The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 8:54 pm

Forum rules

DO NOT POST YOUR OWN UNFINISHED GAMES YOU'VE CREATED HERE!

To post about your own projects go here: viewforum.php?f=41

[ 10 posts ] 
[PC] FTL: Faster Than Light 
Legendary Ghost

Click to expand thumbnail
FTL: Faster Than Light is a spaceship simulation game. You are a Federation starship carrying vital information. In hot pursuit of your ship is a rebel fleet. You'll have to fly through many sectors and reach Federation space and deliver your intel.

Galaxies are randomly generated and the game be incredibly cruel at times. Along the way you can salvage scrap to upgrade your ship or purchase new weapons. You can also pick up new crew members to help bolster ship operations. You'll meet pirates, traders, and civilians in need. Random events can either reward your kindness or punish you depending on the choices you make. Gameplay is real time, although you can pause to make quick ship adjustments and divert power to necessary systems.

Available on Steam for $9.99.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/212680/
If you prefer the DRM free version without Steam, just get it off their site or GOG.com.
http://www.ftlgame.com/
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/faster_than_light

I personally am addicted to this game at the moment. They obviously put a lot of work into the design of this game. Diverting power to certain systems and doing damage control on your ship during battle is a pretty awesome experience.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:34 pm

Love the game, friend brings it to infotech on a flash drive and we just game it up :)
Data keeps resetting because we haven't figured out how to store our saves on the flash drives yet, but we normally get the same three ships unlocked by the end of class.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:52 pm
Legendary Ghost

I still haven't unlocked a ship past the Torus. Also I can't seem to win a game yet T_T

Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:01 pm
Legendary Ghost

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XI, Left 4 Dead 2
Deep Thought 42 wrote:
I still haven't unlocked a ship past the Torus. Also I can't seem to win a game yet T_T
This.

So. Much. This.

I can beat the first stage pretty well now, but the second one, dear f*** god.

"Jesus promised the end of all wicked people. Odin promised the end of all ice giants. I don't see many ice giants around."

Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:36 pm

Try easy if you're having trouble, once you have a grasp of the game then move to normal. This isn't one of those games where you start on normal :p

Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:23 pm
Site Moderator

I like the game, but there isn't much content to be honest (not counting mods, which there are some apparently). You can be absolutely f*** later on, especially against the rebel flagship if you're unlucky enough to not find some good events, and there's not exactly many options besides jumping blindly until you find scanners or whatever.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:42 pm

I'm guessing you haven't played a whole lot :p
There are 9 ships, each with two layouts to unlock(With the exception of the first), which each have three achievements to unlock. There are passive abilities that allow you to view what areas may contain, so you don't just jump blindly, there are also FTL upgrades so you can jump to any previous location, and more.
The only way you're going to defeat the last boss is if you visit every possible location in each sector, which is how you should be playing.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:58 am
Site Moderator

Aside from ships (which can be a complete b**** to unlock for some), achievements (for ships), and trying something different, it's kinda the same after a while. There's the fight that might be easy, or have five mantis teleporting onto your ship, there's the events that if you don't have the blue option for, can be a bit chancy, and visiting every location can still be difficult since I think only the stealth ship starts with scanners, you have to find them yourself. Then there's the fleet that's slowly encroaching on you, which can make you rush a bit. It's also rather odd how they do the end really because of that, considering the "plot" is basically "run the f*** away from the rebel fleet to "Oh thanks! Here's some fuel and repairs, now go fight that flagship alone alright?"

One can still get their money's worth, but still, there's a lot that could be added.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:23 pm
Legendary Ghost

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XI, Left 4 Dead 2
I've tried several methods so far, and that final boss still kicks my a** in the second stage. The first one is fiiiine, because you can just target down and murder the guys in those closed-off weapon rooms so they can't repair them (love beaming mantis aboard for that) but the second wave, especially if the AI has taken over and you're already heavily weakened? Holy s***...

"Jesus promised the end of all wicked people. Odin promised the end of all ice giants. I don't see many ice giants around."

Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:27 pm
Legendary Ghost

The zerg rush of drones is pretty ridiculous. I usually try to use a fire beam on those closed off systems to wreck those. Pegasus missiles also work wonders on disabling drone controls.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:39 pm
 [ 10 posts ]