The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 4:57 am

[ 8 posts ] 
A stuffed Beer application to the BR 

MGN Username: BeerMoney
Currently Playing: SSF2 \o/
Waifu: Gilda Ire
Name (aka Handle):
Beer Money, but you can call me Beer. (Fun Fact : i don't drink any alcohol, my nickname is from a Catch Team called Beer Money who have the funniest introduction i ever seen imo)

How old are you?
I'm 18YO, 19 in around 8-9 months.

Which characters do you play in SSF2? Why do you play these characters? (Note: do not list characters that are not currently in the game)
For starting, i dosen't have any real main, but i think the characters where i have the most knowledge is Ichigo or Sora.
:blackmage: : it was the first character i played in SSF2 and i play him when i'm bored.
:goku: : i tryed him recently, still bad on him imo but i train a lot on him actually cause i like the combos and the kaioken form so maybe one day i gonna be a better goku player.
:ichigo: : it was the second character i played, i like his combos and the lot of Shunpos you can do, it make him less slower than he he's normally and more surprising versus a player who dosen't think about it imo.
:jigglypuff: : played him in Melee, i was viable on him but not godlike, when i played him first time on SSF2 i fell in love in his physics, i think they're better than the melee ones.
:samus: : i like her projectiles, but not use them a lot. I prefer her aerials and i play her with a sort of Melee Falcon-like gameplay, which is not bad at all.
:sora: : at the start, i just wanted to know why a lot of players say Sora is trash-tier.. then i played him and a liked a lot his variety of combos, now i understand why they say that (there is too few moves for killing the enemy) but tbh, you can deal with it when you see all that combo stuffs imo.

How much experience do you have with official Smash titles? (SSB64, Melee, Brawl. Include in this answer which characters you play/played.)
I have a dozens of hours on Melee, the first time i played Melee i was around 6-7 years old i think. I still have the gamecube and Melee (just a problem on the lens for read the CD so i can't play on it since 2016), i can use wavedash in matchs but not mastered it at all, short-hop, l-cancelling, i know how to provoke the master hand's glitch who make you playin' master hand, and some things like that. I never played SSB64 and Sm4sh, but i have played at Brawl once at a friends, but it was a long time ago, when i was a noob so i got rekted.

Have you ever attended any Smash tournaments? If so, give some details about the tournament (number of participants, which games, etc). How well did you place?
Nope, i think i'm a good player but not enough for tournaments.

When did you start playing SSF2?
29 January 2016 17:31:34. (Thx Properties) I know i'm only playing since 1 month but i understood pretty quickly the gameplays, tier-listing and things like that.

What is your favorite stage in SSF2? Explain.
I have 2 favorite stages, due to the fact they 2 are for 2 different things : graphics and competitive gameplay.
For the graphics, i love the Skyward Voyage from TLoZ:SS, a true voyage for sure.
For the gameplay, i hate platforms in smash games due to the way you can punish a guy on a platform over you (fun fact : i love platformers games), so i gonna say Final Destination.

Who, in your opinion, should be placed first on the SSF2 tier list? Under competitive settings why would this character perform on a higher level than all others?
I think the fact that Sheik complete the bads MU of Zelda is pretty strong. Shielda have a lot of options too due to the fact there is 2 movesets. (thx captain obvious) I think ZSS isn't bad too, but not better than Shielda in competitive settings at all.

Who, in your opinion, should be placed last on the SSF2 tier list? Under competitive settings why would this character perform on a lower level than all others?
I heard that a lot of players think Wario is the worst, not true but not false, i think it's a tie with Ness who can be punished very easily by almost everyone, who make him hard to shine on tournaments imo.

If you could make only one change to SSF2 as it currently is, what would it be and why?
Making Lloyd's Tempest an arts that move Lloyd in an arc during the Tempest, like in ToS. Why ?
-It lose his combo potential that make few players raging versus him, nerfing him on this way.
-It gain a way to recover, buffing him on his recovers options.

What is your view on items in competitive play?
They add too much RNG, and the RNG can be your worst enemy, like he can be your best friend. The RNG at all isn't a good thing in competitive play cause the good item at the good time on the good spot can give you a free stock on your opponent. (who said Light Yagami in an Assist Trophy in front of you ?) So i really don't like items in competitive play.

Do you have or can you download Skype? You don't need a mic or webcam.
I have skype, a private kype but i can give you if needed.

Why do you want to join the Smash Flash Back Room? What will you contribute? Why are you an exceptional applicant? Be as detailed as possible.
I want to join the BR cause i think i can help on tierlisting and others things that need reflexion, my main quality is my sight on the games i play, thinking about things that dosen't obvious a lot of the time and searching a lot on the theory. I give a huge part to theory to balance with my bad (for a smash player imo) pratice.

Additional information (Include in this section anything relevant to your application. This could include links to videos of yourself playing.)
I get an upgrade of 4.80 seconds on the WR of Ichigo's Target Test Lv3 (9.10 seconds instead of 13.90), but getting beaten by another dude who make a sub-9 by using another route. (which is pretty hard) So i'm 2nd on the Ichigo's Target Test Lv3.
Btw, i don't do anything of my days actually so i can be connected a lot if needed. (and sometimes in night, so in journey at American's Time)

Thx for reading !

I guess you can call me... Beer.
Some people do.
They're wrong, but they do call me that.

Knight's Code, Fourteenth Vow
Even a small star shine in darkness,
remember to carry that hope.

