The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 3:52 pm

[ 1 post ] 
February 1st, 2010 News (MG Orchestration Contest Begins!) 
Site Admin

Cleod9 wrote:
Today, the first ever McLeodGaming Orchestration Contest finally begins! This contest will focus on combining both orchestration and compositional skills to create your own original work. I will provide a short melody for you to orchestrate around. So basically you will be expanding on this melody in your own piece. The details of the contest are as follows:

-You must include the melody I provide somewhere within your piece. It does not have to be in a specific location, but the melody must be played at least once somewhere within the music with the rhythm and notes untouched. So you can have the melody anywhere in your song and repeat it as many times as you like, however it must be played note for note somewhere before you can use a modified version of the melody. You may also move the melody up or by octaves if it is not at the pitch you want. But please make sure to use the original melody in its original key at least once. The rest of the piece is up to you!

-The piece must be entirely your own work. No samples of other people's work besides the provided theme may be used. If you include any audio that you didn't create yourself you will be automatically disqualified from placing in the contest. This goes for pre-made melodic loops as well; if I hear a piece with premade loops mixed into it then the piece is no longer considered entirely your work, therefore you will be disqualified. Percussion loops are acceptable as long as they are not overused under my discretion.

-You can write in any style you want, you are not restricted to a particular genre of music. So be creative!

-Use any chord progressions you'd like; I will not be providing any so it is all up to you how you want your piece to sound!

-Your piece must NOT exceed 5 minutes! Just a second longer and you will be disqualified.

-You may use whatever tempo you would like. You may also use more than one time signature in your piece as well if you want to.

-Use any music software you want for your instrumentation, or record yourself playing an accoustic instrument if you have the capability.

-You may only submit ONE piece

The entries will be judged on various categories, such as originality, creativity, and the overall listening experience. I've also personally appointed several judges to help make sure each piece is compared fairly and thoroughly. The prizes will be as follows:

1st Place: $100 Gift Card to the MG Zazzle Store + I will personally re-master your piece myself if you would like
2nd Place: $50 MG Store Gift Card
3rd Place: $25 MG Store Gift Card

You must send me your entry as an MP3 via e-mail, PM, or by posting it here if you want.

All entries will be due by February 28th, 2010.

As long as you submit it before 11:59pm (GMT-5) on February 28th, your submission will be valid. If I see a March 1st timestamp on your entry I will not accept it.

Here are the files you'll need for reference:

MP3 File (This is just for you to listen, you don't need to use the MP3 in your piece, nor must you use piano for that matter)
MIDI FIle (You don't have to use the MIDI file if you don't want to but it's there to help. Just make sure you notate the melody correctly!)

If you have any questions feel free to contact me. So have fun with this guys, I'm looking forward to hearing your work!

Useful Links:

http://www.notation.com/DownloadNotationPlayer.htm (Can import MIDI files to see the notation)

All follow-up posts can be made in this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21462

Please let me know if you will be entering just so I can get an idea on the number of contestants. Also just so you know I will be adding more content to the store this month as well so you'll even more prizes to choose from!

:lock:

Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:51 am
 [ 1 post ]