The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 6:48 am

Forum rules

Anyone is free to post new topics here now. However please limit yourself to 3 maximum posts of your own per month, and absolutely NO debate topics!

Also please be mindful of what articles others post and try to show some variety. Posting multiple articles that are too similar could disinterest people from your topic.

[ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
8-year-old shoots, kills elderly caregiver after video games 

eor240 wrote:
It is ironic,that lady was slaughtered in slaughter. Irony

That's not what the word "irony" means. Educate yourself.

It's the opposite of what you expect."Somebody was slaughtered in a place called Slaughter" is as ironic as "He didn't know what the word 'irony' meant, so he looked it up in a dictionary". And by that, I mean it isn't ironic at all.

Using a word when you don't know what it means is stupid, but you can learn from your mistake and not be stupid in the future.

Argue with somebody and insist you're right when they tell you what the word actually means and you'll be a f*** idiot forever.

Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:37 am

Currently Playing: Basket Ball!! (sing it with me!)
nvm your right.

Re: McLeodGaming 2013 Banner Contest

Clubby Bear wrote:
the devs say it's not a joke
so it's clearly part of the joke

Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:41 pm

Currently Playing: Super Smash Flash 2
Psycho wrote:
i can see this turning into a problem already

Video games banned, gamers claim "end of universe"

That's me. But yeah, that's just bad parenting right there. The parents need to truly know if the kid is mature enough to even play games like GTA. Bad Parenting...

Check out my youtube channels!

http://www.youtube.com/user/XxSSF2VideosxX?feature=watch

http://www.youtube.com/user/utubeuserrap

Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:47 pm

Currently Playing: Guess how many Taunts are Missing!
k-bizzle wrote:
eor240 wrote:

It's the opposite of what you expect."Somebody was slaughtered in a place called Slaughter" is as ironic as "He didn't know what the word 'irony' meant, so he looked it up in a dictionary". And by that, I mean it isn't ironic at all.

Using a word when you don't know what it means is stupid, but you can learn from your mistake and not be stupid in the future.

Argue with somebody and insist you're right when they tell you what the word actually means and you'll be a f*** idiot forever.

http://thatsnotironic.com/
All you had to say was it's coincidental and not ironic. Irony implies that the outcome is the opposite of what you were expecting; coincidence is when events occur at the same time by accident but seem to have some type of connection.

Compare "A hospital named 'Slaughter'" to "A prison named 'Hell'"

That being said, this article is yet another "Could 18+ games be bad for children under 18?" Boring...

Last edited by Oddguy on Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:40 am

Anon wrote:
k-bizzle wrote:
eor240 wrote:

All you had say to was it's coincidental and not ironic. Irony implies that the outcome is the opposite of what you were expecting; coincidence is when events occur at the same time by accident but seem to have some connection.

That being said, this article is another "Could 18+ games be bad for children under 18?" Boring...

Thanks for the definition that was just given by the person you were quoting.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:42 am

Pope Krillin IV wrote:
Anon wrote:
k-bizzle wrote:
eor240 wrote:

All you had say to was it's coincidental and not ironic. Irony implies that the outcome is the opposite of what you were expecting; coincidence is when events occur at the same time by accident but seem to have some connection.

That being said, this article is another "Could 18+ games be bad for children under 18?" Boring...

Lol what?

I was pointing out that he could have corrected him just by saying it was a coincidence and not irony.

lrn2read

Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:34 pm

Anon wrote:
Pope Krillin IV wrote:
Anon wrote:
k-bizzle wrote:
eor240 wrote:

Lol what?

I was pointing out that he could have corrected him just by saying it was a coincidence and not irony.

lrn2read

The guy said it was ironic.
Other guy said it wasn't.
The guy said again it was ironic.
Other guy said it wasn't and gave a definition of what irony means and why the situation is not ironic.

Where in this exchange do you need to come in and tell him how he could have better corrected him?

Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:08 pm
I hope they start asking the buyers if they have children younger then 18, so we don't have kids like these playing M rated games.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:19 pm
BR Member

Prof Clubby Bear III wrote:
I hope they start asking the buyers if they have children younger then 18, so we don't have kids like these playing M rated games.

"Do you have children younger than 18?" "No." "Okay then."

Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:18 pm

Pope Krillin IV wrote:
Anon wrote:
Pope Krillin IV wrote:
Anon wrote:
k-bizzle wrote:
eor240 wrote:

Lol what?

lrn2read

The guy said it was ironic.
Other guy said it wasn't.
The guy said again it was ironic.
Other guy said it wasn't and gave a definition of what irony means and why the situation is not ironic.

Where in this exchange do you need to come in and tell him how he could have better corrected him?

You typed "Other guy said it wasn't" twice.

If he was so clear why did he have to repeat himself?

Now can we focus the discussion back to the s*** article before a mod inevitably locks this thread?

Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:25 pm

What, you think that will work?

kid wants violent video game > whines about it > parent buys video game for kid > kid stops whining

That's how all this "amazing" parenting works. No amount of rating labels or questions will ever stop that.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:28 pm

He had to repeat himself because the other person didn't believe him, so he had to reinstate his point and back it up with a definition.
You are grasping at straws at a level where it just seems desperate.

Also, there isn't really a way we can change some of this s*** to fix these issues without going through the parents. As the other person said, having the store employees have to ask whether they have young children won't really change anything.

Fake Edit: Yeah. ^^^

Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:30 pm

Don't know about any other systems, but the Wii and the PS3 have parental locks. Nothing else can really be done other than telling people not to be s*** parents.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:34 pm

MGN Username: Tid
Currently Playing: Deep™ The™ Game™
im not reading the whole thread because it's long so idk where the conversation is at right now but
i am so DONE with whatever the f*** violent game the child was playing beforehand being a 'big part' of the news story
why are we asking ourselves what game he was playing and whether or not he should be playing it and whether or not the game should be banned when we should be asking ourselves HOW THE f*** DID AN 8 YEAR OLD GAIN ACCESS TO A LOADED AND FUNCTIONAL FIREARM AND THEN SHOOT SOMEBODY WITH IT
there are still NO conclusive or universally accepted studies that suggests ANYONE from ANY class, race, age or sex gets more violent after playing violent video games. it was a game, not a particularly realistic one, or one that rewards you for killing randoms. it's also not remotely similar to shooting someone in real life and any child in the world can see that. gta is not the issue here, christ.

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:17 am
k-bizzle wrote:

What, you think that will work?

kid wants violent video game > whines about it > parent buys video game for kid > kid stops whining

That's how all this "amazing" parenting works. No amount of rating labels or questions will ever stop that.

I think if we have another school shooting, videogames will get stricter background checks.
Apparently most of the SS are caused by FPS, and so do these.
I saw this happen at gamestop, some kid tried to buy a mature game and the owner talked to their dad.

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:27 am
 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next