you don't have any friends~

Doesn't the fact that he only plays it at his cousin's house imply that every time he plays it, he's playing with a friend? Image
Genis wrote:
Anyway, back on topic:
Worst game?

I'm pretty sure that very few people here have actually played the Mario games deemed to be the worst.

Out of the ones I've played, I'm not very fond of Toadstool Tour or Sports Mix.

Mon May 02, 2011 10:28 pm

Currently Playing: Fire Emblem (6-9), Shadow Dragon, Infamous, SSB, GNT4
FroggyMan77 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that very few people here have actually played the Mario games deemed to be the worst.

Out of the ones I've played, I'm not very fond of Toadstool Tour or Sports Mix.

You just don't like Toadstool Tour because you sucked at it and blamed the controls for every missed shot :3

But yeah, I agree with you on Sprots Mix. That game was really painful to sit through...

Mon May 02, 2011 11:49 pm

Currently Playing: Pokemon Black, BlazBlue: Continuum Shift, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4, Marvel vs Capcom 3, and a bunch of old fighting games.
crabbyman66 wrote:
You just don't like Toadstool Tour because you sucked at it and blamed the controls for every missed shot :3

Because in a game like golf, that requires enormous amounts of precision, the controls should allow you to have that amount of precision. Just timing the A button on a fast moving scale does not amount to precision.

An analog control system, be it from an analog stick, or even the Wii Remote/Motion Plus, grants a much higher degree of precision that allows you to control your shots better and makes it actually feel more like you're playing golf.

Tue May 03, 2011 12:06 am

FroggyMan77 wrote:
crabbyman66 wrote:

Because in a game like golf, that requires enormous amounts of precision, the controls should allow you to have that amount of precision. Just timing the A button on a fast moving scale does not amount to precision.

An analog control system, be it from an analog stick, or even the Wii Remote/Motion Plus, grants a much higher degree of precision that allows you to control your shots better and makes it actually feel more like you're playing golf.

Most games aren't made to make it feel like what it is or should feel like.
Would you believe that in Brawl, everyone is fighting on a 2D vision when they could be smart (like the Pokemon Trainer) and step out of the 2D plane?

I honestly hate the Mario Party series and the Mario Sport games.
The minigames are repetitive, and sports don't fit a plumber.

Tue May 03, 2011 12:15 am

Currently Playing: Fire Emblem (6-9), Shadow Dragon, Infamous, SSB, GNT4
FroggyMan77 wrote:
crabbyman66 wrote:

The thing is, that type of precision isn't exactly necessary in this game. The game basically shows you how far back you need to swing for your back swing, and it's relatively easy time the swing to the center of the scale and put on necessary spin. The scale doesn't move that quickly; you just really sucked at timing...
(And weren't you playing as DK, a character who traded control for power?)

FroggyMan77 wrote:

I do feel that analog does allow for more control, yes. But the game does give you enough control over your shot and enough precision for a player to hit the shot they want. You talk as if where the ball goes is completely random...

Genis wrote:
I honestly hate the Mario Party series and the Mario Sport games.
The minigames are repetitive, and sports don't fit a plumber.

I don't really find Mario Party that fun either. I really don't get the appeal of the series. I can sit through a couple of rounds, but the games get really boring, really fast.

And have you player Super Strikers Charged or any of the tennis games? That might change your opinion of the sports games.

Last edited by Crabby on Tue May 03, 2011 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 03, 2011 12:28 am
Site Moderator

Genis wrote:
and sports don't fit a plumber.

So does constantly saving a princess and the world.

Tue May 03, 2011 12:32 am

Genis wrote:
Most games aren't made to make it feel like what it is or should feel like.
Would you believe that in Brawl, everyone is fighting on a 2D vision when they could be smart (like the Pokemon Trainer) and step out of the 2D plane?

And, the main point goes over your head. Whoosh.

My main complaint is the lack of precision you have in a game that requires it, not the fact that it's not a full simulation of golf. Obviously, the fact that your using a controller throws that notion out the window.
crabbyman66 wrote:
The thing is, that type of precision isn't exactly necessary in this game. The game basically shows you how far back you need to swing for your back swing, and it's relatively easy time the swing to the center of the scale and put on necessary spin.

Precision is very necessary. It's golf. The game where if you mess up just a tiny amount, you end up in the sand bunker. So you should have total control over your swing, instead of the halfassed control Toadstool Tour has. Almost all analog-controlled golf games also give you the same tools that Toadstool Tour does, with how much power you need to put in your swing, the wind, your approximate distance, etc. Except these games actually give you the tools to put this information to use and make accurate swings most of the time.

Granted, it is possible to adapt to the crappy controls after enough time. But you shouldn't have to do that. Getting proficient with bad controls doesn't change the fact that they're bad controls.

I don't think you could even do practice swings in Toadstool Tour. You can't even swing on empty grass to test you accuracy and precision. What a load of bull. What a complete disregard for precise controls in favor of archaic system mechanics from the NES era that don't hold up today. (Not to say that NES-originating gameplay as a whole doesn't hold up; it's just that this one in particular doesn't.)
Quote:
The scale doesn't move that quickly; you just really sucked at timing...
(And weren't you playing as DK, a character who traded control for power?)

It moves fast enough. And the timing you need to land on that small dot is small. When my shot goes erratic, it should be because I manually overestimated the spin, or I manually undershot. It shouldn't be because "OHCRAPOHCRAPTHEBARISCOMINGCLOSERGOTTAPRESSABUTTONOHDARNIMISSEDBYAPIXELANDNOWMYSHOTGOESWAYLEFT." It shouldn't be because I missed a quick time event. And that's mostly what this game is, anyway. The entire gameplay is quick time events.
FroggyMan77 wrote:
I do feel that analog does allow for more control, yes. But the game does give you enough control over your shot and enough precision for a player to hit the shot they want. You talk as if where the ball goes is completely random...

Then why not give them more control? You're admitting that the precision could be improved, so why not do it? Give the player real, full control over their swing instead of having to hope they pressed the button at the exact time.

Tue May 03, 2011 1:09 am

crabbyman66 wrote:
And have you player Super Strikers Charged or any of the tennis games? That might change your opinion of the sports games.

I've played Super Strikers Charged before, and it's... ok, I guess.
I also played the tennis games, but I HATED them.

Tue May 03, 2011 8:51 am

Genis wrote:
crabbyman66 wrote:

The Hell? I enjoyed Mario Power Tennis.

Tue May 03, 2011 2:41 pm

Kyubisora wrote:
Genis wrote:
crabbyman66 wrote:

It's not my type, I guess...

Tue May 03, 2011 8:08 pm

MGN Username: Byllant
Currently Playing: A lot of Nintendo games as if there's no end.
Genis wrote:
Kyubisora wrote:
Genis wrote:
crabbyman66 wrote:

It's not my type, I guess...

The series I don't like is Mario Golf.

Wed May 04, 2011 4:46 pm
 [ 2471 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 165  Next