The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 4:18 pm

[ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
Sandbag 

MGN Username: Jobin
Currently Playing: FusionFall
Waifu: Sandbag
tson wrote:
going off of sakurai's theology, neutral specials are supposed to be the iconic special for the character - something extremely 'them'. this move slot holds CF's Falcon Punch, Wario's Chomp, Sonic's homing attack, Goku's Kamehameha, Kirby's inhale... and Sandbag's flash-white-what-does-this-do-oh-it's-a-little-hop?

overall, having to let go of all of your directional inputs, press neutral special, then press a direction is really jarring and easy to mess up.

I don't really consider Sandbag's 'them' moment to be bringing in items. I also tried doing what you said was jarring in movement, it feels pretty normal to me fam. :blackmage: I've even accidentally used neutral b when trying to get back on the stage from practicing it.

Main Man: :sora:
Side Chick: :sandbag:
Hoping for: [jojo reference]

Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:48 pm

MGN Username: Bedoop
Currently Playing: Rayman Origins
Waifu: CLEOD-BOT
tson wrote:
overall, having to let go of all of your directional inputs, press neutral special, then press a direction is really jarring and easy to mess up.

Having to hold Down (The Fast Fall button)
Press Special immediately so you don't lose too much height (But not TOO immediately, because you'll do Capsule Pull, and die, and cry a lot)
THEN let go of all your direction inputs
And then press a direction (In this case, Up)
With such a picky timeframe
Is also incredibly easy to mess up.
Infact, it's probably even more easy to mess up than what you're currently describing.
I know I can't speak for a thing I haven't done, but as someone who plays Kirby games and a lot of moves in Copy Abilities are just that, I'd like to think I have some experience on the deck.
Quote:
plus, on top of that, then people would try to angle it down which we intended to not be an option.

The literal only 3 directions Sanddash can go is Left, Right and Up (Unless you count the "Wavedash" on the ground which is completely useless)
So having it be on the Neutral placement instead of DOWN would make it easier to begin with :sandbag:
Diagonally Up doesn't work at all and straight Down doesn't work either to begin with
So you don't even have to do the not-intended option since it already exists

Edit; Also
Quote:
going off of sakurai's theology, neutral specials are supposed to be the iconic special for the character - something extremely 'them'

Sandbag's "thing" is definitely not Capsule Pull
Yes, he does spawn items when he's an item ingame (But I don't think he can spawn Capsules/Crates/Party Balls to begin with, usually it's just small items and food)
But nobody plays with items anyway and he wasn't an item in Melee as far as I'm aware
His main thing is, well, Home Run Contest
And what does he do?
Get hit by a bat
And get flung extremely far.
What does Sanddash do?
Fling you in a direction.
That's Sandbag's "thing," being launched.
So having his most iconic move (Which is in the neutral special slot) being the one thing he does best, getting launched, makes sense
Plus, as the name implies, it's a reference to Melee, the game he debuted in. Where wavedashing is the s*** and everyone who wants to be someone uses it constantly.
Makes a bit more sense to me than something about as gimmicky as Peach's Turnip Pull (Infact, that gives even bigger reason to switch them, why is a move that's literally-turnip-pull-but-worse-in-every-way* not the Down Special button?)

*Startup lag is atrocious, if Items aren't on it does jack s*** (Whilst Peach can STILL GET ITEMS) and if it doesn't explode it's basically worthless

So, yeah.
Still holding my ground, switch 'em up. :sandbag:

Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:55 pm

MGN Username: snidbert63
Currently Playing: in a sandbox
Waifu: Weird Al Yankovic
Clarification on capsules: They can contain any item which is switched "on" on the item switch, even if item frequency is set to none. Unfortunately, in competitive play, all items are usually switched off to avoid letting Sandbag spawn any items other than the actual capsule, which I personally think is lame, but understandable.

Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:19 pm

snidbert64 wrote:
Clarification on capsules: They can contain any item which is switched "on" on the item switch, even if item frequency is set to none. Unfortunately, in competitive play, all items are usually switched off to avoid letting Sandbag spawn any items other than the actual capsule, which I personally think is lame, but understandable.

And Peach still gets to spawn items even when said rules apply
Which in my opinion is s***, even if Peach getting an item is rare,
But I guess that's how it has to be.

Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:22 pm

Peach: Down B is item pull. Neutral B has movement. Turnips are Peach's thing. Makes sense.
Sandbag: ???

Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:22 pm

I haven't seen much talk about :sandbag: 's D-Tilt. It's basically his dash with no lag at all. It's a great tool IMO.

bunq wrote:
Turnips are Peach's thing. Makes sense.

:gameandwatch:
Not really, her using Toad isn't much of that either but she didn't have much when she first came in from Melee to begin with. Her real thing is more her emotions like from the DS game or heart-themed magic from the M&L and SNES RPGs. But that's just my opinion.

Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:51 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: mcompany
Currently Playing: ssf2,melee,pm,sm4sh
So I've been messing around offline against the cpu, and I noticed some things. Due note that I don't have any way of testing how easy is it to avoid with DI though, nor do I really have a way of seeing if there are other ways to escape some of these combos

1. Dthrow guarantees into nair or uair at basically any percent on any character.
2. At lower percents uair usually either sends the opponent behind you (leading to a bair, a nair, or another uair), or above you (only uair or sometimes up b). I'm pretty sure this is DI specific, but some of this also seems like there might be two hitboxes on uair (this might not be true though). However, any up b combos you try with sandbag generally are easier to escape than any other combos due to the amount of startup of pulling the bomb and how hard it is to hit them as soon as you pull the bomb. Lastly, some of the combos I claim you can get from uair needs you to jump after the uair to land
3. Near 0%, bair can combo directly into another bair just because it is so ridiculously fast. However I don't think you can get much else afterwards without extending it on the ground afterwards somehow. That said, given what I've said already, dthrow->uair->jump->bair->bair can usually work from 0%
4. At any percent where you can't get a combo from dthrow->dair or dthrow->uair->whatever else, you probably should have already started thinking of using fthrow or bthrow near the ledge. Fthrow is far stronger than bthrow though.
5. Sanddash forwards or backwards can be useful in the air against juggles or fox's uair
6. Dthrow-> up b is by no means guaranteed and should never hit. Too much startup. Against some characters though, uthrow->up b is maybe possible

ssf2 main: idk, haven't seriously played yet. secondaries/jokes: :gameandwatch: :marth: :link: :sandbag: :jigglypuff: :falco:

Pm main:g&w second: ROB, lucario

Sm4sh main: good question

Man do I wish there were local ssf2 tourneys or at least side events so my practice is actually worth it.

Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:02 pm

badcon troller wrote:
1. Dthrow guarantees into nair or uair at basically any percent on any character.

For neutral air, this is true. It combos at literally any percent until Down Throw sends them to their death anyway (On Jigglypuff, that's about 350%) For Up Air, it misses a bit earlier, but it's still enough % for Down Throw to seal the deal anyway
Quote:
6. Dthrow-> up b is by no means guaranteed and should never hit. Too much startup. Against some characters though, uthrow->up b is maybe possible

Unless it's :bowser:
Bowser really likes getting hit by that thing until around 80-ish%
Luckily, 60-80% is definitely enough for Up B to seal the deal anywho

Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:16 pm

Currently Playing: SSF2, Paladins, TF2, Skullgirls
Waifu: m'Lady Lyndis
Jan_Solo wrote:
Think of "Kirby", then let's talk kirby

but this isn't the kirby thread

so... kirby?

seriously though, sanddash would be weird for kirby to copy

Secondaries:
:bomberman: ; :wario:

For Fun:
:chibirobo: ; :blackmage: ; :ichigo: ; Image ; :isaac: ; :jigglypuff:

Hopefuls:
Lyn(FE); Ike(FE); Zero(MM); Andy(AW); Gilgamesh(FF)

tmanex2013 made the wonderful lyn sprite I used for Image

Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:34 pm

Jan_Solo wrote:
seriously though, sanddash would be weird for kirby to copy

:chibirobo: He actually gets more airtime from that, lol. The sick flips would look cool though.

Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:06 pm

Currently Playing: SSF2, Paladins, TF2, Skullgirls
Waifu: m'Lady Lyndis
I don't get it

Secondaries:
:bomberman: ; :wario:

For Fun:
:chibirobo: ; :blackmage: ; :ichigo: ; Image ; :isaac: ; :jigglypuff:

Hopefuls:
Lyn(FE); Ike(FE); Zero(MM); Andy(AW); Gilgamesh(FF)

tmanex2013 made the wonderful lyn sprite I used for Image

Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:13 pm

Jan_Solo wrote:
I don't get it

When sanddashing in the air (Especially left/right) Sandbag spins rapidly
So basically Kirby would turn into a tumbleweed :sandbag:

Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:25 am

MGN Username: Sonario
Currently Playing: games probably
Waifu: Speedwagon
How about switching the Down-B and Up-B while keeping the capsule for Kirby and other things? Luffy has Down-B and Up-B recoveries so it could work.

Flash Card: show

My thanks to Utah P. Teasdale (Harr) for the amazing Flash Card.

Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:51 am

MGN Username: MaskofTruth
Currently Playing: SSF2
wat.
luffy downB is his primary recovery tool, and sandbag's downB is its primary recovery tool.
I really don't understand what you are saying sonario

Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:41 am

Sonario wrote:
How about switching the Down-B and Up-B while keeping the capsule for Kirby and other things? Luffy has Down-B and Up-B recoveries so it could work.

It's the same problem I think, you gotta press up, then up again, or up then down. :sandbag: IMO Neutral special is best for this thing.

Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:54 pm
 [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next