The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 4:03 am

[ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
SSF2 Strategies 
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
I'm amazed by how quickly the meta is evolving even right now, and I still see so much potential left for improvement. I'm kinda having a crisis of competency as I'm writing my Fox guide, because every time I play I see so much potential for improvement that we haven't even scratched yet. I've yet to see any Foxes exploring the vast potential of JC utilt in depth, dtilt chaining at low percents and the creative combos that can result (dtilt -> ledge-cancelled dair -> double Shine against a Zelda KO's if you take the ledge and Shine them beneath the stage), Sliding Shine, using first hit of uair in combos or exploring its meta, using ledge-cancelled Illusions (which are not that hard IMO with a little practice if you start a little bit above the platform), exploring Shine -> dair as an edgeguard, using jab against floaties at high percent, etc., etc. There's this stuff for every character. I almost feel like we need Beta to come later because we haven't scratched the surface of this game yet, and I hope that Beta is similar enough that we can sort of start where we left off as far as Fox and other vets go. Look at Melee: just in the past year, Armada switching to Fox and Leffen entering the god tier of players has pushed the meta to new heights, and that game's been around for 15 years. I'm not sure what the point is of writing a Fox guide when it's going to be obsolete tomorrow, and I'm really excited to see if I can start to implement these strats with Fox and my other characters to push my game to the next level. I feel like in a year our current tier list will be cringeworthy, kinda like Brawl's before IC's were rediscovered from Melee (handoffs of doom) or in Melee before Puff became a thing.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:04 pm
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
TheCodeSamurai wrote:
I'm amazed by how quickly the meta is evolving even right now, and I still see so much potential left for improvement. I'm kinda having a crisis of competency as I'm writing my Fox guide, because every time I play I see so much potential for improvement that we haven't even scratched yet. I've yet to see any Foxes exploring the vast potential of JC utilt in depth, dtilt chaining at low percents and the creative combos that can result (dtilt -> ledge-cancelled dair -> double Shine against a Zelda KO's if you take the ledge and Shine them beneath the stage), Sliding Shine, using first hit of uair in combos or exploring its meta, using ledge-cancelled Illusions (which are not that hard IMO with a little practice if you start a little bit above the platform), exploring Shine -> dair as an edgeguard, using jab against floaties at high percent, etc., etc. There's this stuff for every character. I almost feel like we need Beta to come later because we haven't scratched the surface of this game yet, and I hope that Beta is similar enough that we can sort of start where we left off as far as Fox and other vets go. Look at Melee: just in the past year, Armada switching to Fox and Leffen entering the god tier of players has pushed the meta to new heights, and that game's been around for 15 years. I'm not sure what the point is of writing a Fox guide when it's going to be obsolete tomorrow, and I'm really excited to see if I can start to implement these strats with Fox and my other characters to push my game to the next level. I feel like in a year our current tier list will be cringeworthy, kinda like Brawl's before IC's were rediscovered from Melee (handoffs of doom) or in Melee before Puff became a thing.

Fortunately for me, Falcon will still be using the same-old stuff just faster XD

Youtube: NinjaLobsterStudios
Stream: twitch.tv/ninjalobster

Click to expand thumbnail

Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:36 am

MGN Username: Lunary
Currently Playing: Super Smash Bros. Melee , League Of Legends , Drinking
TheCodeSamurai wrote:

Holy s*** I learned so much stuff in 30seconds

Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:40 am
BR Member

I'm too bad to actually do any of that, so hopefully you will.

@Godot: Where's all the Falcons doing dash-cancel jabs against puffballs to kill off of tiny mistakes, pivot ftilting in neutral, using reverse bair and first-hit nair to combo besides first-hit-nair-grab, exploring possible reverse-uair combos (I think, but don't quote me on this, that fthrow -> reverse uair -> grab works on a lot of characters, but it's actually pretty hard), and exploring whether Falcon Punch can be comboed into in this game? You guys have work to do!

For Doom:
For Kicks:

Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:59 am
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
TheCodeSamurai wrote:
I'm too bad to actually do any of that, so hopefully you will.

@Godot: Where's all the Falcons doing dash-cancel jabs against puffballs to kill off of tiny mistakes, pivot ftilting in neutral, using reverse bair and first-hit nair to combo besides first-hit-nair-grab, exploring possible reverse-uair combos (I think, but don't quote me on this, that fthrow -> reverse uair -> grab works on a lot of characters, but it's actually pretty hard), and exploring whether Falcon Punch can be comboed into in this game? You guys have work to do!

