The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 7:48 pm

[ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Add Ping for online matches 

MGN Username: JetZflare
What's ping?

Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:56 pm

MGN Username: Starrow
Currently Playing: a lot
Waifu: Roll
JetZflare wrote:
What's ping?

Read that nerd down here.

Last edited by Raze C on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:36 pm

MGN Username: [BANNED]
Currently Playing: SSF2TAS
Ping is how many milliseconds it takes for a string of code your that is sent from your computer to get from your IP to the IP that you're sending it to and back.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:06 pm

"the ping should be shown when a person tries to enter your lobby. That way you can accept if they have a good ping with you and deny if they don't have a good ping with you right off the bat."

The idea of ping being shown both ways would be amazing as well. I also agree with the ping on lobby entry. These are honestly features that should be addressed, as the ping issue I feel is one that detracts from the overall game play. I myself honestly can't function fighting anything above 60ms, which is why my room name states my region and ping I will accept ( perhaps some of you have joined my rooms at times and seen me leave the room due to the ping being unplayable for me) "Texas only-if ping>60=roomleave" most of the time. However I do not enjoy leaving on people all the time. I would much rather have some degree of consistency to play people, rather than shoot in the dark and hope people actually took the room name seriously. I agree that an admin function should be added to room host (kick players etc).

As to the statements we should simply wait and hope these changes will come in-time, I do not think with out a slight bit of pressure much will be done in this regard. Games like Rivals of Aether ( for whats its worth) have a similar ping system that allows you to see the opponents ping pre battle. With a small change to existing features it would overall shift the entire dynamic of the online play for this community, and streamline play between people wanting to enjoy the game.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:48 pm

MGN Username: RavinRaven
Currently Playing: SSF2, The Game of Love
Waifu: Luna (Gwain Saga)
Happyfrozenfire wrote:
Ping is how many milliseconds it takes for a string of code your that is sent from your computer to get from your IP to the IP that you're sending it to and back.

Having a really high ping makes your game super laggy. You want your ping to be as low as possible for a good match. Latency is similar, although I'm not entirely certain what that is, but like ping, you also want a low latency, which is why most people set their latency to low when they create a room.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:07 pm

MGN Username: JetZflare
Happyfrozenfire wrote:

So basically, ping is the level of lag you'd get with that guy.
Support.
Ravin_Raven wrote:
You want your ping to be as low as possible for a good match. Latency is similar, although I'm not entirely certain what that is, but like ping, you also want a low latency, which is why most people set their latency to low when they create a room.

But why is there an option for high latency?

Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:37 pm

MGN Username: RavinRaven
Currently Playing: SSF2, The Game of Love
Waifu: Luna (Gwain Saga)
Some people simply can't get a good connection, and having the game attempt to optimize every lasting moment in the game may make the connection problems worse. So for those who have a really crappy computer or internet connection, it's actually better to set latency to high.

The game will still lag like sh!t in that case tho.

Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:09 pm

The problem with the high and low latency is simply that those aren't accurate terms. For some, high might be considered 400 for others like myself, I place anything above 80ms in the high category, low I consider 60 and under.

As to the question as to why people would set a higher delay generally its to smooth out the play regardless of the delay, they experience better game play with a buffer time. If your internet is made of duct tape and dreams having a higher latency allows for time to buffer your tin can and string signal being sent. This helps prevent disconnects at the trade of of major input lag and possibly frame rate.

I'm not asking for magic to happen with the latency going down, or a massive net code overhaul. I'm just asking for non subjective numbers of ping to be placed so the hardest part of fighting some one inst finding some one to fight.

Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:04 pm

MGN Username: lucas4
Currently Playing: idk who wants to know?
Waifu: sanic
then that will mean every match i join ill get kicked out since im in asia.not a complaint

motomoto likes you
i made lots of dumb posts when i was new to this thing... WH EEZE

Ravin_Raven wrote:
We're all tired of people who don't know what a signature is.

Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:56 am

Even if you are from Asia, it could be argued that you would be able to spot other players closer to you as well.

Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:55 pm
 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2