The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 11:38 pm

[ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 36  Next
McLeodgaming Mafia XI [Pick Your Poison] 

MGN Username: Tid
Currently Playing: Deep™ The™ Game™
That depends. Remember that they can kill in addition to us lynching. Not so bad to go an eye for an eye in terms of lynching if they then also kill on both of the days we lynch.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:14 pm

MGN Username: Nixter
Currently Playing: Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Believeblood wrote:
An eye for an eye is completely stupid when planned from the mafia perspective, especially do to the lack of members that the mafia have. I really thought you were going to be an active member(maybe it's because you respond to my "let's not rush a lynch" post and you even personally said you were going to.)
Also why would I want to make you and I look like scum if I'm innocent, that would make absolutely no sense unless I thought you were a scum, which I didn't. The fact that you would vote me off for your own good does kind of unsettles me though.
Also if I was mafia there is no way I would ever put myself in such a risky position especially since doing your eye for an eye trick is pointless.

I'm not rushing, I'm actually taking into account that you could have potentially set me up. Also, 'were' and 'is' are two totally different things, and that's exactly my point, making us both look like scum would be very, very stupid indeed. And if say you and I were both going to get the boot, if you were scum, you'd be doing or job, if you were not scum, then you chose your words poorly, which is something you never do, ever.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:53 pm

Nixter wrote:
Believeblood wrote:
An eye for an eye is completely stupid when planned from the mafia perspective, especially do to the lack of members that the mafia have. I really thought you were going to be an active member(maybe it's because you respond to my "let's not rush a lynch" post and you even personally said you were going to.)
Also why would I want to make you and I look like scum if I'm innocent, that would make absolutely no sense unless I thought you were a scum, which I didn't. The fact that you would vote me off for your own good does kind of unsettles me though.
Also if I was mafia there is no way I would ever put myself in such a risky position especially since doing your eye for an eye trick is pointless.

I'm not rushing, I'm actually taking into account that you could have potentially set me up. Also, 'were' and 'is' are two totally different things, and that's exactly my point, making us both look like scum would be very, very stupid indeed. And if say you and I were both going to get the boot, if you were scum, you'd be doing or job, if you were not scum, then you chose your words poorly, which is something you never do, ever.

Look I just woke up, so I'll try to piece together what you have just said right here.
You're saying that if I'm mafia then giving you the boot while sacrificing myself would be doing my job. Yeah...no.
If I was a mafia then I could have easily waited to ride on Tid's interogation against you instead of trying to take matters into my own hands. I could have easily waited for someone to look suspicious and jumped on board as soon as possible. Giving you the boot whiling sacrificing myself would be doing my job poorly which I would have never done if I was a mafia.

Tid wrote:
That depends. Remember that they can kill in addition to us lynching. Not so bad to go an eye for an eye in terms of lynching if they then also kill on both of the days we lynch.

I'm surprise you would say something like this Tid. When playing as a mafia it is important to think of survival first. That means waiting for other people to make accusations so YOU can jump onto it. Not getting killed like a moron on the second day,especially since numbers of mafia members are essential to winning the game faster and having a higher rate of success. In other words if you get one day of mislynches, one night of kills, and one day of correct lynches. Then the first day might as well have been a random lynch or no lynch and it would have still been better for the mafia. In other words an eye for an eye is still stupid when looking from the mafia's perspective.

The post the both of you have put against me look very poor. I'm calling mafia on Tid, though Nixter I'm not very sure. Even though his argument were poor he is still(in my book) very new to mafia. He also hasn't had much experience in the past when playing as town, so this could be just a result of being a new participating town member(In the last game where he was town he was replaced, and the game before when he was town he barely talked, ergo he doesn't have much experience actually talking as a town.)

I do agree with one thing Nixter said though. Usually if I'm a town I would have never played poorly, the only reason I could think of is if it was... intentional. ;)

Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:26 am

Believeblood wrote:
Tid wrote:

I'm surprise you would say something like this Tid. When playing as a mafia it is important to think of survival first. That means waiting for other people to make accusations so YOU can jump onto it. Not getting killed like a moron on the second day,especially since numbers of mafia members are essential to winning the game faster and having a higher rate of success. In other words if you get one day of mislynches, one night of kills, and one day of correct lynches. Then the first day might as well have been a random lynch or no lynch and it would have still been better for the mafia. In other words an eye for an eye is still stupid when looking from the mafia's perspective.

Not at all. While you're correct in that a mafia player is required to be much more survival orientated than a townie, you'd be wrong if you thought there was never a reason for one to sacrafice himself. Imagine they did go for this eye for an eye trick. By that I mean they make it clear that they are mafia, but also imply an innocent townie to be their partner. After two days, we would have lynched the both of them, and on both of those two nights, they would have killed two townies. That's three CONFIRMED town kills and only one maf kill, putting them in a much better position. For them, that's definitely preferable to us random lynching twice, or not lynching at all, as non lynching drops the town death rate, and random lynching puts any of the maf at risk twice.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:43 am

Tid wrote:
Believeblood wrote:
Tid wrote:

Not at all. While you're correct in that a mafia player is required to be much more survival orientated than a townie, you'd be wrong if you thought there was never a reason for one to sacrafice himself. Imagine they did go for this eye for an eye trick. By that I mean they make it clear that they are mafia, but also imply an innocent townie to be their partner. After two days, we would have lynched the both of them, and on both of those two nights, they would have killed two townies. That's three CONFIRMED town kills and only one maf kill, putting them in a much better position. For them, that's definitely preferable to us random lynching twice, or not lynching at all, as non lynching drops the town death rate, and random lynching puts any of the maf at risk twice.

