The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 6:02 pm

Forum rules

DO NOT POST SSF2 OR GAME IDEAS/QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM!

For SSF2 Discussion, please go here: http://forums.mcleodgaming.com/viewforum.php?f=4

[ 5 posts ] 
SSF logos on Wikipedia. 

MGN Username: Byllant
Currently Playing: A lot of Nintendo games as if there's no end.
The following is unrelated to the forums but I still need help from them:

The Super Smash Flash series have the honour of having a page on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Smash_Flash

The article used to lack images until someone uploaded the slider I made about SSF1 for the MG Wiki. Because the image summary claimed it to be the title screen, which it invariably isn't, I took my own actions and decided to upload a clean version of the SSF1 logo, the one you can see on my sig. I uploaded it on Wikimedia Commons rather than Wikipedia, so it can be used anywhere in any of the Wikimedia projects.

Both Wikipedia and Wikimedia take copyright very seriously and it took me a while to decide the licenses for the SSF1 logo while uploading it, the case is that I didn't know who designed that logo so I uploaded it as a free art. Now I have received a notification telling me that the file is missing permission information and, though I gave a source link, it was not enough as "there is no proof that the author or copyright holder agreed to license the file under the given license", exactly like that. I need a verfication for that logo, whether it's Cleod or anyone else that will claim ownership of the original logo or else the logo may be deleted in seven days. This thread could be used as that verification.

I had plans to upload the logo for SSF2 as well, but I didn't get a clean version until friday, and then, I got this message before I could upload it. Just a reminder: logos in Wikipedia are used used for illustrative purposes, I really think developers aren't paranoid someone will try to steal the logo if it gets on Wikipedia on a lower resolution. So if we want the SSF2 logo on Wikipedia too, I would need verification from TAC3, Geno and Xyless giving authorization for the logo.

Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:35 pm
Site Admin

Normally this isn't the place for SSF2 related things but I'll make an exception for this.

I'm responsible for the SSF1 logo, and it's really just a heavily edited vectorized trace of Melee's logo. Naturally I don't care where it gets used, so you have my permission (let me know what you need from me exactly, if anything)

As for the SSF2 logo, if it's for Wikipedia I think it'd be a great idea to use it. Do they need written consent of some sort?

Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:23 pm

MGN Username: TAC3
Currently Playing: SSF2, League of Legends, Steam Games
dunno if this means anything, but I remember reading that anything we make for the game is owned by the developer team, and considering Cleod is head of development, it's probably be his call lol

(btw I'm fine with it haha)

Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:35 pm

MGN Username: Byllant
Currently Playing: A lot of Nintendo games as if there's no end.
Cleod9 wrote:
Normally this isn't the place for SSF2 related things but I'll make an exception for this.

I'm responsible for the SSF1 logo, and it's really just a heavily edited vectorized trace of Melee's logo. Naturally I don't care where it gets used, so you have my permission (let me know what you need from me exactly, if anything)

As for the SSF2 logo, if it's for Wikipedia I think it'd be a great idea to use it. Do they need written consent of some sort?

They need a consent where you claim ownership and you authorized it but I think what you said is enough.

Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:38 am
Site Admin

Byllant wrote:
Cleod9 wrote:

They need a consent where you claim ownership and you authorized it but I think what you said is enough.

Alright, if they need to contact me just give them my email address (and refer them to the contact page on my website so they know it's legitimate)

Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:41 pm
 [ 5 posts ]