The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 11:48 pm

[ 2831 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164 ... 189  Next
SSF2 Character Speculation 
BR Member

MGN Username: KarmaPilcrow
Currently Playing: the waiting game
Waifu: Furry trash.
The roster isn't set in stone anymore and hasn't been for a long time. Pac-Man and Luffy prove that. (And don't try to tell me that Pac-Man was always planned to be playable. They wouldn't have wasted effort coding him as an assist trophy in the first place if he was.)

v1.0 probably won't be here until close to the turn of the decade, so that's plenty of time for other SSB4 characters to stop by.

SMX wrote:
@BluePikmin11R

What do you mean by expansions?

Oh, those were dark days.

Naruto [NU], way back in one of the first Dojos wrote:
You may have recently saw Sephiroth as a character for SSF2. Well Sephiroth is an expansion character, and here is what an expansion character is:

An expansion character is a character that is not really in SSF2. When the game is finished, the expansion characters will not be normal characters, veterans, unlockables, or secret characters. You have to actually download them into the game. If you have ever played any mugen games this should'nt confuse you, it will be sort of like that. If you ask me, this is a great idea! Because even after the game is released, there could be new characters coming out every day! Another important thing. Expansion characters will not be released at the same time as SSF2. You will have to wait a while before they are released. And I think playing the SSF2 yourself will keep you busy.

This should solve any confusion, and now you understand that Sephiroth (or any other expansion character) will not be programmed into SSF2.

Basically, way, way back, in the game's earliest stages - I'm talking pre-v0.4 here - the SSF2 roster was planned to support DLC. The early dev team was so confident that they could finish the game by Summer 2009* (as they said in Sephiroth's dojo update) that they were already planning several characters for post-completion while there was still so much to do. Which, as we all know now, is a very frowned-upon practice nowadays.

Also, expansions had no rules. Everyone wanted to make their own.

The concept of post-release characters isn't entirely off the table today, though. They're just worrying about, you know, the actual game first.

Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:13 pm

MGN Username: Bedoop
Currently Playing: Rayman Origins
Waifu: CLEOD-BOT
Waluigi is the better choice anyway but Ill argue for the sake of staying on the ruse cruise: show
realmemoryman3 wrote:
So you are saying that all the games Daisy appeared in are fake ripoff games? Cheap knockoffs?

Is this amiibo a cheap knockoff to you then?

1) Put that image in a box please, you're breaking my scrollwheel
2) No, I'm saying that all the games in Daisy appeared in were Spinoff Games. And woahhey look who else is a guy who's in every spinoff as well, if it isn't Waluigi :chibirobo:
3) No the amiibo is not a cheap knockoff but the fact that characters like Boo, more than a dozen Animal Crossing Characters, 4 versions of Mario and Waluigi doesn't really give Daisy any more significance because of it.
And they, too, also have the little descriptions similar to the Daisy one. Allow me to pull up one;
Quote:
A crooked mustache and a long, red nose— Waluigi has "villain" written all over him. He considers himself Luigi's rival and spent a long time working silently in the shadow of the Mario Bros. before finally becoming strong enough to compete with them in tennis. While the nature of his relationship to Wario is a mystery, the pair have hatched some devious schemes together.

Quote:
These shy spirits inhabit Mario's world and have been known to vanish or freeze when met face-to-face. In recent years, they seem to have overcome their fears in order to pursue tennis and other social activities. They usually appear in groups and fly in formation. From time to time, giant Boos make surprise appearances!

So again by your logic does that mean Boo has just as much of a chance as getting in as Daisy
A character who can utilize a gimmick of having infinite copies of themselves, can grow/shrink at will, has a Ruler who's more terrifying than Bowser, can merge together with other Boos and has also appeared in a lot of spinoffs has just as much of a chance as Daisy
a'ight :chibirobo:

Harr Turnpike wrote:
The roster isn't set in stone anymore and hasn't been for a long time. Pac-Man and Luffy prove that. (And don't try to tell me that Pac-Man was always planned to be playable. They wouldn't have wasted effort coding him as an assist trophy in the first place if he was.)

I feel as if Bandana Dee also breaks that rule, since we now have knowledge that the Bandana Dee assist trophy has been replaced by your average Waddle Dee
So +1 for him too :chibirobo:

Wait nevermind that isn't confirmed yet whoops :chibirobo:

Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:28 pm

Currently Playing: SSF2
Harr Turnpike wrote:

v1.0 probably won't be here until close to the turn of the decade, so that's plenty of time for other SSB4 characters to stop by.

