The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 7:52 pm

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
If SSF2 Was Turn-Based 

MGN Username: SuperMagikarp
Currently Playing: Dem Mind Games.
So I was on training mode today testing out moves and items, and while doing so I thought up of an idea! What if SSF2 had a turn-Based Mode? This game mode would be players taking turns hitting each other.

Here's how it would work. There would be an Attacking Phase (AP), and a Defensive Phase(SP). Attackers are players in AP. Defenders are players in DP.

-During the Attacking Phase, the Attacker can use any move they want against the opponent. However, when they attack, they will immediately revert to DP. An Attacker can also use their turn to charge up any neutral-b move they have. However, after they finish charging, they will revert to DP. This is similar to Solar beam from the Pokemon series. AP will only last for about 10 seconds before it moves to the next player. This is to prevent the match from going on too long. When an Attacker grabs a Defender, the moment the Grab is finished, the Attacker switches to DP.

-During the Defensive Phase, players are only allowed to walk (Not Dash), Spot-Dodge, Crouch, and Taunt. Players can also only single jump 5 times each time they revert to DP. The reason why DP players are limited is to assure that the that Attacker can land a hit without having to chase a DP player across a stage. Some characters will be able to use moves while in DP, although these moves would be limited. Some characters will also be able to transfer their charged move over to DP (Mega-Man N-B Mostly). Players in DP will not be killed by falling. Instead, they will be lifted back on stage by Lakitu (Think 9.b's Assist Trophy), but will take 7% damage from his hook. If a player purposefully walks off stage (has not received damage, or been grabbed in the last 10 seconds), the hook will do 20% as well as knockback, potentially ko'ing abusers.

The Attacking Phase will move between each players in order, going from Player 1 to Player 4 using a ten-second timer. When the timer is up, the last player in AP will become a defender, and the next will become an Attacker. In Team Mode, AP will affect the entire team, and will switch between teams. The only way to kill a Defender is to launch them. This will remove a stock. If a player has no stock left, they will have lost (Obviously).

Nerfs. Some characters will have to be nerfed to fit into this mode.

:jigglypuff: Down-B will only be able to be used if Jiggs has 40% or higher.
:sandbag: Has hugely increased Knockback, but will kill Sandbag immediately. Similar to explosion from Pokemon. If used on a player with 1 stock, and the User only has 1 stock, the User will lose.
:captainfalcon: Neutral-B will only be able to be used at 30% or higher.
:marth: Down-B is mostly useless when Marth is attacking.
:donkeykong: :bowser: :kirby: Could no longer suicide.
:peach: D-Smash would do less damage.
:goku: Neutral-B does slightly less damage.

Buffs. Without these buffs, alot of moves would be useless.

-Standard Attacks now do more damage so they aren't useless.

:luigi: :mario: Fireballs can add a burning effect, similar to :blackmage: poison.
:blackmage: Down-Throw's poison lasts slightly longer. When Neutral-B is used while fully charged on defender, the defender will remain frozen until hit, or becomes a attacker. Same with being frozen from D-Smash.
:jigglypuff: Up-B. See Black Mage's Neutral-B.
:naruto: Up-B Shadow Clone. See Black Mage's Neutral-B.
:yoshi: Neutral-b Yoshi Egg. Likes Black Mage's Neutral-B but opponent is a yoshi egg.
:donkeykong: Side-B Like Black Mage's Neutral-B, but opponent is stuck in a pit.
:fox: Can fire 6 lasers in Attack Phase, before becoming a Defender. This means you could fire 5 and do another attack before becoming a Defender. Up-B has a Burning Effect.
:falco: Same as Fox.
:peach: Turnips have an increased chance to be Oddish. Poison from Oddish will do a little more damage so Down-B is not useless.
:goku: Kaio-Ken form would work differently. When used as Attacker, Goku will remain in his Attacking Phase for as long as he is in Kaio-Ken Mode. However, hitting opponents, or using Down-B will not reset the timer. Damage racks up even faster, and Goku has a chance to be KO'd when using Kaio-Ken.
:sora: Side-B attacks now have status effects to them.
:zerosuitsamus: Neutral-B now works similar to :blackmage: Neutral-B. D-Smash as well.
pacman Down B's Fire Hydrant will not count as an attack during Pacman's Attack Phase. Same with Up-B. Pacman can also freely charge with Neutral-B without costing a turn. If he throws his spawned projectile however, he'll immediately switch to DP.

Characters who can use certain moves during Defensive Phase

:megaman: Can carry his charge from Neutral-B from AP to DP. Can use his Charged Neutral-B, but cannot charge it during Defensive Phase. Can also explode Side-B bomb while in DP.
:goku: Neutral-B. Same as Mega-Man.
:bomberman: BomberMan can throw and explode Charged Bombs as a Defender. However, he cannot spawn bombs as a Defender.
:wario: For lols, can use Down-B in Defensive-Mode.
:marth: Can use Down-B as a defender, however, it can only be used 3 times. The limit resets every time he switches phase.
:peach: Side-B. Same as :marth: Down-B.
:fox: :falco: Can shine as a defender. However, shining no longer does damage. Can no longer cause hitstun.
:mario: Can use Side-B.
:sandbag: Can use Down-B. Would probably be useless though.
:gameandwatch: :chibirobo: Can both freely use Down-B.
:link: Can use Side-B, however, Gale-Boomerang does no damage as a defender.
:ness: Can use Down-B freely.
:pit: Can use Down-B freely.

