The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 8:07 pm

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Why Are People Saying This Game is Slower like Smash 4 

It feels just as fast as 9b if not faster in most cases. Im not sure what people are on about. If anyone knows and has facts as to why Beta is slower than 9b, please say, because I don't feel it.

Though that could be because I play new :ichigo: and :falco:

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:18 am

More landing lag.

Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:30 am

bunq wrote:
More landing lag.

That's it?

That seems like too small a change to see all the complaining I see.

Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:11 am
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
One way that Beta is objectively slower than 9b is the way running out of a crouch has been modified. If you want to run out of crouch, you have to either spend one frame in an idle stance (which drastically slows down half-circle dashing, a common movement technique in 9b) or you have to go straight from pressing down to pressing left/right without pressing the diagonal angle between down and whichever direction you are trying to go. Since the latter is near impossible for the typical player, repeated dash cancels are much slower (particularly for controller users, as letting a stick reset to zero for only one frame is much harder than letting go of a keyboard button for only one frame).

Youtube: NinjaLobsterStudios
Stream: twitch.tv/ninjalobster

Click to expand thumbnail

Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:49 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Suli Hyuga
Changes to run inputs, higher short hops on a ton of characters, extra endlag.

Those things add up to the point where it mechanically and visually looks/feels slower.

My YouTube page! Subscribe! (Currently on hiatus)
My twitter!

Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:07 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
Also, people's punish games are across-the-board worse than they used to be, because people will need time to regain their skill at the things that have changed. Overall worse punishes makes the game feel slower.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:38 pm

MGN Username: moGi
Currently Playing: MGR:R, GE3, etc MHXX
Waifu: Lancer Arthuria P.
tl;dr it isn't Maylay

black keys will be removed in the future anyways

*sniff*

Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:39 pm

MGN Username: Zalozis Zemsis
Currently Playing: Gundam Wing: Endless Dual | Melty Blood: Actress Again Current Code | Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Starkiller wrote:
One way that Beta is objectively slower than 9b is the way running out of a crouch has been modified. If you want to run out of crouch, you have to either spend one frame in an idle stance (which drastically slows down half-circle dashing, a common movement technique in 9b) or you have to go straight from pressing down to pressing left/right without pressing the diagonal angle between down and whichever direction you are trying to go. Since the latter is near impossible for the typical player, repeated dash cancels are much slower (particularly for controller users, as letting a stick reset to zero for only one frame is much harder than letting go of a keyboard button for only one frame).

Are you playing with Direct-Input controller? Because this doesn't happen with Keyboards; meaning, you won't suffer this if you use a key-to-controller program.

At the same time: this change with dashing wasn't a necessary one. I understand it to bring more "input skill" and prevent frame-perfect dashes after any other action (like perfect Dash Chain-Fthrows), but it doesn't elevate skill-ceiling in competitive-play to completely warrant the change. And it largely hurts controller-players more than keyboard.

As for gameplay paced: Also have to acknowledge we have more zoners, and zoning in-general becoming more relevant in the meta from invincible projectiles. This is allowing characters with mild zoning (i.e., Mario) to safely zone for longer perieds, and actual zoners (i.e., Issac, Link), can do strict keep-away with minimal offensive. Not entire overpowered, but even if you understand counter-play, match-ups easily can drag-on reaching 6-7 minutes.

This game has the offensiveness, movement-speed, combo punishes to be really fast-paced, but is overshadowed by some characters options and engine flaws.

Luigi Movement, Cancel, Tech, etc.
YouTube Video:
SSF2 Google Drive
". . . Emphasis . . . of players helping one-another"

Last edited by Z A L O on Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:41 pm

MGN Username: KingPawn
Currently Playing: SSF2
Another thing that makes it slower(ig?) is the transcendant projectiles- meaning characters like pit, samus, and mario will benefit from this and will be able to camp you out better.

Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:51 am

C-Can we just go back?

Please?

Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:38 am

MGN Username: moGi
Currently Playing: MGR:R, GE3, etc MHXX
Waifu: Lancer Arthuria P.
wat did he min by dis?

black keys will be removed in the future anyways

*sniff*

Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:45 am
BR Member

MGN Username: KarmaPilcrow
Currently Playing: the waiting game
Waifu: Furry trash.
FutureMac wrote:
C-Can we just go back?

Please?

:marth:

Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:15 pm

MGN Username: RavinRaven
Currently Playing: SSF2, The Game of Love
Waifu: Luna (Gwain Saga)
More landing lag, plus slower getup after failed techs makes for a slower game. I don't think SSF2 is as slow as Brawl, or even Sm4sh, but it's definitely not as fast as Melee.

Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:26 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
Can someone actually analyze the landing lag in this game? Is it actually significantly slower on average than in Melee?

TBH, game speed is nearly entirely matchup-dependent. How much of Melee's game speed is due to the fact that the two best characters are also the fastest in the game? If Puff and Samus were #1 and #2, the game would be a lot slower.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:37 pm

TheCodeSamurai wrote:
Can someone actually analyze the landing lag in this game? Is it actually significantly slower on average than in Melee?

TBH, game speed is nearly entirely matchup-dependent. How much of Melee's game speed is due to the fact that the two best characters are also the fastest in the game? If Puff and Samus were #1 and #2, the game would be a lot slower.

Well put; I was going to point this out myself that those characters in Melee that are most seen are the fastest characters in the game (typically).

And wavedashing adds another component of perceived speed that SSF2 simply doesn't have. But I would argue a lot of what makes Melee fast can also make it unreadable to a certain extent. SSF2 v0.9b also had this problem for certain characters with very low landing lag, high dash speed, and relatively fast frames across the board.

Beta feels readable, which is more friendly for new players to get competitive with and for people to watch. But that doesn't change the capacity of this game to be played at a high level.

Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:30 pm
 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next