May I ask why you brought up Luffy? He seems like a character that would be added from the beginning with Ichigo's inclusion in the first version.

I don't deny that roster has likely changed, I just think Pac-Man was a last-minute addition.

I believe that the devs have stated before that Pac didn't have any unique qualities. That was before he appeared in Smash 4. And I believe they made the last-minute decision to add him after Smash 4 because they realized how big of an icon he is and how much of a crime it is to leave him out in a game that has its focus on other third-party additions. I personally think the match-up with Mario vs. Pac-Man vs. Sonic vs. Mega Man thought got them to rethink Pac-Man.

I could see them adding Smash 4 characters in the final version, but I think they would rather focus on the roster they were planning years ago.

People are already asking for Smash 4 newcomers in Smash Flash 2.

And by the time a hypothetical Smash NX arrives, people will be asking for the Smash NX characters in Smash Flash 2.

And it's just going to take longer for devs to actually finish the game if they decide to refresh the roster again because of those demands.

Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:12 pm
BR Member

BluePikmin11R wrote:
May I ask why you brought up Luffy? He seems like a character that would be added from the beginning with Ichigo's inclusion in the first version.

They explicitly stated that he's primarily in because of the overwhelming fan demand throughout the game's lifespan. The demand for Luffy specifically, though always there to an extent, spiked in the years after the roster change, and that only grew and grew as more and more time passed. He was most definitely a late addition.

Think about it. The devs, TSON in particular, worked to build up the game's credibility on other sites by explaining to skeptics that there would be no more anime characters after :goku: :naruto: :ichigo: . And I really don't think that he was flat-out lying.

And for the record, there wasn't any One Piece representation on the old roster at all, remember. And the old roster was the one generous with anime, with Sasuke, Rock Lee, Renji, and Vegeta.

Quote:
I don't deny that roster has likely changed, I just think Pac-Man was a last-minute addition.

I believe that the devs have stated before that Pac didn't have any unique qualities. That was before he appeared in Smash 4. And I believe they made the last-minute decision to add him after Smash 4 because they realized how big of an icon he is and how much of a crime it is to leave him out in a game that has its focus on other third-party additions. I personally think the match-up with Mario vs. Pac-Man vs. Sonic vs. Mega Man thought got them to rethink Pac-Man.

I could see them adding Smash 4 characters in the final version, but I think they would rather focus on the roster they were planning years ago.

People are already asking for Smash 4 newcomers in Smash Flash 2.

And by the time a hypothetical Smash NX arrives, people will be asking for the Smash NX characters in Smash Flash 2.

And it's just going to take longer for devs to actually finish the game if they decide to refresh the roster again because of those demands.

I don't think that's the case because I think there is no roster to refresh. I think they just cross those bridges when they get to them. And even if there was, it doesn't take long to alter plans as needed. If spriting for something hasn't started yet, then anything is possible if someone brings it up or wants to work on it. Sandbag, who started out as TSON's pet project, proves that.

(Another thing I doubt is the possibility of a Smash NX, but that's another story.)

Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:34 pm

Currently Playing: SSF2, Pokemon Uranium, RPG's
BluePikmin11R wrote:
I feel SSF2 is going to only focus on characters that debuted during the Gamecube/Gameboy Advance era.

Finally someone else said it. :luigi:

Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:19 pm
Site Moderator

Waifu: ElvisDitto
Waddle Dee didn't make his first true appeareance untill Kirby SuperStar Ultra (DS) and his moveset is primarily from Return to Dreamland (Wii).

(you can now tweet mean things at me on Twitter @StevenEggplant)

Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:23 pm

Overwhelming demand huh?

>:)

Click to expand thumbnail

Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:32 pm

Harr Turnpike wrote:
They explicitly stated that he's primarily in because of the overwhelming fan demand throughout the game's lifespan. The demand for Luffy specifically, though always there to an extent, spiked in the years after the roster change, and that only grew and grew as more and more time passed. He was most definitely a late addition.

Think about it. The devs, TSON in particular, worked to build up the game's credibility on other sites by explaining to skeptics that there would be no more anime characters after :goku: :naruto: :ichigo: . And I really don't think that he was flat-out lying.

And for the record, there wasn't any One Piece representation on the old roster at all, remember. And the old roster was the one generous with anime, with Sasuke, Rock Lee, Renji, and Vegeta.

