The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 2:50 pm

[ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 18  Next
Donkey Kong 

MGN Username: gEmssbguy13
Currently Playing: Smash Bros, FNaF, Undertale, GMod, Delver, Xenoblade, ect...
TheCodeSamurai wrote:
DK's main problems for me are comboability (although nair and uspec do alleviate this a little), a recovery that some characters can really exploit, and the biggest one, a bad approach against characters that can outzone him. He has a difficult time approaching: nair is decent, but is punishable on block and whiff; fair is completely unusable as an approach unless you make the read of a lifetime; bair is a decent approach, but you can see it coming from a mile away; nspec is punishable if you miss and has startup. I think he really struggles with Link, Samus, Megaman, Ichigo, and, most of all, Black Mage.

One more thing I want to get off my chest: DK's up-B is not invincible from projectiles. The vast majority of projectiles can be spaced to beat it, and some can just outprioritize it. The start is the only time where it won't be hit by projectiles. The super armor doesn't really matter, because it only is in effect for a tiny bit of the up-B.

IMO, based mostly on the above, DK is high tier, no more. He has good matchups against floaties and close-range fighters, has a really tough time with zoning characters that outrange him, and is even with characters that can overcome a range disadvantage with disjoints, gimps, or combos.

It's possible, I do beat many DK's on a regular basis with Fox and MK.

Still believe he's top tier though, his punch is just too much for most. I literally 3 stock people with DK just because of this
punch killing at like 20%.

Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:54 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
gEmssbguy13 wrote:
TheCodeSamurai wrote:
DK's main problems for me are comboability (although nair and uspec do alleviate this a little), a recovery that some characters can really exploit, and the biggest one, a bad approach against characters that can outzone him. He has a difficult time approaching: nair is decent, but is punishable on block and whiff; fair is completely unusable as an approach unless you make the read of a lifetime; bair is a decent approach, but you can see it coming from a mile away; nspec is punishable if you miss and has startup. I think he really struggles with Link, Samus, Megaman, Ichigo, and, most of all, Black Mage.

One more thing I want to get off my chest: DK's up-B is not invincible from projectiles. The vast majority of projectiles can be spaced to beat it, and some can just outprioritize it. The start is the only time where it won't be hit by projectiles. The super armor doesn't really matter, because it only is in effect for a tiny bit of the up-B.

IMO, based mostly on the above, DK is high tier, no more. He has good matchups against floaties and close-range fighters, has a really tough time with zoning characters that outrange him, and is even with characters that can overcome a range disadvantage with disjoints, gimps, or combos.

Still believe he's top tier though, his punch is just too much for most. I literally 3 stock people with DK just because of this

Is this online? Online is a lot different than offline, and I think that if they made an online tier list DK would be near the top for sure. However, I think the punch is a lot easier to get around in person then it is over the Internet. You can look at DK in other Smash games: punches are really rare to land except off of certain workhorse grab combos and uair, and they are almost never landed raw. I don't think the addition of the super armor really makes the attack that much better. I'm certainly fine with the attack being toned down, because I think it makes lightweights' lives hell if they get hit with it (Jigglypuff can almost never Rest because it's insta-death from the punish if she whiffs, for example), but I think that it's not OP, especially considering that his kill game is already so good. I ultimately think that even with the game as balanced as it is, no character can be top tier if they have bad matchups against the chars I mentioned earlier: I think the best character, once metagame develops more, will have very few, if any, bad matchups (40-60 or worse).

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:07 pm

TheCodeSamurai wrote:
gEmssbguy13 wrote:
TheCodeSamurai wrote:

Is this online? Online is a lot different than offline, and I think that if they made an online tier list DK would be near the top for sure. However, I think the punch is a lot easier to get around in person then it is over the Internet. You can look at DK in other Smash games: punches are really rare to land except off of certain workhorse grab combos and uair, and they are almost never landed raw. I don't think the addition of the super armor really makes the attack that much better. I'm certainly fine with the attack being toned down, because I think it makes lightweights' lives hell if they get hit with it (Jigglypuff can almost never Rest because it's insta-death from the punish if she whiffs, for example), but I think that it's not OP, especially considering that his kill game is already so good. I ultimately think that even with the game as balanced as it is, no character can be top tier if they have bad matchups against the chars I mentioned earlier: I think the best character, once metagame develops more, will have very few, if any, bad matchups (40-60 or worse).

