The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 1:10 pm

[ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next
Donkey Kong 
Site Admin

MGN Username: [TSON]
Currently Playing: with myself
v0.9a DK had all of those things though, honestly v0.9b DK has like probably 3 or 4 changes

Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:27 am

MGN Username: gEmssbguy13
Currently Playing: Smash Bros, FNaF, Undertale, GMod, Delver, Xenoblade, ect...
[TSON] wrote:
v0.9a DK had all of those things though, honestly v0.9b DK has like probably 3 or 4 changes

Exactly, that's why he really shoulda stayed the same.

Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:22 am

Currently Playing: L4D2, SSF2
Back-throw doesn't kill at 50%
Maybe it will if you're playing on Mirror's Chamber, against Jigglypuff and near the ledge when using the back-throw but overall it kills at 100%.
I still don't think DK overall is broken, yeah it has good reach, speed, combos and all
But he's the biggest of all characters you can combo him for days with pretty much everyone.
It might need one nerf, but that's it. I don't see what's the problem with DK being top-tier.

No DI - A SSF2 v0.9a Combo Video :
YouTube Video:

FALCON...PUUUUNCH

MGN username : Shady75

Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:49 pm
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
Shady75 wrote:
Maybe it will if you're playing on Mirror's Chamber, against Jigglypuff and near the ledge when using the back-throw but overall it kills at 100%.
I still don't think DK overall is broken, yeah it has good reach, speed, combos and all
But he's the biggest of all characters you can combo him for days with pretty much everyone.
It might need one nerf, but that's it. I don't see what's the problem with DK being top-tier.

DK also has two great combo breaker moves, his nair and up-spec. Nair comes out really fast and since up-spec has armour on startup if he can start it you are going to get hit. Ever been killed by a combo breaker type of move (in any smash game)? I sure have, and its super lame.

Youtube: NinjaLobsterStudios
Stream: twitch.tv/ninjalobster

Click to expand thumbnail

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:14 pm

Starkiller2 wrote:
Shady75 wrote:

DK also has two great combo breaker moves, his nair and up-spec. Nair comes out really fast and since up-spec has armour on startup if he can start it you are going to get hit. Ever been killed by a combo breaker type of move (in any smash game)? I sure have, and its super lame.

True dat.
You should see what a fully charged Giant Punch does to you near the ledge.

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:19 pm

MGN Username: Mr Tunra_23
Currently Playing: SSB64, SSBM, SSBB, Project M, SSF2, MK9, Pokemon Showdown
A fully charged DK move kills at 20% near the ledge... That's just..... Bollocks!

SSB64 Main:Image

SSBM Main:Image

SSBB Main:Image

Project M Main:Image

SSF2 Main: Image

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:41 pm

MGN Username: sparty88
SirTundra_23 wrote:
A fully charged DK move kills at 20% near the ledge... That's just..... Bollocks!

Don't forget about how cool super armor is. 8-)

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:43 pm

SirTundra_23 wrote:

Gimps at 0% if DI'ed wrong....

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:44 pm

Giant Punch has 0 endlag. You can even roll out of it for some reason.

Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:29 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
I think he needs a slight nerf, but nothing major. Having a good kill game is what makes him good. It's not like you're just going to sit at the ledge while DK walks up. DK can be juggled and comboed easily, and so he needs a really good offensive game to compensate. He's a very aggressive character, but he has weakness.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:13 pm

MGN Username: Mr Tunra_23
Currently Playing: SSB64, SSBM, SSBB, Project M, SSF2, MK9, Pokemon Showdown
TheCodeSamurai wrote:
I think he needs a slight nerf, but nothing major. Having a good kill game is what makes him good. It's not like you're just going to sit at the ledge while DK walks up. DK can be juggled and comboed easily, and so he needs a really good offensive game to compensate. He's a very aggressive character, but he has weakness.

Yeah Dk those have a bad matchup against certain characters like Samus and Megaman and while dk can be juggled pretty easily he can easily escape using nair...

SSB64 Main:Image

SSBM Main:Image

SSBB Main:Image

Project M Main:Image

SSF2 Main: Image

Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:19 pm

MGN Username: sparty88
Just kill super armor on his neutral B and I'm cool. Nobody should be punished for landing an attack.

Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:20 pm

MGN Username: warriorman222
Currently Playing: SSBB, SSF2, COD Ghosts, Pokemon Y
sparty88 wrote:
Just kill super armor on his neutral B and I'm cool. Nobody should be punished for landing an attack.

I don't think so. maybe just increase the startup lag. The whole point an un interruptable punch that's a great K.O move. but really something that kills at 40% and makes you invincible for half a second is absurd. just lower super aromor to 10% or 20% and that's good.

I think DK is awesome. fast, strong attacks, an Up-B with great recovery, a projctile neutralizing(except like one... Ichigo), and super armor. Oh and the him moving halfway across final destination with Up B isn't a glitch, more like an exploitation of physics, because they're taking up space right when your momentum from recovery cancels, forcing you to move quicker, then combine that with air speed. Yeah.

Secondaries: :luigi: :ichigo: :bowser:

Pockets: :bandanadee: :isaac: :Pichu

Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:17 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
DK's main problems for me are comboability (although nair and uspec do alleviate this a little), a recovery that some characters can really exploit, and the biggest one, a bad approach against characters that can outzone him. He has a difficult time approaching: nair is decent, but is punishable on block and whiff; fair is completely unusable as an approach unless you make the read of a lifetime; bair is a decent approach, but you can see it coming from a mile away; nspec is punishable if you miss and has startup. I think he really struggles with Link, Samus, Megaman, Ichigo, and, most of all, Black Mage.

One more thing I want to get off my chest: DK's up-B is not invincible from projectiles. The vast majority of projectiles can be spaced to beat it, and some can just outprioritize it. The start is the only time where it won't be hit by projectiles. The super armor doesn't really matter, because it only is in effect for a tiny bit of the up-B.

IMO, based mostly on the above, DK is high tier, no more. He has good matchups against floaties and close-range fighters, has a really tough time with zoning characters that outrange him, and is even with characters that can overcome a range disadvantage with disjoints, gimps, or combos.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:50 pm

MGN Username: Sachamel
He may not be invincible, but with some projectiles is really hard to get him. Tried with Link and only the bomb really did the trick (of course bomb-arrows too). Not saying that's OP or anything, just pointing it out.

Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:41 pm
 [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next