This is just a thought I had, and not necessarily a suggestion. Reason being because I know this would be hard to code in. I posted this for fun. Let me know if you think there should be any other changes, or if you see any potential flaws or game breaks in this system. Or just let me know if you have any thoughts at all. :bandanadee:

If anyone has already thought of this idea, please know I didn't take it. This was just random thought that occurred to me. I did search the forums for this, and didn't see anyone bring it up.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:38 pm

Hey, I appreciate your effort and it would be interesting to see, but... Isn't very laggy Online pretty much a strategy game?

A scrubby :ichigo: main.
Shameless plugs:
Twitter
Youtube

If only I could participate in tournaments ;_;

Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:38 am

TSF | Mariomario345 wrote:
Hey, I appreciate your effort and it would be interesting to see, but... Isn't very laggy Online pretty much a strategy game?

Really? SSF2 doesn't lag much for me since the update.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:43 am

MGN Username: Zombosstian
Currently Playing: SSF2, PvZ Heroes, PvZ GW.
Waifu: Chompzilla.Seriously
Awesome idea man!

Specified mains: pacman :luigi: :gameandwatch:

Secondaries: :bowser: :mario: :zelda: :kirby: :sonic: :pit:

"Screw this, I wanna win" Characters: :donkeykong: :captainfalcon: :blackmage:

Characters I hate: :lloyd: :lloyd: :lloyd:

Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:00 am

MGN Username: Skewy
Currently Playing: No lag
This is a great idea for a mode tbh, lag is still a problem online though.

Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:53 pm

Thanks guys. It'd be really cool to see this feature, but it's unlikely! :sweat:

Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:45 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
I think it'd be cool to have a mode like this where the defensive player just stays in place until they get hit (they can still recover), and any combo counts as a single input. It would be about getting yourself in a good position after your combo so you didn't just get comboed offstage and died, keeping kill percentages in mind, and getting perfect DI.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:43 pm

MGN Username: blackking1700
I actually thought of doing an RPG Super smash bros game using RPG Maker, but I could never find a "Free" version of the full version of RPG Maker. I was gonna Call is Smash Bros. Advance or Super Smash Bros. RPG. It was gonna have a class/type and Weipon system with full customization, drawing inspiration from Dire Emblem and Pokémon. I also thought about having it where you could mix Weapon and Type classes. The more I think about it the more I wanna do it...maybe.

Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:52 pm

blackking1700 wrote:
I actually thought of doing an RPG Super smash bros game using RPG Maker, but I could never find a "Free" version of the full version of RPG Maker. I was gonna Call is Smash Bros. Advance or Super Smash Bros. RPG. It was gonna have a class/type and Weipon system with full customization, drawing inspiration from Dire Emblem and Pokémon. I also thought about having it where you could mix Weapon and Type classes. The more I think about it the more I wanna do it...maybe.

That'd be pretty sweet if you pulled it off yo. Maybe I could even lend you some ideas. I have thought of many ways the typical rpg system could be innovated upon :donkeykong:

Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:25 pm

MGN Username: blackking1700
I'd love to, but with School still being a thing for me and a current lack or resources(yeah I'm cheap, so what?) I don't know how I'd pull it off, Maybe me and you can get together and do some brainstorming and come up with some solid ideas. Then we could maybe post it in the forums and try to figure out a way to do it together. RPG Maker isn't hard ti learn, just need the right resources.

Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:22 am

blackking1700 wrote:
I'd love to, but with School still being a thing for me and a current lack or resources(yeah I'm cheap, so what?) I don't know how I'd pull it off, Maybe me and you can get together and do some brainstorming and come up with some solid ideas. Then we could maybe post it in the forums and try to figure out a way to do it together. RPG Maker isn't hard ti learn, just need the right resources.

Hey, I'm ready when you are. Anytime bro.

Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:40 pm

make this a arena mode

Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:21 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
Here's the idea for doing this in normal gameplay: at the start, pick someone to go first. The opposing char has to break their own shield (Puff can Rest), and then the opposing player can do a single combo. The shield-broken player can't attack, but can shield, jump, airdodge, spot dodge, etc. If at any point the defending player gets their shield out, the combo ends and the offensive player switches and breaks their own shield. Repeat until 4 stocks are gone.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:00 pm

TheCodeSamurai wrote:
Here's the idea for doing this in normal gameplay: at the start, pick someone to go first. The opposing char has to break their own shield (Puff can Rest), and then the opposing player can do a single combo. The shield-broken player can't attack, but can shield, jump, airdodge, spot dodge, etc. If at any point the defending player gets their shield out, the combo ends and the offensive player switches and breaks their own shield. Repeat until 4 stocks are gone.

That's actually quite doable, unlike my suggestion, which was to make an impossible mode where SSF2 fully behaved like Pokemon.

Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:24 pm

MGN Username: RavinRaven
Currently Playing: SSF2, The Game of Love
Waifu: Luna (Gwain Saga)
But wouldn't that ruin the whole point of Smash? Isn't it supposed to be high-octane, fast thinking, real time battling?
Anyway, just a nitpick.

Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:11 pm
 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next