True, but gimme a good idea who this top tier is. I'm curious at this point who you're leaning at.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:20 am
BR Member

@gEmssbguy13 (to stop the nested quotes):
At this point it's hard to say, especially given how balanced the game is. The first week it came out, I thought Chibi-Robo was OP and that Ichigo was the worst character in the game. However, as of right now, I think a rough tier list is as follows:
In no order within tiers:
S Tier
MK
Yoshi
A Tier
DK
Link
BM
Fox
Mario
Ichigo
Sora
B Tier
Marth
Peach
ZSS
Samus
Lloyd
Tails
Goku
Captain Falcon
C Tier
Naruto
Sheik
Sonic
Pikachu
Kirby
D Tier
Chibi-Robo
Megaman
Ness
Bomberman
Wario
Jigglypuff

Again, I want to stress that this is 50% conjecture and guesswork. I have never seen many of these character utilized to their fullest and some undoubtedly are better than what I give them credit for. I stand by, however, that my two top tiers are the best in the game, by a decent margin.

For Doom:
For Kicks:

Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:56 pm

MGN Username: sparty88
Yoshi? I think tier lists are totally arbitrary at this point. The game is crazy balanced and there is competitive viability in every character other than Jiggs, Bomberman and probably Megaman. Did you construct it based on a character's ceiling or how easy they are to be competitive with? I think it's a pretty solid list, but my biggest gripe is Pika, Sheik and Wario being so low. Those characters have way more potential than the ones you lumped them with, it's just that so few people are using them the right way.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:25 pm

TheCodeSamurai wrote:
At this point it's hard to say, especially given how balanced the game is. The first week it came out, I thought Chibi-Robo was OP and that Ichigo was the worst character in the game. However, as of right now, I think a rough tier list is as follows:
S Tier
MK
Yoshi
A Tier
DK
Link
BM
Fox
Mario
Ichigo
Sora
B Tier
Marth
Peach
ZSS
Samus
Lloyd
Tails
Goku
Captain Falcon
C Tier
Naruto
Sheik
Sonic
Pikachu
Kirby
D Tier
Chibi-Robo
Megaman
Ness
Bomberman
Wario
Jigglypuff

Again, I want to stress that this is 50% conjecture and guesswork. I have never seen many of these character utilized to their fullest and some undoubtedly are better than what I give them credit for. I stand by, however, that my two top tiers are the best in the game, by a decent margin.

I agree with spartys comment about tiers being arbitrary at this point - not enough meta game has been discovered.....I do have to comment though.....this has to be the most random tier list I have ever seen. Lol, no offense...

MGID:slaypes
Clan: Fort Albert

Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:04 pm

Well the people who need to be at the top generally are on his list. I disagree with Sora and think he's overrated (no real approach options). BM is a little overrated. Link is just campy. I don't think he has a very high ceiling but even a novice can pick him up and start edge guarding people from across the stage. It makes me cringe seeing him that high. All of his B's seem right and pretty much all of them have A potential. I agree with the C's and D's, too, but Sheik, Pika and Wario need to be bumped up. They are all too good in the air to be that low.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:32 pm

MGN Username: Zalozis Zemsis
Currently Playing: Gundam Wing: Endless Dual | Melty Blood: Actress Again Current Code | Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Yoshi 2nd top? Wario second to last? And Ichigo, Lloyd, and Tails aren't in the top 10.

Are you being completely series four realz?

I don't think a full tier-list would be possible at this time. A top 5-10 could be possible. Because there's definitely 10 or so characters who are a full step ahead of everyone else. And Jigglypuff is at least a step behind of everything.

Luigi Movement, Cancel, Tech, etc.
YouTube Video:
SSF2 Google Drive
". . . Emphasis . . . of players helping one-another"

Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:55 pm

Technically, a Tier list should only indicate the average placement of a certain character in tournament. So unless you have results to back it up, I'm calling BS on that.

