The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 11:39 pm

[ 447 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 30  Next
McLeodGaming Mafia IV [Layton] 

Currently Playing: Fire Emblem (6-9), Shadow Dragon, Infamous, SSB, GNT4
I'm going to withdraw my vote. I had chosen nl based on experiences from the previous mafia game and the fact that there's currently little to no information on any of the players. I was under the impression that the night phase would give the town enough information to make a good lynching judgement the next day. However, Gold's argument brings up some pretty convincing points and I see now that rushing to a nl isn't exactly ideal for the town.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:40 am

MGN Username: Tid
Currently Playing: Deep™ The™ Game™
I actually disagree with BelieveBlood being scummy. His reasoning was sound, and while it wasn't well-worded, he's pretty much right.
Face facts, we are going to lose a town member tonight. 99% chance. If we NL, mafia isn't going to lose a member today. 0% chance.
The only way we can make it even slightly more likely is by lynching.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:28 am

Currently Playing: Awesomenauts, SSBB, Project M
If we are going to lynch, then who would it be? We need more evidence to know who is who.
Although, if you do a random lynch, you have a change at killing mafia, but right now, lynching could risk two townies.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:05 am

MGN Username: masterp443
Currently Playing: v0.9b
Two townies isn't a big risk, though, seeing that we have 8 townies already. Besides, there's always a chance that there's a doctor will save a townie. I'm unvoting. At this point, the mafia doesn't want to lynch it's own (also known as "bussing") without first killing a townie at night. They would have to at least secure a kill.

Now, if anyone wants to lead a random lynch, they can speak now.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:13 pm

Currently Playing: Awesomenauts, SSBB, Project M
I can see your point, Leo. I withdraw my vote.

As for random lynch, I'm not sure yet.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:50 pm

Finally people actually want to lynch on the first day. I withdraw my vote.
Unless we have any clue about who's a mafia we might HAVE to do random lynch or do a vote test.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:32 pm

MGN Username: Pach
Now that I think about it, a random lynch could help us. Not only would it narrow down the suspects, but it would also give us some more detail. The only problem I see with this is that what will happen if we hit our protective role (assuming there is only one), or a cop, or vig or other power roles we may have. Other than that, It would help us in every way, so I will Unvote. As for a random lynch, We could try lynching one of the inactive people. DJ, TSO, and DarkWolf have all been inactive so far. I don't know, what do you guys think?

Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:43 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Savvy, eh?
Currently Playing: Savvy's Art Academy
Gold wrote:
I said it before, anyone who wants to nl has either not thought through things enough/ is dumb or is mafia.

I have to hand it to you, Gold. That was brilliant. No one wants others to think that they are dumb, which means that many may “think things through” until they reach a conclusion that lines up with yours. In fact, this already seems to be the case. Additionally, you have set up everyone that does not agree with you as a suspect, at least in the eyes of those easily persuaded. An absolutely magnificent play, and I offer my hearty congratulations. Let me demonstrate, however, that I have thought this through, and find a random lynching to be a most unfavorable option.

Let us consider three possible futures that could occur as the result of our actions today, namely A, B and C:

A:
Day 1: The town lynches one of their own. We are now aware of what role we no longer have at our disposition.
Night 1: The town gains the knowledge imparted by night investigations and loses one member to the mafia.
Day 2: The town now has the results of night investigations to guide us in our lynching. The balance is 6 townies to 4 mafia/others.

B:
Day 1: The town lynches scum.
Night 1: The town gains the knowledge imparted by night investigations and loses one member to the mafia.
Day 2: The town now has the results of night investigations to guide us in our lynching. The balance is 7 townies to 3 mafia/others.

C:
Day 1: No lynch.
Day 2: The town now has the results of night investigations to guide us in our lynching. The balance is 7 townies to 4 mafia/others.

These scenarios do not take into account that there may be more than one killing role or the unlikely intervention of a doctor, but it would be easy to see where those fit in and how they would affect the status quo on Day 2.

Now, needless to say, scenario B is the most favorable. However, if we lynch randomly, it is also the least likely. A is the least favorable, and also the most likely in the event of a random lynching. C is in between the two, better than A but worse than B, but it is also the only option that we have nigh-complete control over. Again, let me restate that the town gains nothing from lynching an innocent, save the knowledge that we no longer have what could have been a very useful role. Better to keep a useful role and be unaware of it than to know what we could have had if we hadn't killed it off.

I must be clear that I am not altogether against the idea of lynching on Day 1. My only gripe is with random lynching. If someone is giving off distinct scum vibes on the first day, then by all means, let us be rid of them. But shooting at random, even with 1 in 3 odds, is hardly a wise choice.

It also bears remembrance that as of now, there is no deadline for lynching. We have time to talk a little bit more, do some more Day 1 scum hunting. Thus, while I am against random lynching, I am not against pressuring. It often sparks up interesting discussion and may reveal some unexpected things. So, to satisfy a little suspicion of mine, I’m going to Vote: Gold.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:53 pm

Actually, Brik, there is a deadline. (look at 194's last post)

Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:58 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Savvy, eh?
Currently Playing: Savvy's Art Academy
Oh, huh. Either I missed that or he edited his post after I read it. It kind of surprises me that a deadline was set so soon, actually.

Anyway, my point still stands. The deadline isn't tomorrow, and as I demonstrated, reaching the deadline with no decision would still result in a favorable outcome for the town. We still have time to play some pressure games before a decision is made.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:09 pm

How about I make things interesting and vote one of the inactive players.

Vote: DJ Wizard Cop.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:32 pm

MGN Username: masterp443
Currently Playing: v0.9b
D:
Day 1: The town lynches an independent (quite likely actually)
Night 1: Mafia kills a townie, investigative roles collect valuable evidence.
Day 2: The ratio is 7:3 town/anti town. We now have a clear/guilty, one townie death, and one independent role death, narrowing down the anti-town population, and we can actually get scumhunting/role claiming done. I do love how Gold swayed the town so quickly, though, and I'm starting to raise a little suspicion on him. I'm still at not voting ATM.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:37 pm

Isn't that just as good as random lynching and more importantly why DJ wizard I mean in general he hasn't been on MG. Why not the silent one? He has been on but not posting.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:39 pm

Meh, I don't know, just trying to do something here. Unvote.

Vote: The Silent One. Maybe this will get him to respond. (he's living up to his name, lol)

Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:40 pm

Voting for someone just for inactivity ain't my thing cause I know people forget that they ever entered. I can see how this could be use as a tactic for mafia though. Don't post and you won't arouse suspicion (not only that but everyone else starts fighting each other.) Seems like a pretty good plan right? So I'm voting The Silent One. On a side note maybe brikmaethor is right. I mean maybe gold wants us to get into the worst case senario possible, but there's no proving that. Ugh... but maybe brikmaethor want us to think that so we lynch one of our own. GOSH mafia is damn confusing!

Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:53 pm
 [ 447 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 30  Next