The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 5:24 pm

[ 8 posts ] 
Crossover Fighting Game made on Unity(Needs artists!) 

I wanna make something fun, for everyone to play and with no intention of profit.
It would be made to celebrate the history of video-games, with different characters from lots of franchises. The way Card Sagas Wars would if it was released.
So I started prototyping some things on Unity and now I'm starting to think that this can actually become a real project, so let's put the cards on the table:

About me:
I'm a C# programmer, with plenty of experience in game programming and design.
I'm pretty young though, so even if I don't have any big published game, I've got some games on Kongregate(Links on my sig).
I want this game to be something fun to develop since I'm doing it on my free time, and the people on the forum to test it, give it content suggestions, and ideas on tweaking it.
I'll post lots of prototypes during the whole process, cuz that's what I always do on every game I develop(testing is reeeally essential).

MECHANICS AND CURRENT CHARACTERS ON THE WORK:
Link

PROTOTYPE:
Don't forget to read the .txt that comes with it! Fully playable only with a joystick for now.
Download Link

What do I need from you:
Basically, ARTISTS.
The artists will need to define a visual identity for all of them to work over.
There's going to be a lot of work, and even if you aren't able to dedicate much of your time for this, it's ok, cuz I also won't be able to.

Everybody's participation!
We are all(not only the team, but the whole forum)going to be game designers and testers during the whole process, and I'm sure it's going to be fun(I'm seriously working on this during my free time).
We'll decide the characters and stages with polls and change mechanics according to suggestions. What's gonna come out from it will surely be very creative.

Project Specifications:

- Art Direction: Pixel Art, Retro Style
As it is a homage to the history of video games.
- Gameplay Style: 2D Arena Battler
The game's objective will be depleting the enemy's HP by using different types of attacks. These, besides damaging, may launch and/or temporary stun for some time, allowing the chaining of combos, Dissidia Final Fantasy-like. It won't have as much maneuverability as Smash Bros, as the latter is totally focused on the arena aspect.

Anyway, questions? volunteers? :D

Sea Recon, a stealth underwater adventure.

Holy Chicken, a casual bullet hell.

Last edited by Chadin on Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:52 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:28 pm
Site Moderator

Waifu: ElvisDitto
Heya, and welcome to MG.

This isn't really the section to request art assets, but I'll leave that aside for now to offer some advice instead;
If you want people to join your project it may be good to give some insight in the scope of the project. There have been million fan-made fighting crossover games that have all failed because the scope was too big to handle for small developement teams. It may be good to start out small if you haven't already and inform people what they can expect if they join your team.

Good luck with your project.

(you can now tweet mean things at me on Twitter @StevenEggplant)

Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:42 pm

Hiya, and thanks for the heads-up! What section would be the right one?

As for the scope, I prefer this to be the kind of project that just gets content added over time without any major deadline(as this is not being done for profit) and gets updated according to the team's pace.
Just like Smash Flash, I would keep releasing new versions as new content is added.
The download link for the first prototype is up there now.

Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:57 pm

Currently Playing: SSF2... duh.
Well, the idea seems interesting. I honestly would have to see more on how this game will be directed, kinda what Steven said, maybe more of the core fundamentals of your project like gameplay finished (and should I ask, direction of artstyle; sprited, vector art, ect) and I may consider assistance if needed. The demo is nice, but rather barebone, although it is still early development I know. Either way, I wish you good luck with your project.

Here's some of my spritework I did~. Image
Find more at my thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=42479

Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:05 pm

I didn't write the gameplay fundamentals because I wanted people to give suggestions, but I see your point.
I gotta start somewhere, so I'll write the initial gameplay core mechanics as soon as I create them.

Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:09 am

Currently Playing: SSF2... duh.
Well, you did mention the likes of CSW (Card Saga Wars), Smash Bros, and other games as supposed references for your game, and from the demo, I get a more direct SSB styled approach and it seems to work fine for a start. If I had to suggest something, would this game be more for the combo system (aka Street Fighter / CSW) or more like the Smash Bros style? Since CSW never got released to my knowledge, seeing a game like that resurface again (but hopefully actually finished this time) would make for a nice callback and direction worth considering for your project. Just to give some feedback on the matter.

Here's some of my spritework I did~. Image
Find more at my thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=42479

Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:05 am

Thanks for the feedback!
I think it would be based on a combo system, like you said, but in a more casual way, like in an arena battler.
With "more casual way", I mean that there won't be thousands of attacks and ways to connect them with each other to create difficult to execute combos like Street Fighter. Combos will come out more naturally as in Dissidia. Attacks will be easier to execute but the gameplay will still have depth. Terrain will be important somehow, too.
The demo, as you said, is totally SSB until now, but I intend to change that.

Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:25 pm

== UPDATE ==

I've posted a link to a doc with some attack mechanics explained. Also, the character I'm currently working on.
Soon I'll have a new working demo.

Still looking for artists!

Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:55 pm
 [ 8 posts ]