The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 9:07 pm

[ 606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 41  Next
Album a day in February -- with MG! 
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: FFXIV
Waifu: you get ONE guess
hi heads up i accidentally played video games all day
i'm listening to my album now but it's kind of long. i'll probably finish listening to it and have a write up before midnight but if not, i'll be done just slightly after midnight
you guys probably don't -really- care that much but i felt like i'd say it anyway

Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:29 pm
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Sekiro, Persona 4
Waifu: That’s right. PS4.
that's fine man

Blue wrote:
lol Cry more, Terminex. f*** f**. lolololololol What a b****.

Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:55 pm
Site Moderator

okay cool i was worried you'd ban me

Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:01 am
Site Moderator

#5: Gojira - The Way Of All Flesh
PROGRESSIVE GROOVE TECH DEATH or something

describing stuff is for chumps: show
Gojira are really f*** heavy. The Way Of All Flesh is essentially 75 minutes of unrelenting heaviness, and I'm 100% okay with that.
More than okay, actually. This album f*** rules.
I enjoyed every minute of this album. From album opener Oroborus to the self titled closing track, I really just couldn't find any significant faults. The riffs are crushing and the drums are pummelling, the vocals are unique (cue links to similar sounding vocalists), and the basswork is great. Rather than attempt to steal the show, Jean-Michel Labadie chooses to lock down the low end, only getting flashy during some of the slower parts. I personally think this works in the album's favour, but others might disagree.

Despite the HEAVY nature of the music, the lyrics are actually very... nice? Environmental themes and the subjects of life and death are regularly covered throughout. Album highlight Toxic Garbage Island ends with the repeated scream of "PLASTIC BAG IN THE SEA" which would sound extremely silly anywhere else, but ends up being one of the greatest moments on the album.
The album closes with "You are leaving this world / All lights are fading away now / Leave behind the loved ones and all you know / Do not be afraid and let yourself go" which, as I said earlier, kind of offset the heaviness. Again, this works in the album's favour as any band could simply write something BRUTAL to fit with the music, but Gojira choose not to.

Overall I'm honestly thinking this is a 9/10. That might sound CRAZY but it's true. If this album keeps me coming back, it might even become one of my all time favourites. Heavily (heh) recommended to fans of metal in general, but anyone else might be turned off by the extreme nature of the album.
Highlights: Toxic Garbage Island, The Art Of Dying, and A Sight To Behold

off by a few minutes f***
hastily thrown together write up. f*** love the album

Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:07 am
Site Moderator

Arel wrote:
I found myself getting annoyed with how repetitive this album was on multiple occasions. Where does one song end? Where does the next begin? Are the song structures ever going to change? Nope. There was some amount of variation whenever they would bring in some reverb or reverse loops, but it all felt like... well a dude playing a guitar for a really long time.

nice swans - to be kind review

Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:43 am

MGN Username: Nixter
Currently Playing: Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Scott wrote:

glad to know this band releases lots of kickass music, gunna get into them soon!

Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:51 pm
Site Moderator

Nixter wrote:
Scott wrote:

glad to know this band releases lots of kickass music, gunna get into them soon!

From Mars To Sirius is a great album. I've also listened to L'Enfant Sauvage but don't remember much aside from the opening track and the title track ruling.
any of those albums should be good, but obviously I'd say go with The Way Of All Flesh!

Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:02 pm
Site Moderator

Waifu: Trollbean
Funny, my sister was actually at a Gojira show last night around the time I was reading your review. Moderately jelly.

I felt like my album today needed a second spin so I'm doing that now. Will post shortly.

Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:38 pm
Site Moderator

Term wrote:
Funny, my sister was actually at a Gojira show last night around the time I was reading your review. Moderately jelly.

that's awesome. I've heard their live shows kick a**

Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:46 pm

Failure - Fantastic Planet

Mmm, so I wanted to start listening to this band when Luna showed me 'em, they're a space rock band with alternative rock tilt to them and have been around since 1990, and recently came back from a hiatus, not bad!

So, onto Fantastic Planet, this record is an interesting one, it's alternative rock before it was super commercial, and has some grunge flavour to it, this record features very nice vocals and use of acoustic guitar and spacey layers of ambient, yet doesn't fear to bring out some really fuzzy riffs and use feedback as an addition to the music, it's more rough instrumentally than vocally, but it doesn't provide any sonic beatdown, just a little rough around the edges, Another Space Song really got me hooked, such thoughtful and emotional melody, it also shows the intertwine of beauty and rugged distortion, it's a beautiful juxtaposition and really gets to me, lovely, lovely song. It's a record that doesn't aim for extremes, but is more about the middle ground, some feedback here, some melodies here, good vocals all around, it's an enjoyable record that doesn't demand much.

I rate this a 7/10, it's a nice record for sure, doesn't have sour moments, unless noisy segues piss you off, and is a very consistent and solid album with a few exceptionally great parts.

Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:35 pm
Site Moderator

Waifu: Trollbean
Scott wrote:
that's awesome. I've heard their live shows kick a**
She said she had a blast. Mastodon played too. I'm jelly as f***

Today:
Term invites you to read a review of Illinoise by Sufjan Stevens, or, Don't Try To Tell Me It's Illinois When There's An E Right On The Cover, You b****, or, You Think I Don't Realize How Ridiculous This Review Title Is?
Preview: Come On! Feel the Illinoise! / John Wayne Gacy, Jr.

This album was the 2nd in a series of 50 about each of the US states (which is, unfortunately, a marketing thing Stevens never actually intended to do :c only Illinois and Michigan got made). It has an absolute s*** of influences visible in just the first few tracks, creating a really interesting mold that has very much its own identity. The two tracks I posted above come back to back very early in the album, and they immediately convinced me I was listening to something really special.

The songwriting on this album is phenomenal, and it's really been drawing me in - both lyrically and in a sing-song-y kind of way. All the tracks on the album each have very distinct identities, covering a really wide range of moods, atmospheres and styles. Did I mention it's a 73 minute album? That's a hell of an accomplishment for something that long. I'm impatient as f*** but this thing managed to really hold my attention for its entire runtime.

(Disclaimer: Several of the tracks are <1 min ambient/fadeout things. The album has its quirks. It also has the honor of the longest track name in my library, and most likely yours too.)

All the writing is about events, locations & culture in Illinois too, so if you happen to live there I imagine that would make this album even more special.

I was really surprised by this album. I'm not entirely sure what I was expecting, but I'm really, really impressed with what I got. If either of those preview tracks sound even the tiniest bit interesting, give Illinois(e) a spin.

Rating: Good-Great (!!!)

Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:10 pm
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Probably the new patch of SSF2 Beta.
I won't be able to post my review today, because it's not the 7th of November everywhere else yet, and the album still isn't released.

Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:42 pm
Site Moderator

#6: The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute
Progressive Rock

RIP Isaiah Owens: show
TMV are a bunch of crazy guys. Reading into how this album came about and its recording process was a learning experience, and if you want, you can do so here because there's really no way for me to paraphrase it.

Frances The Mute is only made up of 5 real songs. However, each of these tracks (minus The Widow) are a little lengthy, at around 13 minutes each.
Except Cassandra Geminni, which is 32 1/2 minutes long.

Looking at the individual tracklengths might be disheartening, but honestly this album is much better as a whole and I don't recommend skipping any of the tracks. Each track flows into the next via ambient noise or, in The Widow's case, creepy sounding organs. While I previously criticized an album for having too much wasted time, I actually think it works to the album's advantage here because of how well it's implemented and how it effects the whole atmosphere of the album.

"But Scott, you haven't said anything about the actual songs!"
there's a good reason for that! as I said earlier, each song is lengthy and filled to the brim with crazy performances from each band member. quite frankly, writing about each individual song would be too much for me!
I can talk about The Widow, however, because it's the most radio friendly song TMV have written (aside from the previously mentioned organs near the end, which were actually cut from the radio edit).
The Widow is a great track. Cedric Bixler-Zavala's vocal performance here is a thing of beauty. Featuring some great trumpet playing from Flea (of RHCP fame), the band reins in the craziness a bit here, and instead opts to let Cedric carry the song.

Overall I'd give it an 8/10. Really fun to listen to all the way through, even if Cassandra Gemenni does drag a little.
Recommended tracks: The Widow and L'Via L'Viaquez (radio edit) because they're not crazy long

spent a little while thinking about how to write this
the answer was not very well!
i enjoyed the album though and that's what matters

Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:50 pm

cool review scott, TMV is a real nice band!

Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:01 pm
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Sekiro, Persona 4
Waifu: That’s right. PS4.
today sucked a**. i'm glad that i liked my album today because it was one of the few highlights i had

i still have a migraine and i don't feel like updating my calendar right now so i'll do it later. my review's probably not gonna be very lengthy either

Can - Future Days

Can are a pretty cool band, most of their music is really fun and psychedelic and worth repeated listens. I've been a fan of their albums Tago Mago and Ege Bamyasi for a good while so I was excited to give Future Days a spin.

I wasn't disappointed in the slightest! I really liked it a bunch! It might have something to do with the mood I've been in today but it was just a really nice listen to me. It's groovy and fun and comfortable while also being very evocative and dynamic. It was super fun and I highly recommend it to any fan of rock music, honestly. Their album Ege Bamyasi is very good too.

8/10. There was only 4 tracks and they're all long and I liked all of them so I'll just link to the full album.

good reviews today as well, guys. i like seeing what you all think of the stuff you listen to. this is super swell.

Blue wrote:
lol Cry more, Terminex. f*** f**. lolololololol What a b****.

Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:29 pm
 [ 606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 41  Next