Well, how many good Falcons are there? Jammy, R2R, SS, and myself? I never play online, and the guy I do play against doesn't play Puff so yeah. Plus, jab has no range its hard to find the opportunity to use in between Puff's aerials (plus, if you get an opening like that, you'd be best off just hitting her with a strong aerial).

Pretty much the only move in Falcon's arsenal that has enough hitstun to potentially combo into Falcon Punch while still having low enough KB to have them stay close is dair, and I did calculate Tapion and G-Reg punch data. Just refer to my Falcon guide for that data ;)

Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:10 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Pokepen
Currently Playing: SSBM, Project M, Super Meat Boy, SSF2
Waifu: none of ur business
TheCodeSamurai wrote:

I've explored JC Utilt a bit and commonly use it as a shine followup. it sends at an angle between a Shine and an Up tilt. And I *think you can juggle at higher percentages with it than a normal Utilt. Even if it doesn't, you can still carry an opponent from center stage to the sides and follow up. I only ever do offline tournaments so nobody really sees me do it.

:metaknight: :pikachu:

Twitch.tv/pokepen - I need to stream sometime

Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:01 pm
BR Member

When I talked about JC utilt I really meant more a standardization of combo options from it, not using it. For example, uthrow uair is part of the established Fox meta while Shine -> reverse utilt -> Shine -> dair offstage isn't part of the established meta. I think most people are aware it's an option (although I'm a super grabby Fox so I usually go for shine grabs or shine -> usmash on fast-fallers), although I don't think it's part of the standard sort of meta, especially against floaties when utilt -> uair is such a threat. It's kinda like how even though M2K occasionally does fair -> Dancing Blade -> dair, it isn't in the meta to the same extent as Ken Combos: it's considered super creative.

For Doom:
For Kicks:

Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:13 pm

I felt ashamed about it........ my body is weird....

Image removed
~Kiki

Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:10 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: TSF|Cookies
Currently Playing: PM, Melee, Ultimate, Hollow Knight
See that big blue text that says "SSF2 Strategies"? Are you able to comprehend what this means? If not, let me explain. In this thread, you put in tactics on how to play SSF2 in general or under certain situations. This does NOT include random screenshots of other unrelated stuff.

Shoutouts to Harr for this sick player card!

Join Chibi Nation, the 20CR Discord for all aspiring Chibi-Robo mains!

Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:59 am
BR Member

lloyd aerials have 4 frames of landing lag when done out of Tiger blade. I'll just call this Tiger Cancelling. You can do fancy s*** with Dair sometimes with it.

I honestly hate lloyd's 1.0 changes and I think I'll be lost in mains when it gets released. I can't remember what they did to make me not like him anymore.

Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:21 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Doq
Currently Playing: one of thousands of variations of Solitaire
Waifu: Es
And here I thought Tiger Blade Aerials have 0 frames landing lag.

Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:32 pm
YIM WWW

MGN Username: Lite2Key
Currently Playing: SSF2, M.U.G.E.N., One Piece A-Edition
it's not 1.0, it's Beta.

Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:16 pm
SSF2 Developer

Lloyd's aerials never change their landlag, even if you do them out of Tiger Blade. Aerials only have less landlag when they autocancel. The only reason Lloyd's aerials seem to have no landlag is because when he lands without doing an aerial, he has the same amount of landing lag. So there is no cost to doing an aerial close to the ground, it only has the bonus of producing a giant disjoint.

Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:15 pm
BR Member

I'll add that most cancels in Smash are like that (FC aerials, autocancel aerials), because it looks kinda weird otherwise. Missile Cancelling is a good example of actually 0 landing lag, but at least to me that looks kinda off.

For Doom:
For Kicks:

Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:26 pm
BR Member

Godot wrote:
Lloyd's aerials never change their landlag, even if you do them out of Tiger Blade. Aerials only have less landlag when they autocancel. The only reason Lloyd's aerials seem to have no landlag is because when he lands without doing an aerial, he has the same amount of landing lag. So there is no cost to doing an aerial close to the ground, it only has the bonus of producing a giant disjoint.

are you trying to tell me that doing a dair out of tiger blade and having 4 frames of lag is autocancelling?

Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:32 pm
 [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next