The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 7:53 pm

[ 6 posts ] 
Native-Support Controls Discussion and What to Improvement 

MGN Username: Zalozis Zemsis
Currently Playing: Gundam Wing: Endless Dual | Melty Blood: Actress Again Current Code | Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Hey, guys. I wanted some discussion going about Native-Support how to improve them.

I thought this was going to be the factor that would make SSF2 boom in the number of Smash veterans playing the game. But many players feels the controls are incomplete, unresponsive at times, and don't offer some necessary tech that keyboard players have, thus feeling they're at a disadvantage. I want to discuss what current issues there are, what control-options could be added to fix these issues. I want to make using secondary programs like Xpadder/Joy2Key, etc. obsolete, and I believe we can do so with just a couple of changes/additions.

Luigi Movement, Cancel, Tech, etc.
YouTube Video:
SSF2 Google Drive
". . . Emphasis . . . of players helping one-another"

Last edited by Z A L O on Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:24 am

MGN Username: Godreaper
I don't use controllers. But I'd recommend using Xpadder rather than the Native feature. Why? Because you can set up C sticks to CHARGE. Or really any type of Key combination. Need a button to do a shield Drop? Boom done. (Well haven't tested this, but can be done no doubt in my mind).

Get Reaped
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqKAJyQcScs

Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:33 am
BR Member

MGN Username: KarmaPilcrow
Currently Playing: the waiting game
Waifu: Furry trash.
I feel there should be a separate menu for controller settings, and that it shouldn't just mimic the keyboard menu.
For thing, it would account for controllers with different numbers of buttons. And then there's the control options that don't currently exist, like C-charging (as mentioned above) or, most jarringly, side and down taunts.

...seriously, you need some dexterity to press the analog stick and D-pad at the same time quickly and briefly.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:50 am

MGN Username: Bedoop
Currently Playing: Rayman Origins
Waifu: CLEOD-BOT
Utah P. Teasdale (Harr) wrote:
I feel there should be a separate menu for controller settings, and that it shouldn't just mimic the keyboard menu.
For thing, it would account for controllers with different numbers of buttons. And then there's the control options that don't currently exist, like C-charging (as mentioned above) or, most jarringly, side and down taunts.

...seriously, you need some dexterity to press the analog stick and D-pad at the same time quickly and briefly.

Me, wishing I had money to commission Steven
But I technically commission him in Sandbag Memes anyway
But I can only give and receive Sandbag, which is fundamentally an oversight :sandbag:

Utah P. Teasdale (Harr) wrote:

This is another reason Sandbag's Side Taunt is completely useless
Think it's bad already?
Try using it on a controller.
Where your thumb is on the analog, your two fingers rockin' the shoulder buttons and the others taking on keeping things steady
How the hell are you supposed to use Side Taunt as a MOVEMENT OPTION when you can't even hit the goddamn button my dev dudes :bomberman:

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:37 am

Quote:
But many players feels the controls are incomplete, unresponsive at times, and don't offer some necessary tech that keyboard players have, thus feeling they're at a disadvantage

Based on my personal experience (2 years) with 3 controllers :

Main :

Secondary (Very good controller for small hands) :

And :

I personally concluded that the keyboard responded better ( PARTICULARLY ONLINE WITH LAG ).

However, it's difficult to feel without lag.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:21 pm

MGN Username: Zalozis Zemsis
Currently Playing: Gundam Wing: Endless Dual | Melty Blood: Actress Again Current Code | Super Smash Bros. Brawl
I keep calling this thing "Direct-Controls." Fixed title.

I'd disagree that Keyboard feels more responsive. Maybe more intuitive or open, because that's what the game was designed around being played on. I think Joy2Key isn't as responsive as Xpadder, which feels amazing for SSF2 or any game you play. If I'm doing tech that many people having trouble doing on even keyboard, than it's not conrollers that are problem.

The biggest and most necessary thing controllers needs to a second down-key Dash-Cancel as consistent on controller. We all understand how important this tech is in neutral and how it improves SSF2 movement game. But it is impossible to do this on controller as perfectly with as little finger-movement as keyboard without a second button. Even if you can do it, you will get hand pain from constant shoryuken-motion at such a rapid-pace, and will still be short of frame-perfect. I've been playing with that for since I began playing keyboard, because, originally as a die-hard keyboard enthusiat, it is basically mapping the keyboard layout onto a control. That way I could maintain my some effcient playstyle while playing with four players offline. I've posted this before, but example:
YouTube Video:

Much like how on a keyboard, you can perfect movement tech easily by having one finger hold a direction and another tap down. This is to emulate the ease of that by letting your thumb hold left/right on the stick, while your other thumb freely gets to time the crouch-input for Dash-Cancel and attacks out of dashes. But without this, controller will always be at a significant disadvantage when it comes to movement and neutral-game against a keyboard-player. It's also impossible to move around at SandBag's max-speed without this layout
&
Another thing would be to have this second down-input key be a 'Drop/Fast-Fall' button (Down+Dash). Because some players like the 'Tilt/Tap stick' Native-Support grants, making that extra down-input also be binded to 'Dash' will make it more than just another crouch button. For even with 'Tilt/Tap, you can't consistently pivot quick-drop with a tap-down from platforms. It maybe that coding of Tilt-stick is interfering with the consistent of a pivot input. So the 'Drop' button could will also allow for being able to do a down-input with a free fingeras you swing the control stick in the other directions, so you can get the movement everytime you attempt it. So now you have half of the Dash-Cancel, Quick-Drop, Shield-Drop, and more in one button to equal the precision a keyboard can easily press those multiple keys at once. And potentially get rid of the necessity of using a 'Dash/Walk' button on controllers. That'll free up another button a controller to be used for other options; very important for a GameCube controllers, since they lack several buttons, stick-clicks, left-shoulder, a D-pad quite out of reach that's very small as well. This would just help even more.

- Have a 'Jab/Nair' button (Left+Attack+Right)
This would actually benefit keyboards too. We've been known about getting Jab-Walk/Dash by holding Left and Right and pressing attack. But something I don't get when you are holding a horizontal direction and tap 'A' and the opposite (i.e. Hold left, then press A+Right), you get a neutral input that gives full-momentum Nair. Regardless if you're holding left/right, you will get a Nair everytime. So it's be very cool to have a designated Nair-button; something that really hasn't been in other Smash games. Having this would allow controllers to Jab-Walk/Dash as easily as keyboard, while also giving keyboards with weak keystroke-limits to perform this tech that better keyboards can simply do.

- Have a toggle to turn-off 'Tilt Stick'.
Essentially, just give the options of just making directional input completely digital and not try to emulate analog inputs. It some instants, it may feel better for player on a different controller. It would get the keyboard-feel onto controller to help some players transition easier of SSF2's controls.

It wouldn't be much to add. I ghetto'd a picture of what the menu could look like.

Click to expand thumbnail

Thank you for the discussion, guys. I really hope something gets done about this in a patch sooner or late. I want make a big push showing off all of SSF2's movement techniques in videos to display the SSF2's potential and interest Smash-veterans to play the game more often, but I want to do so when Native-Support can allow for the main options that Xpadder or some other program could accomplishes.

Luigi Movement, Cancel, Tech, etc.
YouTube Video:
SSF2 Google Drive
". . . Emphasis . . . of players helping one-another"

Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:35 am
 [ 6 posts ]