I see. I thought he was an obvious addition that the devs would add for years. Now the earlier comments with TSON make more sense.

I didn't really remember the old SSF2 roster though, I thought Luffy was in it. Guess I was wrong.

Quote:
I don't think that's the case because I think there is no roster to refresh. I think they just cross those bridges when they get to them. And even if there was, it doesn't take long to alter plans as needed. If spriting for something hasn't started yet, then anything is possible if someone brings it up or wants to work on it. Sandbag, who started out as TSON's pet project, proves that.

(Another thing I doubt is the possibility of a Smash NX, but that's another story.)

I guess that's true, but we'll have to see. I guess there is really a priority deadline for the game, so they can change their mind easily I guess. It isn't a big production team like with SSB4.

I'm 50/50 on the situation TBH. Cause I'm very sure they said they set priorities on the roster they had before Smash 4 came minus Pac-Man/Luffy/Sandbag.

Steven wrote:
Waddle Dee didn't make his first true appeareance untill Kirby SuperStar Ultra (DS) and his moveset is primarily from Return to Dreamland (Wii).

Oh yeah, I forgot to clarify this in reference to Nintendo characters that had not character representation in official Smash games before.

realmemoryman3 wrote:
Overwhelming demand huh?

>:)

The devs also said they added Luffy due to his uniqueness as a character. Just to let you know.

Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:36 pm

Waifu: zero suit wario
Steven wrote:

Then who's this guy I always faced against in Megaton Punch?

Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:47 pm
Site Moderator

Waifu: ElvisDitto
Notice how I said 'true', I intentionally did that. I didn't count KSS due to that being counted simply as a cameo due to the lack of relevance and even if then that would still make Dee an SNES character and not a gamecube/gba character.

(you can now tweet mean things at me on Twitter @StevenEggplant)

Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:51 pm

I feel like I should fully clarify my reasons for adding these particular characters. I'll get to that soon. :sweat:

I promise.

Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:28 pm

Waifu: zero suit wario
Steven wrote:
Notice how I said 'true', I intentionally did that. I didn't count KSS due to that being counted simply as a cameo due to the lack of relevance and even if then that would still make Dee an SNES character and not a gamecube/gba character.

Welp, you've got a point, we don't count Sonic's cameo in Rad Mobile as his first appearance :P

Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:45 pm
BR Member

El Natoo wrote:
BluePikmin11R wrote:
I feel SSF2 is going to only focus on characters that debuted during the Gamecube/Gameboy Advance era.

I was going to object at first, but...

:isaac: , :chibirobo: , :lloyd: , :sora: , Sandbag... Even all of the anime characters are from this era now that I think about it.

I guess it's a consequence of exactly who's making the game. That's the era the devs and most of the fans grew up with.

Olimar, Andy/Sami, Lyn, and Shadow are looking pretty likely right now.

Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:06 pm

Quote:
Oh, those were dark days.

Totally oblivious to what you're saying. :?

Harr Turnpike wrote:
El Natoo wrote:
BluePikmin11R wrote:

I was going to object at first, but...

:isaac: , :chibirobo: , :lloyd: , :sora: , Sandbag... Even all of the anime characters are from this era now that I think about it.

I guess it's a consequence of exactly who's making the game. That's the era the devs and most of the fans grew up with.

Olimar, Andy/Sami, Lyn, and Shadow are looking pretty likely right now.

Quote:
Andy, Lyn are looking pretty likely right now.

Now this is a bias I can get behind any day of the week. :nod:

But really I like that direction because characters from that era are scarce in official Smash Bros games. That and of course my most requested characters are from that particular era for the most part ( :isaac: , Andy, Lyn)

Click to expand thumbnail

Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:55 pm

TBH? I don't know why people are discounting classic characters. Especially since Black Mage made it into the game. Although, if I'm being honest, the only classic characters I see making are Lip, Takamaru, Mike Jones, and Excite Biker (at least for newcomers).

Anyway, final roster speculations...

Veterans
-King Triple-D
-Diddy Kong
-Ganondorf
-Lucas
-Ike
-Ice Climbers
-Mewtwo
-Olimar
-Snake

Newcomers
-King K. Rool
-Sammy [Advance Wars]
-Knuckles
-Zero
-Some new Fire Emblem character (probably Lyn)
-Some new Pokemon character
-Waluigi
-Simon Belmont

[Pipe dream: Scoprion].

Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:11 am
 [ 2831 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164 ... 189  Next