Tid, this is how the kill order would go. Using the eye for an eye trick
(Mislynch day one, mafia kill night on, correct lynch day 2, mafia kill night 2)
Number of town deaths: 3 Number of mafia deaths: 1
However on both of the nights the mafia would have gotten a kill anyways, regardless of the eye for an eye scenario you put out.

If there had been no lynches on both day one and two this would have happened
(No lynch day one,mafia kill night one, nolynch day 2, mafia kill night 2)
Number of town deaths:2 Number of mafia deaths: 0
As you see the mafia still had only one less kill then they would have if they had tried the eye for an eye trick which isn't very much. They also still have their mafia member as well, which is very important for the mafia. After all 3 to 5 is much better for the mafia then 2 to 4.

But that's assuming that no lynch would happen. If the mafia played smart and didn't go all kamikaze then this would happen.
Mislynch day one, mafia night kill, no lynch day 2, mafia night kill
Number of town deaths:3 Number of mafia deaths:0
Now I don't need to explain which one is more beneficial and this is assuming that the town doesn't mislynch on one of the days.

In other words the eye for an eye trick is stupid because the mafia would have been better off even with 2 no lynches.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:10 am

Currently Playing: FE6-8, Radiant Historia, TWEWY
For the same reason, the mafia would not pick a role that can reduce their numbers, like the vigilante. The disadvantage in numbers is far too glaring for a mafia member to just go and sacrifice them self.

Should a mafia try to drag a townie down with him on Day 1:
Day 1: Mafia lynch.
Night 1: Town kill.
Day 2: Town lynch.(Suspected of being a maf partner)
Night 2: Town kill.

As you can see, it just won't work for the mafia(I'm not taking into account PRs, however. Highly unlikely there's a vig, so the kills shouldn't be affected too much.) There's 3 mafia and seven town in this game, according to the setup guidelines. By the ends of this scenario, the mafia would stand at two members, while the town would stand at four. That is still quite bad odds for the mafia.

However, bussing could still work for the mafia, cementing their place in the town, and gaining credibility.

Sig courtesy of Arthur: eternally grateful.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:46 am

Currently Playing: Dota 2, CSGO, MGSV
two versus four is still quite good if the mafia can off one more player and kill him the next day.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:10 am

Currently Playing: Dota 2, CSGO, MGSV
Sorry worded that wrong, *considering the mafia could off one townie and lynch another the next day.*

Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:11 am

Yeah, that's the thing you're missing. Look I'm not saying the eye for an eye would be perfect for them, or even necessarily beneficial in all instances. I'm just trying to establish a shared understanding with you that there are reasons they could go for that tactic. Remember that the other possibilities have an if involved. IF the town swings that way. The eye for an eye has that guarantee of three town kills, and it would 100% go like that (of course it won't right now because we're all discussing this right now and if anyone even looks like they might be bussing a little we're going to be on them).

The other possibilities are more ideal but also more difficult to swing us, the town, towards.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:42 am

So yeah, an eye for an eye IS a very liable option, and I don't want to die, y'know.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:48 am

Dephius wrote:
two versus four is still quite good if the mafia can off one more player and kill him the next day.

2 versus 4 is not as good as 3 versus 5. Which again would have occurred even if 2 no lynches were made.

I still fail how you guys see the eye for an eye trick as a smart action, swaying the town towards no lynch looks a whole easier, especially considering that all you would need to do is post your two cent every once in a while, without making yourself that suspicious(hell it could even lead to a mislynch.)

Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:44 pm
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: Dota 2, BoI: Rebirth, Fallout 4, Bloodborne, MGSV
Gotta say I'm with BB on this one. It just doesn't seem to me that the Mafia would go for this eye for an eye tactic. Why would they want to get one of their own guys killed so early in the game? It does make more sense for the Mafia to try to get the town to no-lynch.

AMA

Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:43 pm

But an eye for an eye this early is GREAT, it would cause confusion most likely and then a townie is already dead! We don't exactly have much to go off of ATM, and an eye for and eye would be skimming potential information and stuff.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:23 pm

I'm really confused. What are we doing?

Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:31 pm
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: Dota 2, BoI: Rebirth, Fallout 4, Bloodborne, MGSV
@nixter. My point is, there are plenty of other ways for the Mafia to kill a townie WITHOUT outing one of their own.
@lucina. Honestly, I don't remember how this started or why it really matters. We've just been discussing roles the Mafia might choose and now I guess we're talking about potential Mafia strategies?

AMA

Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:45 pm
 [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 36  Next