In training : :ichigo: :sora: :samus: :blackmage: :jigglypuff: :goku:

Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:18 am
BR Member

i like your name at least

Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:44 am
BR Member

MGN Username: KarmaPilcrow
Currently Playing: the waiting game
Waifu: Furry trash.
Sheilda has only ever been viable as a playstyle in SSF2 despite previously appearing in Melee, Brawl, and Project M. Please state, in detail, why Sheilda works in SSF2 when she never has before.

Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:14 am

I don't know how Shielda is in Brawl or Project.M, but in Melee Sheik is decent. Not strong but ok-tier and can be a good pick if you know how to play her and pick it in a matchup that advantage her.
However, Zelda is less stronger in Melee than in SSF2, notably due to the fact that her physics in Melee are just terrible : she's slow compared to the top/god-tiers (hi Falco, Fox and Marth), have one of the worst WaveDash in the game iirc, her aerial physics make her easy to punish when she combo too high in the air and she have a lack of killing moves imo. She's ok in her combo capacity and can be used with Sheik to rack up some percentages or to get a better range of teleport but i think competitively her role stop here.

And tbh, Melee Zelda don't cover the Match-Ups of Sheik that much imo, that's why i think she's better in SSF2 : a lot of the problems she have in other games are "fixed" in SSF2, making her a way better than before.

P.S. : i love your avatar goml

Some people do.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:35 am
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
You're playing Ichigo in tournament, and come up against a Fox. Use the following (NOT standard) stagelist for the further questions.

NEUTRALS
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium 3
Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Dracula's Castle

COUNTERPICK
Sky Sanctuary Zone
Mirror Chamber
WarioWare
Tower of Salvation

1. Assuming you use a 1-2-1 striking system and you get the first strike, how do you think stage striking might proceed? Give reasons for both you and your opponent's decisions.

2. Assuming you win the first game (congrats), what would you consider banning, if you got 2 bans? (You can consider more than 2 stages, but eventually you should pick 2.) What do you think they would counterpick, assuming you ban what you say you will?

3. Give your take on the Ichigo-Fox MU, covering neutral game, offstage game, punish game, etc., and concluding with a matchup ratio indicating the relative favorability for Ichigo and Fox (55-45 would be slight advantage to Ichigo, 40-60 would be substantial advantage to Fox). Ignore the stagelist I gave above: if you have any comments about stage choice, assume the standard ruleset.

4. The stagelist I gave you is a little funny. If I proposed this as a stagelist and gave the argument that it doesn't reuse platform layouts and so is the most diverse and reasonable stagelist that doesn't advantage any one type of character, and that I think the neutrals are evenly balanced in terms of space, what would you think of this? What advantages and disadvantages would this stagelist have over more conventional ones?

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:49 pm

1. Hm.. i think i gonna research striking stages that dosen't have platforms, Ichigo can do a pseudo wavedash if he do when he gonna touch the ground or if he gonna encounter a platform a air-forward, which could be very strong imo due to the fact that make him very quick and hard to predict sometimes. But in the other part i think Fox would like some FD-like stage, due to the fact they can maybe broke his combo, but i'm not a Fox player so i'm not sure about that : maybe the playstyle of the player can be different, but i gonna assume he want some FD-like stage.
In this way i think it's gonna be :
-I strike FD.
-He strike Yoshi's Story and Dracula's Castle.
-I strike SmashVille.

2. By using the sames argument as i used in the first question, i think i should consider to ban Sky Sanctuary Zone and Tower of Salvation and the Fox player should consider to ban Mirror Chamber and WarioWare.

3. On the Neutral Game, i think it's a bit hard for Ichigo, he can be kited by the enemy's Fox pretty easily. So i think the goal of Ichigo at this moment is to pass the Neutral Game quickly. So it's gonna be a 35-65 for Fox.

However, i think Ichigo's is doing pretty well versus Fox in Offstage and Punish game, due to Fox's weight an error by him could be very dangerous and decisive due to the killing power of Ichigo. Fox have few recovery options but it's isn't enough versus Ichigo's power. So, for the Offstage game i think i gonna say around 55-45 for Ichigo, and for the Punish game, maybe 70-30 or 65-35 for Ichigo.

So a 50-50 MU by counting the totality of the MU is how i see the Ichigo-Fox MU.

4. I think it's questionable, the list have more different layouts on neutrals it's true, but less stages overall. And the Dracula's Castle on neutral leaves me puzzled due to the platforms, especially when there is 2 platforms on a side and 1 on the other side. (btw, the platforms have a pattern or it's RNG-based ? i never looked at this stage that much) If you don't want to add any other stage on the list, i think it's better to switch his place with Tower of Salvation or Sky Sanctuary Zone. Cause i think it's a better counterpick stage than a neutral stage.

Advantages : more layouts on neutrals, make the first match less repetitive.
Disadvantages : less stages overall, make the matches after the first too repetitive.

Some people do.

Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:23 am
BR Member

MGN Username: KarmaPilcrow
Currently Playing: the waiting game
Waifu: Furry trash.
Thank you for applying for the Back Room, but we're sorry to say that your application has denied at this time. Please feel free to reapply after Beta is released.

Also, because you asked, Dracula's Castle's platform layouts cycle in a fixed order. Not only does this aid in competitive prediction/strategizing, but it started out as a Brawl modded stage, and Brawl modding never got sophisticated enough to support internally-randomized stages.
The order is:
  1. - - -
  2. –_–
  3. _–T
  4. = -
  5. _–_
  6. ...and then back to - - - .

Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:05 pm

Ok, thx for the information about the Dracula's Castle, i never know about the fact he's based on a modded brawl stage cause i played brawl only once (and not modded) few years ago. x)

So i maybe gonna retry some months after beta realease, i prefer getting more known in the community before reposting. ^^

Some people do.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:43 am
 [ 8 posts ]