The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 6:11 pm

[ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
101 tips for new RPers. (44 currently...) 

[JC] Destruction wrote:
KOOL-AID NINJA wrote:
I didn't see one in there for no re-coloring or re-doing a spirit.
Or can you but give credit to who made the first spirit?

:shock: + :shifty:

Do you mean sprite?

Also what the f#%$& does Sprites have to do with RPing?

lul, everything

FranklyIam wrote:
Do you HAVE to make a bio to join the RP?

You can make a bio just for the RP, and it doesn't have to be in the RP Bios section.

Dunno why you had to ask this, it's pretty simple

Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:21 pm

Whimskull wrote:
[JC] Destruction wrote:
KOOL-AID NINJA wrote:
I didn't see one in there for no re-coloring or re-doing a spirit.
Or can you but give credit to who made the first spirit?

:shock: + :shifty:

Do you mean sprite?

Also what the f#%$& does Sprites have to do with RPing?

lul, everything

lol@video game joke

But what about forums RPing?

May the path of the hero lead to the Triforce.

Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:15 pm

What about, "If you know you're not going to be online for a while, PM the RP Master before you leave?" You know...just in case? /:|

Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:45 pm

That's a stupid rule, if you're gonna kill off a fellow RPBer just because he forgot to PM you..

Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:21 pm
Legendary Ghost

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XI, Left 4 Dead 2
Not Sayonara wrote:
That's a stupid rule, if you're gonna kill off a fellow RPBer just because he forgot to PM you..
Man, Whimskull would be dead hundreds of times by now.

"Jesus promised the end of all wicked people. Odin promised the end of all ice giants. I don't see many ice giants around."

Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:41 pm

Hakker wrote:
Not Sayonara wrote:
Man, Whimskull would be dead hundreds of times by now.

I haet communicating by PM

Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:26 pm

What you know != what your character knows

Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:04 am
Site Moderator

Helmic wrote:

What? (Also, try not to bump topics over 14 days old. It's in da rules, sonny.)

Jin wrote:
I support the bombing of Israel.

Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:36 am

Blue Mage wrote:
Helmic wrote:

What? (Also, try not to bump topics over 14 days old. It's in da rules, sonny.)

vut, thought it was a sticky. Why is it stuck at the top of the page, then?

And I mean that just because you as a player know something doesn't mean that your character knows the same thing. For example, just because you as a player know that there's a trap up ahead doesn't mean that your character knows about it too. Unless your character somehow discovers the trap (spot check) or is alerted to its presence (an ally yells out a warning), there's no reason to have him or her turn around on the spot based on some "bad feeling." It's godmodding.

Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:40 am
Legendary Ghost

Location: Where angels fear to tread, and man is but a cautionary tale.
Its a showcase thread blue, so its fine.

Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:59 am
Site Moderator

Nini wrote:

That's what a showcase thread is? Why don't we just call them stickies, then? You people are redundant.

And yes, but isn't that a given, Helmic? I know any GM running a game would hate to have a player go all psychic on them. I don't trust people, though, so I tend to keep everything a secret until they spring a trap or something.

Jin wrote:
I support the bombing of Israel.

Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:29 pm

Blue Mage wrote:
Nini wrote:

That's what a showcase thread is? Why don't we just call them stickies, then? You people are redundant.

And yes, but isn't that a given, Helmic? I know any GM running a game would hate to have a player go all psychic on them. I don't trust people, though, so I tend to keep everything a secret until they spring a trap or something.

I clearly remember playing an RP where one of the other players did this all the time. See, I post my characters' thoughts in italics all the time, and he took that as an opportunity to be a psychic ex-Marine on a deserted island full of civilians. The GM, having to handle twenty or so players at once, didn't notice until a couple rounds later. Even when the Marine lost his psychic powers, he was prone to "randomness," a skill that allows your character to start spinning, hopping, and shooting around like a spy-checking Pyro.

So no, I don't think that's a given. But this post from the archive explained it better than I did.

Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:21 pm

Helmic wrote:
Blue Mage wrote:
Nini wrote:

I clearly remember playing an RP where one of the other players did this all the time. See, I post my characters' thoughts in italics all the time, and he took that as an opportunity to be a psychic ex-Marine on a deserted island full of civilians. The GM, having to handle twenty or so players at once, didn't notice until a couple rounds later. Even when the Marine lost his psychic powers, he was prone to "randomness," a skill that allows your character to start spinning, hopping, and shooting around like a spy-checking Pyro.

So no, I don't think that's a given. But this post from the archive explained it better than I did.

what you're describing isn't really godmodding, it falls more into the metagaming factor, which is usually looked down upon.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:35 pm

Razahtleb wrote:
Helmic wrote:
Blue Mage wrote:
Nini wrote:

what you're describing isn't really godmodding, it falls more into the metagaming factor, which is usually looked down upon.

Toemaytoe, toemahtoe. It's still something I see all the time in new players.

Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:47 pm

No, Metagaming and godmodding are VERY different.

And EVERYONE metagames to a point. Some just do it more than others. It is impossible not to metagame.

Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:39 pm
 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next