The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 3:23 pm

[ 4 posts ] 
Randzombie: A Modular Zombie Survival Experience 

First thing first: What do I mean by modular? In it's simplicity, a modular experience is one that is in part, if not mostly, randomly generated. Often times this is done through modules, which are precreated pieces of maps/stories/etc that are stuck together either by making them into cards and drawing from a deck, or using die roles to pull them off of a list. These kind of games don't always make the most compelling story, but often make for simple, easy, and fun games that can last as long or as short as needed.

In theme with this, players are encouraged to make "abridged" characters. Characters with little to no well, character. Basically a face, name, and some gear. Simple characters often lead to quick decisions, and in turn leads to quick game play. Now a player is also welcomed to add all the complexities to a character they want if they want, but those kind of things are something that can easily be shown in game, and are not required.

The reason I chose zombie survival for this game type is because it's one of the most simple kinds of story to run, and shows off instanced scenario creation. It also provides simple dangers, that while ever looming, should only ever kill players through that player's own inaction, and not through bad luck, or poor balance from the gm. On that topic, player character death is a thing that can happen, and is another point to playing a simple character you won't be so attached to. Don't be scared though, it will always ultimately be up to the player if they die, since only a very poor decision(s) on their part, literally asking me to kill the character, or a long period of inactivity without approval can do it.

This kind of game type is very beginner friendly due to the simple nature of it, but should prove interesting to veterans of the section as well as it's a game we don't see very often: One that focuses on being a game more so then a community story. Now, if this interested you enough to stick with me and try it out, then all that is left is to fill out a simple character sheet.

CHARACTER SHEET
Username: (this helps me to be organized)
Character Name: (want you want your character to be called)
Trait: (used to add a little spice to the game. sometimes you will encounter challenges that can only be overcome by a certain trait (pass/fail). these challenges often lead to rare loot, so you want to overcome them, however you might need to make a deal with another player to do so if you can't on your own. the traits are Strength, Agility, or Intellect)
Gear: (as a survival type game, managing gear is a must, but so is starting with a little to get you started, but still in needed. for ease I'm just going to list a few starter kits to choose from, rather then a point buy system. please list the ITEMS, not the KIT here)

Explorer Kit: Large Backpack (10 slots), rations 3/3, melee weapon of choice, length of rope
Assault Kit: Assault Vest (4 slots, ammo stacks indefinitely), pump shotgun (capacity 5), shotgun rounds 10/?? (shotgun comes preloaded, ammo stack is normally 30.)
Medical Kit: Small Backpack (6 slots), rations 3/3, medkit 2/2, self defense gun (one time use pistol)
Survivor Kit: Medium Backpack (8 slots), rations 3/3, rations 3/3, noisemaker 3/3, matches 10/10

With a smile I'm flowin'
And if I be trollin'
Ya never be knowin'
'Cause when the haters get goin'
My eyes just start a-rollin'

Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:09 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: Chaconne
Username: Semicolon
Character Name: Pearl Grey
Trait: Intellect
Gear: Large Backpack (10 slots), rations 3/3, sledge hammer, length of rope

Pearl is a spunky teen who sports spunkier braided pigtails and a pink baseball cap.
She ran away from home just before the outbreak and has yet to relocate her parents. Not that she'd want to, anyway. She's edgy like that.

Last edited by DJ Wizard Cop on Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:22 pm

Alright alright, you are ready to jump right in. However I'm going to wait a day or two for others to join before I start. And you asked about gender/age/appearance, well you are free to add anything you think is really necessary to convey, like if you are 80 or something extreme like that, but no, that isn't generally information I'll need a hard copy of.

With a smile I'm flowin'
And if I be trollin'
Ya never be knowin'
'Cause when the haters get goin'
My eyes just start a-rollin'

Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:40 pm

Currently Playing: Skyrim,Warframe, and League Of Lag
Username: Wizzquizz
Character Name: Duncan Connor
Trait: Strength
Gear: Assault Vest (4 slots, ammo stacks indefinitely), pump shotgun (capacity 5), shotgun rounds 10/??

Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:02 pm
 [ 4 posts ]