Now, if it were a matchup list, I'd say... it's still a lot of BS, because Wario and Shiek are too low. Shiek is at least B tier. Maybe even low A. And if Side-B was Wario's only move, he'd still be. like, a High C.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:03 pm
BR Member

Dear God...
I totally agree that the meta is super shallow right now, and we're all in the days of C-sticking Marths. This is in no way me saying that have experience with Wario, or Pika, or Sheik. I gave what I thought was a rough marker of the game as I thought of it. Obviously there is a ton wrong with it: just look at the placements of Jigglypuff in the Melee tier lists: he was considered unviable for a long time until meta developed that appreciated the insane power of Rest and the Wall of Pain. If people far better at Smash than I am still consistently got the placement of certain characters wrong to this day (the current tier list doesn't reflect the growing opinion that Yoshi is viable, for example), then obviously I'm going to have some errors, especially considering I can't play the entire cast at a competitive level. I'm actually pretty psyched that people more or less agree with my tier list with regards to the top, because I expected someone to say "DK is SS Tier!" at least once :P. I am nowhere near arrogant or presumptuous enough to assume that my current meta knowledge reflects the absolute placements of characters and their potential. So many characters have tons of potential that isn't being utilized: Goku, Yoshi, and Tails are some of the characters that I think could become really good if people devoted a lot of time to them, a la aMSa or Mew2King in brawl.

tl;dr
I totally agree with people saying that I don't have enough information or insight to make a tier list. I was just answering a question on who I thought were the best characters in the game, and I'm actually really glad that TSON hasn't told me why I'm completely wrong about everything and Jigglypuff is OP.

For Doom:
For Kicks:

Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:02 pm

TheCodeSamurai wrote:
I'm actually really glad that TSON hasn't told me why I'm completely wrong about everything and Jigglypuff is OP.

I lold.

MGID:slaypes
Clan: Fort Albert

Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:02 pm
Site Admin

MGN Username: [TSON]
Currently Playing: with myself
sparty88 wrote:
Yoshi? I think tier lists are totally arbitrary at this point. The game is crazy balanced and there is competitive viability in every character other than Jiggs, Bomberman and probably Megaman.

omg you were doing soooo good i was a proud dad until you said bomberman and mega man aren't viable : (

bottom 2 are definitely jiggly and chibi robo, the middle is a big mess, like you said, everyone is viable including jiggly and chibi tbh, not big gaps. then I think top is MK and DK, and (debatably) Peach due to turnip bug.

with the patch coming i don't think it's a good time to be worrying about tiers due to the balance bugs but yeah if i had to do one right now it'd look something like that.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:54 pm

I've played a good Chibi, though. A couple of them. I've never seen even a decent Bomberman or Megaman. Doesn't mean they don't exist, but I don't have a lot to go on with those two.

Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:21 am

TheCodeSamurai wrote:
S Tier
MK
Yoshi
A Tier
DK
Link
BM
Fox
Mario
Ichigo
Sora
B Tier
Marth
Peach
ZSS
Samus
Lloyd
Tails
Goku
Captain Falcon
C Tier
Naruto
Sheik
Sonic
Pikachu
Kirby
D Tier
Chibi-Robo
Megaman
Ness
Bomberman
Wario
Jigglypuff

The heck is MK doing at the top for? He's definitely up there, but man, that's just too much.

Characters that need to be lower: Yoshi (like mid-ish high at most), Mario (mid), and Link (low-mid)
Characters that need to be higher: Wario (mid-ish), Peach (lower top tier), Samus (high tier), Kirby (at least lower mid tier), Lloyd (definite high/top tier) Fox, (at the very least high tier) and Bomberman (mid at least)

Like everyone said though, there are actually quite a few unexplored characters, like Chibi Robo for example. So we don't know entirely how this could work just yet. Mid is a big mess like everyone above was stating.

Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:09 am

I was going to say MK is overrated. Short hop nair>d tilt>d tilt>triple tap f tilt is fun and effective, but it's difficult to hone his momentum at times. He can be pretty sloppy on stage. Dair gets beat out a lot by good players. Also, his edgeguarding ability is overrated, mostly because a vast majority of the cast have really good recoveries and can get back before he can get out to punish.

Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:23 pm
 [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 18  Next